Obama wants to raise tobacco taxes - again...

This highly pisses me off - again. Not one penny of tobacco taxes goes toward smokers' healthcare - so why in the hell should smokers (tobacco users) be taxed to pay for children's healthcare and schooling?

On this - I say fuck you, Obama!

As an ex-smoker, I think we should tax the shit out of cigarettes, and I will tell you why. While it is unfair to those who are already addicted, the key to reducing smoking is to keep young people from starting. The more cigarettes cost, the more difficult it is for young teenagers and young adults to afford in the first place. That means a lot less young people start smoking and a lot less people become lifelong smokers.

The excuse that "it is my right to smoke" is all horseshit. Smokers who say that are just too afraid to quit because it's not easy, even though they know they should. Smoking doesn't add one positive thing to the smoker's life. Not one thing at all.

After smoking for 30 years and finally quitting, I have seen so many benefits to now being a non-smoker. I feel so much better. I was actually able to lose weight because I can now exercise and run. When I smoked, I used to get headaches a couple of times per week. Now I get a headache once every three months. My blood pressure is down to 110/65. My resting heart rate is down under 45. My cholesterol is down under 160. I can go on and on. My clothes don't smell like shit anymore. My hair doesn't smell like shit anymore. I've made a lot of new friends who are non-smokers. I probably will live much longer than if I continued to smoke, but the real benefit is that I will live those years well, and I will enjoy living them.

Yes, cigarette taxes are unfair, but I support raising them 100%.

Good for you - but keep your anti-smoking fanaticism to yourself. I'm tired of smokers' rights being tied to children. Let the schools and parents educate children on tobacco. Tobacco, used in moderation, brings pleasure to many. Sure, it's a bad habit, but so are many things.

Using tobacco is a legal choice. Using pot is becoming a legal choice. Do you feel the same way about smoking pot? BTW, pot stinks worse than tobacco.

BTW, I do not have to keep my anti-smoking fanaticism to myself. I have the same right as you to say whatever the Hell I choose. If I feel like telling you that you are not only killing yourself, but you are preventing yourself from fully living life, I will do that. I'll also tell you that you have been duped into believing that it is your choice to smoke. It really isn't. Smoking pot is a choice because its not addictive. Smoking cigarettes is like shooting heroin. Heroin just isn't legal. If it was, would you tell your kids it's okay to shoot up?

As an ex-smoker, I think we should tax the shit out of cigarettes, and I will tell you why. While it is unfair to those who are already addicted, the key to reducing smoking is to keep young people from starting. The more cigarettes cost, the more difficult it is for young teenagers and young adults to afford in the first place. That means a lot less young people start smoking and a lot less people become lifelong smokers.

The excuse that "it is my right to smoke" is all horseshit. Smokers who say that are just too afraid to quit because it's not easy, even though they know they should. Smoking doesn't add one positive thing to the smoker's life. Not one thing at all.

After smoking for 30 years and finally quitting, I have seen so many benefits to now being a non-smoker. I feel so much better. I was actually able to lose weight because I can now exercise and run. When I smoked, I used to get headaches a couple of times per week. Now I get a headache once every three months. My blood pressure is down to 110/65. My resting heart rate is down under 45. My cholesterol is down under 160. I can go on and on. My clothes don't smell like shit anymore. My hair doesn't smell like shit anymore. I've made a lot of new friends who are non-smokers. I probably will live much longer than if I continued to smoke, but the real benefit is that I will live those years well, and I will enjoy living them.

Good for you - but keep your anti-smoking fanaticsim to yourself. I'm tired of smokers' rights being tied to children. Let the schools and parents educate children on tobacco. Tobacco, used in moderation, brings pleasure to many. Sure, it's a bad habit, but so are many things.

Using tobacco is a legal choice. Using pot is becoming a legal choice. Do you feel the same way about smoking pot?

Sorry, but very few people use tobacco in moderation because they become addicted to the nicotine. Here's the thing. I did what all smokers do. I told myself how much I enjoyed it, and I told myself that it was my choice and my right. The problem with all of that is that it was just the need to fulfill my addiction talking. In other words, I was lying to myself, just as you are doing. Most smokers will "claim" that smoking relaxes them. Of course it does. Getting your fix when you're going through withdrawal tends to relax all junkies. What you find out once you quit is that you will be relaxed all the time if you are no longer going through withdrawal.

As for pot, in limited amounts, it does much less damage to the lungs, and it is not addictive in any way. While I am not a big supporter of smoking it, I would rather see it legal than tobacco, because it is not addictive.

