ObamaCare is Going Back to Court! And this Case is Much Stronger Than The Last!

ACA is the lsaw of thre land/.

Republicans need to let this omne go.

maybe one day they will pass a budget

Funny I thought the Constitution trumped the ACA. They can't both be "the law of the land." Which one takes precedence? On a side note ...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RElvujHmAnk]Floor Speech - 1400 Days Since Senate Democrats Passed a Budget - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Get over it. How many times does this thing need to ho to court? Damn obstructionists.

Get over it. How many times does this thing need to ho to court? Damn obstructionists.

Your mad that people are trying to repeal a law that skipped constitutional and procedural process, that no one read, was constructed behind closed doors, rejected by US citizens, proven to add to our deficit and increase healthcare costs, and causing millions of workers to accept only part time work? Geeze, how could we have seen obstruction coming through such a process? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The question was not whether the state or federal governments can tax behavior but whether the individual mandate was a tax or penalty. No one argued that the government lacks the power to tax. Likewise the Supreme Court, while ruling that a tax can reasonably be construed to have the effect of a penalty, never have they ruled that a penalty can reasonably be construed as a tax. With respect to justifying a wrong with another wrong; the question should always be laid on its merits and if you are trying to point to inconsistencies in other similar but different cases you are not judging the case at hand on it's merits but justifying it via pointing to other "wrongs."

Again, I don't think g5000 is 'justifying' anything. I'm certainly not. The mandate is flatout wrong in my view, regardless of what you call it. But it is fundamentally no different than other tax incentives that pollute our tax code at all levels. I just think you're barking up the wrong tree in opposing it on technical nomenclature issues. The difference between a tax incentive and a tax penalty is entirely superficial. And in that narrow sense, Roberts was right to rule as he did.

Where the Constitutionality of PPACA, and the mandate, is questionable (apart from my general conviction that discriminatory taxation should be banned outright) is the fact that Congress deliberately used ambiguities in the language to deceive the public. The President and Congress repeatedly claimed the mandate was not a tax, presumably to maintain the ruse that they weren't 'raising taxes'. They knew there was really no difference between tax incentives and penalties implemented via taxation, and hoped the court would agree. But they avoided calling it what it was to limit public opposition. To me that's a kind of fraud, and I'd hope such a thing is unacceptable - to voters if not the Court.

Last edited:
The question was not whether the state or federal governments can tax behavior but whether the individual mandate was a tax or penalty. No one argued that the government lacks the power to tax. Likewise the Supreme Court, while ruling that a tax can reasonably be construed to have the effect of a penalty, never have they ruled that a penalty can reasonably be construed as a tax. With respect to justifying a wrong with another wrong; the question should always be laid on its merits and if you are trying to point to inconsistencies in other similar but different cases you are not judging the case at hand on it's merits but justifying it via pointing to other "wrongs."

Again, I don't think g5000 is 'justifying' anything. I'm certainly not. The mandate is flatout wrong in my view, regardless of what you call it. But it is fundamentally no different than other tax incentives that pollute our tax code at all levels. I just think you're barking up the wrong tree in opposing it on technical nomenclature issues. The difference between a tax incentive and a tax penalty is entirely superficial. And in that narrow sense, Roberts was right to rule as he did.

Where the Constitutionality of PPACA, and the mandate, is questionable (apart from my general conviction that discriminatory taxation should be banned outright) is the fact that Congress deliberately used ambiguities in the language to deceive the public. The President and Congress repeatedly claimed the mandate was not a tax, presumably to maintain the ruse that they weren't 'raising taxes'. They knew there was really no difference between tax incentives and penalties implemented via taxation, and hoped the court would agree. But they avoided calling it what it was to limit public opposition. To me that's a kind of fraud, and I'd hope such a thing is unacceptable - to voters if not the Court.

Revisiting why the founders wanted all revenue raising bills to originate in the House will convince you why this is more than just a "technical nomenclature." It is a vital part of the American system stemming all the way from "taxation without representation." Calling it a "technical nomenclature" just goes to show how spoiled and ignorant we are when it comes to appreciating why our government was set up in the manner it was and how it continues to benefit us today. What you call a "technical nomenclature" I call "the primary reason why we went to war for independence." Indeed, the reason we have a country today is embodied in the ideas laid fourth in what you call a "technical nomenclature."

Last edited:
Does it really matter what they call it, a tax or a penalty because when tax time comes around and people are expecting a refund, they are going to be in for a big surprise. Either a reduced tax refund or none at all.

