Obama Activates 50 year old Aircraft to Fight ISIL

that's how much he cares about our Military men and women. he's going to crap all over us until that door is slammed on him as he's leaving. NOT MUCH LONGER, not much longer.

Now, list your qualifications. Mine aren't particularly that impressive so you should have to problem besting them. But since you asked about mine, let's here yours.

You flew tankers as a pilot? If so, how much tactical flight planning and weapons planning did you do? I know the answer: Zero.

You want to "here" mine. Not that it matters to the subject but:

RF-4C pilot and instructor pilot 1985-1989.
OA-37B pilot and FAC 1989-1991.
T-38 Instructor Pilot 1991-1994.
A-10 pilot and FAC 1994-1996.

I also spent plenty of time as a ground FAC. I also served a half tour on the battle planning staff as chief of close air support. So I'll keep my own counsel when it comes to CAS.

With air refueling, you don't have to go all the way back to your base and eat up valuable range time. You can hang out in the tanker orbit until you have a target, go service the target and return to the tanker track if you have weapons left over. Rarely does a four-ship of A-10s come off their first target empty.

Wow!

None a single one of those aircraft had even flown as prototypes when I was flying! You kids had all the fun.

None a single one of those aircraft had even flown as prototypes when I was flying! You kids had all the fun.

I bet you clipped the grass in your day. Young men and aircraft. It's a wonder so many live. I look back 30 years and shudder at the stupid things I did.

Sorry longknife. We've strayed off your topic.

Now, list your qualifications. Mine aren't particularly that impressive so you should have to problem besting them. But since you asked about mine, let's here yours.

You flew tankers as a pilot? If so, how much tactical flight planning and weapons planning did you do? I know the answer: Zero.

I also spent plenty of time as a ground FAC. I also served a half tour on the battle planning staff as chief of close air support. So I'll keep my own counsel when it comes to CAS.

With air refueling, you don't have to go all the way back to your base and eat up valuable range time. You can hang out in the tanker orbit until you have a target, go service the target and return to the tanker track if you have weapons left over. Rarely does a four-ship of A-10s come off their first target empty.

The only real differences between the OV-10 and A-10 is the combar range WITHOUT refueling. You are going to have to make at lest 3 trips back to the tanker with your A-10 and you will need to use the Tanker just to get to where it's needed. This is why the A-10 isn't real high on the CAS success rate. Meanwhile, that mission is being covered by B-1s, B-52s, F-15s, F-16 and F-18s.

The A-10 did make the news on attacking the fuel trucks. The A-10 Gun Footage looked a bit hinky until I noticed that the picture was always moving to the Left and the target never changed distance. Those wonderful A-10 gun camera shots were shot by the AC-130U Gunships. There were a bunch of A-10s there and only two AC-130Us. Just watching that video shows that most of the killing was done by Sprectre. This included people trying to flee on foot. And the Spectre doesn't have to refuel to go just about anywhere in the Middle East. Can Spectre do CAS, yes, but like the A-10, mistakes are costly. If the A-10 is like swatting flies with a 9lb sledge, then the Spectre is like lake fishing with a hand grenade.

For CAS and FAC, the OV-10 does a better job than the A-10. Kid, you weren't around when these birds were at war. If you were in trouble and looked up and saw an OV-10, life just got a lot longer. Even if the OV didn't fire a shot he still called in AC from up to 100 miles away who will really shorten the other guys life span. Just remember, there are no mare than 4 years difference between the age of the A-10 and the OV-10. IN fact, both of these were in service at the same time and since the A-10 ceased manufacturing in 1978, there may be a few OV-10s younger than the A-10.

BTW, the PI is drooling over F-16s and they have the best version of the OV-10. They have the M model which got the upgraded engines, 4 bladed props, beefed up wings and airframe, more gas, more pillons, upgraded electronics and more. We can get those for a song. These also have done the job of a Fighter for the last 30 years. The PI insurgents are scared to death of these things. It is about the best AC for CAS and FAC that has ever been produced.

The A-10 can swat flies with a Sledge but it can't swat flies with a fly swatter. The OV-10 can do both without destroying non combatants and real estate.

The A-10 was NOT to replace the OV-10. It was designed to fight a war in Europe that never happened. Who knows, it might still happen with Putin being nuts but I doubt it. And the current stable without the A-10 can handle the job that A-10 was purpose built for.

If we ding the OV-10 for age, then you should also be doing that for the A-10 as well.

