Now that trump has admitted he knew nothing about the Stormy pay out...

Right, that's what I'm getting at, what campaign finance laws? He didn't use campaign money, and as far as were aware, he, himself, never made the payment.

Sure, it looks fishy, and I'm sure we can all agree that he knew, but it's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

Also, Clinton did break laws. For one, he had sexual encounters in the people's house, inside the oval office. I'm sure there is a myriad of ethics laws he broke. Also, there are the sexual misconduct and sexual harassment laws he broke.

Yes, it does look fishy. Especially when you consider the timing and what the reason was for. The NDA was signed 2 weeks before the election, which makes it look like it was meant to keep her quiet about the affair. If it wasn't to help Trump, then why did they wait so long to do it? Trump had the affair with Daniels back in 2006, why didn't they have it made up then?

And, because it's payment to help Trump with the election, it can be considered an "in kind" donation. But, because it's for 130,000 which is much more than the allowed 2500, it looks like it was an illegal campaign contribution.
But the illegal campaign contribution doesn't really work here does it? I mean, any particular party can only contribute x amount TO a party candidate, this was a payment FROM a party candidate to a private citizen, so it can't really be deemed a "campaign contribution", can it?

Unless you are saying that the Trump campaign contributed $130,000 to itself, by using trumps personal money to pay someone to keep quiet, which in turn benefits the campaign. The problem with that is, that also is not a "contribition" either, as, I'm pretty sure the candidate is allowed to use as much of their own money in a campaign as they want, right?

In layman's terms, essentially, trump paid $130,000 for service to the campaign, which would be no different than Trump spending that money on advertising, or air time.

I'm not saying it's right, what I'm asking is, is that illegal? It's not like stormy contributed the money, she was paid for a service.

Yes, it was crappy, and it was wrong for Trump to do it, but was it illegal, was it an impeachable offense?

It can be considered an "in kind" contribution. If Trump knew nothing about the NDA, as well as hasn't paid for it (he hasn't yet according to the lawyer), it would be a contribution from a private citizen to assist Trump in winning the election, and therefore is considered a campaign contribution. And, it's several hundred thousand more than allowed.
But it wasn't a donation...she was paid

According to the way the lawyers look at the law, it's because of the circumstances that it is considered an in kind donation.

The lawyer is a Trump supporter, as well as works for Trump.

The lawyer paid Ms. Daniels to sign an NDA so she wouldn't talk about her affair with Trump.

Trump denies knowing anything about the NDA and Ms. Daniels.

The lawyer then says that Trump didn't pay him, and he did this out of the goodness of his heart because he has worked for Trump for a long time and has a friendship with him.

Because the timing of the signing of the NDA was 2 weeks prior to the election, and not right after the time the affair happened (2006), it could be interpreted that the reason for the NDA was to help Trump win the election.

Because both Trump and the lawyer have said that Trump never paid the lawyer for it, and because it was done to help Trump win the election, it is considered a campaign contribution because of the purpose of the money. It could be said that the lawyer was making an "in kind" campaign contribution.

And, because it is 130,000 instead of 2,500, it is too much money for a legal campaign contribution, which is why it is being looked at.
Ok, I get it, and I'm sure Trump knew, but, what if he truly didn't? What is his attorney is telling the truth and he acted alone? This would mean Trump is not guilty as he technically didn't accept the contribution.

Seems what they need is to determine what he knew and when. Otherwise, the only one in jeopardy is the lawyer.

Yes, it does look fishy. Especially when you consider the timing and what the reason was for. The NDA was signed 2 weeks before the election, which makes it look like it was meant to keep her quiet about the affair. If it wasn't to help Trump, then why did they wait so long to do it? Trump had the affair with Daniels back in 2006, why didn't they have it made up then?

And, because it's payment to help Trump with the election, it can be considered an "in kind" donation. But, because it's for 130,000 which is much more than the allowed 2500, it looks like it was an illegal campaign contribution.
But the illegal campaign contribution doesn't really work here does it? I mean, any particular party can only contribute x amount TO a party candidate, this was a payment FROM a party candidate to a private citizen, so it can't really be deemed a "campaign contribution", can it?

Unless you are saying that the Trump campaign contributed $130,000 to itself, by using trumps personal money to pay someone to keep quiet, which in turn benefits the campaign. The problem with that is, that also is not a "contribition" either, as, I'm pretty sure the candidate is allowed to use as much of their own money in a campaign as they want, right?

In layman's terms, essentially, trump paid $130,000 for service to the campaign, which would be no different than Trump spending that money on advertising, or air time.

I'm not saying it's right, what I'm asking is, is that illegal? It's not like stormy contributed the money, she was paid for a service.

Yes, it was crappy, and it was wrong for Trump to do it, but was it illegal, was it an impeachable offense?

It can be considered an "in kind" contribution. If Trump knew nothing about the NDA, as well as hasn't paid for it (he hasn't yet according to the lawyer), it would be a contribution from a private citizen to assist Trump in winning the election, and therefore is considered a campaign contribution. And, it's several hundred thousand more than allowed.

According to the way the lawyers look at the law, it's because of the circumstances that it is considered an in kind donation.

The lawyer paid Ms. Daniels to sign an NDA so she wouldn't talk about her affair with Trump.

The lawyer then says that Trump didn't pay him, and he did this out of the goodness of his heart because he has worked for Trump for a long time and has a friendship with him.

Because the timing of the signing of the NDA was 2 weeks prior to the election, and not right after the time the affair happened (2006), it could be interpreted that the reason for the NDA was to help Trump win the election.

Because both Trump and the lawyer have said that Trump never paid the lawyer for it, and because it was done to help Trump win the election, it is considered a campaign contribution because of the purpose of the money. It could be said that the lawyer was making an "in kind" campaign contribution.

And, because it is 130,000 instead of 2,500, it is too much money for a legal campaign contribution, which is why it is being looked at.
Ok, I get it, and I'm sure Trump knew, but, what if he truly didn't? What is his attorney is telling the truth and he acted alone? This would mean Trump is not guilty as he technically didn't accept the contribution.

Seems what they need is to determine what he knew and when. Otherwise, the only one in jeopardy is the lawyer.

Doesn't matter if Trump accepted the donation or not. The only one currently in trouble for this is the lawyer himself, because it is considered an "in kind" donation. And, if Trump throws him under the bus, that is dangerous to do because Cohen has been Trump's lawyer for many years and he knows where all the bodies are buried.

Trump's biggest worry right now is Cohen being charged with something serious and then being offered a deal if he rolls over on Trump.

Doesn't matter if Trump accepted the donation or not. The only one currently in trouble for this is the lawyer himself, because it is considered an "in kind" donation. And, if Trump throws him under the bus, that is dangerous to do because Cohen has been Trump's lawyer for many years and he knows where all the bodies are buried.

Trump's biggest worry right now is Cohen being charged with something serious and then being offered a deal if he rolls over on Trump.
Roger, I don't care whether they have a D or an R next to their name, I want to see all politicians held accountable. It's not like I'm rooting for or against Trump, I want to see everyone held to the same standard.

Forum List

Back