O'Reilly Backs Electric Cars. What An Idiot

I honestly don't understand the staunch opposition to electric vehicles I'm seeing here, masquerading as some kind of scientifically based pessimistic certainty. Do any of you have a clue as to the mileage range of the first internal combustion automobiles? Electric automobiles are in their infancy, and already they're competing with centuries old, mature technology in all facets of function and performance. Is the electric vehicle ready to fully displace the combustion engine? Hell no. But it's going to happen eventually, whether any of you like it or not.

The concern isn't over the vehicles, the concern is that once these things get even close to viable for a select group of tasks groups are going to push for all sorts of governmental disincentives towards ICB vehicles in the name of saving "Gaia." Of course the vehicles would be a step down from ICB's or even hybrids for certain tasks, but our usual progressive environmental buddies will not be dissuaded by that.

No offense, but that seems like about the worst reason to oppose technological progress that I've ever heard.

Who's opposing the progress? I'm fine if some upper middle class family can afford one as a 2nd car for commuting to and from work. What I worry about is meddling environmental busybodies calling for the day of ICB to be over, and if you want one because you can 1) only afford 1 car or 2) have a long commute, well then shucks, you COULD use an electric, but you are some stubborn knuckle dragger, and you get to pay extra for the "privilege" of driving around one of those pollution machines.

To me they will not be viable ICE replacements until they can be charged as easily as filling up a tank of gas. That's a technological challenge, not a deal breaker.

The concern isn't over the vehicles, the concern is that once these things get even close to viable for a select group of tasks groups are going to push for all sorts of governmental disincentives towards ICB vehicles in the name of saving "Gaia." Of course the vehicles would be a step down from ICB's or even hybrids for certain tasks, but our usual progressive environmental buddies will not be dissuaded by that.

No offense, but that seems like about the worst reason to oppose technological progress that I've ever heard.

Maybe if you researched electric cars you would find they are as old if not older than Gasoline powered cars.

I think it would be safe to say, 1884 is when the first electric car hit the streets. So the Electric motor that powers electric cars is a mature technology.

Battery technology is not mature, its in its infancy? Seems like duracel has been advertising advancements for decades, and correct me if I am wrong but batteries proceed gasoline engines by an easy 100 years, give or take a decade.

Electric motor and Battery technology is mature, not new.

That's like saying nothing new came out of the Manhattan Project, because bombs had been around for hundreds of years.

Electric motor and Battery technology is mature, not new.
But not mature enough to replace gas engines in autos. I'll be rooting for it and let a lot of other people buy them first to iron out the kinks and lower the price. My first one will probably be used.

That sucks in any car.

Difference being stuck with no heat you freeze to death.

yea, and you freeze to death if youre in a car and run outta gas too

that's why it sucks in any car

You can run your car at idle for hours with the heater on. My mom had to do it once. She was stuck in a blizzard for 24 hrs til help arrived.

She would run the engine for a few mins till she heated up and shut it off. She still had gas when the tow-truck arrived.

I honestly don't understand the staunch opposition to electric vehicles I'm seeing here, masquerading as some kind of scientifically based pessimistic certainty. Do any of you have a clue as to the mileage range of the first internal combustion automobiles? Electric automobiles are in their infancy, and already they're competing with centuries old, mature technology in all facets of function and performance. Is the electric vehicle ready to fully displace the combustion engine? Hell no. But it's going to happen eventually, whether any of you like it or not.

My comment was that considering the extremely cold Winter we just had O'Reilly didn't take everything into account.

You guys are usually hammering him. Now you want to tongue his ballsack.

Last night I was watching Bill O'Reilly for the first time in a week and one of the first topics of discussion was his support of electric cars. The Tesla was the car he focused on the most.

He said it's all good because an electric car doesn't pollute. Well, not immediately, but he's ignoring a glaring fact about electric cars.

We just went through one of the coldest Winters in the last 20 years. How does he expect a car that runs on a battery to run when the ambient temperature drops below 20 degrees. How does this car provide heat for the occupants and not die in the middle of a trip to work?

Anyone who knows about batteries knows that they become unable to produce much of a charge in extremely cold weather. Turn on the heater and a car that has a max range of 50 miles dies at 15 or 20 miles. Next thing you know we have thousands of people stranded in a cold car in a blizzard.

O'Reilly is such an idiot.

He isn't as much an idiot as an anchor pandering to his growing leftist audience. He is trying to keep all sides of the political spectrum happy, and he is getting tired of it all, and will fail, as he isn't really speaking his truth. He is acting. That is unlike the O`Reilly of the past:

You can never be happy and dress yourself solely in the glass of
other men's approval.------Nicholas Flood Davis5

Affordability is the key. Make it affordable for everyone.

Problem being the left always dreams up these expensive solutions and mandates them. The hardship they generate is astronomical. Healthcare is 3 times more expensive than last year. Food prices are rising at an alarming rate and now we have to pay 3 times as much for a car that has to be parked in the garage 3-5 months out of the year, has a battery-pack made in China that costs $10k to replace, and we're assholes for pointing this out.

