No Wonder Libs Are Upset - The Surge Is Working

This just came in a few hours ago...

BAQOUBA, Iraq – Attack helicopters engaged and destroyed an ambush site, killing eight insurgents south of Khanan, June 9.

The gunmen at the ambush site engaged a Coalition Forces helicopter, who then called for additional reinforcements.

Attack helicopters, already operating nearby, moved into the area where they observed several insurgents occupying fighting positions, armed with rocket propelled grenade launchers and a mounted heavy machine gun.

The attack helicopters engaged the ambush site, killing eight and destroying the fighting positions.

More bad guys done with the extra-crispy recipe...

Comments
Comment below written by: ArmyWife
The terrorist blow up a bridge and it's breaking news for MSM.
The U.S. Military achieves something and not even a whisper.
I'm so sick of the bias. Christ, if they could they'd be giving us the bombers name, his family tree and therapists would be telling us all the things the U.S. did to him over the years to justify his act.
Or guys just saved lives and they get nada.

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2007/06/more_good_news_.html

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8PQ52V80&show_article=1

BAGHDAD (AP) - Security forces in Baghdad have full control in only 40 percent of the city five months into the pacification campaign, a top American general said Saturday as U.S. troops began an offensive against two al-Qaida strongholds on the capital's southern outskirts.

After we pump 20 thousand more "cops" into Baghdad and five months later 60% of the city remains out of control. Imagine an insurrection that engulfed NYC. Imagine pumping 20K cops into Manhattan and five months later, everything above 42nd Street is still totally lawless.

If that is the definition of "the surge is working" what would be the definition of "the surge is NOT working"?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8PQ52V80&show_article=1

BAGHDAD (AP) - Security forces in Baghdad have full control in only 40 percent of the city five months into the pacification campaign, a top American general said Saturday as U.S. troops began an offensive against two al-Qaida strongholds on the capital's southern outskirts.

After we pump 20 thousand more "cops" into Baghdad and five months later 60% of the city remains out of control. Imagine an insurrection that engulfed NYC. Imagine pumping 20K cops into Manhattan and five months later, everything above 42nd Street is still totally lawless.

If that is the definition of "the surge is working" what would be the definition of "the surge is NOT working"?

There are parts of many cities the Police do have control over

Meanwhile, the troops keep doing their jobs - to win the war

and libs keep doing theirs - trying to lose the war

36 Killed in Fierce Battle in Iraq

Jun 18 04:40 AM US/Eastern
By SINAN SALAHEDDIN
Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD (AP) - Iraqi and British forces fought a fierce battle with Shiite militiamen while conducting house-to-house searches early Monday south of Baghdad, and Iraqi police and hospital officials said 36 people were killed in the violence.
More than 100 people were injured in the fighting in Amarah, the officials said. At least three of those killed were Iraqi policemen, they said.

A doctor at Amarah's general hospital said 36 bodies had been taken to his facility, though he could not determine how many were militiamen and how many were civilians. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to media.

The British military in Iraq could not immediately comment on the reports, but a Ministry of Defense spokeswoman in London said details of the fighting were still "quite sketchy" but that there were no British casualties.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8PR4AS82&show_article=1&catnum=2

tell me a part of NYC that the police do not control

and, in a thread where you claim the surges is working, you discount the pentagon's own assessments that it isn't and post more stories of folks getting killed outside of Baghdad.

tell me a part of NYC that the police do not control

and, in a thread where you claim the surges is working, you discount the pentagon's own assessments that it isn't and post more stories of folks getting killed outside of Baghdad.

The story did not say US troops were killed - hopefully it was terrorists who are now on their way to Allah

The story did not say US troops were killed - hopefully it was terrorists who are now on their way to Allah

the DoD casualty figures for US troops tell the grizzly sotry that your self serving news release did not.

and the issue is not whether or not insurgents are dying, it is that the violence is not abating.

the subject is: your optimistic claims that the surge is working when juxtaposed against Pentagon reports to the contrary.

You would rather believe Joe Lieberman than the pentagon because he tells you what you want to hear.

Who to believe, the guy facing the enemy 24/7 or the congressional allies of the enemy?

Petraeus says security crackdown working

Possible signs of progress

•Iraq's army. The Iraqi army currently has 152,500 trained and equipped soldiers, nearly 20,000 more troops than were on the rosters in January, according to the U.S. State Department. Another 20,000 soldiers will be added to the ranks this year, the U.S. military says.

The Army now has its own Iraqi-run basic training and leadership schools. "The Iraqi army has, in general, done quite well in the face of some really serious challenges," Petraeus says. "In certain areas it really is very heartening to see what it has done."

•Anbar province. This area in the heart of the Sunni Triangle has been held up by the U.S. military as a model for Iraq. "The progress in Anbar has actually been breathtaking," Petraeus says.

Commanders credit much of the success to the U.S. military's decision to arm, train and organize Sunni provincial militias that have turned against al-Qaeda militants operating in the area.

"If you've got folks who say, 'Hey, this is my hometown, and I'm tired of the violence and if you simply train and equip me, I'll protect my hometown.' We ought to jump on that like a duck on a June bug," says Maj. Gen. Rick Lynch, commander of the 3rd Infantry Division.