Last edited:
OV-10D_CV-60_1985-300x200.jpg

We flew them in 'Nam for God's sake! And, is anyone amazed that sometimes the old Tried and True can get done what the New Kids can't? Read the story @ Antiquated aircraft resurrected by Obama administration to fight ISIS

it can hang around for a few hours at a time

but why not the A-10

The only real differences between the OV-10 and A-10 is the combar range WITHOUT refueling. You are going to have to make at lest 3 trips back to the tanker with your A-10 and you will need to use the Tanker just to get to where it's needed. This is why the A-10 isn't real high on the CAS success rate. Meanwhile, that mission is being covered by B-1s, B-52s, F-15s, F-16 and F-18s.

The A-10 did make the news on attacking the fuel trucks. The A-10 Gun Footage looked a bit hinky until I noticed that the picture was always moving to the Left and the target never changed distance. Those wonderful A-10 gun camera shots were shot by the AC-130U Gunships. There were a bunch of A-10s there and only two AC-130Us. Just watching that video shows that most of the killing was done by Sprectre. This included people trying to flee on foot. And the Spectre doesn't have to refuel to go just about anywhere in the Middle East. Can Spectre do CAS, yes, but like the A-10, mistakes are costly. If the A-10 is like swatting flies with a 9lb sledge, then the Spectre is like lake fishing with a hand grenade.

For CAS and FAC, the OV-10 does a better job than the A-10. Kid, you weren't around when these birds were at war. If you were in trouble and looked up and saw an OV-10, life just got a lot longer. Even if the OV didn't fire a shot he still called in AC from up to 100 miles away who will really shorten the other guys life span. Just remember, there are no mare than 4 years difference between the age of the A-10 and the OV-10. IN fact, both of these were in service at the same time and since the A-10 ceased manufacturing in 1978, there may be a few OV-10s younger than the A-10.

BTW, the PI is drooling over F-16s and they have the best version of the OV-10. They have the M model which got the upgraded engines, 4 bladed props, beefed up wings and airframe, more gas, more pillons, upgraded electronics and more. We can get those for a song. These also have done the job of a Fighter for the last 30 years. The PI insurgents are scared to death of these things. It is about the best AC for CAS and FAC that has ever been produced.

The A-10 can swat flies with a Sledge but it can't swat flies with a fly swatter. The OV-10 can do both without destroying non combatants and real estate.

The A-10 was NOT to replace the OV-10. It was designed to fight a war in Europe that never happened. Who knows, it might still happen with Putin being nuts but I doubt it. And the current stable without the A-10 can handle the job that A-10 was purpose built for.

If we ding the OV-10 for age, then you should also be doing that for the A-10 as well.
I'm not dinging any proven weapons platform if a trebuchet had a use in modern combat I would say use them. I don't know anything about the OV-10 however every Combat Veteran I know swears by the A-10. When it comes to opinions on warfare I'll take a combat Vet's over any civilian, politician, or military brass any day.

The OV-10 is one of the best thought out combat aircraft ever conceived. I'm a combat theater where AAA and SAM's are a minimal threat, or no threat at all, it's a beautiful CAS platform.

Its almost as utilitarian as a helicopter.

I'm not dinging any proven weapons platform if a trebuchet had a use in modern combat I would say use them. I don't know anything about the OV-10 however every Combat Veteran I know swears by the A-10. When it comes to opinions on warfare I'll take a combat Vet's over any civilian, politician, or military brass any day.

Starting late this year, the F-35 goes operational. The USAF demanded a hell of a lot more out of the A than the Marines demanded out of the B model. And it looks like it's going to come through. Starting late this year, USAF will start replacing some very tired old F-16s and F-15s. Next year, they start replacing the A-10 with the F-35 one unit at a time.

Now to keep this on track, there are NO New A-10s to be had. There are 300 hundred of them total including the ones in DM. The problem is, it will leave somewhat of a gap in CAS (already proven that the B-1 and the B-52 does that better than the A-10), Recon (why would I used a slow bird for Recon with today's Recon Packages), Sandy (you have to refuel the A-10 on the way in and then on the way out but it's all we have in the USAF Inventory).

The OV-10D+ has the same problem with the Under powered engines as the A-10. But the OV-10M was produced strictly for the PI that corrected that problem. Boeing has an upgraded OV-10 to compete in the CAS competition. Unlike the others, Boeing doesn't have to built it from the ground up. They start with the M model and bring it into the 21st century. In case you aren't aware of it, the OV-10M was still in production in the 80s and 90s. And we can have them for a song and a dance. And the Manufacturing Dies and Tools are still around. That means that the upgraded version can be in production in a matter of months if not month.

