Obama Rally Draws 100,000 in Missouri

Ok, you know more about one thing than I do. You had gay parents.
And you've gone to college. I've done that too.

Have you:
Raised children of your own.
Buried a parent.
Buried a child.
Served in the Army.
Jump out of a perfectly good airplane.
Traveled to 10 in uniform serving your country.
Worked your way up from the bottom.-yes.
Had to decide between food and electricity.
Owned your own business.-in a manner of speaking, yes.
Hire an employee.-yes.
Had to fire an employee.
Wrote a check to the IRS for $40,000.
Paid a mortgage.
Paid off a mortgage.
Saved for a childs college education.
Sat in the waiting room while your wife had life threatening surgury.

Life experience, it comes with age.

Have you:

Worked for a NGO in a foreign country.
Experienced racism.
Traveled around the United States.
Attended a Law School.
Had a parent live through a terminal illness.
Met prominent members of DOJ.
Embarked on a career path making 1/4 of what you could make otherwise, because you wanted to serve the public good.

*shrug* I could go on, but I don't like talking about my life that much. My point is that my age doesn't preclude me from having life experiences as well. So, when it comes to any one topic, don't assume on the SOLE basis of age that you know more than me, or Robert.

the top one
but they are both asinine photos and it figures you would like them

They are not "asinine" they are great.

Obama can turn water into beer, who wouldn't want that in a president? :badgrin:

By the way DiveCon, great news!

People are donating huge amounts of money for you to get anger management! You'll be able to start tomorrow if you want! :D

Have you:

Experienced racism.
Attended a Law School.
Embarked on a career path making 1/4 of what you could make otherwise, because you wanted to serve the public good.

*shrug* I could go on, but I don't like talking about my life that much. My point is that my age doesn't preclude me from having life experiences as well. So, when it comes to any one topic, don't assume on the SOLE basis of age that you know more than me, or Robert.

I'm not being a smartass here, what do you mean by 'had a parent live through a terminal illness?'

Ok, you know more about one thing than I do. You had gay parents.
And you've gone to college. I've done that too.

Have you:
Raised children of your own.
Buried a parent.
Buried a child.
Served in the Army.
Jump out of a perfectly good airplane.
Traveled to 10 foriegn nations in uniform serving your country.
Worked your way up from the bottom.
Had to decide between food and electricity.
Owned your own business.
Hire an employee.
Had to fire an employee.
Wrote a check to the IRS for $40,000.
Paid a mortgage.
Paid off a mortgage.
Saved for a childs college education.
Sat in the waiting room while your wife had life threatening surgury.
Afterward wondering if you could afford it.

Life experience, it comes with age.

No one doubts this but you.

Although heres some things that my friends, mid-twenties folks have done:

Started an NGO in Sri Lanka.
Worked for the UN.
Worked for Senators.
Worked for House reps.
Worked for State reps.
Worked in the Peace Corps.
Up and moved to a new country, where they knew nobody at all, went to one of the hardest places in that country to make it, and became successful.
Fought for equal rights for themselves.
Created a software company, made millions, then sold it.
DJ'ed in Korea for 3 years.
Sued NYC.

*shrug* those are just some of the random things I can think of.

I'm not being a smartass here, what do you mean by 'had a parent live through a terminal illness?'

When I was 14 my mom got a "terminal" form of a very rare type of cancer. Doctors tried chemo, it didn't work. They then basically said she was going to die. She searched and researched the disease for months, found a doctor in Boston who said he could try and operate. Operation was successful...shes been in remission for 10 years now.

Location, where you've been, what you've experienced. As I said before, you may be much older than me, but I have significantly more experience about what its like to grow up with gay parents. No matter how old you get, or currently are, you don't have more experience than me at that.

we'll concede your expertise in having gay parents. perhaps you've noticed that "experience" encompasses more than being an expert on having gay parents.
even the OED agrees.

