NRA School Shield: Why should the NRA be the voice of how schools are protected?

That's the problem when you only have criticisms and no suggestions. Do nothing. But..but..that one guard that time didn't stop an incident. So we don't need guards. But should they have a gun? I mean that guy had a big gun so would a small one be ok? Or do they need a bigger gun? But the bigger ones are evil. What if the bad guy has an eviler one? What if he has a less eviler one but get a hold of the guards' bigger evil one?

In the end all the semantics don't matter. It's all subterfuge to find a way to get rid of the big evil assault rifle which plays almost no part in the overall number of firearm deaths. In fact I can tell you from experience I could do more damage with a couple of pistols than that tool did.

Bottom line is nuts will always exist. And if I was standing at the end of that hall his day would not have gone as planned. If a school wants to put armed security in let them.

Last edited:
I used to go to a high school that had a police officer assigned to it as a "liaison". It put the appropriate fear into most kids who cut up, but if someone really wants to shoot up a school and they already know there's going to be someone armed there. It's either going to break their resolve or harden it. They'll either end up not going through with it or they'll just make better plans. Depends entirely on the intent of that person.

In general, I personally think arming schools should be a state decision.

I used to go to a high school that had a police officer assigned to it as a "liaison". It put the appropriate fear into most kids who cut up, but if someone really wants to shoot up a school and they already know there's going to be someone armed there. It's either going to break their resolve or harden it. They'll either end up not going through with it or they'll just make better plans. Depends entirely on the intent of that person.

The estimated cost for GA would be $47 million. We don't have the $.

I honestly wonder if the CN shooter would have been deterred--was capable of that sort of reason --lost in his own world as he seemed to be. Lives might have been saved.

Banks are providing such security. fwiw.

Let the issue be 'thrashed out'. I don't think I can contribute anything more meaningful.

How GA will resolve this --I cannot say. Every dime available for education would seemingly need to go into improving academic growth. Unless there is some 'other money'--federal funds, perhaps--I don't know how we can do this.

[

lanza wasnt the owner, his mother was. he had to kill her to take possesion of her arsenal.

How would a waiting period or smaller clips have prevented the other two from doing what they did?

You really think you can get a gun easier than a credit card or a car? Really? I'm talking legally, not in some back alley.

Yes, I think the other two are more closely monitored than gun ownership is.

Do I have to go through a federal background check to buy a car? Can I buy a car from anyone on the street?

If I am a felon am I legally disenfranchised from owning a car or Credit card.

Your comparisons are lacking.

ONe third of gun purchases happen with no background check.

If you oppose having armed guards at schools, please explain why.

Because we shouldn't have to have them.

You're right, but the left has suggested every conceivable answer but mental health ones. The true answer to the problem. Better to choose the solutions that have little chance of working, so you can spend more money and control lives more too.

Mental health care should be strengthened and gun laws should be stricter, maybe a gradual tightening of requirements and proof of mental health and NEED past a basic handgun or hunting rifle. You are free to blame the left for thinking inside a box, but you're doing the same thing.

Personality I don't care about the gun issues. I am not sure why anyone wants to own an assault rifle but then again I am not sure why they should not be allowed. People saying it is for defense against the government is just plain laughable, in my opinion.

Any way I don't know what the NRA could have said that would not have been twisted by the anti-gun crowd. Even when they said nothing they were being lambasted.

The NRA had nothing to do with any school shooting. The NRA does not promote gun violence they promote quite the opposite. Taking all the guns from everyone would not make a insane creep like the shooter any more sane.

What I would like to know is where is the widespread condemnation of video game producers? I mean, you have the NRA which teaches responsible, safe and legal gun ownership being excoriated as a problem. Yet I hear little of a ban on video games which I can see as a teaching tool for the very thing that happened. Of course the shooter was a bit on the insane side to say the least. But I can see it is a small leap from killing digital people to the real thing. After all I just saw on the TV where the Army had a bunch of geeks being trained to make them a digital game to teach recruits how to kill. So I am not sure what the anger at the NRA is all about with no corresponding complaint against video game producers or those who make violent movies.

I have seen the armed guard idea expressed by many groups not just the NRA.

And why would the NRA take any blame for this insane use of a gun, they hold no responsibility. BTW I do not belong to the NRA. The NRA is being used as a feel good target by those who do not realize it is the moral decay in this country that is more likely the cause.

