Obama proposes $1B for science, math teachers

That program won't get off the ground, not in any effective form, and it won't be Republicans fault.

It will be diluted to meaninglessness as it is realized that the people who qualify as "high-performing teachers" don't have an approved demographic distribution.

idiot.

A vaccine or whatever is not "science".
OK. So what? I never said a vaccine was science.

A vaccine is a scientific discovery is it not? You just said a vaccine is not science therefore science and scientific discoveries are not the same.

Clarity in one's language is a reflection of one's clarity of thought.

Words have definitions and until you learn them you will never be able to cogently express your thoughts.

Perhaps we can blame our education system for your failings.

Biology. Or the spin off field of Virology...Yep, it's a science that is very important if we to cure diseases.

OK. So what? I never said a vaccine was science.

A vaccine is a scientific discovery is it not? You just said a vaccine is not science therefore science and scientific discoveries are not the same.

Clarity in one's language is a reflection of one's clarity of thought.

Words have definitions and until you learn them you will never be able to cogently express your thoughts.

Perhaps we can blame our education system for your failings.

Biology. Or the spin off field of Virology...Yep, it's a science that is very important if we to cure diseases.

And can one "own" biology?

The point is that one cannot "own" science.

One can however own a scientific discovery.

The two are not the same.

AGAIN, no. That is not what's happening. How can you have been discussing this topic this long and not know that??

This about rewarding exceptional teachers. Ones who go above and beyond and get great success. Why do you NOT want to reward them?

stop changing the topic of our discussion they dont need to be rewarded. u can reward some but if taxpayers are involved thats yet another discussion.

And here we are again and I will ask AGAIN. Why? Explain your position. Why, simply because it involves the tax payer, should we NOT reward exceptional teachers? You are so quick to fire bad ones, but loathe the idea of rewarding good ones. Why?

u dont have to reward everyone for doing an exceptional job, thats it, why do u want to reward someone for doing their job? do u feel they need to feel special for doing their job well?

stop changing the topic of our discussion they dont need to be rewarded. u can reward some but if taxpayers are involved thats yet another discussion.

And here we are again and I will ask AGAIN. Why? Explain your position. Why, simply because it involves the tax payer, should we NOT reward exceptional teachers? You are so quick to fire bad ones, but loathe the idea of rewarding good ones. Why?

u dont have to reward everyone for doing an exceptional job, thats it, why do u want to reward someone for doing their job? do u feel they need to feel special for doing their job well?

We reward our business ceo's for making a profit. Why not? It works in the same way and I believe that a teacher that fails to produce at certain level should be fired. :eusa_shifty:

Our educational system will continue to perform at a sub-standard as long as our teachers aren't held accountable. Their students should also be held to a higher standard as it should be illegal to pass anyone to the next grade without meeting the standard.

We reward our business ceo's for making a profit. Why not? It works in the same way and I believe that a teacher that fails to produce at certain level should be fired. :eusa_shifty:

Our educational system will continue to perform at a sub-standard as long as our teachers aren't held accountable. Their students should also be held to a higher standard as it should be illegal to pass anyone to the next grade without meeting the standard.

yes i agree but do we need to give them rewards? If a company gives someone a piece of the money he or she earned for them okay thats thier choice, if a small business cant do it should a worker walk knowing what they got into? and rewards dont always have to be monetary but yet thats how some of the liberal people feel it should be.

I hate to break the news to u people but teachers get benefited real well in their benefits, if u actually look at them as i have in NJ, they are doing okay for themselves.

I really do hte it that its always the teachers that are brought up for this stuff. A lot of occupations do this and dont get rewarded, who made it that teachers are special?

The money won't help, mainly because teachers aren't the problem. The problem is parents. Those other countries that are smoking us in academics, the parents of those kids treat education as though it's the most important thing they could ever do for their children, and they will go to extraordinary lengths to make sure their kids get a good education. Parents in america treat it like free daycare, and as soon as their kids are old enough to take care of themselves then their kids can drop out for all they care.

yes i agree but do we need to give them rewards? If a company gives someone a piece of the money he or she earned for them okay thats thier choice, if a small business cant do it should a worker walk knowing what they got into? and rewards dont always have to be monetary but yet thats how some of the liberal people feel it should be.

I hate to break the news to u people but teachers get benefited real well in their benefits, if u actually look at them as i have in NJ, they are doing okay for themselves.

I really do hte it that its always the teachers that are brought up for this stuff. A lot of occupations do this and dont get rewarded, who made it that teachers are special?

Take away the benefits and fire them if they don't earn it. They're special as they're the ones that educate our children to hopefully become successful. :eusa_shhh:

If a teacher doesn't bring 50 percent of his/her class up to the standard they should be fired or benefits removed. It's unacceptable as if we don't have a standard we won't be a super power for very long.

Take away the benefits and fire them if they don't earn it. They're special as they're the ones that educate our children to hopefully become successful. :eusa_shhh:

If a teacher doesn't bring 50 percent of his/her class up to the standard they should be fired or benefits removed. It's unacceptable as if we don't have a standard we won't be a super power for very long.

same with doctors and their patients?

