No Wonder Libs Are Upset - The Surge Is Working

Petraeus says security crackdown working

By César G. Soriano, USA TODAY
BAGHDAD — When Gen. David Petraeus drives through the streets of Iraq's capital, he sees "astonishing signs of normalcy" in half, perhaps two-thirds of Baghdad.
"I'm talking about professional soccer leagues with real grass field stadiums, several amusement parks — big ones, markets that are very vibrant," says Petraeus, commander of the roughly 150,000 U.S. troops in Iraq. The scenes provide a sign that the new strategy in Iraq is working, although many problems remain, he told USA TODAY in an interview Wednesday.

Five months after President Bush ordered an increase of 20,000 U.S. troops in Iraq, data suggest that sectarian violence in Baghdad has declined. Other tentative signs of progress have included a rise in Iraqi army enlistments and some quality-of-life improvements such as fewer electricity blackouts in the capital.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2007-06-13-petraeus-security_N.htm

BAGHDAD — When Gen. David Petraeus drives through the streets of Iraq's capital, he sees "astonishing signs of normalcy" in half, perhaps two-thirds of Baghdad.
"I'm talking about professional soccer leagues with real grass field stadiums, several amusement parks — big ones, markets that are very vibrant," says Petraeus, commander of the roughly 150,000 U.S. troops in Iraq. The scenes provide a sign that the new strategy in Iraq is working, although many problems remain, he told USA TODAY in an interview Wednesday.

Five months after President Bush ordered an increase of 20,000 U.S. troops in Iraq, data suggest that sectarian violence in Baghdad has declined. Other tentative signs of progress have included a rise in Iraqi army enlistments and some quality-of-life improvements such as fewer electricity blackouts in the capital.

you obviously refuse to understand that, while Baghdad itself may be safer - any city would be safer if you put twenty THOUSAND more cops on the street - the Pentagon itself has said that, throughout Iraq overall, the level of violence has NOT decreased. The Pentagon itself has said that the level of American casualties has NOT decreased.

But you want to hang on an op-ed from Liebereman and an assessment of the situation in Baghdad by Petraeus and ignore the fact that the Pentagon itself has said that the violence in Iraq has merely changed venue - AS I PREDICTED IT WOULD.

I realize it is probably hard to think clearly with Bush's DICK so deep down your throat.:eusa_wall:

RSR:

Bush fans have been assuring me for four years that things are getting better; that the insurgents are on the run; and that bush policies are working well.

What assurances can you give me that you'll finally be right this time?

Overall, the number of violent attacks in Iraq in the last four months, is the highest it's been, for the entire war:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_1xQeOPE9ePU/RnLHcEhC1cI/AAAAAAAAAa0/BLKvsfbhNxI/s1600-h/unabaedviolence.jpg

Overall, the number of violent attacks in Iraq in the last four months, is the highest it's been, for the entire war:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_1xQeOPE9ePU/RnLHcEhC1cI/AAAAAAAAAa0/BLKvsfbhNxI/s1600-h/unabaedviolence.jpg

You are aware of course that the TeT offensive in 1968 during the Vietnam war had the highest number of attacks and casualties for both sides? It was hailed by the press as the turning point, that we had lost. The truth of course was that the North had lost and only the US loss of will turned a military victory into a political defeat.

You are aware of course that the TeT offensive in 1968 during the Vietnam war had the highest number of attacks and casualties for both sides? It was hailed by the press as the turning point, that we had lost. The truth of course was that the North had lost and only the US loss of will turned a military victory into a political defeat.

It kind of scares me that you're making Iraq-Vietnam comparisons. :shock:

BTW: Your point about a tactical US military victory at Tet is immaterial. No third-world army is ever going to defeat the US army on the field of battle. "Military victory" at this point is not only meaningless, but impossible. You won't find a commander in Iraq, who will say that we can "win" this militarily. Everyone from the Defense Secretary to General Patreus has said we can't win militarily. It's beyond the US to militarily win this thing. It's up to the Iraqis to get along with each other.

Well done. A thoughtful, sober, and mature come-back.

How old did you say you were?