Commanders elsewhere in Iraq are studying lessons that can be learned from Anbar, although Petraeus said that each area of Iraq has "unique circumstances." Anbar is mostly Sunni and does not have the volatile sectarian mix that stokes violence in other parts of the country.

•Sectarian violence. The number of unidentified bodies found in Baghdad — an indicator of sectarian violence between Sunni and Shiite Muslims — dropped from a high of 1,782 in October to 411 in April, according to an Interior Ministry official who declined to be named because he is not authorized to speak to the media.

The body count spiked to 726 in May. So far this month, the numbers are again on a "downward trend," Petraeus says. Although the bombing Wednesday of a major Shiite shrine in Samarra raises the risk of a new outbreak of sectarian violence, he says.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2007-06-13-petraeus-security_N.htm

What Petraeus says (which, you will note, is almost entirely focused on Baghdad and Anbar):

Iraq's army. The Iraqi army currently has 152,500 trained and equipped soldiers, nearly 20,000 more troops than were on the rosters in January, according to the U.S. State Department. Another 20,000 soldiers will be added to the ranks this year, the U.S. military says.

The Army now has its own Iraqi-run basic training and leadership schools. "The Iraqi army has, in general, done quite well in the face of some really serious challenges," Petraeus says. "In certain areas it really is very heartening to see what it has done."

Anbar province. This area in the heart of the Sunni Triangle has been held up by the U.S. military as a model for Iraq. "The progress in Anbar has actually been breathtaking," Petraeus says.

Commanders credit much of the success to the U.S. military's decision to arm, train and organize Sunni provincial militias that have turned against al-Qaeda militants operating in the area.

"If you've got folks who say, 'Hey, this is my hometown, and I'm tired of the violence and if you simply train and equip me, I'll protect my hometown.' We ought to jump on that like a duck on a June bug," says Maj. Gen. Rick Lynch, commander of the 3rd Infantry Division.

Commanders elsewhere in Iraq are studying lessons that can be learned from Anbar, although Petraeus said that each area of Iraq has "unique circumstances." Anbar is mostly Sunni and does not have the volatile sectarian mix that stokes violence in other parts of the country.
Sectarian violence. The number of unidentified bodies found in Baghdad — an indicator of sectarian violence between Sunni and Shiite Muslims — dropped from a high of 1,782 in October to 411 in April, according to an Interior Ministry official who declined to be named because he is not authorized to speak to the media.

The body count spiked to 726 in May. So far this month, the numbers are again on a "downward trend," Petraeus says. Although the bombing Wednesday of a major Shiite shrine in Samarra raises the risk of a new outbreak of sectarian violence, he says

What the PENTAGON says:

WASHINGTON - Violence in Iraq, as measured by casualties among troops and civilians, has edged higher despite the U.S.-led security push in Baghdad, the Pentagon told Congress on Wednesday.

The required quarterly report, which surveyed violence from Feb. 10 to May 7, found that the average number of Iraqi civilians killed or wounded each day was more than 100, nearly double the daily toll from the same period one year ago. The number of daily U.S. casualties was about 25, slightly higher than a year ago.

The average weekly number of attacks across Iraq for the reporting period surpassed 1,000, compared to about 600 weekly attacks for the same period one year ago. More than 75 percent of the attacks were aimed at U.S. forces, according to the report, which also examined political and economic developments in Iraq.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19213666/

What I said:
you obviously refuse to understand that, while Baghdad itself may be marginally safer - any city would be safer if you put twenty THOUSAND more cops on the street - the Pentagon itself has said that, throughout Iraq overall, the level of violence has NOT decreased. The Pentagon itself has said that the level of American casualties has NOT decreased.

But you want to hang on an op-ed from Lieberman and an assessment of the situation in Baghdad and Anbar by Petraeus and ignore the fact that the Pentagon itself has said that the violence in Iraq has merely changed venue - AS I PREDICTED IT WOULD - and is worse than it was last year. The surge is not working, it is merely spreading the death around the country to areas outside of Baghdad and Anbar... and American casualties have INCREASED...which seems to me to be precisely what you are willing to live with to avoid admitting you fucked up.

What Petraeus says (which, you will note, is almost entirely focused on Baghdad and Anbar):

Iraq's army. The Iraqi army currently has 152,500 trained and equipped soldiers, nearly 20,000 more troops than were on the rosters in January, according to the U.S. State Department. Another 20,000 soldiers will be added to the ranks this year, the U.S. military says.

Anbar province. This area in the heart of the Sunni Triangle has been held up by the U.S. military as a model for Iraq. "The progress in Anbar has actually been breathtaking," Petraeus says.

Sectarian violence. The number of unidentified bodies found in Baghdad — an indicator of sectarian violence between Sunni and Shiite Muslims — dropped from a high of 1,782 in October to 411 in April, according to an Interior Ministry official who declined to be named because he is not authorized to speak to the media.

