Ohio's Issue 1 Soundly Rejected By Voters In Major Win For Abortion Rights

On the face of it, one would believe that Ohio Republicans were trying to subvert the rights of the people by stripping them of their ability to create amendments. But this could be a blessing in disguise. Even though an amendment that could enshrine abortion into the state’s constitution would only pass by a simple majority, the Republicans could also submit their own amendment next year banning abortions entirely.

And it would only need 51% to pass.
Might not be a good idea, unless numbers have changed drastically.
1691545546179.png

This is not good for repubs. They tried to move the goal post and they lost.
From back in July...

Abortion ( healthcare ) is the number one issue in politics. Not guns. Not immigration. Not woke. Not voter fraud. Not taxes. Not LGBTQ.
Which is why we need to raise the voting age.

Remember why they lowered it. Men and women were dying in America's wars that weren't able to vote. I believe that takes priority over some kind of ageist agenda. Intelligence is not related to age, these kids are just smart and they know if they're not in control it means someone else is and that's never good

Who is this "We" Kimosabe. "We" like you and me (because it ain't) or "WEE" like you pissed in your pants?

If you are old enough to serve your country (Age 18) then you are old enough to vote. Americans in overwhelming numbers support a Woman's Right To Choose. You just want to deny that and it ain't working.

No, but on gun ownership that would be a very good idea. Hormone levels usually drop significantly when young men turn 21.

Young people are obsessed with sex?

Thanks Captain Obvious.

On the face of it, one would believe that Ohio Republicans were trying to subvert the rights of the people by stripping them of their ability to create amendments. But this could be a blessing in disguise. Even though an amendment that could enshrine abortion into the state’s constitution would only pass by a simple majority, the Republicans could also submit their own amendment next year banning abortions entirely.

And it would only need 51% to pass.
And it will fail miserably

Given what a disaster Biden turned out to be, I see those number changing dramatically by 2024. That last one's liable to bite ya'll on the ass: Number of Unaffiliated Registered Voters: 6,196,547
Not likely. They are not committed and don't forget, the libertarians never saw a Republican or Democrat power grab, via government regulation, that they liked.

Was a rather crushing defeat. I didn't bother voting either way but probably would have leaned towards "Yes." Not really anything to do with abortion, per se, just think the harder it is to amend the constitution is probably for the better.

Ohio's electorate just made it harder for politicians to amend the constitution.
Was definitely a questionable tactic: Resorting to the exact process it would end up making more difficult, not to mention calling an August election after banning August elections.

From back in July...

Like I said...the only way the repub party is going to stay viable is if they can make 40% the majority...or move the goal post each time they rule is in danger. This does not bode well for repubs in the crucial swing state of Florida. Could the Dobbs decision quicken the end of the repub party?

The repubs and their fight against abortion is like the coyote catching the road runner. Now what?

Forum List

Back