Obama Extending Broadband Internet Access to Public Housing Residents

Fer fuck's sake, you people got nothing better to complain about? The private sector is going to contribute $70 million to this project. The US govt. is contributing a paltry $50k.

Who pays the monthly bills?
The tenants pay the monthly bills, just as they do for cable television service.

Did you miss the part where this whole program is littered with government grants? Do you think that money just fell off the government grant tree?
Grants to build and maintain the Wi-Fi infrastructure. But I saw nothing about subsidizing monthly payments..

(face palm) then keep reading.
I did! Still no reference to monthly bill subsidies. Why don't YOU read it?

it certainly isn't going to come from the US govt which doesn't seem interested in changing the fortunes of poorer people.
And rightfully so - that shouldn't be the job of the Federal Gov't.
It should be the job of the state and, ideally, local gov't.s, since they can tailor programs to actual need instead of a "one size fits all" type of plan.

Who pays the monthly bills?
The tenants pay the monthly bills, just as they do for cable television service.

Did you miss the part where this whole program is littered with government grants? Do you think that money just fell off the government grant tree?
Grants to build and maintain the Wi-Fi infrastructure. But I saw nothing about subsidizing monthly payments..

One of the government grants they are tapping into is $150 million. Also did you miss the part where HUD will require all new and substantial renovation to HUD properties to offer broad band, where do you think that money is coming from? Hey we are only $18 freaking trillion dollars in debt no biggie. /sarcasm

Your local cable company will provid
I don't why the rest of us bothers working and struggles to pay for our own shit. FIRST; OscamCare now Obamanet. he's just so generous. probably have a sign on it that's says: vote Democrat

SNIP:
By Susan Jones | July 15, 2015 | 11:50 AM EDT

(CNSNews.com) - The information superhighway is heading straight into taxpayer-subsidized housing.

The Department of Housing and Urban Development on Wednesday announced an initiative to extend affordable broadband access to families living in HUD-assisted housing.

The project, launching in 27 cities and one tribal nation, is called ConnectHome. (President Obama planned to discuss ConnectHome later Wednesday at the Choctaw Indian reservation in Oklahoma.)

Internet Service Providers, non-profits and the private sector will arrange broadband access as well as technical training, digital literacy programs, and devices for residents in public housing units.

ALL of it here:
Wow...!!! What else to I have to pay for these deadbeats?

You're not paying anything.

Who the hell do you think is going to be paying for it?
cancel your cable subscription

Are you capital and punctuation impaired?
Grammar nazis are lame

it certainly isn't going to come from the US govt which doesn't seem interested in changing the fortunes of poorer people.
It should be the job of the state and, ideally, local gov't.s, since they can tailor programs to actual need instead of a "one size fits all" type of plan.
States like Wisconsin and my own Ohio have done everything in their considerable power to eliminate any largess to the poor and middle class. Public sector unions are under attack (because those are the folks who have been keeping the business of those states humming along and should be, according to their governors, punished for that), minimum wage laws have been called "lame Liberal experiments" and are being phased out, subsidies for hungry children are being eroded, funding for schools has been reduced because, according to our governors in Ohio and Wisconsin, public schools have failed (in spite of their own public school educations) and now we hear from Wisconsin that workers do not deserve a weekend anymore (a Family Values position, no doubt)

Could anyone explain to me how such policies are supposed to ensure support for poor and working families?

Sounds like the rich really don't want the poor having any opportunities at all. The internet is a way of, you know, learning stuff, applying for jobs and all sorts of things. Now, if you don't want them to do these sorts of things, you should just say so.

There may be a few people who will use it to better themselves.

Maybe. The main point would be that it certainly isn't going to come from the US govt which doesn't seem interested in changing the fortunes of poorer people. Let them rot, then stand over them sneering about how they could make it if they worked hard, but without a decent education that's just a lie, unless they can play basketball.

The war on poverty has been a complete failure.
In order to win a war you must have willing fighters....

And everyone one who is a politician is being paid by big money to do nothing.

