Oregon's Freak-Out Over Pumping Your Own Gas

oregon.jpg

Oh yea! I was in Oregon a few years ago and when I pulled into a gas station I proceeded to get out of the car to pump my gas. The attendant looked at me like I was crazy. I had no idea all the stations were full service.
Gas prices must be at least $.50-$.75 per gallon more than in self service states, correct?

Not at all. I don't remember how Oregon was but New Jersey -- the other state that doesn't have self-service -- has consistently cheaper gas than its neighboring states. Already posted this too.

Seeing the headline I thought I had traveled back to the early 70's living in Ohio. Not the freaking out part but reading that they're just getting with the program. I had just started driving back in Ohio when the first Arab oil embargo prompted self-serve gas pumps to somewhat contain gas prices. About the same time Ohio passed the radicle rule allowing right turn on red light which I first witness on a family trip to California in '69.

Anyways, I found the article as one of those that folks may say they don't know whether to laugh or cry.

“Many people are not capable of knowing how to pump gas and the hazards of not doing it correctly. Besides I don't want to go to work smelling of gas when I get it on my hands or clothes. I agree Very bad idea.”

“I don't even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian.....I say NO THANKS! I don't want to smell like gasoline!”

“I've lived in this state all my life and I REFUSE to pump my own gas. I had to do it once in California while visiting my brother and almost died doing it. This a service only qualified people should perform. I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas. I can't even”

Oregon's Freak-Out Over Pumping Your Own Gas Shows Why Many Dumb Regulations Still Exist
Must be your first visit to Oregon.

If you go there you will quickly find it is illegal to pump your own gas there. You must wait for the attendant.

The other 49 states and DC got rid of this rule back in the 1960's.

Seeing the headline I thought I had traveled back to the early 70's living in Ohio. Not the freaking out part but reading that they're just getting with the program. I had just started driving back in Ohio when the first Arab oil embargo prompted self-serve gas pumps to somewhat contain gas prices. About the same time Ohio passed the radicle rule allowing right turn on red light which I first witness on a family trip to California in '69.

Anyways, I found the article as one of those that folks may say they don't know whether to laugh or cry.

“Many people are not capable of knowing how to pump gas and the hazards of not doing it correctly. Besides I don't want to go to work smelling of gas when I get it on my hands or clothes. I agree Very bad idea.”

“I don't even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian.....I say NO THANKS! I don't want to smell like gasoline!”

“I've lived in this state all my life and I REFUSE to pump my own gas. I had to do it once in California while visiting my brother and almost died doing it. This a service only qualified people should perform. I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas. I can't even”

Oregon's Freak-Out Over Pumping Your Own Gas Shows Why Many Dumb Regulations Still Exist

If you go there you will quickly find it is illegal to pump your own gas there. You must wait for the attendant.

Nope. Same is true in New Jersey.

Third time posting this too. Do I hear four?

Can't pump their own gas. Don't know how to drive a stick. Have no clue what a phone booth is.

Oy

Oh, and the people in drive thrus have no clue how to give back change and rely on the machine to tell them how much to return.

What else am I forgetting?

Nope. Same is true in New Jersey.

Third time posting this too. Do I hear four?

No kidding pogo it's like some conservatives are as stupid as democrats ...

It's been common knowledge for years the only two states left is new jersey and Oregon.

I'm here in Oregon. No one I know is "freaking out".

Here's the deal, the self-serve only applies to counties that have a population of 40,000 or less.

Most of the population of Oregon will NOT have self-serve in their area.
thats just mind boggling. i've not seen a full service station in decades.

Here's the deal, the self-serve only applies to counties that have a population of 40,000 or less.

It is just economics. For one reason or another the people in this area have grown acustom to and appreciate a service and are willing to pay for it,

It is just economics. For one reason or another the people in this area have grown acustom to and appreciate a service and are willing to pay for it,
no. it was law.

The original ban on self-service gasoline was passed in 1951 in Oregon. ... New Jersey is the only other state that places restrictions on self-service gasoline. The state's law passed in 1949 and bans all customers from pumping gas at any time.

At some stations, you will see an island with a sign that says "Full Service" and next to it will be an island that says "Mini Service". In the mini service, they still have to pump the gas for you of course, but they won't be washing your windshield.

Forum List

Back