Obama Extending Broadband Internet Access to Public Housing Residents

Where do you think these "private entities" get the money to pay for this free shit? They pass the cost on to their paying customers.

I don't think you understand the business side of this. This is not a case of businesses shelling out money just to take a loss. These companies are investing money, to open up access to a new market. The reality is that the services these companies provide you and me, which we pay through the nose to receive, have a remarkably low overhead cost. You might pay $100 a month for your cable and internet, but the overhead cost is only about $5 for you to receive the service. You pay it because you agree to do so, and you have the money such as to be able to afford it.

However, there are people, such as those living in public housing, who are much less likely to buy, because their ability to afford the price is diminished by comparison. They constitute a low priority for expansion for the company. But, if the ability to deliver services can be achieved, they still constitute a potential client base for profitable expansion. The price at which they are willing to buy may be lower, but if you can target, and successfully woe, that audience with service offers at pretty much any price above the [very low] overhead, then the ultimate result is more profit.

We juggle pretty much the same thing in the hotel industry. Imagine a hotel with 300 rooms, and tonight the rate is $189. The direct overhead (labor to clean room, materials used, cost of water and electric consumed by guest) for a one night stay is only about $10-$15, and even after you factor in the indirect overhead (operational costs, such as groundskeeping and maint., real estate costs, etc.) the total overhead is only about $25. But we charge what people are willing to pay. Now, let's say that tonight I am running at 50% occupancy. We want to sell as many additional rooms as possible, at as high of a rate as possible. But at the end of the day, as long as I sell at more than $25, I am still generating profit. So, if a bus pulls up to the front door and a social worker steps off and asks me if I would be willing to consider selling 20 rooms tonight at $50 each for displaced orphans on an educational road trip, why the hell not? I'm generating increased profits while also performing a generous deed, all at the same time. There's no costs to pass on to other clients. I'm not taking a loss, I'm generating more profits by expanding my client base.

It's exactly the kind solution that we Republicans should laud. Everybody wins. I make more money, I get to chose how and when I will exercise my generosity, and someone in need receives the kind helping hand of a willing provider.

You aren't a Republican. Don't be a jake.

No...the thing is you dumbfucks think the shit is going to be free.
You're wrong,we as paying customers will be footing the bill.

If you really believe that...

1 - You're wrong, and haven't a fucking clue how to operate a business.
2 - Stop paying, by taking your business elsewhere. Nobody is forcing you to buy cable from anyone.

Is it too much to ask to get through one day without having to argue with an ignorant uninformed liberal? This thing is tapping into millions in government grants, it took me about 2 minutes to find that out by reading about this program.

You keep saying this but you can't provide a fucking :link:

Well the op article comes from CNS news so I knew I needed to google the topic and get more information and low and behold, I was right....

CNS conveniently only copied and pasted the first few paragraph's of HUD's announcement and didn't give the pertinent information on the subject.

1. the government is NOT paying for some poor customer's internet service...so get that PIECE OF CRAP LIE out of your pretty little heads.

Here's the rest of the story our lovely CNS piece of garbage, journalistic site (my ass) did not post... (You guys are to easily fooled by your right wing (supposed) media.... shakes head....

and, I will say...it sounds like a good program, with tons and tons and tons and tons of private financial support as well.

-------------------------------
HUD, is collaborating with EveryoneOn and US Ignite who worked with private- and public-sector leaders to build local partnerships and gather commitments that will increase access to the Internet for low-income Americans. These partnerships will bring broadband, technical assistance, and digital literacy training to students living in public and assisted housing across America.

ConnectHome is informed by the great work of local communities across the country. The Housing Authority of the City of Austin (HACA) has created a transformational series of public-private-partnerships to narrow the digital divide in its communities and will serve as a mentor city for all 28 Connect Home communities.

Today’s announcement marks a major step in providing communities across the nation tools to improve digital opportunity for HUD-assisted housing residents. ConnectHome establishes a platform for collaboration between local governments, members of private industry, nonprofit organizations, and other interested entities to produce locally-tailored solutions for narrowing the digital divide.

Eight nationwide Internet Service Providers including; Google Fiber, Cherokee Communications, Pine Telephone, Suddenlink Communications, Vyve Broadband, CenturyLink, Cox Communications and Sprint have announced they are partnering with mayors, public housing authorities, non-profit groups, and for-profit entities to bridge the gap in digital access for students living in assisted housing units.

Skills training is essential to effectively taking advantage of all the Internet offers. HUD is collaborating with Best Buy, The James M. Cox Foundation, a Cox Communications-affiliated Foundation, GitHub, College Board, in partnership with Khan Academy, 80/20 Foundation, Age of Learning, Inc., The Public Broadcasting Service (PBS), The American Library Association, Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Southeastern Oklahoma State University and the Durant Independent School District to offer new technical training and digital literacy programs for residents in assisted housing units.

HUD is also taking major steps to provide communities across the nation tools to improve digital opportunity for its residents. Today, Secretary Castro announced that HUD will:

• Begin rulemaking that requires HUD-funded new residential construction and substantial rehabilitation projects to support broadband internet connectivity.
  • Provide communities with the flexibility to spend portions of their Choice Neighborhood Implementation Grants on local broadband initiatives and associated connectivity enhancements,including approximately $150 million dedicated to the current competition.
  • Begin rulemaking to include broadband planning as a component of the Consolidated Planning process, which serves as a framework for a community-wide dialogue to identify housing and municipal development priorities.
  • Supply guidance and share best practices with HUD-funded grantees on how to more effectively utilize HUD funding to support broadband connectivity.
  • Integrate digital literacy programmingand access to technology into related initiatives.
HUDNo 15-090

Ugh.