I smoke 7 or 8 cigarettes a day - and I thoroughly enjoy them. I made the decision several years ago to quit or moderate. I chose to moderate.

Good for you - but keep your anti-smoking fanaticsim to yourself. I'm tired of smokers' rights being tied to children. Let the schools and parents educate children on tobacco. Tobacco, used in moderation, brings pleasure to many. Sure, it's a bad habit, but so are many things.

Using tobacco is a legal choice. Using pot is becoming a legal choice. Do you feel the same way about smoking pot?

Sorry, but very few people use tobacco in moderation because they become addicted to the nicotine. Here's the thing. I did what all smokers do. I told myself how much I enjoyed it, and I told myself that it was my choice and my right. The problem with all of that is that it was just the need to fulfill my addiction talking. In other words, I was lying to myself, just as you are doing. Most smokers will "claim" that smoking relaxes them. Of course it does. Getting your fix when you're going through withdrawal tends to relax all junkies. What you find out once you quit is that you will be relaxed all the time if you are no longer going through withdrawal.

As for pot, in limited amounts, it does much less damage to the lungs, and it is not addictive in any way. While I am not a big supporter of smoking it, I would rather see it legal than tobacco, because it is not addictive.

I smoke 7 or 8 cigarettes a day - and I thoroughly enjoy them. I made the decision several years ago to quit or moderate. I chose to moderate.

I am sure you do enjoy them. I'm also certain that you would enjoy life much more if you quit completely. Just saying...

Horseshit? Ok...so...are you saying it's not my right to choose to smoke? Get real!

And as far as smoking not adding one positive thing to one's life how about the fact that we enjoy it...plain and simple. Does everything we do have to be good and healthy for us? How about the risk skydivers take when they jump out of a plane for the adrenaline rush? How about those bungee jumpers tempting fate? I could go on and on here, but I think you get my vibe.

The point is that citizens rights are being infringed upon...and it's not just smokers rights either. What about the business owners who would like to be allowed to allow smoking within their establishment? They pay the bills and taxes for their establishment but aren't allowed to decide for themselves what they want within the confines of their business. Now...you think the government enforced laws are fair to them and their business?

What happened to this being a free country?

Dude...a reality check here...you're not immune to a smoking related disease. Even non-smokers who have never smoked get emphysema and lung cancer, and the fact that you have a 30 year history of smoking doesn't exactly play very well in your corner. Get a grip man!

Besides, there are actual benefits to smoking:

1. Smoking lowers risk of knee-replacement surgery

2. Smoking lowers risk of Parkinson's disease

3. Smoking lowers risk of obesity

4. Smoking lowers risk of death after some heart attacks

5. Smoking helps the heart drug clopidogrel work better

5 Health Benefits of Smoking | Long-Term Smoking & Heart Attacks | Smoking Lowers Parkinson's Disease Risk | LiveScience

Smoking is also known to reduce the incidence of sarcoidosis [4] and uterine fibroids.

the nicotine in tobacco smoke acting as an anti-inflammatory agent

Risk of ulcerative colitis has been frequently shown to be reduced by smokers on a dose-dependent basis; the effect is eliminated if the individual stops smoking.

Smokers are less often affected by aphthous ulcer.

Health benefits of smoking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since the benefits of smoking are too numerous and consistent to be attributable to error or random chance, it follows that the established truth asserting that smoking is the cause of (almost) all disease cannot be true � a reality that dramatically clashes with the gigantic corruption of public health, its pharmaceutical and insurance mentors, institutions and media. Therefore, it is constantly suppressed in the interest of public health, but not of the people.

Honest scientists have always known that smoking has some benefit. From the apparent shielding effect against Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases to the more intangible benefits associated with well-being and tranquility, smoking tobacco in many ways is definitely good for your health.

Shocker: 'Villain' nicotine slays TB - "Nicotine might be a surprising alternative someday for treating stubborn forms of tuberculosis, a University of Central Florida researcher said Monday. The compound stopped the growth of tuberculosis in laboratory tests, even when used in small quantities, said Saleh Naser, an associate professor of microbiology and molecular biology at UCF. ...

FORCES International - Archive

Nicotine is an Anxiety and Depression Medication

Benefits of Smoking | Suite101

Health benefits of smoking are rarely talked because smoking is one of the most common causes for health problems and death. However, it has been noted that smoking can reduce the occurrence of some conditions like endometrial cancer, ulcerative colitis, Kaposi’s sarcoma, breast cancer, preeclampsia, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease and atopic disorders such as allergic asthma. Often referred to as protective effect, this mechanism is attributed to the anti-inflammatory properties of nicotine, which interferes with these conditions. The scientists from Tornblad Institute have invented recently that pregnant mothers, indulged in smoking, gave birth to babies with decreased neural defect risks.

