O'Reilly Backs Electric Cars. What An Idiot

Electric cars will continue to remain a commuter/2nd car niche until they find a way of charging a spent battery in less than 15 minutes.

or unless they install an on board power plant

personally i like the hydrogen fuel cell electric car

they are in test mode currently

nice looking cars too

An Average American drives 32.877 miles per day.

A fully charged Tesla Battery runs for 300 miles, or 912% higher than the average person is driving.

When the heat is on full blast, it will drop the battery's life by 25 miles over the 300 mile life, or 275 miles, or 836.45% more than an Average Citizen drives.

Hopefully that addresses your concerns why O'Reilly would endorse such a car.

Nope. I don't believe it.

I noticed you didn't bother to mention ambient temperature, or sub-zero temperatures in the equation, or provide a link.

winter cold weather takes its toll

on performance

Winter chills limit range of the Tesla Model S electric car

In this article, the range still exceeds an average American's daily driving by:

a fuck ton*

*=(yes, fuck ton is a scientific term)

here's a tip - if youre a long range driver on a daily, don't buy one.

if youre an average American, it well surpasses your needs

Electric cars will continue to remain a commuter/2nd car niche until they find a way of charging a spent battery in less than 15 minutes.

nice looking cars too

They have those, they are called hybrids.

The issue with hydrogen fuel cell cars is the easiest way to make hydrogen is still fossil fuels, so its not much of an "improvement" in the minds of environmentalists.

nice looking cars too

The issue with hydrogen fuel cell cars is the easiest way to make hydrogen is still fossil fuels, so its not much of an "improvement" in the minds of environmentalists.

yes the real breakthrough is when we can easily store and release hydrogen cheaply

Nope. I don't believe it.

I noticed you didn't bother to mention ambient temperature, or sub-zero temperatures in the equation, or provide a link.

on performance

In this article, the range still exceeds an average American's daily driving by:

a fuck ton*

Just hope you don't get caught in a traffic-jam during a blizzard.

nice looking cars too

yes the real breakthrough is when we can easily store and release hydrogen cheaply

Its waiting for what everyone is waiting for. Fusion power. With fusion hydrolysis becomes far more economical as a source of hydrogen.

This winter Model S took a trip to Baudette, Minnesota, one of the coldest places in the continental United States. Tesla engineers worked for days in sub-zero weather in order to put Model S through a rigorous set of demanding winter driving tests.

"The Automotive Enviro Testing facility offered us 820 acres of snow and ice and 19 different courses of varied winter terrain. This allowed us to fully evaluate Model S vehicle dynamics, durability, range and performance under the most extreme conditions. After days of rigorous testing, we left more confident than ever that Model S will set the standard for premium performance—no matter what's in the forecast."

Of course, its well known that electric vehicles often perform admirably in the snow and that cold temperatures barely affect the overall performance of battery-only machines. But what's unknown at this point is whether or not the Model S' range will drop off dramatically when driven by owners with the heat on full blast in real-world conditions.

Paragraph 2 and the ending sentence of paragraph three don't seem compatible, whoever wrote this is a dipshit.

There are hours of forum posts of "real world" drivers conveying their experiences. Happy reading, if you even cared to begin with.

So you agree with it up until it tells you something you don't like.

That's called cherry-picking the details.

on performance

a fuck ton*

Anyone getting caught in a traffic jam in a blizzard is in trouble. It's also rare for the gifted, who can access the weather report :lol:

Gas tanks are not unlimited.

Same as electric car batteries. And the highest number - which was speculation at this point - was a 45% reduction in mileage whereas the battery life is 900% an average day's driving for an average American.

numbers matter.

This winter Model S took a trip to Baudette, Minnesota, one of the coldest places in the continental United States. Tesla engineers worked for days in sub-zero weather in order to put Model S through a rigorous set of demanding winter driving tests.

"The Automotive Enviro Testing facility offered us 820 acres of snow and ice and 19 different courses of varied winter terrain. This allowed us to fully evaluate Model S vehicle dynamics, durability, range and performance under the most extreme conditions. After days of rigorous testing, we left more confident than ever that Model S will set the standard for premium performance—no matter what's in the forecast."

Of course, its well known that electric vehicles often perform admirably in the snow and that cold temperatures barely affect the overall performance of battery-only machines. But what's unknown at this point is whether or not the Model S' range will drop off dramatically when driven by owners with the heat on full blast in real-world conditions.

Paragraph 2 and the ending sentence of paragraph three don't seem compatible, whoever wrote this is a dipshit.

There are hours of forum posts of "real world" drivers conveying their experiences. Happy reading, if you even cared to begin with.

details?

highest number reported is that sub zero temps will have a 45% impact.

45% * 300 (or 265 conservatively we will use) is 119.25

119.25 miles is 305% more miles than the average person needs to go.

sub zero temperatures are also rare.

math works.

details?

math works.

Is that city driving or highway?

Did they take into account bumper to bumper traffic?

Btw, I can get 360mi on a full tank. Anything less than that is poor performance.

on performance

a fuck ton*

That sucks in any car.

details?

math works.

The 119.25 is a theoretical maximum. Anything else used in the vehicle will lower those values.

Headlights, any HVAC, internal/external lights, any automatic items in the car (seats, locks, etc).

You have to treat an electric car like a submarine in those old WWII movies. "hours of charge" is just a unit of measure, and any activity uses up "hours" (in the case of cars "miles" above and beyond time/distance traveled.

a fuck ton*

That sucks in any car.

Difference being stuck with no heat you freeze to death.

I honestly don't understand the staunch opposition to electric vehicles I'm seeing here, masquerading as some kind of scientifically based pessimistic certainty. Do any of you have a clue as to the mileage range of the first internal combustion automobiles? Electric automobiles are in their infancy, and already they're competing with centuries old, mature technology in all facets of function and performance. Is the electric vehicle ready to fully displace the combustion engine? Hell no. But it's going to happen eventually, whether any of you like it or not.

I honestly don't understand the staunch opposition to electric vehicles I'm seeing here, masquerading as some kind of scientifically based pessimistic certainty. Do any of you have a clue as to the mileage range of the first internal combustion automobiles? Electric automobiles are in their infancy, and already they're competing with centuries old, mature technology in all facets of function and performance. Is the electric vehicle ready to fully displace the combustion engine? Hell no. But it's going to happen eventually, whether any of you like it or not.

The concern isn't over the vehicles, the concern is that once these things get even close to viable for a select group of tasks groups are going to push for all sorts of governmental disincentives towards ICB vehicles in the name of saving "Gaia." Of course the vehicles would be a step down from ICB's or even hybrids for certain tasks, but our usual progressive environmental buddies will not be dissuaded by that.

The concern isn't over the vehicles, the concern is that once these things get even close to viable for a select group of tasks groups are going to push for all sorts of governmental disincentives towards ICB vehicles in the name of saving "Gaia." Of course the vehicles would be a step down from ICB's or even hybrids for certain tasks, but our usual progressive environmental buddies will not be dissuaded by that.

No offense, but that seems like about the worst reason to oppose technological progress that I've ever heard.

No offense, but that seems like about the worst reason to oppose technological progress that I've ever heard.

Maybe if you researched electric cars you would find they are as old if not older than Gasoline powered cars.

I think it would be safe to say, 1884 is when the first electric car hit the streets. So the Electric motor that powers electric cars is a mature technology.

Battery technology is not mature, its in its infancy? Seems like duracel has been advertising advancements for decades, and correct me if I am wrong but batteries proceed gasoline engines by an easy 100 years, give or take a decade.

Electric motor and Battery technology is mature, not new.

Forum List

Back