The A-10 does have one really, really big gun. But in a CAS.Recon, sandy situation, the canon is worthless. When they try and use the AC-130U for CAS then there is a huge problem. This means we are lacking something with less firepower, more orbit time and more. It's a gap that was left when they retired the OV-10 and A-37 and has never been filled. Regardless, even if you keep the A-10, somethings needs to fill that gap.

The Prez didn't force the Marines to use the OV-10. The Marines decided to just do it. The Marines never have had a single A-10 and needed something with range and firepower for their own CAS/Recon/Sandy use. They have the OV-10D+ in their inventory and decided to use it. And it's doing one hell of a job.

The OV-10 is one of the best thought out combat aircraft ever conceived. I'm a combat theater where AAA and SAM's are a minimal threat, or no threat at all, it's a beautiful CAS platform.

Its almost as utilitarian as a helicopter.

Not to mention, in the Middle Eastern Environment, it can actually land and pickup the Aircrew by itself in a Sandy operation. We haven't had that capability since the OV-10 was retired or the A1E was given away.

:cuckoo:^^^
“You speak an infinite deal of nothing.”
William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

You have no idea what you're talking about and you're not briefed in as to what's going on.

When did a ground bound support guy from a tanker unit become an expert on CAS?

"...it can actually land and pickup the Aircrew by itself in a Sandy operation. We haven't had that capability since the OV-10 was retired or the A1E was given away."

Step away from the video games. The SPAD was picking up downed aircrew from jungle paths and clearings in SEA? :cuckoo:

Go out to the local airfield. Learn to fly. Gain some credibility. Then you can see how silly your posts are. No pilot would post your rubish.

Somewhere along the line, you convinced yourself you're an expert on something you know absolutely nothing about. You're making a fool of yourself.

Last edited:
^^^

You have no idea what you're talking about and you're not briefed in as to what's going on.

When did a ground bound enlisted support guy from a tanker unit become an expert on CAS?

Oh, did I leave out the 4 months I worked as a GFAC? I almost lost my mind due to some stupid bunch of knuckle draggers being where they weren't supposed to be. Wrong side of a line you can't see walking right up to an NVA Armed Transport company. Already vectored a F-4 with Tide and 80 octane. The target was the Convoy. I radioed the sitrep and said I could fire one shot to get them off the trail. "Stand Down and Report". I had Hijacked the F-4 like was done many times. Usually, he gets home and gets a 1st class ass chewing and the FAC gets home and gets the same. The ass chewings were part of the game. This time, my debriefing happened different. No Ass Chewing. I was reclassified to what I was supposed to in the first place and shipped to the States within 24 hours.My days of War were over. Beware of Special Indentifiers in your records and that 3 days of special training.

I do have trouble taking AF Systems advice from people that have to put on their Weapons, "Front towards Enemy". Not once did I see an AF stencil on anything that said, "Pointy end towards Enemy". Considering that most of the Army during that time frame was Draftees, We joked that that the Army was filled with people not smart enough to get into the AF and Navy.

"...it can actually land and pickup the Aircrew by itself in a Sandy operation. We haven't had that capability since the OV-10 was retired or the A1E was given away."

Step away from the video games. The SPAD was picking up downed aircrew from jungle paths and clearings in SEA? :cuckoo:

Go out to the local airfield. Learn to fly. Gain some credibility. Then you can see how silly your posts are. No pilot would post your rubish.

Somewhere along the line, you convinced yourself you're an expert on something you know absolutely nothing about. You're making a fool of yourself.

I didn't say the Spad did it. I said it was capable to do it. And it had the space in the back since it was designed to carry 8 Paratroopers. The OV-10 could handle 5 or 6 paratroopers and even drop them. One of the mods that was considered was increasing the OV-10s Airframe to handle up to 10 Paratroopers and calling an Armed Transport. The OV-1 had the same capability. But you can't use this capability for Sandy Pickup in a Jungle and rice paddy environment. You can use this in the Middle East.

I suggest you get a copy of Janes and actually look up what you are harping about. Most of us old hands have a special fondness to the OVs.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Enough with you.

"I was reclassified....and shipped to the States within 24 hours"

For folks reading this that don't know, in Air Force parlance, he got fired for being incompetent. A FAC's first and foremost job is to know where the friendlies are AT ALL TIMES. Being yanked out of theater and shipped home within 24 hours in time of war denotes a serious screw up--and not the first.

Last edited:
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Enough with you.

"I was reclassified....and shipped to the States within 24 hours"

For folks reading this that don't know, in Air Force parlance, he got fired for being incompetent. A FAC's first and foremost job is to know where the friendlies are AT ALL TIMES. Being yanked out of theater and shipped home within 24 hours in time of war denotes a serious screw up--and not the first.

