NLRB: College athletes can unionize

Did anyone really read the ruling?
Only private schools can unionize, now that is a joke.
Game was forfeited because one team was on strike

Not proportionally they dont.

They do....That scholarship is plenty of compensation...

Proportionally? My son worked on some DoD projects when he was an engineering student. He was paid a fairly paltry sum for the work. I am quite sure the university was paid handsomely for the research.

Well that gets back to the OP. The NLRB decision is premised upon college football player, even at Northwestern, being treated differently from other students, and this leads to the possibility of finding they are employees.

It may be persuasive at the state level with public universities, but more importantly it makes is more difficult for the NCAA to continue with the "student athlete" fallacy and DivI football. It really has no application to sports such as soccer or golf or tennis where there is a student/athlete possibility, eg if you want to be a pro tennis player, there are avenues other than college.

What's really striking to me is that Northwestern has an impressive graduation rate. But even the lead plaintiff was saying he was steered into science classes that didn't prepare him for med school, which was where he wanted to go. Compare that to an Alabama or even Ohio State where the athletes are more or less sequestered for the protection of the student body at large. LOL

Next step

Free college for all

Why is it so hard for you liberals to justify paying for your own shit?

LOL - so universities are entitled to free labor?
Why is it so hard for far right nazis to realize there are no free rides?

Nazi's?

You make yourself less n less relevant with each post.

You called me a liberal

So you don't like someone slapping a label on you even though it's just fine for you to slap a label on someone else?

Hypocrite

Proportionally? My son worked on some DoD projects when he was an engineering student. He was paid a fairly paltry sum for the work. I am quite sure the university was paid handsomely for the research.

Well that gets back to the OP. The NLRB decision is premised upon college football player, even at Northwestern, being treated differently from other students, and this leads to the possibility of finding they are employees.

It may be persuasive at the state level with public universities, but more importantly it makes is more difficult for the NCAA to continue with the "student athlete" fallacy and DivI football. It really has no application to sports such as soccer or golf or tennis where there is a student/athlete possibility, eg if you want to be a pro tennis player, there are avenues other than college.

What's really striking to me is that Northwestern has an impressive graduation rate. But even the lead plaintiff was saying he was steered into science classes that didn't prepare him for med school, which was where he wanted to go. Compare that to an Alabama or even Ohio State where the athletes are more or less sequestered for the protection of the student body at large. LOL

Not sure which students are "sequestered" at Alabama or Ohio State. When I was there I had a couple of well known football players in classes I took. And they were fairly serious undergrad science classes. As I said, an offensive lineman graduated Summa Cum Laude with a degree in accounting. How do you sequester a 4.0 student in a curriculum with as many students as accounting?

At the end of the 2013 season, 13 players graduated. They competed in the bowl games after earning their degree.

Athletic dorm. I'm sorry my attempt at levity didn't levitate.

Oh, I see now. Yeah, they have a nice athletic dorm. My son lived in the honors dorm. Pretty nice dorm too. My son also had someone walk him thru his registration process personally. Should the engineering students that get treated differently unionize too?

Oh, and since Alabama and Ohio State are state universities, this ruling doesn't apply to them. Or at least I believe the ruling only applies to private colleges and universities.

And what was the salary of his professor(s), the ones maybe directly responsible for his research? Was it more equitable in relationship to his salary.
When head coaches are paid tens of millions of dollars for their work; the student athletes are in part responsible for the monies being taken in by the university.
Yet their compensation is not duly proportional.

They do....That scholarship is plenty of compensation...

Oh, I see now. Yeah, they have a nice athletic dorm. My son lived in the honors dorm. Pretty nice dorm too. My son also had someone walk him thru his registration process personally. Should the engineering students that get treated differently unionize too?

Oh, and since Alabama and Ohio State are state universities, this ruling doesn't apply to them. Or at least I believe the ruling only applies to private colleges and universities.

I thought the distinction between engineering and football was pretty clear. The NLRB bought the argument that football players were treated differently than other students, in that keeping them eligible and less academically stressed to facilitate their use as football players was more important than getting them the "most best" education available.