Health Benefits of Smoking | Organic Facts

I could go on and on here...but the pure fact of the matter is that apparently you have been conned by the faulty public heath initiative to only believe the negative things about tobacco and nicotine. Clearly, there are positives that the public heath folks would rather keep quiet so they can further their agenda without having to be honest about the positive effects of tobacco and nicotine. Ohhhhhh...the pesky truth always gets in the way, huh?

So...with all these benefits of smoking, we smokers could actually point the finger at non-smokers and say they're potentially injuring their health by not smoking. They are also risking the health of their babies since those babies will have an increased risk of neural defects at birth. Let's face it...non-smokers are leading a risky lifestyle! :)

Last edited:
This highly pisses me off - again. Not one penny of tobacco taxes goes toward smokers' healthcare - so why in the hell should smokers (tobacco users) be taxed to pay for children's healthcare and schooling?

Why are you upset? He told you he wouldn't raise taxes on the poor, then did, and you re-elected him.

Now he's got no reason to pretend and no real need to cover up.

Really? Your resting heart rate is less than that of an athlete who is 18 to 25 years old?

Resting Heart Rate Chart

I call bullshit..................................

Why? Because when I was 30, I had a resting heart rate of around 50 to 55 bpm, and I was riding 50 to 100 miles/day on a bicycle. I was also able to drive it up to around 200 (and on one or two occasions to 220, just to see what it felt like, and it was very tough), when I was sprinting in a race (monitored by a Pace heart rate monitor).

Nope............................I don't believe that your rhr (resting heart rate) is 45 bpm. I'm guessing it's more like 60.

Nice try on pulling the wool on other people's eyes though. Unfortunately, I was a Navy Physical Readiness Training (PRT) Coordinator, and I know what the charts say.

Please try again.

• Thanks
Reactions: jan
I stopped using tobacco a couple of months before the first big tax increase...

I paid $17 for my last carton of Cigarettes. That same carton is $50 now.

More info on the health benefits of smoking.

3.28.7 Thyroid cancer?

Some studies have suggested that smoking may be associated with a reduced risk of developing thyroid cancer,36 37 particularly for women;18 however this protective effect has not been found in all studies38 and more research is required before a definitive statement can be made.

3.28.8 Skin cancer?

Early epidemiological studies suggested a protective effect of smoking for melanoma.39-41 More recent analyses from two large prospective cohort studies provides limited evidence to suggest that smoking may reduce melanoma risk; analyses by smoking status provided inconsistent data and no clear dose–response pattern was found. This weakens the argument for a cause–effect relationship between smoking and a protective effect for melanoma.42

3.28.6 Psychiatric symptoms?

The prevalence of smoking is higher among people with psychiatric conditions.27-29 The reasons for this are complex and are discussed in greater detail elsewhere (Chapter 1, Section 1.10.2 and Chapter 9, Section 9.6.1, but one motivating factor for smoking is that tobacco may be regarded by some individuals as a way of relieving unpleasant symptoms of certain types of mental illness, and could therefore be seen as helpful.28

There is evidence that the action of nicotine in enhancing mood and concentration is more pronounced in some individuals with depression and cognitive problems (issues relating to mental awareness and judgement), and also that nicotine can help relieve unwelcome side effects from medication, particularly among patients being treated with antipsychotic drugs.28 These effects may occur because of different actions of nicotine on the brain chemistry reward system, which have been observed in individuals with particular psychiatric conditions.28 For example, nicotine transiently enhances sustained attention in schizophrenia patients; it does not currently offer a useful therapeutic solution but this type of research finding does provide insights for the development of new treatment strategies for attention deficit and sensory disruption which occur in schizophrenia.30, 31 (see also Chapter 6, Section 6.3).

References

1. Doll R, Peto R, Boreham J and Sutherland I. Mortality in relation to smoking: 50 years' observations on male British doctors. British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Ed.) 2004;328(7455):1519. Available from: Mortality in relation to smoking: 50 years' observations on male British doctors | BMJ

2. Collins D and Lapsley H. The costs of tobacco, alcohol and illicit drug abuse to Australian society in 2004/05. P3 2625. Canberra: Department of Health and Ageing, 2008. Available from: http://www.nationaldrugstrategy.gov.au/internet/drugstrategy/publishing.nsf/Content/mono64/$File/mono64.pdf

3. Baron J. Beneficial effects of nicotine and cigarette smoking: the real, the possible and the spurious. British Medical Bulletin 1996;52:58-73. Available from: Beneficial effects of nicotine and cigarette smoking: the real, the possible and the spurious