Another lib who has a problem with what realy is going on

Dems have done all they can to undermine the war - they have no desire to win the war - and to a majority of Dems victory in Iraq is NOT important

Terrorists are doing what Dem want them to do - keep up the attacks and they will keep pushing for surrender

Dems are the best allies the terrorists have

Dems have done all they can to undermine the war - they have no desire to win the war - and to a majority of Dems victory in Iraq is NOT important

Seriously, how old are you?

Seriously, how old are you?

Hard for you to counter the facts? When libs can't they fall back on changing the subject

Lets save time, lets say you have commented on my age, educational level, weight, race, and where I live

Now, do you want to get back to the topic at now or continue to do the Liberal Two Step?

Well, rsr, if you can't form a coherent post beyond "Democrats are terrorist-lovers!", then I suggest you write to every republican representative and presidential candidate you can, and demand that they continue escalating the war and spending tens of billions more tax dollars on iraq.

Then, we'll sort in in 2008, which party the country wants to deliver the congress and the presidency to.

Hard for you to counter the facts? When libs can't they fall back on changing the subject

Now, do you want to get back to the topic at now or continue to do the Liberal Two Step?

good idea. let's DO get back to the topic at hand. Why do you continue to ignore posts that blow holes in your rosy scenario?

you obviously refuse to understand that, while Baghdad itself may be safer - any city would be safer if you put twenty THOUSAND more cops on the street - the Pentagon itself has said that, throughout Iraq overall, the level of violence has NOT decreased. The Pentagon itself has said that the level of American casualties has NOT decreased.

But you want to hang on an op-ed from Liebereman and an assessment of the situation in Baghdad by Petraeus and ignore the fact that the Pentagon itself has said that the violence in Iraq has merely changed venue - AS I PREDICTED IT WOULD.

now...will you address that point with something more reasoned than "terrorists love libs"?

I'll wait, but I certainly won't hold my breath.

Well, rsr, if you can't form a coherent post beyond "Democrats are terrorist-lovers!", then I suggest you write to every republican representative and presidential candidate you can, and demand that they continue escalating the war and spending tens of billions more tax dollars on iraq.

Then, we'll sort in in 2008, which party the country wants to deliver the congress and the presidency to.

Libs do have a problem being reminded of their own words and actions. Dems have done nothing but undermine the war, and oppose every method used to combat the terrorists

In 08 it would seem your party is going with yet another Northeastern liberal - libs never do learn form history or their past mistakes

good idea. let's DO get back to the topic at hand. Why do you continue to ignore posts that blow holes in your rosy scenario?

now...will you address that point with something more reasoned than "terrorists love libs"?

I'll wait, but I certainly won't hold my breath.

Keep smiling over the bad news MM - your way of showing support of the troops

1st Cavalry Division Public Affairs Multi-National Division – Baghdad

CAMP LIBERTY, Iraq, June 5, 2007 — Improved security in some areas of Baghdad has allowed life to flourish for some residents. Temporary barriers erected throughout the city have created what military officials call “safe markets” and “safe neighborhoods.”
“Now we have a thriving market area that is starting to grow and a revitalization process that will make the Iraqis really proud and recognize that things have improved.”
U.S. Brig. Gen. Vincent K. Brooks . Lt. Col. John Rudolph, the assistant chief of staff of civil military operations for Multi-National Division – Baghdad, said the market areas have benefited from the temporary barriers, keeping suicide car bombers at bay while allowing commerce to continue. The marketplace in the Rusafa District in what is known as “Old Baghdad” on the east side of the Tigris River is one of those success stories. “Shoppers feel much safer going into the market now and they’ve actually seen an increase in the number of local citizens using that market,” Rudolph said. “It’s a perception, an attitude that the stigma of the random violence has lessened.” The Doura Market is often a stop for visiting dignitaries to Baghdad in the southern Rashid District. The 1st Cavalry Division’s 2nd “Black Jack” Brigade Combat Team from Fort Hood, Texas, conducted the initial assessment of the area and started the revitalization project there. Doura Market, Rudolph said, went from an unorganized street market of only a few dozen vendors to a thriving market place with more than 200 sellers now. He said the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division from Fort Riley, Kan., now operates in Rashid, and even more improvements are under way.

http://airforcepundit.blogspot.com/2007/06/more-good-news-from-iraq.html

Forum List

Back