Obama proposes $1B for science, math teachers

I'm amazed that Im saying this, but Kudos Flaylo for being reasonable in this discussion. I don't know why this is different, but you aren't usually this civil in threads. I just wanted to say I appreciate it.

Yep, we need lots more of this. :eusa_angel:

I agree. I wish more people would realize we aren't enemies but fellow citizens with different ideas of what we should be focusing on as a society.

No, my position is that lower class sizes and improvement in school security makes a difference, we had some useless mangy fucks who went to Catholic school with me and they got booted out.
and were sent over to the Public School....right?.....where they did their shit over there and were considered big bad tough guys who get kicked out of schools.....

No, got sent to Sleighton farm and Glen Mills, reform schools.

you get sent to reform schools for committing crimes......so where these guys just disruptive students or did they get the boot because they broke the law?......i mean Flaylo i knew guys that got expelled from school....but they did not go to reform school.....usually they went to continuation school,where all the dumbasses and disruptive kids went.....at least the two places i went to HS that's what happened...

Come on Harry, why are you of all people bitching about unions? For as many times as people say unions stand in the way I can personally state the number of times that employers have tried to fuck over employees, people treat these employers as being completely unbiased people who all look out for the interests of the employee all the time, you and I both know thats a crock of shit. Not every union member should be looked at as a douchebag although there are people who abuse the system.

am i bitching about Unions?.....or am i saying WHO is to say that the teacher in question is not doing the best they can do?......the Union will side with the teacher....who do you think the people doing the removing will side with?....should the teachers in that public school you talked about with the drugs and gang bangers be responsible if those kids learn absolutely nothing?....some people would consider them shitty teachers.....and want them fired....

What would you suggest us to do to turn things around?

i dont know.....i know when i went to school there were many different types of classes to take....and we all took shop classes,4 different ones,a semester apiece...25 years later in the same HS my son had shit to choose from.....no shop classes no Driver ed .....very limited.....so i dont know what to say....but here in California i think they have proven throwing money at it....does not do the trick....

Cut the fucking bullshit about unions, its getting old looking for strawmen arguments to say no to investing 1 billion dollars in our children who are getting fucking dumber. Again, this is too REWARD TEACHERS BASED ON PERFORMANCE, if you do NOT PERFORM well YOU DON'T a FUCKING BONUS. Now stop boring me with all this hypothetical bullshit about unions since you are anti ALL UNIONS, good ones and bad ones to the core which makes you dishonest to the point of absurdity.

There is no such thing as a good union.

And we all know that teachers don't get paid for performance because union contracts don't allow it.

So all of a sudden you're for undermining union contracts with merit pay?

And again we don't need more money we already spend more money per pupil than countries that are kicking our ass academically and it ain't working.

Ok, all unions are bad to you, get the fuck out of here, this is the retarded ass one sided type of thinking that stinking up the whole country. If it wasn't for unions or union type activity you wouldn't have the labor laws you have now and employers would be able to run all the fuck over employees, saying that no unions are good is implying that all union members are fucktards and bad.

Money per pupil varies by STATE since the STATE and LOCAL governments mainly fund schools and don't give that private charter company bullshit because they tried that in Philly and it failed.

And some states that spend less per student do better than states who spend significantly more.

So money is not the issue.

When schools start outlawing phones and iPods the kids can concentrate more, at any rate our kids are getting dumb and dumber and that blame the right and blame the left political bullshit don't fly, the kids of politicians aren't failing but they're telling us money invested in our kids is shit? Fuck outta here.

sure...and as soon as mommy and daddy complain about little Johnny not having his "Lifeline" Phone with him.....we will see who the fuck is outta here.....

Schools are for learning, if the parents really cared they'd shut the fuck up and let these kids do schoolwork, if they think they can do a better job than teachers perhaps they should stay their ass at home and homeschool.

Kids who are home schooled do better than kids in public schools. So much for professional "educators".

If I were to have kids I would most definitely home school them.

They ought to put billions into history and economics education.

Except they don't really want average people thinking about those subjects.

Scientists make excellent tools... historians and economists not so much.

sure...and as soon as mommy and daddy complain about little Johnny not having his "Lifeline" Phone with him.....we will see who the fuck is outta here.....

Schools are for learning, if the parents really cared they'd shut the fuck up and let these kids do schoolwork, if they think they can do a better job than teachers perhaps they should stay their ass at home and homeschool.

Kids who are home schooled do better than kids in public schools. So much for professional "educators".

Stats, Mr Union and Teacher hater?

We don't need to invest in Math and Science teachers. We can just import our engineers, scientists and doctors from India and China

Anyone notice everything Obama "proposes" cost us taxpayers BILLIONS of dollars?

give out rewards while we have 8.2% unemployment...isn't that Obama special

Pay particular attention to the piece of the graphic that shows the national average percentile scores. And before you whine about the source of the graphic, you'll notice the last block has a list of all the sources used in gathering the stats.

homeschool-domination.jpg

Last edited:

Pay particular attention to the piece of the graphic that shows the national average percentile scores. And before you whine about the source of the graphic, you'll notice the last block has a list of all the sources used in gathering the stats.

Are you suggesting that the answer to our failing science and mathematics standing can be solved by nationwide homeschooling?

Are you suggesting that the answer to our failing science and mathematics standing can be solved by nationwide homeschooling?

so you admit the DOE is FAILING the students even with the billions of dollars ALREADY spent on schools.?
So what does Obama suggest, throwing more money at it...cause he has money to BURN

I definitely think there should be more parental connection into the school system. I have greater control who fixes my car than who teachs my child.

so you admit the DOE is FAILING the students even with the billions of dollars ALREADY spent on schools.?
So what does Obama suggest, throwing more money at it...cause he has money to BURN

I don't think the DOE is failing because they have not been given the task of educating our students. Around 10% of school funding comes from the federal government. America has historically insisted that Schools be run at the local level. Funding is local, school boards are local, teacher hiring is local
Globally, US students are falling behind foreign students. One thing those foreign schools have in common is that they have more federal involvement in the school system not less

What would you suggest us to do to turn things around?

Workers everywhere need to be paid more.

In the 60s you could have a single income family and not have that income come from a CEO. Wages for workers has been basically flat for decades and now parents have to both work and maybe even work multiple jobs. They simply have no time to spend with their kids, which is what needs to happen for kids to excel.

Wages need to go up.

Teachers need to be rewarded.

Problem solved.

Government regulations in pursuit of a more perfect world have increased the cost of everything. If a small business is paying more taxes including SS, medicare, unemployment tax, worker's compensation insurance, general liability insurance, permit fees, rent, etc...............they have two choices, continue to raise the cost of goods that can result in lower wages for employees or shut down because they can't compete in an environment where the cost of goods out weighs profits.

Nationwide, States provide 47% of school funding while local governments provide 44% and the federal government provides 10%

Background & Analysis

When it comes time to place the blame for failing schools Conservatives always jump on that 10%

Forum List

Back