No doubt about that.
They need to start paying politicians min wage.

Seriously? That would just end up attracting minimum wage people to the job, that wouldn't improve anything, it's just mean less brains. Maybe less likely to be corrupted, but just as likely to do nothing.

Well the op article comes from CNS news so I knew I needed to google the topic and get more information and low and behold, I was right....

CNS conveniently only copied and pasted the first few paragraph's of HUD's announcement and didn't give the pertinent information on the subject.

1. the government is NOT paying for some poor customer's internet service...so get that PIECE OF CRAP LIE out of your pretty little heads.

Here's the rest of the story our lovely CNS piece of garbage, journalistic site (my ass) did not post... (You guys are to easily fooled by your right wing (supposed) media.... shakes head....)

and, I will say...it sounds like a good program, with tons and tons and tons and tons of private financial support as well.

-------------------------------
HUD, is collaborating with EveryoneOn and US Ignite who worked with private- and public-sector leaders to build local partnerships and gather commitments that will increase access to the Internet for low-income Americans. These partnerships will bring broadband, technical assistance, and digital literacy training to students living in public and assisted housing across America.

ConnectHome is informed by the great work of local communities across the country. The Housing Authority of the City of Austin (HACA) has created a transformational series of public-private-partnerships to narrow the digital divide in its communities and will serve as a mentor city for all 28 Connect Home communities.

Today’s announcement marks a major step in providing communities across the nation tools to improve digital opportunity for HUD-assisted housing residents. ConnectHome establishes a platform for collaboration between local governments, members of private industry, nonprofit organizations, and other interested entities to produce locally-tailored solutions for narrowing the digital divide.

Eight nationwide Internet Service Providers including; Google Fiber, Cherokee Communications, Pine Telephone, Suddenlink Communications, Vyve Broadband, CenturyLink, Cox Communications and Sprint have announced they are partnering with mayors, public housing authorities, non-profit groups, and for-profit entities to bridge the gap in digital access for students living in assisted housing units.

Skills training is essential to effectively taking advantage of all the Internet offers. HUD is collaborating with Best Buy, The James M. Cox Foundation, a Cox Communications-affiliated Foundation, GitHub, College Board, in partnership with Khan Academy, 80/20 Foundation, Age of Learning, Inc., The Public Broadcasting Service (PBS), The American Library Association, Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Southeastern Oklahoma State University and the Durant Independent School District to offer new technical training and digital literacy programs for residents in assisted housing units.

HUD is also taking major steps to provide communities across the nation tools to improve digital opportunity for its residents. Today, Secretary Castro announced that HUD will:

• Begin rulemaking that requires HUD-funded new residential construction and substantial rehabilitation projects to support broadband internet connectivity.
  • Provide communities with the flexibility to spend portions of their Choice Neighborhood Implementation Grants on local broadband initiatives and associated connectivity enhancements,including approximately $150 million dedicated to the current competition.
  • Begin rulemaking to include broadband planning as a component of the Consolidated Planning process, which serves as a framework for a community-wide dialogue to identify housing and municipal development priorities.
  • Supply guidance and share best practices with HUD-funded grantees on how to more effectively utilize HUD funding to support broadband connectivity.
  • Integrate digital literacy programmingand access to technology into related initiatives.
HUDNo 15-090

Wow free high speed internet and free "devices" I guess that means computers, tablets, and phones. How many will be pawned for drugs and alcohol? At $50 a month that's about $14 million a month this hand out will cost us.

:cuckoo:

In select markets, Sprint will offer free wireless broadband access to families with kids in public housing. In Seattle, CenturyLink Inc will provide broadband service for public housing residents for $9.95 a month for the first year.

Cox Communications Inc [COXC.UL] is offering home Internet for $9.95 a month to families with kids in school in four cities in Georgia, Louisiana and Connecticut.

Obama launches project for more broadband in public housing - Yahoo News
I've already seen the forms for people who are eligible for other freebies. $10 internet, and either a free or drastically discounted computer to any household with a kid.