4. US National Library of Medicine. Ulcerative colitis. Bethseda, Maryland: National Center for Biotechnology Information, PubMed Health, 2010, [viewed 31 May 2011]. Available from: Ulcerative colitis - National Library of Medicine - PubMed Health

5. De Saussure P, Clerson P, Prost P, Truong Tan N, Bouhnik Y and Rch G. Appendectomy, smoking habits and the risk of developing ulcerative colitis: a case control study in private practice setting. Gastroenterologie Clinique et Biologique.2007. 31(5):493–7 Available from: Appendectomy, smoking habits and the risk of developing ulcerative colitis: a case control study in private practice setting - EM|consulte

6. Birrenbach T and Bocker U. Inflammatory bowel disease and smoking: a review of epidemiology, pathophysiology and therapeutic implications. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases 2004;10(6):848-59. Available from: Inflammatory bowel disease and smoking: a ... [Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

7. Cottone M, Georgios A and Sinagra E. Smoking therapy may be an extreme cure in exsmokers with steroid-dependent and resistant ulcerative colitis. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases.2011. [Epub ahead of print] Available from: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ibd.21658/full

8. Tanaka K, Miyake Y, Fukushima W, Sasaki S, Kiyohara C, Tsuboi Y, et al. Active and passive smoking and risk of Parkinson's disease. Acta Neurologica Scandinavica 2010;122(6):377–82. Available from: Active and passive smoking and risk of Parkinson?s disease - Tanaka - 2010 - Acta Neurologica Scandinavica - Wiley Online Library

9. Allam MF, Campbell M, Hofman A, Del Castillo A and Fern√°ndez-Crehuet NR. Smoking and Parkinsons disease: systematic review of prospective studies. Movement Disorders 2004;19(6):614-21. Available from: Smoking and Parkinson's disease: systematic revie... [Mov Disord. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

10. Quik M, Huang L, Parameswaran N, Bordia T, Campos C and Perez X. Multiple roles for nicotine in Parkinson's disease. Biochemical Pharmacology 2009;78(7):677–85. Available from: Multiple roles for nicotine in Parkinson's... [Biochem Pharmacol. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

11. Quik M, O'Leary K and Tanner C. Nicotine and Parkinson's disease: implications for therapy. Movement Disorders 2008;23(12):1641–52. Available from: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/mds.21900/pdf

12. Quik M. Smoking, nicotine and Parkinson's disease. Trends in Neurosciences 2004;27:561-8. Available from: Smoking, nicotine and Parkinson's disease. [Trends Neurosci. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

13. Holmes A, Copland D, Silburn P and Chenery H. Nicotine effects on general semantic priming in Parkinson's disease. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology 2011;[Epub ahead of print] Available from: Nicotine effects on general semanti... [Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

14. Yang HP, Brinton LA, Platz EA, Lissowska J, Lacey JV, Jr., Sherman ME, et al. Active and passive cigarette smoking and the risk of endometrial cancer in Poland. European Journal of Cancer 2010;46(4):690-6. Available from: Active and passive cigarette smoking and the ri... [Eur J Cancer. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

15. Polesel J, Serraino D, Zucchetto A, Lucenteforte E, Dal Maso L, Levi F, et al. Cigarette smoking and endometrial cancer risk: the modifying effect of obesity. European Journal of Cancer Prevention 2009;[Epub ahead of print] Available from: Cigarette smoking and endometrial cancer r... [Eur J Cancer Prev. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

16. Zhou B, Yang L, Sun Q, Cong R, Gu H, Tang N, et al. Cigarette smoking and the risk of endometrial cancer: a meta-analysis. The American Journal of Medicine 2008;121(6):501–8. Available from: Cigarette smoking and the risk of endometrial cance... [Am J Med. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

17. Al-Zoughool M, Dossus L, Kaaks R, Clavel-Chapelon F, Tjønneland A, Olsen A, et al. Risk of endometrial cancer in relationship to cigarette smoking: results from the EPIC study. International Journal of Cancer 2007;121(12):2741–7. Available from: Risk of endometrial cancer in relationship to cigarette smoking: Results from the EPIC study - Al-Zoughool - 2007 - International Journal of Cancer - Wiley Online Library

18. US Department of Health and Human Services. Women and smoking. A report of the Surgeon General. Atlanta, Georgia: US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health. Atlanta, Georgia, 2001. Available from: SGR 2001 Redirect

19. US Department of Health and Human Services. The health consequences of smoking: a report of the Surgeon General. Atlanta, Georgia: US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, 2004. Available from: CDC - Surgeon General's Report - Smoking & Tobacco Use