Does it really matter what they call it, a tax or a penalty because when tax time comes around and people are expecting a refund, they are going to be in for a big surprise. Either a reduced tax refund or none at all.

According to President Obama and Democrats in Congress it was a penalty (They didn't want to look like they're raising taxes, and of course, the Senate couldn't bypass the House if the mandate was a tax). According to Obama's lawyer before the Supreme Court, it was a tax all along. Constitutionally, it matters big!

Now that the individual mandate in Obamacare has been deemed a tax (not a penalty as the president promised), a new Constitutional question arises. The United States Constitution commands that,

“All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives”

But ObamaCare DID NOT ORIGINATE in the House of Representatives! It originated in the Senate. Yes the House of Representatives passed H.R.3590, however, when they passed H.R.3590 it was called the “Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009.” In other words, the House passed the Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009, the Senate gutted the 6 page bill, added two thousand pages to it, and renamed it “An act entitled The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.”

If the Supreme Court says it's OK to call a penalty a "tax" (when it wasn't), what makes you think they will hesitate to call HR3950 "originated in the House" (when it did)?

This case has no chance in the present Supreme Court. Better try something else.

Now that the individual mandate in Obamacare has been deemed a tax (not a penalty as the president promised), a new Constitutional question arises. The United States Constitution commands that,

But ObamaCare DID NOT ORIGINATE in the House of Representatives! It originated in the Senate. Yes the House of Representatives passed H.R.3590, however, when they passed H.R.3590 it was called the “Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009.” In other words, the House passed the Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009, the Senate gutted the 6 page bill, added two thousand pages to it, and renamed it “An act entitled The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.”

If the Supreme Court says it's OK to call a penalty a "tax" (when it wasn't), what makes you think they will hesitate to call HR3950 "originated in the House" (when it did)?

This case has no chance in the present Supreme Court. Better try something else.

That's more or less the point I'm making. Though Publius has made a compelling argument that there are substantive Constitutional concerns over the origin of tax bills, I have hard time seeing the Court even consider it, much less overturn the law on these grounds.

First, before I begin, I must afford you the opportunity of showing how sorry I am for the fact that you have zero reading comprehension or the ability of critical analysis. With all that said, seeing that you obviously either did not read or did not understand the op, I must further explain to you that the version that originated in the House was not a revenue raising bill. Now, must I explain to you the problem with that or have you read your Constitution lately? Fat chance huh?

Last edited:
I find it charming how people, after seeing how the Supremes blithely rewrote the mandate's penalty into something it wasn't, assume the same Supremes will treat their own pet case any differently.

My 7-year-old isn't that naive.

I find it charming how people, after seeing how the Supremes blithely rewrote the mandate's penalty into something it wasn't, assume the same Supremes will treat their own pet case any differently.

My 7-year-old isn't that naive.

I find it charming when people display their ignorance of the subject matter only to figure out how ignorant they were and instead of continuing with their argument they post something along the lines of the above.

I was unaware that your 7 year old was a constitutional scholar. Certainly he/she didn't get it from you?

Last edited:

That's more or less the point I'm making. Though Publius has made a compelling argument that there are substantive Constitutional concerns over the origin of tax bills, I have hard time seeing the Court even consider it, much less overturn the law on these grounds.

I think the biggest hurdle is getting the judges to accept a grievance from a group rather than the House itself. Still, yet another problem is that the Supremes generally stay out of congressional procedure. This case is different though. This procedure is written in the Constitution.

Last edited:
If Roberts wasn't willing to strike down Obamacare on substantive constitutional grounds, why would he be a stickler for procedural errors?
You have a point. Under Roberts, the Judiciary no longer acts as a check against the power of a corrupted Legislature. He has said as much in his ruling on Obamacare.

Hotze v. Sebelius: ObamaCare is Going Back to Court! And this Case is Much Stronger Than The Last!

We all remember from the last SCOTUS ruling that

1) The individual mandate is not authorized under the commerce clause because it forces people to enter into commerce; it does not regulate existing commerce.

2) The individual mandate was held constitutional under the congressional authority to TAX.

Now that the individual mandate in Obamacare has been deemed a tax (not a penalty as the president promised), a new Constitutional question arises. Article 1 Section 7 (The Origination Clause) of the United States Constitution commands that,

But ObamaCare DID NOT ORIGINATE in the House of Representatives! It originated in the Senate. Yes the House of Representatives passed H.R.3590, however, when they passed H.R.3590 it was called the “Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009.” In other words, the House passed the Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009, the Senate gutted the 6 page bill, added two thousand pages to it, and renamed it “An act entitled The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.” The Senate then deemed it passed by the House of Representatives and sent it to the president’s desk for signing. Don’t believe me? See the bill’s record HERE.

