NRA Board Member Blames 'Sympathy Factor of Kids Getting Killed' for Possibility of Gun Control Laws

not based on heat of the moment passions and emotions
Another boilerplate talking point...we've been trying to have this discussion for 20 years, so spare us that "heat of the moment" nonsense...
Then, address the prima facie point of my first post.

IN order to have this debate, as any freshmen debater in high school would tell you, you first need to prove significance. The numbers aren't there dear sir. It isn't significant to the nation at large, only to the loved ones of those slain. There are far more effective ways to harden soft targets of deranged individuals.

The only reason we are having a national conversation right now, is b/c there was yet another shooting that the press won't let go as an isolated tragedy. The national media elites, the cultural elites in Hollywood, the governing elites, they all want to make it into an, "epidemic," when clearly, it is not.

These things happen, occasionally. Keeping it in the news, 24/7, make it seem like it is a regular occurrence. It isn't.

This isn't a significant problem next to the fact that freedom is essential to the character and culture of this nation.

images
If you fools think that it will help your cause to post these silly, far rightwing memes, by all means...go ahead.

#LOLGOP

You're too fucking ignorant to grasp the meaning of it.....but that's no surprise. You understand very little .

Asslips, are you in favor of young, law-abiding black men not being able to buy an AR-15?
The NRA was founded to arm all Americans, of which a significant portion happen to be black.
I dont think anyone needs an AR-15.

Nobody really needs one, but everyone should have the privilege of owning one.

Personally, I'm an AK-47 guy myself. Does that mean I'm "colluding" with the Russians?

Longtime NRA Board MemberCharles Cotton is concerned gun control laws may actually pass in the wake of the Parkland, Florida high school massacre, and he's blaming the "sympathy factor of kids getting killed."

Marjory Stoneman Douglas student survivors have won the hearts of many across the nation, and have effectively countered the tired arguments of the NRA and gun advocates.

Cotton posted to a pro-gun message board, the Texas CHL Forum, responding to a member upset that bump stocks may actually get banned. Bump stocks are add on devices that effectively turn semi-automatic assault weapons into automatic weapons.

In a thread titled, "Can it be?: We may lose more gun rights under Trump than Obama?" just before midnight Monday Cotton wrote, "the reality is we could well see bump-stocks 'taken away' because the votes are probably there."

cotton.jpg

"Wake up people and see what's happening!!!! Bloomberg and Hollywood are pouring money into this effort and the media is helping to the fullest extent. We've never had this level of opposition before, not ever. It's a campaign of lies and distortion, but it's very well funded and they are playing on the sympathy factor of kids getting killed."

It's unclear what the "lies and distortion" are that Cotton claims.

He also told members the NRA needs to triple its membership to fight gun safety.

"If you really want to make a difference, then start recruiting NRA members every single day. The NRA better be 15 million strong soon, or this is only going to get worse."

Cotton is no stranger to controversy. In 2015 he said that physically disciplining a school-aged child by "paddling" them might stop him from “having to put a bullet in him later.”

Just months before that Cotton blamed the pastor of the Charleston church for his own murder by a white supremacist terrorist who killed nine bible study members.

Cotton, in addition to serving on the NRA's Board of Directors, also serves on the Board of Trustees of the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund.

Source: NRA Board Member Blames 'Sympathy Factor of Kids Getting Killed' for Possibility of Gun Control Laws Passing
Nice bunch over there, huh?

The numbers may be small but the emotional effect isnt. No one freaks out over someone getting killed by a lawn mower. Its more a a curiosity. Kill a couple of kids and youre messing with a natural instinctive desire to protect.

Tightening gun laws wont prevent school shootings. Just make it harder.
That is precisely what I am getting at.

"but the emotional effect isnt."

Laws should be passed based on reason, logic and statistics, not based on heat of the moment passions and emotions.

There are many more effective ways to harden schools and make it more difficult for these shootings to occur than to infringe upon the rights of others.
There have been plenty of laws passed that werent based on any of those criteria. Anti Miscegenation laws for example.
Thank you.

And how ridiculous were those laws?

huey-newton-774048.jpg
Very ridiculous and they didnt even result in anyone dying. Its just common sense to tighten gun control. No one needs an AR-15 for example.

So a young black man, who's been risking his life for his country, shouldn't be able to buy a modern weapon of choice in America? :cuckoo:

What's so scary about an AR-15, asslips?

Because lemme tell ya, you'd do better to be more afraid of me with a bolt gun.

You think them little bitty bullets do damage? Pah!
I have nothing against him buying a weapon. I have 5 of my own.