20. Jeyabalan A, Powers R, Durica A, Harger G, Roberts J and Ness R. Cigarette smoke exposure and angiogenic factors in pregnancy and preeclampsia. American Journal of Hypertension 2008;21(8):943–7. Available from: Academic Journals formerly published by NPG

21. Wikstrom A, Stephansson O and Cnattingius S. Tobacco use during pregnancy and preeclampsia risk. Effects of cigarette smoking and snuff. Hypertension 2010;55(5):1254–9. Available from: http://hyper.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/55/5/1254

22. Xiong X, Zhang J and Fraser W. Quitting smoking during early versus late pregnancy: the risk of preeclampsia and adverse birth outcomes. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada 2009;31(8):702–7. Available from: http://www.sogc.org/jogc/abstracts/full/200908_Obstetrics_1.pdf

23. Heishman S, Kleykamp B and Singleton E. Meta-analysis of the acute effects of nicotine and smoking on human performance. Psychopharmacology 2010;210(4):453–69. Available from: Meta-analysis of the acute effects... [Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

24. Castner S, Smagin G, Piser T, Wang Y, Smith J, Christian E, et al. Immediate and sustained improvements in working memory after selective stimulation of alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. Biological Psychiatry 2011;69(1):12–18. Available from: Elsevier

25. Beaver JD, Long CJ, Cole DM, Durcan MJ, Bannon LC, Mishra RG, et al. The effects of nicotine replacement on cognitive brain activity during smoking withdrawal studied with simultaneous fMRI/EEG. Neuropsychopharmacology 2011;[Epub ahead of print] Available from: The effects of nicotine replacement ... [Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

26. Rusted J, Sawyer R, Jones C, Trawley S and Marchant N. Positive effects of nicotine on cognition: the deployment of attention for prospective memory. Psychopharmacology 2009;202((1–3)):93–102. Available from: Positive effects of nicotine on co... [Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

27. Lasser K, Boyd L, Woolhandler S, Himmelstein S, McCormick D and Bor D. Smoking and mental illness: a population-based prevalence study. Journal of the American Medical Association 2000;284(2):2606–10. Available from: JAMA Network | JAMA | Smoking and Mental IllnessA Population-Based Prevalence Study

28. McNeill A. Smoking and mental health: a review of the literature. London: Smokefree London Programme, 2001. Available from: http://www.ash.org.uk/html/policy/menlitrev.pdf

29. Jablensky A, McGrath J, Herrman H, Castle D, Gureje O, Morgan V, et al. People living with psychotic illness: an Australian study 1997-98. Canberra: Mental Health Branch, Commonwealth Department of Health and Aged Care, 1999.

30. Hong L, Schroeder M, Ross T, Buchholz B, Salmeron B, Wonodi I, et al. Nicotine enhances but does not normalize visual sustained attention and the associated brain network in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin 2011;37(2):416–25. Available from: Nicotine Enhances but Does Not Normalize Visual Sustained Attention and the Associated Brain Network in Schizophrenia

31. Conway J. Exogenous nicotine normalises sensory gating in schizophrenia; therapeutic implications. Medical Hypotheses 2009;73(2):259–62. Available from: Exogenous nicotine normalises sensory gating ... [Med Hypotheses. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

32. Lawrence D, Holman C and Jablensky A. Duty to care. Preventable physical illness in people with mental illness. Perth: The University of Western Australia, 2001.

33. Knuts I, Cosci F, Esquivel G, Goossens L, van Duinen M, Bareman M, et al. Cigarette smoking and 35% CO(2) induced panic in panic disorder patients. Journal of Affective Disorders 2010;124(1–2):215–8. Available from: Cigarette smoking and 35% CO(2) induced pani... [J Affect Disord. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

34. Dalby R, Chakravarty M, Ahdidan J, Sorensen L, Frandsen J, Jonsdottir K, et al. Localization of white-matter lesions and effect of vascular risk factors in late-onset major depression. Psychological Medicine 2010;40(8):1389–99. Available from: Cambridge Journals Online - Psychological Medicine - Abstract - Localization of white-matter lesions and effect of vascular risk factors in late-onset major depression

35. Ministerial Council on Drug Strategy. Australian National Tobacco Strategy 2004-2009. Canberra: Department of Health and Ageing, 2005. Available from: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/tobacco-strat

36. Czarnywojtek A, Kurdybacha P, Florek E, Warmuz-Stangierska I, Zdanowska J, Zgorzlewicz M, et al. Smoking and thyroid diseases-what is new?. Przeglad Lekarski 2010;67(10):1056-60. Available from: Smoking and thyroid diseases--what is new? [Przegl Lek. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