Translation: ugh...words...bad.

Not only am I a Republican, I am more Republican than you will ever be. Big government, statist kunts like you think that hating Obama makes you Republican. You sell your souls to hate Obama, and have long abandoned everything that conservatism and the Republican party truly stand for. We don't need lousy CINOs like you expanding the government and trashing private sector solutions to our social problems, just because you're obsessed with one man.

Not only am I a Republican, I am more Republican than you will ever be. Big government, statist kunts like you think that hating Obama makes you Republican. You sell your souls to hate Obama, and have long abandoned everything that conservatism and the Republican party truly stand for.
That's a lot of crazy in one post there, buddy.

If it helps some find meaningful work I'm down.
If it keeps some kids on the xbox instead of the streets I'm down.
If it helps just a few in each project escape poverty each year I'm down.
If it helps some learn what the public schools failed to teach them I'm down.

The cost to my personal cable bill will be miniscule so yeah. Sure it will be abused but if my above comments happen then it's worth it. It could certainly pay off better than standard welfare with the wealth of knowledge freely available

Last edited:
Hey dumb ass... the tax payers ARE THE PRIVATE SECTOR. These corporations are merely charging their existing customers through their government supplied monopolies to fun this supposedly free shit that is being paid for by the private sector. I pay my effing bills and a portion of my bill goes to fund these moochers. This is nothing more than a welfare tax.

:cuckoo:

In select markets, Sprint will offer free wireless broadband access to families with kids in public housing. In Seattle, CenturyLink Inc will provide broadband service for public housing residents for $9.95 a month for the first year.

Cox Communications Inc [COXC.UL] is offering home Internet for $9.95 a month to families with kids in school in four cities in Georgia, Louisiana and Connecticut.

Obama launches project for more broadband in public housing - Yahoo News

I'll add you to the list of idiots who think shit is free as if by magic.

I'll add you to the list of idiots who don't have a fucking clue how to do business. I know it's not free. I deal with these kinds of questions every single day. These companies providing low cost internet service are generating new profits that didn't previously exist. That is their payoff.

Not only am I a Republican, I am more Republican than you will ever be. Big government, statist kunts like you think that hating Obama makes you Republican. You sell your souls to hate Obama, and have long abandoned everything that conservatism and the Republican party truly stand for.
That's a lot of crazy in one post there, buddy.

I'll take that as a compliment coming from a deranged lunatic like you.

Wow free high speed internet and free "devices" I guess that means computers, tablets, and phones. How many will be pawned for drugs and alcohol? At $50 a month that's about $14 million a month this hand out will cost us.

In select markets, Sprint will offer free wireless broadband access to families with kids in public housing. In Seattle, CenturyLink Inc will provide broadband service for public housing residents for $9.95 a month for the first year.

Cox Communications Inc [COXC.UL] is offering home Internet for $9.95 a month to families with kids in school in four cities in Georgia, Louisiana and Connecticut.

I've already seen the forms for people who are eligible for other freebies. $10 internet, and either a free or drastically discounted computer to any household with a kid.
Why would you oppose that?

Hey dumb ass... the tax payers ARE THE PRIVATE SECTOR. These corporations are merely charging their existing customers through their government supplied monopolies to fun this supposedly free shit that is being paid for by the private sector. I pay my effing bills and a portion of my bill goes to fund these moochers. This is nothing more than a welfare tax.

I'll add you to the list of idiots who don't have a fucking clue how to do business. I know it's not free. I deal with these kinds of questions every single day. These companies providing low cost internet service are generating new profits that didn't previously exist. That is their payoff.

What kind of questions, you loon? How best to rip off the government, and therefore, the people?

Is it too much to ask to get through one day without having to argue with an ignorant uninformed liberal? This thing is tapping into millions in government grants, it took me about 2 minutes to find that out by reading about this program.

Ah the old liberal link deflection game. Here's how it works. Liberal trolls demand links. If we don't provide links they claim the earth is flat. If we do provide links they ignore them. This is why I don't play their stupid link game. Look it look me less than 5 minutes to find several underlying government grants propping up this government hand out, that you can't is you're problem.

Do you really believe they are just giving away 70 million?:lmao:
They'll either write it off as a charitable donation or jack up everyone else's costs to cover it.
Either way,we the tax payer or internet subscriber will be paying for it.
You fucken liberals are either extremely naive or think that we are.

If you don't like the way Sprint spends their own money, you're welcome to not buy anything from Sprint.

Oh I dont. Sprint sucks.

Then problem solved. Now shut the fuck up and stop being jealous that someone else has cheaper internet than you.

You obviously don't know jack shit about business, your post is proof.

Ah the old liberal link deflection game. Here's how it works. Liberal trolls demand links. If we don't provide links they claim the earth is flat. If we do provide links they ignore them. This is why I don't play their stupid link game. Look it look me less than 5 minutes to find several underlying government grants propping up this government hand out, that you can't is you're problem.
I'm pretty sure he's a volunteer tax preparer at an old folks' home, who thinks that makes him an authority on entitlement programs.

2 - Stop paying, by taking your business elsewhere. Nobody is forcing you to buy cable from anyone.

LOL..You think free shit is actually free.

LOL..You think free shit is actually free.
AND the reason he's a volunteer, instead of a paid bean counter at H&R block is because he doesn't have adequate job experience and education to get a job that pays. And/or he's a convicted felon.

How does anyone find out about jobs, make applications or receive information without Internet access today?

Seems conservatives would support it but they would rather rant...

Get a job freeloader, but don't expect me to provide the Internet to do it

Forum List

Back