Have you:

Experienced racism.
Attended a Law School.

no one lives through a TERMINAL illness. at least, that's been my experience.

Although heres some things that my friends, mid-twenties folks have done:

Started an NGO in Sri Lanka.
Worked for the UN.
Worked for Senators.
Worked for House reps.
Worked for State reps.
Worked in the Peace Corps.
Up and moved to a new country, where they knew nobody at all, went to one of the hardest places in that country to make it, and became successful.
Fought for equal rights for themselves.
Created a software company, made millions, then sold it.
DJ'ed in Korea for 3 years.
Sued NYC.

*shrug* those are just some of the random things I can think of.

hey, if they were all the same person, they'd have a ton of experience.
:cuckoo:

When I was 14 my mom got a "terminal" form of a very rare type of cancer. Doctors tried chemo, it didn't work. They then basically said she was going to die. She searched and researched the disease for months, found a doctor in Boston who said he could try and operate. Operation was successful...shes been in remission for 10 years now.

I'm happy for you and her. Life threatening would have been a better descriptor, since thank God she lived.

i'm glad she's okay. my mom died of cancer-it sucked.

we'll concede your expertise in having gay parents. perhaps you've noticed that "experience" encompasses more than being an expert on having gay parents.
even the OED agrees.

Experience is a vague term which, by itself, doesn't have any real application. The only use of the word is experience in something particular. Saying "I have experience" is meaningless.

no one lives through a TERMINAL illness. at least, that's been my experience.

When doctors at a well known, reputable hospital tell you "there is no hope for you, your going to die", do tell what kind of illness you would classify that as?

Have you:

Worked for a NGO in a foreign country. I think the Army covers this. Yes it's a GO but all the same.
Experienced racism. Yes, while serving overseas.
Traveled around the United States. I own a trucking company, "I've been everywhere, man"
Attended a Law School. No
Had a parent live through a terminal illness. I think I covered this one too
Met prominent members of DOJ. No, but I have met prominent members of the DOD.
Embarked on a career path making 1/4 of what you could make otherwise, because you wanted to serve the public good. No, and good for you, sincerely. I'm one of those greedy capitalist.

With age comes experience. Generally. Can you live with that?

Last edited:
conservatives define abortion as "none of my business".

Well, that's debatable. I would say that libertarians define abortion as that, but then they are also split on that issue. When you deal with something as precious as human life, you get a lot of opinions.

I'm happy for you and her. Life threatening would have been a better descriptor, since thank God she lived.

At the time, it was terminal. Thats what you call a disease which doctors say will kill you, and you have no hope of living.

With age come experience.

Congrats, you might have experience in a ton of useless shit thats not relevant to whats being discussed. Hence why its bad to avoid such stereotypes.

And the Army is not a NGO. NGO=Non-governmental organization.

They are not "asinine" they are great.

Obama can turn water into beer, who wouldn't want that in a president? :badgrin:

By the way DiveCon, great news!

People are donating huge amounts of money for you to get anger management! You'll be able to start tomorrow if you want! :D
more proof what a punk asshole and liar you are

Experience is a vague term which, by itself, doesn't have any real application. The only use of the word is experience in something particular. Saying "I have experience" is meaningless.

When doctors at a well known, reputable hospital tell you "there is no hope for you, your going to die", do tell what kind of illness you would classify that as?

no it isn't. all your experience informs every single thing you do in life- if you had more experience you'd know that.

i apologize for cavilling about your mom's illness; it was shameful of me.
as i said in an earlier post, i'm glad she recovered.

With age comes experience. Generally. Can you live with that?

Sure. My problem isn't with that statement, my problem is when people look at someones age and say "I know more than you about topic x, because of my age", or "you should listen to me, because I'm older".

At the time, it was terminal. Thats what you call a disease which doctors say will kill you, and you have no hope of living.

Initially. Luckily with this case and many others, the first doctor is often wrong. All the more reason to be able to move on when you think it necessary. I'm glad she's doing well.

Forum List

Back