37. Kreiger N and Parkes R. Cigarette smoking and the risk of thyroid cancer. European Journal of Cancer 2000;36(15):1969-73. Available from: Cigarette smoking and the risk of thyroid cancer. [Eur J Cancer. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI

38. Bandurska-Stankiewicz E, Aksamit-Bialoszewska E, Rutkowska J, Stankiewicz A and Shafie D. The effect of nutritional habits and addictions on the incidence of thyroid carcinoma in the Olsztyn province of Poland. Endokrynologia Polska 2011;62(2):145-50. Available from: The effect of nutritional habits and addictio... [Endokrynol Pol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

39. Grant WB. Skin aging from ultraviolet irradiance and smoking reduces risk of melanoma: epidemiological evidence. Anticancer Research 2008;28(6B):4003–8. Available from: International Institute of Anticancer Research

40. Zanetti R, Loria D and Rosso S. Melanoma, Parkinson's disease and levodopa: causal or spurious link? A review of the literature. Melanoma Research 2006;16(3):201-6. Available from: Melanoma, Parkinson's disease and levodopa: cau... [Melanoma Res. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

41. Freedman DM, Sigurdson A, Doody MM, Rao RS and Linet MS. Risk of melanoma in relation to smoking, alcohol intake, and other factors in a large occupational cohort. Cancer Causes & Control 2003;14(9):847-57. Available from: Risk of melanoma in relation to smokin... [Cancer Causes Control. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

42. Delancey JO, Hannan LM, Gapstur SM and Thun MJ. Cigarette smoking and the risk of incident and fatal melanoma in a large prospective cohort study. Cancer Causes & Control 2011;22(6):937-42. Available from: Cigarette smoking and the risk of inci... [Cancer Causes Control. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

43. Rivera-Hidalgo F, Shulman J and Beach M. The association of tobacco and other factors with recurrent aphthous stomatitis in a US adult population. Oral Diseases 2004;10(6):335-45. Available from: The association of tobacco and other factors with r... [Oral Dis. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

44. Grady D, Ernster V, Stillman L and Greenspan J. Smokeless tobacco use prevents aphthous stomatitis. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, and Oral Pathology 1992;74:463-5. Available from: Smokeless tobacco use prevent... [Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1992] - PubMed - NCBI

45. Sawair FA. Does smoking really protect from recurrent aphthous stomatitis? Therapeutic Clinical Risk Management 2010;6:573-7. Available from: Does smoking really protect from recurr... [Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

46. Ussher M, West R, Steptoe A and McEwen A. Increase in common cold symptoms and mouth ulcers following smoking cessation. Tobacco Control 2003;12:86-8. Available from: Increase in common cold symptoms and mouth ulcers following smoking cessation -- Ussher et al. 12 (1): 86 -- Tobacco Control

3.28 Health 'benefits' of smoking? - Tobacco In Australia

Ok...last one...I promise! :lol:

1. According to Warburton, D.M., author of “The Effects of Cigarette Smoking on Human Information Processing and the role of Nicotine in These Effects” higher nicotine cigarettes produce greater improvements in terms of information processing than low-nicotine cigarettes. This means according to him, smoking improves human information processing ability.

2. Based from an Australian study recorded in the “1980-90 National Health Survey: Lifestyle and Health Australia”, only 11.3% smokers suffered from hypertension compared to 29% non-smokers. From the same record, 91.8% of those non-smokers have tendencies to have long term illnesses compared to 89% smokers.

3. From A. Lang’s “Effect of Smoking on Immunological Abnormalities in Asbestos Workers”, it says smoking has protective effect on immunological abnormalities in asbestos workers.

4. “An Assessment of Smoking in Pregnancy,” by J. Correy, et.al says that cigarette smokers have lower risk of having hypertension and postpartum hemorrhage.

6. Published in London University, Institute of Psychiatry, it says smoking can improve motor performance in athletes.

7. An article written by H.Z. Chen, et al. published in Shanghai Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases says that hypertension or most commonly referred as high blood pressure is less common among smokers.

9. Red blood cells from those who smoke contain more glutathione and catalase and protect endothelial cells against dioxide metabolites compared to those who never smoke.
http://healthmad.com/health/smoking-cigarettes-has-good-benefits/

Yanno.......................I chew tobacco (Copenhagen Long Cut in the red topped can is my favorite) and, if paying a bit more for my bad habit is going to help fund education, go ahead.

Matter of fact, you can increase it from the current price I pay at 3.50/can to 4.50/can.

