Philosophical Musings

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
It recently occurred to me that human generations are experiencing increasingly different conditions from those experienced by their parents. This not only points to a diminution of the relationship between generations, but also greater psychological challenges for those facing a continually changing brave new world.

I wonder what the future holds for our species?

It recently occurred to me that human generations are experiencing increasingly different conditions from those experienced by their parents. This not only points to a diminution of the relationship between generations, but also greater psychological challenges for those facing a continually changing brave new world.

I think we are going to have to address political diversty
and how to handle conflict resolution to make decisions
by consensus that equally protect, include and represent all views, beliefs and interests.

We cannot afford any more costs of crime, conflict or war.

So this generation adn the ones to follow will face how
to create a sustainable system of correction and preventative education
to break the cycles of poverty, abuse, oppression and sickness.

The solutions are out there, and we just have to put them together.
the main thing stopping us is our information is segregated politically
and religiously and we are not collaborating fully to organize resources
to solve problems in the most cost effective manners yet.

so that is the challenge facing us now, how to use our
abundant resources correctly to stop waste and abuse
and solv eproblems together instead of fighting for power.

Thanks for the response, but I was wondering about the psychological, rather than political, implications of dealing with a constantly changing environment. For most of human history, progress was incrementally built on the knowledge of previous generations. Now it is occurring with such speed that there appears to be less and less connection and relevance to what was experienced in the past. Will we be able to maintain any sense of continuity with our forebears, or will we become psychologically adrift and reliant on demagogic influence?

It recently occurred to me that human generations are experiencing increasingly different conditions from those experienced by their parents.

That has also occurred to every generation that came before you.

It recently occurred to me that human generations are experiencing increasingly different conditions from those experienced by their parents.

The question is: Are we on an asymptotic curve and, if so, what are its implications?

We are on the same "curve" we've always been on, and what you are feeling has been felt by those in every generation that came before yours just as it will be felt by every generation that follows.

I think you need to narrow the scope of your inquiry.

The question is: Are we on an asymptotic curve and, if so, what are its implications?

Asymptoting towards what exactly? What's the goal and why can't we ever actually reach it?

Thanks for the response, but I was wondering about the psychological, rather than political, implications of dealing with a constantly changing environment. For most of human history, progress was incrementally built on the knowledge of previous generations. Now it is occurring with such speed that there appears to be less and less connection and relevance to what was experienced in the past. Will we be able to maintain any sense of continuity with our forebears, or will we become psychologically adrift and reliant on demagogic influence?

I see it as the opposite.
With the internet, and organizing scholars in depts of universities and schools across the world that can share information,
we can more permanently document cultures and history from across the board.

So this way, we can assimilate the collective knowledge and appreciate the patterns of history and humanity.

I think we have greater access than before.

The problem is, right now, on the learning curve,
people are still abusing the internet and spreading garbage through the media.
We have more access to freedom and aren't using it to its fullest potential.

Once we master what all these wonderful resources can be used for,
we can create campus communities in every nation and district,
and share resources and information more effectively and sustainably.

That is where I believe this learning curve is heading.

I agree with you there is a sociological phenomena going on
where people are bombarded with information and media stimulation,
and not paying attention to the full history and knowledge we can amass with this technology.

Look at the people who are ahead of the curve,
and see the sustainable reforms and solutions they are developing.
That is what will spread through the academic, business and nonprofit communities
looking to serve the longer term goals of humanity.

The other people junking up the learning curve will follow
once the leaders get the systems set up where everyone
can access the education and training needed to use all this experience to maximum benefit.

Not everyone can see where the curve is converging to.

but if you look at who is working for such a future vision,
it is astounding what these people and groups are putting together.

it's all out there, and with the internet we can organize these
models and replicate them worldwide to create sustainable
structures around education and businesses developed locally in
every community for self reliant economy and growth.

It's great to live in these days with the technology
and just tragic to see the people still living in self-destructive
mode like teenagers who haven't figured out how to
deal with themselves yet. We have that going on,
but the adults and elders in society are the ones
trying to set up means for sustaining the household
while the teenagers among us have some growing up to do....

BTW jwoodie
one of my friends Tom Wayburn has some essays on sustainable
structures and reforms for the future of the planet.
I think he said he has posted them here Dematerialism and Energy June 2 2014
So there are experts in all fields networking on solutions and sharing over the internet.

I think it is the arc converging to Equal Justice and Peace for all humanity.
This occurs where people forgive and correct problems mutually by Restorative Justice
(instead of the historic trend of answering conflicts with retributive justice that kills humanity with wars)
So it breaks the cycle of poverty, sickness, oppression, abuse and suffering
and creates collaboration on sustainable solutions for lasting peace.

We forgive the past, but take the lessons learned to prevent and correct the same from repeating in the future, and invest restitution for debts and damages into rebuilding economies and communities together instead of destroying each other.

Asymptoting towards what exactly? What's the goal and why can't we ever actually reach it?

That is the question.