To me there is nothing scary about an AR-15 but I understand the effect the sight of one has to the uninitiated. Pretending the AR-15 isnt modeled after the military M16 rifle is silly.

I've shot 50 cals and M60's in the military. You think those should be allowed on the streets too?

Longtime NRA Board MemberCharles Cotton is concerned gun control laws may actually pass in the wake of the Parkland, Florida high school massacre, and he's blaming the "sympathy factor of kids getting killed."

Marjory Stoneman Douglas student survivors have won the hearts of many across the nation, and have effectively countered the tired arguments of the NRA and gun advocates.

Cotton posted to a pro-gun message board, the Texas CHL Forum, responding to a member upset that bump stocks may actually get banned. Bump stocks are add on devices that effectively turn semi-automatic assault weapons into automatic weapons.

In a thread titled, "Can it be?: We may lose more gun rights under Trump than Obama?" just before midnight Monday Cotton wrote, "the reality is we could well see bump-stocks 'taken away' because the votes are probably there."

cotton.jpg

"Wake up people and see what's happening!!!! Bloomberg and Hollywood are pouring money into this effort and the media is helping to the fullest extent. We've never had this level of opposition before, not ever. It's a campaign of lies and distortion, but it's very well funded and they are playing on the sympathy factor of kids getting killed."

He also told members the NRA needs to triple its membership to fight gun safety.

"If you really want to make a difference, then start recruiting NRA members every single day. The NRA better be 15 million strong soon, or this is only going to get worse."

Cotton is no stranger to controversy. In 2015 he said that physically disciplining a school-aged child by "paddling" them might stop him from “having to put a bullet in him later.”

Just months before that Cotton blamed the pastor of the Charleston church for his own murder by a white supremacist terrorist who killed nine bible study members.

Cotton, in addition to serving on the NRA's Board of Directors, also serves on the Board of Trustees of the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund.

Source: NRA Board Member Blames 'Sympathy Factor of Kids Getting Killed' for Possibility of Gun Control Laws Passing

Much nicer than your bunch...using children, dead and alive, to further your agenda

Asslips, are you in favor of young, law-abiding black men not being able to buy an AR-15?
The NRA was founded to arm all Americans, of which a significant portion happen to be black.

Personally, I'm an AK-47 guy myself. Does that mean I'm "colluding" with the Russians?
I disagree but thats my opinion.
In all likelihood you are colluding with the russians.

The numbers aren't there dear sir.
The significance is not in the numbers, but in the extremity of the tragedy and the resulting, widespread psychological effect. You try to load the debate from the beginning, and I reject your charlatan's effort to do so. I do bot have to produce large numbers of deaths from airplane disasters in order to pass new laws to curb a particular sort.
The only reason we are having a national conversation right now, is b/c there was yet another shooting that the press won't let go as an isolated tragedy.
Bullshit . 100% self serving bullshit, and yet another cheater's attempt to stop discusdion before it begins. No, the reason we are having a PROMINENT national discussionnow is because you propagandists have been too successful for 20 years, and people are sick of it. This is happening not just because we have had yet another tragedy, but because, fir 20 years, fuck all has been done about it.

Why? Precisely because of people like you, armed with your specious arguments and rhetorical tricks. I mean, let's be honest, the target audience you are tasked with conning isn't exactly a collection of the country's brightest. ;)

cotton.jpg

Much nicer than your bunch...using children, dead and alive, to further your agenda
No, you just let them die and say fuck you to anyone who wants to get guns out of the hands of the violent and insane because RIGHTS.

Maybe I am. If they paid me enough, I'd canvas against whatever next candidate you idiots are going to run.

Aww hell. I'd actually do it for free.

Agreed.

It's an issue of balance though. It is an issue of understanding the magnitude of the problem. It really isn't that big of a problem. The media over-hypes it, so it seems like it is a huge problem when really, it isn't. Sure, it is a tragedy when it occures, but it doesn't necessitate the infringement of the rights of millions of people.

This problem is so small, does it justify creating laws that will affect millions and millions of people over something so infinitesimally small?

There are much better ways to stop school shootings than gun control laws.

The governing elites just would prefer that the population be disarmed though.

If these elites pass gun control laws, do you think these laws would ever apply to private security companies that provide them protection? Seriously?
The numbers may be small but the emotional effect isnt. No one freaks out over someone getting killed by a lawn mower. Its more a a curiosity. Kill a couple of kids and youre messing with a natural instinctive desire to protect.

Laws should be passed based on reason, logic and statistics, not based on heat of the moment passions and emotions.