You are assuming that it happened in Vietnam. Wrong. It was part of our own little war to the west of Vietnam where the Army and Marines were not invited. Those grunts weren't supposed to be there. If you knew anything about the terrain then you would know that you could be 10 yds away and not be aware of the other person. My vantage point was to see up the Trail, not down the trail. Something I was told over and over while being asigned to a Shrink stateside, "They weren't supposed to be there, it wasn't your fault". Yes, I was fired from that job. But not long after that I made two grades on minimum time and got two cream assignments. Officially, I wasn't supposed to be there either. But the AF Command Post knew I was. How the hell could anyone foresee this event. None of us knew for certain that the convoy was going to be either. Luck was involved. In the Army, I would have been part of the 50% club and seperated. The AF didn't play that stupid game. If we could be fixed we got fixed. The AF Doctors didn't really understand PTSD yet but we could not be seperated even had we wanted to be. As far as I can see, the Army is still playing the 50% club game and that should be criminal.

Let me be blunt, I notice your nym is willie pete. That's an Army's common term. That means you were NOT USAF. You can try and squirm on that one but WP rounds are only used in the USAF on Gunships and only on specific missions. Those little excursions were too many and sometimes on purpose. While the AF was overlooked by the news media, there were too many news reports of the Army crossing the border. Direct result was, Kent State and the denouncement of the War by Walter Kronkite. Slick Move, there Exlacs.

I didn't say the Spad did it. I said it was capable to do it. And it had the space in the back since it was designed to carry 8 Paratroopers. The OV-10 could handle 5 or 6 paratroopers and even drop them. One of the mods that was considered was increasing the OV-10s Airframe to handle up to 10 Paratroopers and calling an Armed Transport. The OV-1 had the same capability. But you can't use this capability for Sandy Pickup in a Jungle and rice paddy environment. You can use this in the Middle East.

I suggest you get a copy of Janes and actually look up what you are harping about. Most of us old hands have a special fondness to the OVs.

The SPAD was the A-1 Skyraider, which was a Navy Korean War relic. It had a crew of one and carried no passengers. I think you are extremely confused.

The SPAD was the A-1 Skyraider, which was a Navy Korean War relic. It had a crew of one and carried no passengers. I think you are extremely confused.

Actually, there is one time that an A-1E landed and picked up a pilot. The Skyraider by many names did all kinds of things and was a single seater (AD-4), then there was the two seater, then the 3 seater (electronics, and more) and then there was the one I am listing below with the larger canopy. The AD-5 was adopted by the AF. It was given away by the Navy as they just got their newest toy, the A-4 and A-7. The AD-5/A1E had tandem seating with dual controls. In the back, it could handle all kinds of electronics and when it was empty, it could handle up to 10 passengers.

You must have read about the A-1A thru A-1D which were AD-4s.

Douglas A-1E Skyraider > National Museum of the US Air Force™ > Display

Skyraider, AD-5, A-1E pilot report

The A-1 was one of the most versatile aircraft ever to fly. Even one MOH winner flew one. Of course, he was using the fact that there was extra seating on the A-1E, the Enemy was closing too fast to get the Choppers and other A1-Es into play. So he dropped in, popped the canopy, the rescued pilot bailed in and he took off. His bird was shot to pieces and barely made it home. Of course, any other bird in that bad of shape would never have made it off the ground. The A-1E makes the A-10 look like paper meche for durability.

Actually, there is one time that an A-1E landed and picked up a pilot. The Skyraider by many names did all kinds of things and was a single seater (AD-4), then there was the two seater, then the 3 seater (electronics, and more) and then there was the one I am listing below with the larger canopy. The AD-5 was adopted by the AF. It was given away by the Navy as they just got their newest toy, the A-4 and A-7. The AD-5/A1E had tandem seating with dual controls. In the back, it could handle all kinds of electronics and when it was empty, it could handle up to 10 passengers.

The A-1 was one of the most versatile aircraft ever to fly. Even one MOH winner flew one. Of course, he was using the fact that there was extra seating on the A-1E, the Enemy was closing too fast to get the Choppers and other A1-Es into play. So he dropped in, popped the canopy, the rescued pilot bailed in and he took off. His bird was shot to pieces and barely made it home. Of course, any other bird in that bad of shape would never have made it off the ground. The A-1E makes the A-10 look like paper meche for durability.

The part I am not buying is the 10 passenger bullshit.

Reality doesn't change just because you made a bone headed statement and are trying to prove it right. No matter how many times you say it, it's still just as boneheaded.

Forum List

Back