I disagree. Progress has always been based on a society - a nation adhering to biblical principles and living for God - obeying God. America was a blessed nation when she served God. Then psychology replaced the preachers of righteousness, the entire nation began to be sold the lie that something was wrong with them if they had a bout of depression - prescribe a pill, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, etc, are your eldery laughing too much? Too alert? Prescribe the such and such - active child? Just tell the parents they have ADD and put them on ridalyn and so on down the line it went - no one mentioned that there has never been a person cured by any psychology and that most of them if not all went into the profession because they were a walking basket case -themselves or practitioners of the occult - then those who rejected the counsel of God for the opinions and ideas of unregerated man began to lead the way ........and today? We see the results! Is the world a better place? No. It is worse. These same people put on these mind altering drugs are committing mass shootings - newtown, columbine, the cop in california that went on shooting spree - it is has spun out of control. Yes. Far worse. Why? You have put the fools in charge - the ones who say there is no God! Letting godless Marxist professors teach your children and paying these universities a fortune no less. Voting godless men into office and believing they would ever tell the truth or keep their word!

That is the problem and when the judgment of God falls on America and other places it will indeed cure much of it. Albeit too late for many.

Man is a communal animal and can't survive alone. Those communities started small but as technology developed (e.g., farming, animal domestication) they grew in size. The trend continues unabated and as technology such as socail media and language translation computers we will eventually become part of a global culture. There will still be local flavors but we'll come to identify ourselves as members of this global culture. I can see this happening in the next hundred years, maybe longer but it is inevitable and very positive. You can't fight a war with yourself.

There will be those few that just don't accept the change and it is they, like the Mormons a century ago or the Puritans before them that opt to leave. Those will be the groups that colonize Mars.

The trend continues unabated and as technology such as socail media and language translation computers we will eventually become part of a global culture. There will still be local flavors but we'll come to identify ourselves as members of this global culture. ....

NO. Just the opposite.

The trend continues unabated and as technology such as socail media and language translation computers we will eventually become part of a global culture. There will still be local flavors but we'll come to identify ourselves as members of this global culture. ....

NO. Just the opposite.

Not a very convincing arguement. Are you saying my analysis of the past is wrong or my prediction for the future or both?

I'm saying that increased 'global' connectivity is likely to result in regionalism, not universalism.

I'm saying that increased 'global' connectivity is likely to result in regionalism, not universalism.

Good point, but why not both.
the US is a good example of how sovereign local states
can exist and operate under a unified law, and still have local independence and identity.

the key is to organize all districts and cities under the same model.

Teach communities to organize resources in a sustainable way
where they can manage by local democratic representation and process.
here is the model I borrow from, for converting public housing into a
sustainable campus to rebuild the community around to teach financial
independence to families to break the cycle of poverty: http www.houstonprogressive.org
Why can't we replicate this model across the border, and in every city and state?

So we have both: local interests represented with the minimal bureaucracy
by having as direct accountability as possible, and teaching financial
independence and political stability for each region
AND a unified system of connecting these locales in unions similar to the
US under a Constitution that recognizes the rights reserved to people and states.

Through the campus system of organizing autonomous groups by "department"
we can connect these regional campus communities and cities built around
them to other resources, so people freely share information and support.

Just because we are localized and manage our own districts
doesn't mean we lose touch with the global community; it can be
the opposite where we are more free to work together when
we get our home bases stabiliized.

here is my proposal to stabilize the border using this model:
Earned Amnesty
If we can use this as a pilot study, and train military and govt leaders
to manage cities and communities through campuses with teaching
hospitals, jobs, and services to rebuild local economies, why not
replicate this in other areas of instability by addressing poverty head on.

With restitution owed for crimes of human and drug trafficking alone
in these troubled areas and countries, the money and labor that could
be invested back could easily build schools, hospitals and campus housing
to help the very people exploited. So we can break the cycle of oppression,
poverty and abuse by investing resources and restitution into building sustainable
solutions instead of wasting billions on wars that leave people even more impoverished.

Last edited:
the key is to organize all districts and cities under the same model..

Yeah, the key to disaster.

The disaster is caused by NOT giving people equal options to
access education and training to becoming self-governing.

Without equal empowerment, that is where third-parties step in
to take advantage politically of the underprivileged.

So this model would end financial and political poverty
and stop exploitation by teaching people to become independent and self-sustaining.

access education and training to becoming self-governing..

Wrong. Disaster is caused by trying to impose central planning and control. That has only ever resulted in loss of freedom, life, and ultimately ended in failure - every time.

access education and training to becoming self-governing..

Wrong. Disaster is caused by trying to impose central planning and control. That has only ever resulted in loss of freedom, life, and ultimately ended in failure - every time.

RIGHT so this is the OPPOSITE.
Instead of central control imposed from outside like a huge umbrella bureaucracy,
this is about LOCALIZING democratic representation and management per district or community.

And Unk if you are worried that the District level is imposing on the people,
then you break it down FURTHER until you get to the level where people are representing themselves:
from the bottom-up as individuals NOT from the top-down as bureaucracy.

I am trying to avoid and break down the very centralization and imposition that you also say
is causing the disastrous problems. I agree! So let's break it down and teach people at every level
to become self-governing. Only as they agree to form a central agreement that represents them, that's fine.
The people maintain control and can break off and form a sovereign group to protect their interests.
This does not negate the central policies that all subgroups can still agree to follow -- by free choice, not force.

Forum List

Back