Password managers?

ThisIsMe

Gold Member
Dec 16, 2017
Just curious if these things are safe. I was thinking about looking in to one so I donā€™t have to keep up with several different passwords, just let a password manager just come up with very strong passwords and that will make things easier , but Iā€™m hesitant because, if I understand it correctly, if someone finds out your password or hacks your computer or phone, they have all the passwords to every account.

Just wondering about peopleā€™s thoughts on these, are they safe and secure, do you have a recommendation for a good one, and how does it mesh between your phone and pc so that you can access the same sites and apps between your computer and your phone? Does the password manager have an app for your pc and your phone and it syncs the passwords between them somehow?

Curious on your thoughts.

Last edited:
Just curious if these things are safe. I was thinking about looking in to one so I donā€™t have to keep up with several different passwords, just let a password manager just come up with very strong passwords and that will make things easier , but Iā€™m hesitant because, if I understand it correctly, if someone finds out your password or hacks your computer or phone, they have all the passwords to every account.

Just wondering about peopleā€™s thoughts on these, are they safe and secure, do you have a recommendation for a good one, and how does it mesh between your phone and pc so that you can access the same sites and apps between your computer and your phone. Does the password manager have an app for your pc and your phone and it syncs the passwords between them somehow?

Curious on your thoughts.

I made a password manager out of a disc of cardboard paper. It creates all my passwords. I drew all the symbols around the edge. You stick a pin in the center and give it a spin. Whatever character it lands on, that is your next password character for as many characters as you want.

I made a password manager out of a disc of cardboard paper. It creates all my passwords. I drew all the symbols around the edge. You stick a pin in the center and give it a spin. Whatever character it lands on, that is your next password character for as many characters as you want.

I have no trouble making passwords, I was just wondering about the password managers that create them for you and store them so you donā€™t have to keep up with all of them

I have no trouble making passwords, I was just wondering about the password managers that create them for you and store them so you donā€™t have to keep up with all of them
I have Google's password manager and it does not create passwords for me. It stores them and has a entry point where only the manager, myself, has to use my code to enter it. Google says they can't enter it. LOL

I want secure passwords. Randomly generated passwords by myself are as secure as possible. What could be less secure than passwords generated on the net and stored there by some unknown third party??? How hard is it to keep passwords written down in a little book? C'mon.

I have Google's password manager and it does not create passwords for me. It stores them and has a entry point where only the manager, myself, has to use my code to enter it. Google says they can't enter it. LOL

Well, for example, apple keychain will suggest password for you or you can create them yourself. The passwords it creates are pretty long and has various numbers, letters and symbols, and it will store them for you. However, I just want to make sure, if they are secure, that I find a good one to use, and it works on pc and on my phone.

I want secure passwords. Randomly generated passwords by myself are as secure as possible. What could be less secure than passwords generated on the net and stored there by some unknown third party??? How hard is it to keep passwords written down in a little book? C'mon.

I have several accounts that I need to access during the week and if Iā€™m traveling, donā€™t want to have to carry my password list with me, which is why Iā€™m inquiring about a pw manager

I have several accounts that I need to access during the week and if Iā€™m traveling, donā€™t want to have to carry my password list with me, which is why Iā€™m inquiring about a pw manager

You create passwords using mnemonics. Mnemonics mean that they have some significance to you so that you can remember them by association relating their use to their need, so, they are not hard to recall. I used to memorize 100 different random numbers then recall any of them at will just by using mnemonics.

You create passwords using mnemonics. Mnemonics mean that they have some significance to you so that you can remember them by relating their use to their need, so, they are not hard to recall. I used to memorize 100 different random numbers then recall any of them at will just by using mnemonics.

I guess my memory isnā€™t that good to be able to remember 10 to 15 different passwords using 10 to 15 various numbers, letters, symbols, cases, etc..I guess I donā€™t have that ability. Lol

The computer does it for you. You aren't talking about PIN numbers, just passwords to access to sites to pay bills and get advise. All bets are off if you access sites that don't conform to normal society.