Indeed, the Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009 WAS NOT a revenue raising bill, and thus, ObamaCare is in clear and very plain violation of Article 1 Section 7 of the United States Constitution! In Fact, it was a tax credit bill for veterans and raised zero revenue! That, among other reasons, was why the Senate used the word "penalty" in place of "tax." However, the Supreme Court has now considered it a tax, and thus, a question that was ignored during the first SCOTUS case now becomes the final hope of those wishing to abolish this tyrannical law. Obamacare in its entirety will go down in a ball of flames. What great times we live in! See below at 4:30 where they explain their legal challenge.

Dr. Steven Hotze Filing Suit Against Obamacare. (FULL PRESS CONFERENCE) - YouTube!

Read More Here A New Legal Challenge to ObamaCare

UPDATE: the story continues >>>>>>
http://www.usmessageboard.com/8401594-post1.html
We give Chief Justice second chance on ObamaCare

Last edited by a moderator:
The damn thing has failed to give people their health insurance. It has done the opposite as it has raisin the price of insurance and dropped more people.

I mean wtf?

It has done none of the above. It hasn't failed to do anything yet. Once in place, we will see weather or not it is workable and what effects it will have. As of now, everyone is just speculating. Remember this simple fact; before the ACA was passed, insurance premiums were increasing by 10 to 15% every single year. It was becoming a nightmare. So many of you seem to forget this fact or are unaware of it because you only pay a portion of your health insurance premiums as the majority is covered by your employer. I pay my own, and I've seen how the cost has increased over the years.

It sure has not given me any of that 2500 that was promised.

If Roberts wasn't willing to strike down Obamacare on substantive constitutional grounds, why would he be a stickler for procedural errors?

Article 1 Section 7 of the U.S. Constituion: “All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives”

It doesn’t get any more substantive than that! Indeed, before it was a penalty and the word "tax" was absent from the bill. They did this precisely so it didn't need to go through the House. Now that it is a tax, despite the fact that it is called a penalty in the bill, it must go through regular order and originate in the House as per Article 1 Section 7 of the U.S. Constitution in order for it to be constitution. It did not do that!

There were at least 22 other taxes in the bill besides the individual mandate. The bill number that was passed did originate in the house, it was stripped of it's total language and the ACA was inserted. It has been an accepted practice in congress for decades so I wouldn't hold your breath on the court doing anything.

Article 1 Section 7 of the U.S. Constituion: “All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives”

It doesn’t get any more substantive than that! Indeed, before it was a penalty and the word "tax" was absent from the bill. They did this precisely so it didn't need to go through the House. Now that it is a tax, despite the fact that it is called a penalty in the bill, it must go through regular order and originate in the House as per Article 1 Section 7 of the U.S. Constitution in order for it to be constitution. It did not do that!

There were at least 22 other taxes in the bill besides the individual mandate. The bill number that was passed did originate in the house, it was stripped of it's total language and the ACA was inserted. It has been an accepted practice in congress for decades so I wouldn't hold your breath on the court doing anything.

Yes, but that "accepted practice" you speak of was in reference to bills that raised zero revenue. In this case the revenue raising originated in the Senate. The Supreme Court has never ruled on such a case as this one.

Last edited:
The damn thing has failed to give people their health insurance. It has done the opposite as it has raisin the price of insurance and dropped more people.

I mean wtf?

It has done none of the above. It hasn't failed to do anything yet. Once in place, we will see weather or not it is workable and what effects it will have. As of now, everyone is just speculating. Remember this simple fact; before the ACA was passed, insurance premiums were increasing by 10 to 15% every single year. It was becoming a nightmare. So many of you seem to forget this fact or are unaware of it because you only pay a portion of your health insurance premiums as the majority is covered by your employer. I pay my own, and I've seen how the cost has increased over the years.

Because of ACA I will lose my health care plan at the end of this year and so will a lot of others I know who are not 65 yet. On the other hand those who work part time, 30 hours or more can now purchase health care through their employer. Expensive but available. I have been looking at alternatives and they are all expensive, relative to what I have been paying. Keep the payment lower and the deductible sky rockets. I talked to HR and they told me to go to the Obamacare site because that is making health care affordable. The did seem genuinely surprised when I told them how un-affordable the rates really were.

Forum List

Back