[OFFICIAL SOFTWARE UPGRADE] Help and Bug Thread

'Nother personal one-up victory little man? Feel better now?
Probably not...

FYI, I already stated, in this thread, that my intent was to disable scripts on this site unless they fixed the one that hijacks my browser shortcuts. Since they never fixed that, I no longer allow any scripts from this site to run. In order to use the function described, if it even exists, I would have to enable scripts, hover at some random, undefined point on the page, wait for a pop up to appear, click on the page one link, then disable the scripts once again. Since you seem to think handy trumps common sense, wouldn't it be handy to have the main link go to the first post, and the little button on the side take you to the first unread post, just like the old software did?

Change for the sake of change only works for idiots that think all change is good.

Why does trolls' reading comprehension melt down at the sight of a simple term like "handy"?

The jump to top button is a piece of useless bling that only children would even use, it does not fit any definition of handy I have ever seen. If you have a different one, feel free to trot it out.

Captain Obvious sez:
uh - it's there on the screen. That means I don't have to lift off from the mouse and go hunting around for a "home" or "page up" key, which is buried above a number pad in a place I rarely ever go and never without interrupting what I'm doing, spending several seconds hunting around and maybe having to turn a light on just to see where it is.

I'm used to scrolling with the mouse wheel for that purpose but since they got the jumper to show up in the frame I find it's handy, and quicker than scrolling, to zip up on a long page. And it would be just as handy to have its counterpart to zip back down.

I told C_K I really didn't care but now that it's there I find it handy. Sorry if that's too unicorns and rainbows for your sad little contrarian world.

[
Yes, and the posts are becoming HUGE! Under the prior system only the last 3 are quoted. In the one linked below there are 14 quotes. :eek-52:

Liberalism vs America

Since the Reply test box doesn't have a scroll function it makes it awkward to apply formatting.

How can anyone decipher who is saying what when you have to scroll up and down and probably put your finger in the space and follow it up and down to see who said what? I would think multi-quoting would be more sensible, then you can see each quote and who said it, if it's all necessary to have all relevant posts available in one post.

Multiquoting is an option we were trying before nesting was enabled but one problem is that multiquotes seem to appear in random order. If they're not chronological it's impossible to figure out who was responding to what.

I believe they appear in the order that you click on them. Or, if you know the sequence you can always highlight the whole quote, cut it and paste it where you think it should go. I know it may be a bit of work, but I'm sure we can't get the computer to do everything for us just the way we want it.

[
Yes, and the posts are becoming HUGE! Under the prior system only the last 3 are quoted. In the one linked below there are 14 quotes. :eek-52:

Liberalism vs America

Since the Reply test box doesn't have a scroll function it makes it awkward to apply formatting.

How can anyone decipher who is saying what when you have to scroll up and down and probably put your finger in the space and follow it up and down to see who said what? I would think multi-quoting would be more sensible, then you can see each quote and who said it, if it's all necessary to have all relevant posts available in one post.

Multiquoting is an option we were trying before nesting was enabled but one problem is that multiquotes seem to appear in random order. If they're not chronological it's impossible to figure out who was responding to what.

I believe they appear in the order that you click on them. Or, if you know the sequence you can always highlight the whole quote, cut it and paste it where you think it should go. I know it may be a bit of work, but I'm sure we can't get the computer to do everything for us just the way we want it.

Seems to me that's why nesting was invented. By Mike Nesmith I believe.

There wuz rumors going around that the site had done something to control the nesting but I've still seen up to seven levels today (which isn't bad). Or perhaps they didn't and posters are getting a handle on Responsible Nesting (RN). :dunno:

[

Liberalism vs America

I just do what I can do and if it messes up, I fix it. The preview window is farther away now so it's all the more reason for me to use the editing function even more.

The reply text box is a bit problematic with my phone use for the same reason.

