No one can give me a rational reason why

The rational reason why citizens should not be armed is the same reason it was 248 years ago.

Brutal tyrannical governments require a defenseless citizenry.
Except 248 years ago, the tyrannical government was actually armed with weapons inferior to those owned by the citizens. The citizens had rifles, the army had muskets.

Today not only is the government better armed, but so armed by several orders of magnitude. One can't fight a 120mm gun with a 5.56mm gun.

They can, as demonstrated repeatedly throughout history.
And as was pointed out by the conquest of the native Americans, they can just as easily be rolled up and subjugated.
Still flushing the credibility right on down the drain. Keep it up, you won't have any left.
Still dream that you and your Glock are a match for an army... At least I have credibility to lose. You lost yours a long time ago when you threw in with the blob.

It doesn't have to, all it has to do is make the cost of oppression too high to sustain, and when there are millions of firearms in the hands of civilians, that cost can get very high, very quickly. Why do you think the Russian military was chased out of Afghanistan by a bunch of nomads with AK-47's? It wasn't because their military was inferior, it was because the Afghans kept chipping away at them, taking out a few soldiers here and there, knocking down a chopper by getting above it as it flew through a valley and dropping stones on it, then melting back into the countryside. Eventually, Russia decided it wasn't worth the cost and left. The same would happen with a few million rednecks armed to the teeth and hiding in the swamps. Then, to make it even more difficult, if an American democrat president really tried to use the military against US civilians, there would be mass defections and some of those advanced arms would end up in the hands of said rednecks.

That's just a numbers game. How successful would Ruby Ridge have been if there were several dozen rednecks hiding in the trees, shooting back at the agents?
I think you have been watching too many reruns of Red Dawn!

Except 248 years ago, the tyrannical government was actually armed with weapons inferior to those owned by the citizens. The citizens had rifles, the army had muskets.
Today not only is the government better armed, but so armed by several orders of magnitude. One can't fight a 120mm gun with a 5.56mm gun.
Solution:
The citizenry needs access to 120mm guns.

A gun? Hell, a weaponized drone piloted by someone who has her ear buds in listening to Sia who is hired from a temp agency will take him out.

And as was pointed out by the conquest of the native Americans, they can just as easily be rolled up and subjugated.
Easily? It took hundreds of years and a sustained, massive flood of immigration to make it happen. Are you sure you really know what you're talking about?
Still dream that you and your Glock are a match for an army... At least I have credibility to lose. You lost yours a long time ago when you threw in with the blob.
And your pilot light just went out.

I think you have been watching too many reruns of Red Dawn!
I've seen rednecks, have you? And you do realize, don't you, that there would be highly trained military personnel with them, right?

Bin Laden would have been found in 3 weeks if they had just dropped off a redneck in Afghanistan, gave him a picture of Bin Laden, and told him, "That's the guy who stole your truck".

Yep. That is what it all boils down to. They see these movies and they picture themselves doing what they see.
They also see history repeating itself, with heavily armed invading forces being forced back out by a determined, armed populace. You seem to keep forgetting that.

The Taliban did and won.

Really?

The accidental death rate involving guns is extremely low considering that there are literally tens of millions of legal gun uses annually
You actually make my point. Along with all those millions of uses, comes the sale, borrowing or theft of some of them.

That amounts to around 380,000 stolen guns every year, many of which are later used to commit violent crimes.

I've seen rednecks, have you? And you do realize, don't you, that there would be highly trained military personnel with them, right?

Bin Laden would have been found in 3 weeks if they had just dropped off a redneck in Afghanistan, gave him a picture of Bin Laden, and told him, "That's the guy who stole your truck".
...and he's got a case of Bud in the back!

Forum List

Back