NLRB: College athletes can unionize

Look if you're trying to spin some shite that the UA and other div I programs are not taking kids who are at best remedial projects, take it up with someone who ain't been there. I will agree that some kids get opportunities they wouldn't have had without football, and make it count for themselves.

No one selects the classes except the student. If a coach or assistant coach suggests they taking easier classes, it is only a suggestion. And remedial classes do not count towards the hours needed to be making progress.

I am not saying that all athletes are taking the most challenging classes available. But I am saying that many student athletes graduate. And some graduate with honors. It seems it is up to the student to take advantage of the opportunity. f they do not, they shouldn't blame someone else.

I agree with the main point of the article: "It's time to negotiate."

I think that scholarships will soon cover the full cost of attendance
and I think it is possible that athletes can start getting a cut for the use of their image

I agree. If a kid can sell his autograph, he should be allowed to do so. The NCAA has been too restrictive for too long.

I agree with the main point of the article: "It's time to negotiate."

I think that scholarships will soon cover the full cost of attendance
and I think it is possible that athletes can start getting a cut for the use of their image

Keep them all down. Keep the professionals down so they can keep us all down. :bow3:

In capitalism if there is something about you that can bring in money then you exploit it as much as you can. So, people buy the jersey of a college player. That money brings in a lot for the university. The player doesn't see a penny. This goes against capitalism and the fact that the system is founded upon the conflict and fight that should exist between employer and worker. I say give em a cut of money sold from jerseys, etc. At least do that. As far as unions go, I have never seen them as a threat to much of anything.

A little Google searching shows that the cost of attending Northwestern Univ is $58,950 per year.

Those who claim that these athletes are not paid are simply wrong. I don't know many kids just out of high school who make almost $60k per year. If they stay for 4 years, their compensation is worth $235,800.

That comes to $28.34 an hour for a 40 hr week. Not bad for a kid with a high school diploma, especially when he is getting a top level education. The NCAA limits direct athletic competition and practice to 20 hrs per week. So what they are getting paid to do is actually more like 20 to 30 hrs a week. At 30 hrs they earn $37.78 per hr.

Oh, and if they pay taxes on that income, at 25% (state and federal), they owe almost $15k a year in taxes.

I ask because I don't know for sure....

Is this the same NLRB with the same board members that the SCOTUS ruled unconstitutional or were those Board members discharged and replaced?

I really don't know.

Besides that. I think the first Court that hears the case throws the NLRB ruling out. They overstepped their authority

Still, the athletes help generate an enormous about of income to the university. They
need to be compensated with equity.

A little Google searching shows that the cost of attending Northwestern Univ is $58,950 per year.

Those who claim that these athletes are not paid are simply wrong. I don't know many kids just out of high school who make almost $60k per year. If they stay for 4 years, their compensation is worth $235,800.

That comes to $28.34 an hour for a 40 hr week. Not bad for a kid with a high school diploma, especially when he is getting a top level education. The NCAA limits direct athletic competition and practice to 20 hrs per week. So what they are getting paid to do is actually more like 20 to 30 hrs a week. At 30 hrs they earn $37.78 per hr.

Oh, and if they pay taxes on that income, at 25% (state and federal), they owe almost $15k a year in taxes.

On the downside, the income and the scholarships need to be taxed.

This could end non revenue producing sports

And you want to do that?

Are you a taxaholic? :doubt:

Not my call, just a side note. Are the scholarships now taxable if the players are employees? Then, if this moves beyond private institutions, are the players public employees. Each state has there own laws governing state employees.

Your talking administrative nightmares.

Still, the athletes help generate an enormous about of income to the university. They

An 18 year old assembly line makes how much? According to the UAW site, the entry level starting pay is $19.28 an hour.

Ford made $8.6 billion in pre-tax profit in 2013.

And exactly what do you mean by "compensated with equity"? Will every layer on a team be paid the same? Will it only be scholarship players?

Most colleges are limited to 85 scholarships. So you want to cut 85 students in for a percentage of the profits, in addition to the monetary worth of their full ride?

And you want to do that?

Are you a taxaholic? :doubt:

Not my call, just a side note. Are the scholarships now taxable if the players are employees? Then, if this moves beyond private institutions, are the players public employees. Each state has there own laws governing state employees.

Your talking administrative nightmares.

Exactly right. I guess they should notify the players on scholarship at Northwestern that they will owe $15k at graduation. Think we can get the IRS to wait until after they graduate to collect?

And they make tens of thousands of dollars worth of scholarship money. It may not be cash in their pockets, but it is certainly very valuable.

And the athletic depts have a LOT of people contributing to every win (or loss).

The NCAA limits direct athletic competition and practice to 20 hrs per week.

Somewhat off the topic, but do you really think any good D1 athlete only puts in 20hrs/wk to their chosen sport?

Absolutely not. I am certain they spend more time than that. But then, many people put in hours off the clock to be better prepared on the job. How many people read certain books to further their career? How many workout to be better able to do their job? How many do a lot of things to be better at what they do?

the ncaa limits direct athletic competition and practice to 20 hrs per week.

somewhat off the topic, but do you really think any good d1 athlete only puts in 20hrs/wk to their chosen sport?

absolutely not. I am certain they spend more time than that. But then, many people put in hours off the clock to be better prepared on the job. How many people read certain books to further their career? How many workout to be better able to do their job? How many do a lot of things to be better at what they do?

67.83%

Did he just equate the cost of college and count it as "income"?

Now thats some fuzzy math

Forum List

Back