The body count spiked to 726 in May. So far this month, the numbers are again on a "downward trend," Petraeus says. Although the bombing Wednesday of a major Shiite shrine in Samarra raises the risk of a new outbreak of sectarian violence, he says

What the PENTAGON says:

WASHINGTON - Violence in Iraq, as measured by casualties among troops and civilians, has edged higher despite the U.S.-led security push in Baghdad, the Pentagon told Congress on Wednesday.

The required quarterly report, which surveyed violence from Feb. 10 to May 7, found that the average number of Iraqi civilians killed or wounded each day was more than 100, nearly double the daily toll from the same period one year ago. The number of daily U.S. casualties was about 25, slightly higher than a year ago.

The average weekly number of attacks across Iraq for the reporting period surpassed 1,000, compared to about 600 weekly attacks for the same period one year ago. More than 75 percent of the attacks were aimed at U.S. forces, according to the report, which also examined political and economic developments in Iraq.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19213666/

What I said:
you obviously refuse to understand that, while Baghdad itself may be marginally safer - any city would be safer if you put twenty THOUSAND more cops on the street - the Pentagon itself has said that, throughout Iraq overall, the level of violence has NOT decreased. The Pentagon itself has said that the level of American casualties has NOT decreased.

But you want to hang on an op-ed from Lieberman and an assessment of the situation in Baghdad and Anbar by Petraeus and ignore the fact that the Pentagon itself has said that the violence in Iraq has merely changed venue - AS I PREDICTED IT WOULD - and is worse than it was last year. The surge is not working, it is merely spreading the death around the country to areas outside of Baghdad and Anbar... and American casualties have INCREASED...which seems to me to be precisely what you are willing to live with to avoid admitting you fucked up.

Predicted MM - or hoped?

CNN’s Amanpour Exemplifies Bias, Even With Honor ‘For Services to Journalism’
Posted by Matthew Balan on June 18, 2007 - 12:35.

Christiane Amanpour is a leading example of biased mainstream media journalism, particularly with regard to the Iraq war. She appeared on Monday's "American Morning" program on CNN with co-host John Roberts, and repeated the platitude that mainstream media reports "without fear nor favor... giving voice to those who don't have a voice, and just simply trying to tell the truth..." As she continued, she revealed her own bias. "...[W]e must always remember that our job is not to be part of the propaganda campaign, but to report without fear nor favor, because if we don't, we can get really into a big disaster. And I, as you know, feel strongly that that's what happened in the lead-up to the Iraq war."

Amanpour is repeating the revisionist claim that the media did not pursue the Bush administration and other proponents of action against Iraq aggressively in the run-up to the war, a claim that the MRC refuted in May. Also, in using the word "disaster," she points to her own view of not just the run-up to the Iraq war, but the entire war itself.

Christiane Amanpour was actually ahead of many of her mainstream media peers in this view. On September 10, 2003, during an appearance on CNBC, Amanpour slammed the media's supposed cowtowing to the Bush administration on Iraq.

I think the press was muzzled, and I think the press self-muzzled. I'm sorry to say, but certainly television and, perhaps, to a certain extent, my station was intimidated by the administration and its foot soldiers at Fox News. And it did, in fact, put a climate of fear and self-censorship, in my view, in terms of the kind of broadcast work we did....The entire body politic...did not ask enough questions, for instance, about weapons of mass destruction. I mean, it looks like this was disinformation at the highest levels.

http://newsbusters.org/node/13543

I do hope Pres Bush and the Commanders are ready to unleash the dogs

U.S. Sends 10,000 Troops Into Diyala to Take on Al Qaeda in Iraq

BAGHDAD — About 10,000 U.S. soldiers launched an offensive against Al Qaeda in Iraq northeast of Baghdad early Tuesday, killing at least 22 insurgents, the U.S. military said.

The raids, dubbed "Operation Arrowhead Ripper," took place in Baqouba, the capital of Diyala province, and involved air assaults under the cover of darkness, the military said in a statement. The operation was still in its opening stages, it said.

Ten thousand U.S. soldiers were accompanied by attack helicopters, Strykers and Bradley Fighting Vehicles, the statement said.

The operation was part of new U.S. and Iraqi attacks on Baghdad's northern and southern flanks, aimed at clearing out Sunni insurgents, Al Qaeda fighters and Shiite militiamen who had fled the capital and Anbar during a four-month-old security operation, military officials said.

A top U.S. military official said Monday that American forces were taking advantage of the arrival of the final brigade of 30,000 additional U.S. troops to open the concerted attacks.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,284233,00.html?sPage=fnc.world/iraq

predicted. Now, why don't you see if you can find a few brain cells to put together an actual response to the points I made?

I call them as I see them

You did not even with the troops luck in the new offensive. Are you limiting the number of lies to post per day?

how do you know I did not wish the troops luck? In fact, I wish them luck via email nearly every week.

now quit running, hiding avoiding and blathering and answer my points made in post #1113.

how do you know I did not wish the troops luck? In fact, I wish them luck via email nearly every week.

now quit running, hiding avoiding and blathering and answer my points made in post #1113.

Given how you daily push for surredner - is that your way of showing support and wishing them luck?

Forum List

Back