I'd really like to see our kids educated.

And you know..........................if it's for the children to be educated, I don't really have a problem. If it gets too expensive, I'll quit.

But, if it's to educate kids, that may mean I won't quit until it's over 10.00/can and only after we're turning out at least one Einstein type child per school per year.

That's your choice, but not all tobacco users can afford that. First, Obama hit them with a 156% increase in 2009 and now he's planning to DOUBLE that again. I can also afford the increase - but that's not the point. It isn't right. It isn't fair.

On this we disagree....................who determines what is "fair" or not? And.................why can't those with bad habits (like me) pay for a child to get a good education?

I know that I got a good one, and it was paid for by the people.

And................even if others can't afford that while I can, why shouldn't I share?

I even give money to people on the streetcorner, and don't really ask what they're going to do with it. I'm just happy that they're happy and can afford food (if they want it), or even a 6 pack (if that's what they want).

As far as kids getting knowledge so they can function in the world? As much as I can give, and as long as they learn.

And........................they can learn at their own pace.

Apparently, your education did not include the use of ellipses. You're downright abusive.

By Tara Culp-Ressler

President Obama unveiled his budget proposal on Tuesday morning, confirming early reports that his initiatives include an expansion of universal preschool programs by raising revenue from additional tobacco taxes. Obama’s preschool plan is winning praise from both anti-smoking advocates and early childhood education proponents, but it isn’t popular with everyone. Even before the specific details were made available on Tuesday, the proposed tax increase garnered criticism from the powerful companies that comprise Big Tobacco.

The current federal tax on cigarettes is about $1 a pack, and President Obama’s proposal would increase that by an additional 94 cents. That hike would raise $75 billion to help subsidize preschool for children whose families who earn up to 200 percent of the federal poverty line, in a national effort to encourage more four-year-olds to enroll in pre-K programs. The tax increase would also raise $1.6 billion for the Early Head Start program and $15 billion for other programs.

The Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids has praised the policy, noting that higher tobacco taxes are a proven method of reducing smoking rates as well as a reliable revenue source. The advocacy group also points out that the majority of Americans support increasing taxes on tobacco products. In a statement released last week in regards to Obama’s forthcoming budget, the Campaign described the proposed tax as “a health win that will reduce tobacco use and save lives, a financial win that will raise revenue to fund an important initiative and reduce tobacco-related health care costs, and a political win that is popular with voters.” Total annual public and private health care expenditures caused by smoking are estimated at $96 billion.

More: Big Tobacco Already Resisting Obama's Proposal To Fund Universal Preschool With Cigarette Taxes

I was raised and worked on a tobacco farm in northern Tennessee. My grandfather and his before him, raised the crop for generations. We were always under the control of the government relative to the amount of crop we could grow. For instance, on his farm of 400 acres, his allocation was 44 acres of crop. Glad to see the death of the tobacco industry in Tennessee is not by happenstance.

This year's crop is only a small one ~4.5 acres. Of course demand is down as a result of health concerns and taxes. Not to mention, we are sharing the 'supply source' with Vietnam who has a stronghold in the limited market.

Think you can roll you own? Not really- Government is controlling papers, and loose leaf due to the absence of tax revenue vs a pack of cigarettes.

Taxes kill commerce and promotes dependency.

-Geaux

I'm looking at the feasability of growing tobacco in raised beds. Red wiggler worms and comfrey can change the course of this nation. We have the ability to feed ourselves and prosper without the interference of the federal government.

By Tara Culp-Ressler

President Obama unveiled his budget proposal on Tuesday morning, confirming early reports that his initiatives include an expansion of universal preschool programs by raising revenue from additional tobacco taxes. Obama’s preschool plan is winning praise from both anti-smoking advocates and early childhood education proponents, but it isn’t popular with everyone. Even before the specific details were made available on Tuesday, the proposed tax increase garnered criticism from the powerful companies that comprise Big Tobacco.

The current federal tax on cigarettes is about $1 a pack, and President Obama’s proposal would increase that by an additional 94 cents. That hike would raise $75 billion to help subsidize preschool for children whose families who earn up to 200 percent of the federal poverty line, in a national effort to encourage more four-year-olds to enroll in pre-K programs. The tax increase would also raise $1.6 billion for the Early Head Start program and $15 billion for other programs.

The Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids has praised the policy, noting that higher tobacco taxes are a proven method of reducing smoking rates as well as a reliable revenue source. The advocacy group also points out that the majority of Americans support increasing taxes on tobacco products. In a statement released last week in regards to Obama’s forthcoming budget, the Campaign described the proposed tax as “a health win that will reduce tobacco use and save lives, a financial win that will raise revenue to fund an important initiative and reduce tobacco-related health care costs, and a political win that is popular with voters.” Total annual public and private health care expenditures caused by smoking are estimated at $96 billion.