Did you ad in the government grant money? Of course you didn't.

I have no idea what you're talking about, I'm not an entitlement freak.

Your local cable company will provid
Wow...!!! What else to I have to pay for these deadbeats?

You're not paying anything.

cancel your cable subscription

Are you capital and punctuation impaired?
Grammar nazis are lame

So are people who throw out ignorant comments such as...
"cancel your cable subscription"
Figured i'd return the favor.

Well the op article comes from CNS news so I knew I needed to google the topic and get more information and low and behold, I was right....

CNS conveniently only copied and pasted the first few paragraph's of HUD's announcement and didn't give the pertinent information on the subject.

1. the government is NOT paying for some poor customer's internet service...so get that PIECE OF CRAP LIE out of your pretty little heads.

Here's the rest of the story our lovely CNS piece of garbage, journalistic site (my ass) did not post... (You guys are to easily fooled by your right wing (supposed) media.... shakes head....

and, I will say...it sounds like a good program, with tons and tons and tons and tons of private financial support as well.

-------------------------------
HUD, is collaborating with EveryoneOn and US Ignite who worked with private- and public-sector leaders to build local partnerships and gather commitments that will increase access to the Internet for low-income Americans. These partnerships will bring broadband, technical assistance, and digital literacy training to students living in public and assisted housing across America.

ConnectHome is informed by the great work of local communities across the country. The Housing Authority of the City of Austin (HACA) has created a transformational series of public-private-partnerships to narrow the digital divide in its communities and will serve as a mentor city for all 28 Connect Home communities.

Today’s announcement marks a major step in providing communities across the nation tools to improve digital opportunity for HUD-assisted housing residents. ConnectHome establishes a platform for collaboration between local governments, members of private industry, nonprofit organizations, and other interested entities to produce locally-tailored solutions for narrowing the digital divide.

Eight nationwide Internet Service Providers including; Google Fiber, Cherokee Communications, Pine Telephone, Suddenlink Communications, Vyve Broadband, CenturyLink, Cox Communications and Sprint have announced they are partnering with mayors, public housing authorities, non-profit groups, and for-profit entities to bridge the gap in digital access for students living in assisted housing units.

Skills training is essential to effectively taking advantage of all the Internet offers. HUD is collaborating with Best Buy, The James M. Cox Foundation, a Cox Communications-affiliated Foundation, GitHub, College Board, in partnership with Khan Academy, 80/20 Foundation, Age of Learning, Inc., The Public Broadcasting Service (PBS), The American Library Association, Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Southeastern Oklahoma State University and the Durant Independent School District to offer new technical training and digital literacy programs for residents in assisted housing units.

HUD is also taking major steps to provide communities across the nation tools to improve digital opportunity for its residents. Today, Secretary Castro announced that HUD will:

• Begin rulemaking that requires HUD-funded new residential construction and substantial rehabilitation projects to support broadband internet connectivity.
  • Provide communities with the flexibility to spend portions of their Choice Neighborhood Implementation Grants on local broadband initiatives and associated connectivity enhancements,including approximately $150 million dedicated to the current competition.
  • Begin rulemaking to include broadband planning as a component of the Consolidated Planning process, which serves as a framework for a community-wide dialogue to identify housing and municipal development priorities.
  • Supply guidance and share best practices with HUD-funded grantees on how to more effectively utilize HUD funding to support broadband connectivity.
  • Integrate digital literacy programmingand access to technology into related initiatives.
HUDNo 15-090

Ugh.

Fer fuck's sake, you people got nothing better to complain about? The private sector is going to contribute $70 million to this project. The US govt. is contributing a paltry $50k.

And where does the private sector get their money?
Can you show where your monthly bill is being increased because of this?
The companies aren't going to be careless enough to claim that the increase is a result of this. It's going to be hidden in one of their regular rate hikes. If you had unlimited access to their financials and an army of accountants, you might be able to single out something. Emphasis on might.