I think we also could use mental health screening for abortions and abortion laws should be stricter..Maybe a gradual tightening of restrictions on it and proof of why you need one. That would save a lot of childrens lives, no?

hows that for thinking outside the box

I think we also could use mental health screening for abortions and abortion laws should be stricter..Maybe a gradual tightening of restrictions on it and proof of why you need one. That would save a lot of childrens lives, no?

Oh, look, Stupie is using the deaths of children to advance her political agenda.

Actually, it's not an important issue to me, other than the gun-whacks are allies of the Plutocrats, voting against their own (and my) economic interests. The friend of my enemy is my enemy.

But to the point, if we had stringent rules on who could have guns and made sure that we checked them out like the way we would if we let them buy a car or get a credit card, whacks like Loughner and Holmes and Lanza wouldn't get them.

lanza wasnt the owner, his mother was. he had to kill her to take possesion of her arsenal.

How would a waiting period or smaller clips have prevented the other two from doing what they did?

You really think you can get a gun easier than a credit card or a car? Really? I'm talking legally, not in some back alley.

No checks at gun shows or internet.

Go to WalMart. No checks there for rifles.

Terrorists on our federal lists can buy anything they want.

Domestic terrorists can buy anything they want.

Illegals can buy anything they want.

Mentally ill can buy anything they want.

Criminals can buy anything they want.

All legal.

And more laws are going to change which one of the above? Making it harder to buy a deer rifle is going to do what to stop an insane jackass from stealing guns? Or a felon from obtaining guns illegally?

Oh, look, Stupie is using the deaths of children to advance her political agenda.

no more than you all are...

I honestly wonder if the CN shooter would have been deterred--was capable of that sort of reason --lost in his own world as he seemed to be. Lives might have been saved.

Let the issue be 'thrashed out'. I don't think I can contribute anything more meaningful.

How GA will resolve this --I cannot say. Every dime available for education would seemingly need to go into improving academic growth. Unless there is some 'other money'--federal funds, perhaps--I don't know how we can do this.

Banks are providing what such security? Armed guards?

But an armed guard didn't stop the Columbine massacre! And an armed guard wouldn't necessarily stop any other school massacre!

More guns and armed guards is not the answer.

if someone is determined to commit suicide there is little that can be done to stop them Noomi

suicide by cop

Because we shouldn't have to have them.

You're right, but the left has suggested every conceivable answer but mental health ones. The true answer to the problem. Better to choose the solutions that have little chance of working, so you can spend more money and control lives more too.

Mental health care should be strengthened and gun laws should be stricter, maybe a gradual tightening of requirements and proof of mental health and NEED past a basic handgun or hunting rifle. You are free to blame the left for thinking inside a box, but you're doing the same thing.

I'm in favor of more training before you can own a gun and even more after that for carrying permits. Definitely some type of personality screening and mental evaluation too. Need? No, the Constitution is reason enough for a person to own any type of gun. Thank you for at least discussing this in more concrete terms Ravi. I appreciate it.

And when they attack a church? Arm the Churches
Movie Theater? Arm the Theaters
Little League game? Arm the umpires

NRA Nirvana

Banks are providing what such security? Armed guards?

yes. Armed guards outside banks.
I'm in Atlanta and this isn't unusual. Not at every branch of every bank but 'some'. One day I was going into a Panera that shared an entrance with a bank and there was a security officer. Good for both.

In the surrounding area --from time to time there are 'incidents'. I suppose that is the reason?

I infer that banks are 'paranoid' when it comes to security--here, everywhere?

Last edited:

I'm in favor of more training before you can own a gun and even more after that for carrying permits. Definitely some type of personality screening and mental evaluation too. Need? No, the Constitution is reason enough for a person to own any type of gun. Thank you for at least discussing this in more concrete terms Ravi. I appreciate it.
I disagree that the constitution allows for us to own any type of gun. But of course that is the sticking point in the discussion.

You don't need an AR-15 for self defense, unless of course lax gun laws have put AR-15s into the hands of criminals. Anyone with good training can thwart off a home invader with one well placed bullet.

At lease we agree on something, and that is a start.

I disagree that the constitution allows for us to own any type of gun. But of course that is the sticking point in the discussion.

You don't need an AR-15 for self defense, unless of course lax gun laws have put AR-15s into the hands of criminals. Anyone with good training can thwart off a home invader with one well placed bullet.

who are you to decide what people need?
Pro-lifers don't think we need so many abortions, but there they are

That's assuming there is only one home invader. They normally have groups of men, not merely one.

Forum List

Back