Well, for example, apple keychain will suggest password for you or you can create them yourself. The passwords it creates are pretty long and has various numbers, letters and symbols, and it will store them for you. However, I just want to make sure, if they are secure, that I find a good one to use, and it works on pc and on my phone.
I use phrases for all my passwords, and spell them with Upper and lower case letters, special characters and numbers and more than 10 -12 characters: Example: 1_Lik3_@ppl3s!_8

The password manager I use uses end-to-end AE5-GCM-256 authenticated encryption and also has dual-key encryption. These types of controls make it extremely challenging to gain access to data either in flight or at rest.

I guess my memory isnā€™t that good to be able to remember 10 to 15 different passwords using 10 to 15 various numbers, letters, symbols, cases, etc..I guess I donā€™t have that ability. Lol

You don't need a good memory. That is why you use mnemonics. With mnemonics, you remember by association. Say the 53rd number you want to memorize is 12,003, you simply create a picture in your mind, something that associates (reminds you of) the number 12,003 when you think of 53. Since it is something your mind naturally associates with 53, it is nothing you have to remember.

You should study that and practice it a bit. SIDE BENEFIT: it greatly improves your memory. It also eliminate the need to pay for 3rd party apps to do simple tasks for you.

I have zero experience with apple products since around 1984.

You don't need a good memory. That is why you use mnemonics. With mnemonics, you remember by association. Say the 53rd number you want to memorize is 12,003, you simply create a picture in your mind, something that associates (reminds you of) the number 12,003 when you think of 53. Since it is something your mind naturally associates with 53, it is nothing you have to remember.

You should study that and practice it a bit. SIDE BENEFIT: it greatly improves your memory. It also eliminate the need to pay for 3rd party apps to do simple tasks for you.
I was taught that in a Dale Carnegie course long long ago.

I use phrases for all my passwords, and spell them with Upper and lower case letters, special characters and numbers and more than 10 -12 characters: Example: 1_Lik3_@ppl3s!_8

The password manager I use uses end-to-end AE5-GCM-256 authenticated encryption and also has dual-key encryption. These types of controls make it extremely challenging to gain access to data either in flight or at rest.
See, with apple keychain, and I assume other PW managers, it will make passwords like: s&QpI62$/7Hg/!8Sv@4/BA!&8

Things like that and it stores them so when you go to a site that requires a password (or an app) all you have to remember is a passkey.

So word associate, so for example you could think, as an example ā€œ birthday state age plus miles to workā€, and come up with, for example ā€œ10082024cA75ā€

Something like that ? Or is that but what it means?

Also, thatā€™s fine too but, if you have 15 different passwords you have to remember, how do you keep them stored in your head, especially if each of the passwords are 12 to 15 characters long and involve upper and lower case letters and such?

Something like that ? Or is that but what it means?
Also, thatā€™s fine too but, if you have 15 different passwords you have to remember, how do you keep them stored in your head, especially if each of the passwords are 12 to 15 characters long and involve upper and lower case letters and such?

Study a mnemonic system.

See, with apple keychain, and I assume other PW managers, it will make passwords like: s&QpI62$/7Hg/!8Sv@4/BA!&8

Things like that and it stores them so when you go to a site that requires a password (or an app) all you have to remember is a passkey.
Password creation is one aspect of security, along with the level of encryption used, the transport method to send and receive the password (in flight), how it is stored (at rest) and layered security with multiple keys (i.e. dual-key).

Does it require you to use the same pass key to save the password after creation? Like a master password or pin?

Password creation is one aspect of security, along with the level of encryption used, the transport method to send and receive the password (in flight), how it is stored (at rest) and layered security with multiple keys (i.e. dual-key).

Does it require you to use the same pass key to save the password after creation? Like a master password or pin?
Iā€™ve not used one yet so I donā€™t know. I never actually used the keychain but I can see what itā€™s trying to do when it suggests a password.

On apple, if you get a password box on screen, apple pops up a menu asking if you want to create your own password, or let apple keychain create it for you, the passwords look to be pretty strong but not knowing how secure it is, I never proceeded to let it do its thing. I just always told it that I wanted to create my own.

Forum List

Back