As I said, I don't that that argument would hold true with athletes of other Div I sports, except perhaps basketball and a few others in isolated instances at individual schools. It certainly wouldn't hold true for engineering students. Their value to a school is as successful engineers who participate in alumni fund drives.

And again, the impact on the ruling on state univerisities is in the finding that football players at NW are treated substantively differently from other students, and thus may be employees rather than students. If state univ players seek to unionize at the state law level, there is the NLRB to use as persuasion. More importantly, it is one more nail in NCAA coffin of arguing that Div I players at places like Ala and Ohio State are treated like all other students. Sure some kids are smart and graduate, and others are spit out to be low skill workers.

And what was the salary of his professor(s), the ones maybe directly responsible for his research? Was it more equitable in relationship to his salary.
When head coaches are paid tens of millions of dollars for their work; the student athletes are in part responsible for the monies being taken in by the university.

Without doing any Google search I can answer why that is not accurate.

Nick Saban, at the beginning of the 2008 season, was making $4 million per year. By October of 2008 the University had made $8million on merchandising. (part of Saban's compensation involves endorsements and such, so the university does not pay the entire $4 million).

So the head coach is a revenue source for the UA. The engineering prof may be good, but I doubt any of them have netted the UA tens of millions of dollars.

I thought the distinction between engineering and football was pretty clear. The NLRB bought the argument that football players were treated differently than other students, in that keeping them eligible and less academically stressed to facilitate their use as football players was more important than getting them the "most best" education available.

As I said, I don't that that argument would hold true with athletes of other Div I sports, except perhaps basketball and a few others in isolated instances at individual schools. It certainly wouldn't hold true for engineering students. Their value to a school is as successful engineers who participate in alumni fund drives.

And again, the impact on the ruling on state univerisities is in the finding that football players at NW are treated substantively differently from other students, and thus may be employees rather than students. If state univ players seek to unionize at the state law level, there is the NLRB to use as persuasion. More importantly, it is one more nail in NCAA coffin of arguing that Div I players at places like Ala and Ohio State are treated like all other students. Sure some kids are smart and graduate, and others are spit out to be low skill workers.

The ones who are spit out to be low skill workers did not take advantage of the opportunity to get their degree.

There is one area that athletes have special treatment and that is where tutors are concerned. But considering the hours working out, practicing and travelling for games, that is not unexpected. The student athletes are expected to attend classes and pass. There were days when athletes were steered into Basket Weaving 101. But I think those days are behind us, for the most part. The rules say the student athlete must pass and must be making progress towards their degree.

How many "regular" college students party too much and end up dropping out?

"The 2011 graduation rate for full-time, first-time undergraduate students who began their pursuit of a bachelor's degree at a 4-year degree-granting institution in fall 2005 was 59 percent. That is, 59 percent of full-time, first-time students who began seeking a bachelor's degree at a 4-year institution in fall 2005 completed the degree at that institution within 6 years. "

The UA football team has a graduation rate of 73%.

There were days when athletes were steered into Basket Weaving 101. But I think those days are behind us, for the most part.

If I read this correctly THAT is one of the problems cited. Football players were steered toward less demanding classes in order to keep them eligible - but which do not provide the most rigorous preparation for life after football.

Look if you're trying to spin some shite that the UA and other div I programs are not taking kids who are at best remedial projects, take it up with someone who ain't been there. I will agree that some kids get opportunities they wouldn't have had without football, and make it count for themselves.

My contention is how much money has been generated by the men football/basketball programs.
Even the male athletes whose names or images are used create a large amount of money for other companies.
They still should get a larger percentage of the money they help bring into the school.

Without doing any Google search I can answer why that is not accurate.

Nick Saban, at the beginning of the 2008 season, was making $4 million per year. By October of 2008 the University had made $8million on merchandising. (part of Saban's compensation involves endorsements and such, so the university does not pay the entire $4 million).

So the head coach is a revenue source for the UA. The engineering prof may be good, but I doubt any of them have netted the UA tens of millions of dollars.

Forum List

Back