Potentially. That's a side issue. The issue is no one seems to be doing much at ANY level. The attitude you see on here is the same all over, that poor people somehow deserve to be where they are.

Hey boy, we gave you a shoddy education now go compete against my son who got a fantastic education, EVERYONE can make it in the US, but you won't beat my son.

One of the government grants they are tapping into is $150 million. Also did you miss the part where HUD will require all new and substantial renovation to HUD properties to offer broad band, where do you think that money is coming from? Hey we are only $18 freaking trillion dollars in debt no biggie. /sarcasm
The grants are, yet again, to build and maintain the Wi-Fi infrastructure. And, yet again, I saw, and neither did you see, ANYTHING about subsidizing monthly internet access charges.

Now, take your little face palm and do some real thinking for a change!

That was asked and answered already. Pay attention.

They are not giving away 70 million.
The costs will be covered by either the tax payer as a charitable donation or through higher costs to other subscribers.
Someone has to pay for it.
How does it result in a higher cost to subscribers?

Mark up on Internet service is off the charts. If cable companies offer service "at cost" you will see no impact on your subscription

At worst, they will compete with you for available bandwidth

The grants are, yet again, to build and maintain the Wi-Fi infrastructure. And, yet again, I saw, and neither did you see, ANYTHING about subsidizing monthly internet access charges.

Now, take your little face palm and do some real thinking for a change!

Well there's no fixing stupid in your case. Believe what you want live in you're liberal bubble world I certainly don't care one iota.

I have to chuckle over some of these comments. 100Mbps service both up and down and with telephone and television runs about $60 a month in the UK. Those speeds will make the fastest DSL look like dial up. I have a friend in Sweden who pays 58 Krona for 100 M which runs about $7.00 U.S.

Full access to the internet helps lower costs to the public at large by allowing low income individuals find jobs, look for opportunity, consult medical advice sites, allowing access to virtual libraries, access to high school courses and college courses. For my money this is a net gain for everyone.

Where do you think these "private entities" get the money to pay for this free shit? They pass the cost on to their paying customers.

I don't think you understand the business side of this. This is not a case of businesses shelling out money just to take a loss. These companies are investing money, to open up access to a new market. The reality is that the services these companies provide you and me, which we pay through the nose to receive, have a remarkably low overhead cost. You might pay $100 a month for your cable and internet, but the overhead cost is only about $5 for you to receive the service. You pay it because you agree to do so, and you have the money such as to be able to afford it.

However, there are people, such as those living in public housing, who are much less likely to buy, because their ability to afford the price is diminished by comparison. They constitute a low priority for expansion for the company. But, if the ability to deliver services can be achieved, they still constitute a potential client base for profitable expansion. The price at which they are willing to buy may be lower, but if you can target, and successfully woe, that audience with service offers at pretty much any price above the [very low] overhead, then the ultimate result is more profit.

We juggle pretty much the same thing in the hotel industry. Imagine a hotel with 300 rooms, and tonight the rate is $189. The direct overhead (labor to clean room, materials used, cost of water and electric consumed by guest) for a one night stay is only about $10-$15, and even after you factor in the indirect overhead (operational costs, such as groundskeeping and maint., real estate costs, etc.) the total overhead is only about $25. But we charge what people are willing to pay. Now, let's say that tonight I am running at 50% occupancy. We want to sell as many additional rooms as possible, at as high of a rate as possible. But at the end of the day, as long as I sell at more than $25, I am still generating profit. So, if a bus pulls up to the front door and a social worker steps off and asks me if I would be willing to consider selling 20 rooms tonight at $50 each for displaced orphans on an educational road trip, why the hell not? I'm generating increased profits while also performing a generous deed, all at the same time. There's no costs to pass on to other clients. I'm not taking a loss, I'm generating more profits by expanding my client base.

It's exactly the kind solution that we Republicans should laud. Everybody wins. I make more money, I get to chose how and when I will exercise my generosity, and someone in need receives the kind helping hand of a willing provider.

Forum List

Back