Obama wants to raise tobacco taxes - again...

Of course they will raise the cigarette taxes. If everyone quitts smoking they will have to raise the taxes somewhere else to get the money.

As for education?? We dump billions into that bottomless pit every year and the education in this country still stinks.

who says they quitts

many simply go black market

You're right there. I get mine at a little place down the road. $27 for a carton of any kind you might need.

If your a smoker. Shop around. Look for smokers clubs. You belong to the club for five or ten bucks a year and get the cigs for a whole lot less.

I hear more and more people are growing their own tobacco. I hear it's cheaper, higher quality, and safer.

Of course they will raise the cigarette taxes. If everyone quitts smoking they will have to raise the taxes somewhere else to get the money.

As for education?? We dump billions into that bottomless pit every year and the education in this country still stinks.

who says they quitts

many simply go black market

You're right there. I get mine at a little place down the road. $27 for a carton of any kind you might need.

If your a smoker. Shop around. Look for smokers clubs. You belong to the club for five or ten bucks a year and get the cigs for a whole lot less.

out here in South Dakota

you can have up to 50 cartons of wrong tax stamped (from another state or reservation )

without it being a state tax crime

I hear more and more people are growing their own tobacco. I hear it's cheaper, higher quality, and safer.

i am not sure how much you can grow legally

however home grown would certainly have less chemicals

added to it

This highly pisses me off - again. Not one penny of tobacco taxes goes toward smokers' healthcare - so why in the hell should smokers (tobacco users) be taxed to pay for children's healthcare and schooling?

On this - I say fuck you, Obama!

This is quite funny Lahota, I'll gladly pay an extra dollar tax on every cigar I smoke if it means it will finally get the message across to the fools that entrusted our great country to that lousy piece of shit fraud........osama.

It is ALREADY now much cheaper for me to smoke POT than it is ciggies.

Of course I don't smoke nearly as much pot but this shift in costs is still pretty amazing.

Consider this:

Pot has gone up in price about 1000% since I started smoking it back in 65

After the FED and State tax increases Tobacco will have gone up 3,100% since I started smoking tobacco back in 65

Of course I don't smoke nearly as much pot but this shift in costs is still pretty amazing.

Consider this:

After the FED and State tax increases Tobacco will have gone up 3,100% since I started smoking tobacco back in 65

1965! I started in 1972, I thought that 35 years was a long time......... I had to quit 6 years ago to get my job. Don't really like alcohol, not interested in any other drugs except a 714 would be nice if it was even possible to find one...... a Black Molly too, the best speed ever.
Pot was my favorite......easy to control the dosage and now I hear you don't even need to smoke it.

The people got what they voted for.

Everyone knew he wouldn't stop taxes.

It isn't that simple. He's taxing the wrong fucking people - again.

Well, path of least resistance. Non-smokers won't stand up for smokers, and smokers themselves really detest their habit.

Personally, I think tobacco taxes are well intentioned (they are meant to encourage smokers to quit), but regressive. Working folks bear the brunt of them.

A fairer system would be no taxes on tobacco, but regulate it like a drug. You can only buy them with a doctor's note, with the understanding he's helping you try to quit, and he cuts you off if you get lung cancer or some such.

Consider this:

have not smoked weed since the mid 70s

then it was like 15 an ounce 20 for the good stuff

Next Obama will tax beer to pay for free houses for illegals . Obama is on a rampage now.

$4a02fd195374f2a9a12620b79976c2d4.jpg

The states are use the tobacco tax to pay for their share of medicaid. Its not going to children's education.

Consider this:

The weed you and I smoked back then was about the same as the merch that's sold today.

But the medical hemp is pretty amazing, now.

So many different strains, many of them offering very unique benefits.

If you remember skateboards back in the 70s? They were primitive compared to the boards today, right?

Well pot has undergone the same degree of change that skate boards have.

Its astounding.

Consider this:

The weed you and I smoked back then was about the same as the merch that's sold today.

But the medical hemp is pretty amazing, now.

So many different strains, many of them offering very unique benefits.

If you remember skateboards back in the 70s? They were primitive compared to the boards today, right?

Well pot has undergone the same degree of change that skate boards have.

Its astounding.

thanks

i dont care

i feel that if one wants to smoke weed

they should be able to

as long as they are an adult

and stay in the slow lane

--LOL

That's the way it worked in Canada.

To be sure, high excise taxes have failed to reduce smoking. According to Hudgins, when Canada introduced a large increase in tobacco taxation in 1991, the estimated profits that stood to be made by smugglers were at $1 billion (not adjusted for inflation) (Hudgins 4). As a result, while previously only 0.02% of all purchased cigarettes were estimated to be bought illegally, after the introduction of the new tax the percentage of illegal cigarettes sold rose to an estimated 25 (Hudgins 3). According to Lee “t was widely reported that smuggled cigarettes made up 30-50% of the Canadian market. Taxable cigarette sales nose-dived as taxes rose during the mid- 1980s and early 1990s” (Lee 2). Similarly, immediately after the introduction of city and state taxes on cigarettes in New York, “local newspapers reported a ‘flood’ of cigarette smuggling into NYC and a rise in illegal street sales of untaxed cigarettes, particularly in low-income neighborhoods. Popular brands, it was reported, could be bought on the streets from bootleggers for as little as $5.00 per pack” at a time when legal retail prices of cigarettes averaged $7.50-$8.00 per pack (Shelley, Cantrell et al. 1). The unwanted effects of smuggling are compounded since people are able to purchase cigarettes at lower prices than the authorities would like them to pay; tax revenues are lost to smuggled products, while more law enforcement personnel is retained in order to combat smuggling; and honest businesses are faced with unfair competition in the shape of those who choose to circumnavigate the law.

An Analysis Of The Effects Of Prohibition Of Tobacco By Excessive Taxation

Forum List

Back