There are many more effective ways to harden schools and make it more difficult for these shootings to occur than to infringe upon the rights of others.
There have been plenty of laws passed that werent based on any of those criteria. Anti Miscegenation laws for example.
Thank you.

huey-newton-774048.jpg
Very ridiculous and they didnt even result in anyone dying. Its just common sense to tighten gun control. No one needs an AR-15 for example.
Actually, police carry them.

If no one needed them, swat teams wouldn't have them.

Do you trust the government to always be there when you call?

I know places in the inner city if I asked a brother, the answer would most definitely be a resounding, "NO," not when riots break out.

Saved by a Semi automatic “assault” rifle, the story of Koreatown during the LA riots - Bullets First

cotton.jpg

No, you just let them die and say fuck you to anyone who wants to get guns out of the hands of the violent and insane because RIGHTS.

Now you're just fucking lying, asshole. I've said all along to focus on preventing those types from obtaining guns and to focus on the real problem. mental issues

Now take your BS and stick it up your decrepit ass, bitch. Your shit is getting old

Maybe I am. If they paid me enough, I'd canvas against whatever next candidate you idiots are going to run.

Most of you cons readily support russian meddling. You are all idiot traitors.

Youre missing the point. There are a lot of things that cause more deaths than shootings. The point is no one wants a school shooting to be the reason their child dies.

Agreed.

It's an issue of balance though. It is an issue of understanding the magnitude of the problem. It really isn't that big of a problem. The media over-hypes it, so it seems like it is a huge problem when really, it isn't. Sure, it is a tragedy when it occures, but it doesn't necessitate the infringement of the rights of millions of people.

This problem is so small, does it justify creating laws that will affect millions and millions of people over something so infinitesimally small?

There are much better ways to stop school shootings than gun control laws.

The governing elites just would prefer that the population be disarmed though.

If these elites pass gun control laws, do you think these laws would ever apply to private security companies that provide them protection? Seriously?

Thank you.

huey-newton-774048.jpg

So if you get pulled over, you are going to shoot the cop? Good to know.

Believe whatever you want to. All that matters is that Hillary isn't President, nor will she ever be.

Is this a great country or what? :biggrin:

You are unclear about the lies and distortion, really?

Why Are We Afraid of Being a Victim of a Mass Shooting?
Mass Shootings and the Fear of Being a Victim
"The lifetime risk of dying in a mass shooting is around 1 in 110,154 — about the same chance of dying from a dog attack or legal execution.

There is a three times greater chance of dying from a sharp object than from a mass shooting. The chance of dying from lightning, though, is lower.

In fact, there are many more likely ways to die than in a mass shooting.

Heart disease and cancer are at the top — the risk of dying is 1 in 7. And even dying in a motor vehicle crash is higher — 1 in 113."

<snip>

"The researchers suggest that seeing or hearing news related to an attack several hours a day might prolong the stress reaction triggered by the initial “collective trauma.”

It’s difficult to know the exact link between media coverage of an attack and people’s fears, but the content that people watch may matter.

“We do tend to see that people who have greater exposure to different types of news media, as well as people who view more crime dramas, tend to express higher levels of fear,” said Schafer, “but it’s not clear which is causing the other.”

People may develop anxiety from watching the news, or people who are anxious may watch the news in order to calm their worries.

News media can also skew the perception of how frequent these events are."
Youre missing the point. There are a lot of things that cause more deaths than shootings. The point is no one wants a school shooting to be the reason their child dies.

So let's ask parents what reason they would want their child to die.
Thats a stupid question.

Yes, it is. But no more stupid than the comment that precipitated it.

Believe whatever you want to. All that matters is that Hillary isn't President, nor will she ever be.

Is this a great country or what?

That is too bad. We need to take this country back from the neurotic gun lovers and religious freaks.

cotton.jpg

Now you're just fucking lying, asshole. I've said all along to focus on preventing those types from obtaining guns and to focus on the real problem. mental issues

Now take your BS and stick it up your decrepit ass, bitch. Your shit is getting old
No need to get testy.
My shit is exactly the same as your shit, if you'd take the time to listen. It isn't just about guns, I agree. There is a lot to do. But controlling who has guns is part of it, and I think controlling military style weapons is part of it, too. Even body armor. Who needs that unless they're planning on killing a bunch of cops?

Yeah he saw you dweebs standing on the bodies of dead children screaming gun control too
Standing on the bodies of dead children? You mean standing up for children who don't want to be Republican "target practice".

Is this a great country or what?

That is too bad. We need to take this country back from the neurotic gun lovers and religious freaks.

How can we be "neurotic" if we're not wearing pink pussy hats, screaming at the sky, and believing some harebrained conspiracy about "Russians hacked muh election"?

You lost me there.

Forum List

Back