More: Big Tobacco Already Resisting Obama's Proposal To Fund Universal Preschool With Cigarette Taxes

I was raised and worked on a tobacco farm in northern Tennessee. My grandfather and his before him, raised the crop for generations. We were always under the control of the government relative to the amount of crop we could grow. For instance, on his farm of 400 acres, his allocation was 44 acres of crop. Glad to see the death of the tobacco industry in Tennessee is not by happenstance.

This year's crop is only a small one ~4.5 acres. Of course demand is down as a result of health concerns and taxes. Not to mention, we are sharing the 'supply source' with Vietnam who has a stronghold in the limited market.

Think you can roll you own? Not really- Government is controlling papers, and loose leaf due to the absence of tax revenue vs a pack of cigarettes.

-Geaux

Actually, dependency on cigarettes is caused by the volume of chemicals that they blend into it to keep you buying more.

Did you know that tobacco (in it's natural form) can actually be helpful for certain things?

The crap that is in cigarettes is toxic and should be banned, because it causes addicts.

Nicotine (in a pure form) can not only help with headaches, but it can also help with toothaches.

Why do I know this? Because after having issues with my teeth (wisdom removal and such) I was told that pure leaf tobacco can help to relieve the pain. I was told that by a dentist.

I was also told to use products that were as close to being the original plant as I could find.

Know what happened? I chewed tobacco (the loose leaf kind) and was rewarded with very little pain.

Recently I read an article about the cigarette taxes being very high in New York...they are so high that smuggling cigarettes from other states has become very popular. So...their solution to fix the smuggling issue is to hire more cops to patrol the problem, instead of lowering taxes on the local cigs so people wouldn't be tempted to smuggle them in from out of state.

Them hiring more cops is going to of course cost the taxpayers more money out of pocket for the tax revenue to cover these additional salaries. I swear I feel like I'm living in a crazy world these days!

Recently I read an article about the cigarette taxes being very high in New York...they are so high that smuggling cigarettes from other states has become very popular. So...their solution to fix the smuggling issue is to hire more cops to patrol the problem, instead of lowering taxes on the local cigs so people wouldn't be tempted to smuggle them in from out of state.

Them hiring more cops is going to of course cost the taxpayers more money out of pocket for the tax revenue to cover these additional salaries. I swear I feel like I'm living in a crazy world these days!

Same old government. The cost always exceeds the benefits. We are very good at spending $100 to save $30.

-Geaux

-Geaux

Actually, dependency on cigarettes is caused by the volume of chemicals that they blend into it to keep you buying more.

Did you know that tobacco (in it's natural form) can actually be helpful for certain things?

The crap that is in cigarettes is toxic and should be banned, because it causes addicts.

Nicotine (in a pure form) can not only help with headaches, but it can also help with toothaches.

Why do I know this? Because after having issues with my teeth (wisdom removal and such) I was told that pure leaf tobacco can help to relieve the pain. I was told that by a dentist.

I was also told to use products that were as close to being the original plant as I could find.

Know what happened? I chewed tobacco (the loose leaf kind) and was rewarded with very little pain.

Some good points. Tobacco also works very will on wasp/hornet stings. Sucks the poison right out.

My dependency comment was in relation to the dependency of many for Government entitlements. In other words, Tax revenue availability is an enabler for those who feel entitled.

-Geaux

It thoroughly pleases me that you are pissed off. I wished he'd raise them by $2.04 cents per pack. I think a ten dollar pack is what all obama supporters should pay just because they voted for him.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Don't smoke.

I recently quit smoking and figure by doing so I am saving about $200 a month.

The increasing costs (my ciggies are $8 a pack) and the planned new Fed and State taxes certainly played a role in my decision to quit.

Government often turn to what they like to call SIN TAXES because they know that they will get support from those who object to those"sinful habits".

Alcohol obviously also gets taxed far more than it ought to be taxed.

You guys wait..sugar is next on the hit list, I suspect.

By Tara Culp-Ressler

-Geaux

Cigs, causes cancer and kills the customer.

Hey how much does to cost to treat a cancer patienst on Medicare? Or just how much does it cost to treat any smoking related illness? Especially when the smoker is living on the government check.

You all don't want to pay those crazy cig prices? Then quit smoking.

You all ever notice the number of welfare recipients that smoke? Or the number of unemployed that smoke. Wasted money up front and even more wasted money when the health issues kick in.

Forum List

Back