Captain Obvious sez:
uh - it's there on the screen. That means I don't have to lift off from the mouse and go hunting around for a "home" or "page up" key, which is buried above a number pad in a place I rarely ever go and never without interrupting what I'm doing, spending several seconds hunting around and maybe having to turn a light on just to see where it is.

I'm used to scrolling with the mouse wheel for that purpose but since they got the jumper to show up in the frame I find it's handy, and quicker than scrolling, to zip up on a long page. And it would be just as handy to have its counterpart to zip back down.

I told C_K I really didn't care but now that it's there I find it handy. Sorry if that's too unicorns and rainbows for your sad little contrarian world.

Ever here of touch typing? I don't have to look for the Home key because I use it all the time, and know exactly where it is.

I use the keyboard to navigate all the time. I can scroll up, down, left, right, back, and forward on a website, all without using the mouse. I learned to do that when I started playing games, keyboards are faster than the mouse, and even faster than a game controller. If you prefer using slow methods that are most people gave up with when they moved to the 21st century, feel free.

How the hell can members hide their profile page? I can see no allowing visitors to see certain things, or limiting visitor messages to friends, but blocking the whole f'ing page? Ridiculous. Christ this is crap!

Why don't you just change the name of the place to fuckthelongtimemembers.com?

Captain Obvious sez:

Ever here of touch typing? I don't have to look for the Home key because I use it all the time, and know exactly where it is.

I use the keyboard to navigate all the time. I can scroll up, down, left, right, back, and forward on a website, all without using the mouse. I learned to do that when I started playing games, keyboards are faster than the mouse, and even faster than a game controller. If you prefer using slow methods that are most people gave up with when they moved to the 21st century, feel free.

Can you link me to where the site declared it's all about you and how you use your keyboard? I must have been out that day.

TIA.

And no I never heard of "touch typing". I'm pretty sure it's impossible to type on a keyboard without touching it so that would be redundant. I learned to type in the '60s and I'm screamingly fast at it. That's why I don't want to interrupt the flow to go look for some obscure key living up there in the keyboard equivalent of the Faeroe Islands.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but the silver/gold membership thread does not allow replies: I am about to (fixin to) quit mooching and buy the membership. I don't use PayPal so will be writing a check.

Do I have to remember to renew or will I get a notification?

Will it confuse you if I opt for gold membership but also pay for a silver for my use of USMB last year?

Is it safe to assume you won't be giving my details to my internet foes (if I ever get any)?

Thank you.

Also, anyone know how to like/dislike agree/disagree with tapatalk? I tested the thumbs up button but it is only for like or agree (forget which one). I looked but can't find the other options. Thank you.

just click on the title ....

That takes you to the first unread post.

that worked originally - most obviously a new bug.

* any thoughts on adding PREVIEW to initial post page ?

FWIW, Xenforo loads quick because it doesn't have features like PREVIEW. From what I've read of that particular feature, it can be a little heavy on the resources for the benefit it provides (primarily for large boards, not so much on small ones).

Slightly off topic, but the silver/gold membership thread does not allow replies: I am about to (fixin to) quit mooching and buy the membership. I don't use PayPal so will be writing a check.

Do I have to remember to renew or will I get a notification?

Will it confuse you if I opt for gold membership but also pay for a silver for my use of USMB last year?

Is it safe to assume you won't be giving my details to my internet foes (if I ever get any)?

Thank you.
Hi @Tresha91203 ,

I'm not really sure if the software sends a notification that your SM is about to expire so I'd recommend remembering. Worst case scenario you expire for a few days before we receive your next check/money order.

Write Gold Membership/Username/Forum on the check (or piece of paper) and that will square everything away. If you add extra (not necessary) it will not confuse us as long as those 3 things are on the check/paper.

We don't ever give out anyone's personal info. All your info is very secure with us. If you need any more info please feel free to start a private conversation with me.

Re nested quotes. We get alerts every time someone quotes us. How about if that was limited to first generation quotes?
I'm getting alerts that people quoted me when my post is buried 5 or 6 deep and not relevant to the tack the thread has taken since.

Forum List

Back