Last edited:

Problem being the left always dreams up these expensive solutions and mandates them. The hardship they generate is astronomical. Healthcare is 3 times more expensive than last year. Food prices are rising at an alarming rate and now we have to pay 3 times as much for a car that has to be parked in the garage 3-5 months out of the year, has a battery-pack made in China that costs $10k to replace, and we're asshiles for pointing this out.

you made all of this up

first of all, we had sub zero temps for about 2 weeks out of the entire year when all the days are compiled together (I live in NY)

secondly, sub zero temps don't cease the functionality of the car.

it still gets the average American's day of driving done with 200% of those miles left to spare, and that's WITH the heat having to be on full blast and at the WORST #'s ppl are trying to report.

so spare the melodrama about how it cant be driven in the winter. for 99% of the country, it can.

the price and having to charge a fucking car, and people who drive way above the miles an average citizens drive............are the only draw backs

Problem being the left always dreams up these expensive solutions and mandates them. The hardship they generate is astronomical. Healthcare is 3 times more expensive than last year. Food prices are rising at an alarming rate and now we have to pay 3 times as much for a car that has to be parked in the garage 3-5 months out of the year, has a battery-pack made in China that costs $10k to replace, and we're asshiles for pointing this out.

And the buyers who are paid an incentive bonus of taxpayer's money starting at 7500kto 10500k just to purchase one. The rich can afford to do that, after all, it would be their second, third, fourth or more, car. Shocking...the way the new-to-power will abuse other people's money. :eek:

Last night I was watching Bill O'Reilly for the first time in a week and one of the first topics of discussion was his support of electric cars. The Tesla was the car he focused on the most.

He said it's all good because an electric car doesn't pollute. Well, not immediately, but he's ignoring a glaring fact about electric cars.

We just went through one of the coldest Winters in the last 20 years. How does he expect a car that runs on a battery to run when the ambient temperature drops below 20 degrees. How does this car provide heat for the occupants and not die in the middle of a trip to work?

Anyone who knows about batteries knows that they become unable to produce much of a charge in extremely cold weather. Turn on the heater and a car that has a max range of 50 miles dies at 15 or 20 miles. Next thing you know we have thousands of people stranded in a cold car in a blizzard.

The guy O'Reilly was talking to was making a point about the government loaning money to Tesla. O'Reilly ignored the crux of what Eric(?) was making. Bill stated that Tesla paid it back, but Eric(?) was saying that the government could have as easily lost tax payers money like it did with Solyndra, and it wasn't up to the government to loan money on speculation like that.

Last edited:
Then there's the normal weight-load considerations.

2-5 family members that weigh 200plus pounds pulling a 1200lb Bass boat. Forget about going up steep hills. Might as well get out and push.

you made all of this up

first of all, we had sub zero temps for about 2 weeks out of the entire year when all the days are compiled together (I live in NY)

secondly, sub zero temps don't cease the functionality of the car.

it still gets the average American's day of driving done with 200% of those miles left to spare, and that's WITH the heat having to be on full blast and at the WORST #'s ppl are trying to report.

so spare the melodrama about how it cant be driven in the winter. for 99% of the country, it can.

the price and having to charge a fucking car, and people who drive way above the miles an average citizens drive............are the only draw backs

You just made that up.

My comment was that considering the extremely cold Winter we just had O'Reilly didn't take everything into account.

I didn't even mention the guy.

But it's pretty obvious that you consider this issue, like every other issue, through partisan shaded, narrow lenses. Good for you Jack. :thup:

But it's pretty obvious that you consider this issue, like every other issue, through partisan shaded, narrow lenses. Good for you Jack. :thup:

Actually I'm trying to account for every possibility, not the perfect one.

Your lens is quite narrow compared to mine.

Elio Motors: Ultra High Mileage Vehicle

A former GM guy started his own company selling cars for 6800 built using US labor and parts, where the design (with only 1 back wheel and only holding 2 passengers as a work car or for running short errands) allows the gas mileage to be super efficient (84 MPG).

Since drivers would only fill their tanks once a month, the company combines car payments with the cost of filling up (if you buy 20.00 of gas, the monthly payment is added to that to make it 60.00 where 40.00 goes toward the car)

I am hoping the warranty service they offer also means creating more jobs in different cities, as the company had local economy in mind when they set up their production.

I hope this promotes more efficient trends not only with cars, but business in general.

Yeah, you support both kinds of engines, gasoline and diesel.

Yeah, you support both kinds of engines, gasoline and diesel.

I support what works, not what sounds good on paper.

If they can make a affordable electric car that does the same thing a gas car can do, why not.

You said yourself we're not there yet, and we don't need some prick in the White House trying to rig the system by driving up fossil fuel costs making electric cars more viable.

I don't see the practicality of electric vehicles for mass use. It's charged, meaning that the electricity has to come from some place, such as a power company. It might be okay for someone with a house and garage but not an apartment dweller with no off street parking. Or even someone that has to park in a parking structure. It's impossible for any long distance driving.

It's still a vanity accessory and will be for many years.

I don't see the practicality of electric vehicles for mass use. It's charged, meaning that the electricity has to come from some place, such as a power company. It might be okay for someone with a house and garage but not an apartment dweller with no off street parking. Or even someone that has to park in a parking structure. It's impossible for any long distance driving.

It's still a vanity accessory and will be for many years.

People said the same thing about the television.

Forum List

Back