Our problem is how we're raising our kids

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
We can dance around this subject and pretend all sorts of things are REALLY the problem but I think what it all ultimately boils down to is how we're raising our children. In order to examine the problem we have to go back in time.

Several generations ago, we fought and won a world war. Those who returned, settled down and started building their families. Children were raised to respect their elders. There were expectations and consequences if those expectations weren't met. There were daily responsibilities. Children were expected to do their homework and excel in education. They were also expected to pull their own weight in the household. As most of their fathers were in the military at some point, they were expected to follow the rules and obey the laws. Any stepping out of line was met with disciplinary action and nipped in the bud.

That generation grew up and came into their own in the 1960s, where they began to raise their children. They rebelled against the harsh discipline and bucked the authority of their parents by taking a more relaxed view on their parenting role. Dr. Benjamin Spock who had released largely ignored and panned books on parenting in the late 40s became popularized in the radical 60s. It became the "in thing" to not punish your children by spanking. As we rolled into the free-love 70s, parents became "friends" with their children instead of parenting.

That generation grew up with virtually no discipline, at least not the kind their grandparents knew. They began to raise their children in much the way they were raised but with even more liberation. We're now into the 90s and children are hardly ever disciplined and when they are, cries of "child abuse" abound. Laws are passed which effectively prohibit corporal punishment by authority figures in schools and eventually even parents themselves. Yet another generation grows up with this being the "norm" and begin to raise their families in the same manner. Those children are coming of age today and we're seeing the results of several generations with no discipline in upbringing. No expectations. No responsibilities.

Furthermore, the problems are exponentially worse in black families because of a 75% illegitimacy rate. Black children are more likely raised in homes without a father figure. By the time the black male reaches age 13~14, they are essentially the authority figure in their household. Their mothers can't handle them anymore, if they ever could. And anyone who mentions this crisis is decried as "racist" and hooted down by the liberal left.

The generation who knew how to raise children to be upstanding citizens are dying off. What we are left with is a society that is totally clueless about personal responsibility because this was never instilled in them as children. How can we turn this around? I haven't got a clue. It seems hopeless to me at this point. Each generation seems to get further and further away from the principles of decency and the parental diligence of raising their kids properly.

Yes, gone are the glory days when children were seen and not heard, worked their spare time away and beaten by the rod for any reason one could imagine...Ah, such fond childhood memories...

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
I agree that we're raising children without the ability to be civilized and the motivation to better themselves. That isn't good for America. We may disagree on matters of unions and the society our great grand parents live by but we can agree that this trend isn't good.

I agree that we're raising children without the ability to be civilized and the motivation to better themselves. That isn't good for America. We may disagree on matters of unions and the society our great grand parents live by but we can agree that this trend isn't good.

Oh Gawd...........the expert on everything and no real responsibilities in life.

Yep......we're fucked folks..........:2up:

Oh Gawd...........the expert on everything and no real responsibilities in life.

Yep......we're fucked folks..........:2up:

Grow up

Yes, gone are the glory days when children were seen and not heard, worked their spare time away and beaten by the rod for any reason one could imagine...Ah, such fond childhood memories...
Yes, now we have children raising their parents. How's that working out??? :dunno:
Its a challenge. I know this from personal experience and it all started years ago thanks to my dad. Because of what he chooses to do with his time, I don't have anything more to do with him.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

The strangest thing I heard from a friend in his 30's who has kids in preschool is that they don't keep score in the kids' sports anymore they just play for fun.

When I was a kid we always kept score.

I was paddled in school and at home but my kids weren't. That's probably why things have gone wrong.

Every generation has a complaint.

People in the 1920s complained about the youth because they were going to clubs and dancing the charleston and women were wearing short hair cuts and knee length skirts.

In the 60's old geezers complained about youth having sex and smoking weed.

In the 80s and 90s they complained about gen x being

Now folks are complaining about discipline.

Older generations will never be satisfied with younger ones.

The strangest thing I heard from a friend in his 30's who has kids in preschool is that they don't keep score in the kids' sports anymore they just play for fun.

When I was a kid we always kept score.

I think that rule is more in place for parry than students. Parents get carried away when kids play a sport.

Yeah it was totally like that in your lifetime

My pet peeve is that schools grade on a curve more than ever and the idiot who gets a D because he didn't study can say he's a B student while the kid who studied and does well is the villain for ruining the curve. Not to mention how much the effort of the good student is cheapened by giving people who didn't study a pass

People in the 1920s complained about the youth because they were going to clubs and dancing the charleston and women were wearing short hair cuts and knee length skirts.

You couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside. It isn't just a matter of complaining about the newest generation, there is a marked lack of discipline, self reliance and self control these days. Many kids are not taught the work ethic or even right or wrong. Moral relativity has taken over moral character. Independence has given way to dependence and group think.

I'll trot out the post election snowflake meltdown as exhibit A. Exhibit B is college safe spaces. Previous generations would be shocked, horrified or greatly amused at the necessity of finding a place where disagreeable thought was not allowed.

..... Children were raised to respect their elders. There were expectations and consequences if those expectations weren't met. There were daily responsibilities. Children were expected to do their homework and excel in education. They were also expected to pull their own weight in the household......

Millions and millions and millions of children are still raised this way today.

..... Children were raised to respect their elders. There were expectations and consequences if those expectations weren't met. There were daily responsibilities. Children were expected to do their homework and excel in education. They were also expected to pull their own weight in the household......

Yes, I didn't mean to sound like I was generalizing. I understand this, I have some nieces and nephews who are outstanding young people who were raised right, my children were raised right, and I'm sure there are plenty who still are.

The point of the OP is that this is a growing trend that continues to get worse with each generation. Now, my kids and myself, didn't have the amount of responsibility in the home as my parents and grandparents. My dad was in the field picking cotton when he was 8 years old. Some of the stuff they had to endure back then would certainly qualify as child abuse today.

My dad wore my ass out with a belt about once a week for something but I could probably count on one hand the times I had to spank my children. Now, they're not perfect, I wasn't perfect and my dad wasn't perfect... but we all learned to be respectful and decent people.

That's true but it's also true that many more aren't. I have teacher friends that tell me it's very difficult these days, they are glorified baby sitters and if they are "too harsh" they can be called to the carpet because the parents are the real problem.

You couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside. It isn't just a matter of complaining about the newest generation, there is a marked lack of discipline, self reliance and self control these days. Many kids are not taught the work ethic or even right or wrong. Moral relativity has taken over moral character. Independence has given way to dependence and group think.

I'll trot out the post election snowflake meltdown as exhibit A. Exhibit B is college safe spaces. Previous generations would be shocked, horrified or greatly amused at the necessity of finding a place where disagreeable thought was not allowed.

Kids do have a work ethic. I am 28 years old. Everyone my age has a job working full time. Of course there are some bums, but you'll find bums in every age group.

What does safe spaces have to do independence? Talking about your feelings is the right thing to do. Older generations winded up being drunks and druggies because they didn't talk about their issues.

It also goes back to who raise them? The good ole days like you admire generated a generation of youth that were rebellious because of their uber strict parenting. Baby boomers are closer to their kids than they were with their parents.

Kids today are fine. They are more well rounded, more in touch with their world, more involved with their communities and more empathetic toward those less fortunate.

Forum List

Back