NOW THIS IS A GOOD IDEA. Getting our science and math standards up to the rest of the first world is a very good idea. This is one thing I can strongly agree with Obama on.:eusa_angel:

Teachers are not the problem.. We have capable math, science teachers. What we DON'T HAVE is MENTORS that will get these kids into professions using these skills..

We ought to be teaching APPLIED science and math.. Actually let them sample some advanced topics. Kids WOULD work thru curriculum to get to real courses on Aviation, Meteorology, Electronics, Vet Med, Software Programming, etc.. It would give them something to be proud of and motivate their learning..

NOW THIS IS A GOOD IDEA. Getting our science and math standards up to the rest of the first world is a very good idea. This is one thing I can strongly agree with Obama on.:eusa_angel:

Teachers are not the problem.. We have capable math, science teachers. What we DON'T HAVE is MENTORS that will get these kids into professions using these skills..

We ought to be teaching APPLIED science and math.. Actually let them sample some advanced topics. Kids WOULD work thru curriculum to get to real courses on Aviation, Meteorology, Electronics, Vet Med, Software Programming, etc.. It would give them something to be proud of and motivate their learning..

that would be nice in a perfect world but ur in the tv generation and media frenzy where kids can see other young adults make money just for being on tv and not doing anything, or dancing with big stars who make money for blabbing, A lot of them see these lifestyles and already determine thats for them.

All we have been doing is throwing money at education and yet we fall further and further behind other countries.

Seems to me it's about time we stop throwing good money after bad at teachers etc and try something new.

My home state of Utah used to have great schools. That was before the politicians here decided to see just how Red and 'fiscally responsible" they could be. Now with our demographic of huge families and lots of LDS church tax exemptions, there are 35 to 40 kids per class. It pisses me off to pay quite a bit and still end up spending an hour or two per night helping my kids with homework.

Utah legislators: Put some fucking money into our schools!

All we have been doing is throwing money at education and yet we fall further and further behind other countries.

Seems to me it's about time we stop throwing good money after bad at teachers etc and try something new.

My home state of Utah used to have great schools. That was before the politicians here decided to see just how Red and 'fiscally responsible" they could be. Now with our demographic of huge families and lots of LDS church tax exemptions, there are 35 to 40 kids per class. It pisses me off to pay quite a bit and still end up spending an hour or two per night helping my kids with homework.

can u guarantee that the unions wont spend it improperly?

The money won't help, mainly because teachers aren't the problem. The problem is parents. Those other countries that are smoking us in academics, the parents of those kids treat education as though it's the most important thing they could ever do for their children, and they will go to extraordinary lengths to make sure their kids get a good education. Parents in america treat it like free daycare, and as soon as their kids are old enough to take care of themselves then their kids can drop out for all they care.

Only one public school I have known has had any mechanism for parent envolvement. I have found the schools quitely discourage parent involvement. I am sure it is part legal liability and the extra effort it would take to have a parent in the school building.

Last edited:
One way or another we need to figure out what works and put it into place. This has to be soon or our nation will be surpassed by the entire world.

it mght have to go private for a while to boost good education and get good teachers teaching and bad teachers someplace else. MOney, politics, parents, tax payers both with children and without and many other factors all play a role. Go private or charter or homeschool and see what turns out.

Only one public school I have known has had any mechanism for parent envolvement. I have found the schools quitely discourage parent involvement. I am sure it is part legal liability and the extra effort it would take to have a parent in the school building.

Parents SHOULDN'T be hanging around the classrooms. My Uncle was a NYC H.S. principal at the worst schools in town.. He couldn't get REPORT CARDS SIGNED!!! The return rate was less than 25%.

Wanna HELP???

Tie Public BENEFITS TO having your kids graduate High School.

Make signing Report Cards and attending annual teacher/parent meetings a REQUIREMENT for public school enrollment.

Like rewarding teachers for producing results. :eusa_whistle: No student should be allowed to pass a single grade without meeting the standards.

He didn't read that part of it, that its about rewarding teacher who produce......
do you think the teachers Union might have something to say about that?......after all.....the "sub-par" Teachers may be trying to teach as best they can......and remember...."bad teachers" are people too and should not be singled out......hey Union rules.....

Parents SHOULDN'T be hanging around the classrooms. My Uncle was a NYC H.S. principal at the worst schools in town.. He couldn't get REPORT CARDS SIGNED!!! The return rate was less than 25%.

Wanna HELP???

Tie Public BENEFITS TO having your kids graduate High School.

Make signing Report Cards and attending annual teacher/parent meetings a REQUIREMENT for public school enrollment.

How about
1# A reward system for producing a high rate of success
2# End all free passes for students that don't meet requirements. You pass this ground or we're holding you back.
3# Fire teachers that have a poor record of success.
4# Link benefits or increase them for parents that take part in their children's life. These people have to give something back for the benefits.
5# Give more choices within education; give the student the choice to go to public or private schools on public funds.

Last edited:

can u guarantee that the unions wont spend it improperly?

I can't guarantee anything about anyone but myself but I have a great deal of respect for the teachers I've known. Utah legislators, not so much.

Forum List

Back