Police Officer Follows Man Home From Supermarket To Harass Him About Mask

Can he shoot the trespasser?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Are you joking? No you can’t shoot somebody for harassing you on your property, especially a police officer who witnessed you violating public safety regulations. Are you seriously asking this question?

The other cop told the citizen that he had broken no laws and was free to go. Which he did. He went home. Subsequently, the second cop, the one in the video, took matters into his own hands and followed him home, entered his property, and began harrassing him. Again, this is after the previous cop said he'd broken no laws and was free to go. So the cop who followed him home had no legitimate reason for being on the citizen's property, much less harrassing him.

These situations do occur. Often, in fact. As I said, PA does also have a castle doctrine law as well. If it's a stupid question, then, why do they have the law?

I think it's a fair question.

What would have happened if the citizen approached the cop and the cop opened fire on the citizen out of fear for his safety? That happens quite a bit.
Then the appropriate action is to get the cops name and badge number and report a complaint about his conduct. Not shoot him. What a ludicrous notion. Or he could simply close the door and go watch TV or something

In the video, a Pennsylvania state trooper exits his vehicle and tells the man recording that he ran his tag because he wasn’t wearing a mask at a supermarket earlier.

pic.twitter.com/o0Ytd7QRT0

Question. Is the property owner legally entitled to shoot this person who has entered his property and began harrassing him? No crime was committed on the part of the property owner.

Thanks!

Legally, no. And even if he was, they would prosecute him anyway for killing one of their enforcer minions.
Morally and ethically, yes. In an ideal world, he should be able to shoot the guy and leave his severed head on a fencepost as a warning to others while the police car burns merrily in the street. (After looting the body and the vehicle for weapons and equipment, of course.)

But this is far from an ideal world, so just get his name and badge number, file a complaint (which will go nowhere) and use the info to find out where he lives...... use that information as you see fit. If he wants to follow people to their homes and threaten them for doing nothing wrong, well that door swings both ways, doesn't it?

Yeah. I think filing a complaint, possibly a lawsuit, is likely where this will go. If nothing is done about it, it'll only give the practice credibility.

And you know how the popular justification for the tyrannies the electorate suffers under the modern day gestapo is always "Well, that's how we did it last time and nobody said anything"

Last edited:
Then the appropriate action is to get the cops name and badge number and report a complaint about his conduct. Not shoot him. What a ludicrous notion. Or he could simply close the door and go watch TV or something

I agree with you. But it's not a ludicrous notion at all. It happens. I don't think it's out of the question to examine such a scenario.

This could have ended very badly. It didn't, of course. But it could have.

Law enforcement not policy enforcement.

During the initial police encounter with the first officer in the grocery store the citizen was informed that he had broken no law and was free to go. Which he did. He went home. It should have ended there.

If the property owner draws down on the interloper trooper then all the wrath of hell will come down on the poor civilian. But academically speaking, and in a an actual freedom loving American parallel universe, yes; the man has the right to take measures. See, in PA law enforcement can't even run your info just because you're openly carrying a sidearm. Apparently, now however, not wearing a mask is more threatening than open carry. Of course, this is just the beginning of the fascism to come in the days and months ahead. Friendly old Dudley Do-Right Trooper who used to be our friend will, without hesitation, enforce state authoritarianism with a smile on his (or her) face. Jackboots included.

Civilian?

Agreed on your latter points.

Situations like that in the video are just begging for a bad ending at some point. It was really stupid on the part of the cop. Could have ended badly, and has many times in similar situations.
The problem is, it doesn't end badly for the cops nearly often enough. The bad outcomes are always borne by the citizens.

And until it does, they are going to keep on doing it and pushing to do more.
Guy is lucky he didn't have a dog for the trooper to shoot.

This^^

I agree with you. But it's not a ludicrous notion at all. It happens. I don't think it's out of the question to examine such a scenario.

You're right it could have. If the property owner had shot the police officer for trespassing then the property owner would be wrong and should be jailed. You obey police officers even if you think they are in the wrong. If the cop did act inappropriately then there should be a complaint or lawsuit Filed to hold him to account.

You're right it could have. If the property owner had shot the police officer for trespassing then the property owner would be wrong and should be jailed. You obey police officers even if you think they are in the wrong. If the cop did act inappropriately then there should be a complaint or lawsuit Filed to hold him to account.
Also the dude should have just worn a damn mask while in a grocery store. What’s wrong with these people. It’s not hard to do.
Are they going to start taking issue with the no shirt no shoes no service places next?

In the video, a Pennsylvania state trooper exits his vehicle and tells the man recording that he ran his tag because he wasn’t wearing a mask at a supermarket earlier.

pic.twitter.com/o0Ytd7QRT0

Question. Is the property owner legally entitled to shoot this person who has entered his property and began harrassing him? No crime was committed on the part of the property owner.

Thanks!

Legally, no. And even if he was, they would prosecute him anyway for killing one of their enforcer minions.
Morally and ethically, yes. In an ideal world, he should be able to shoot the guy and leave his severed head on a fencepost as a warning to others while the police car burns merrily in the street. (After looting the body and the vehicle for weapons and equipment, of course.)

But this is far from an ideal world, so just get his name and badge number, file a complaint (which will go nowhere) and use the info to find out where he lives...... use that information as you see fit. If he wants to follow people to their homes and threaten them for doing nothing wrong, well that door swings both ways, doesn't it?

Yeah. I think filing a complaint, possibly a lawsuit, is likely where this will go. If nothing is done about it, it'll only give the practice credibility.

And you know how the popular justification to the tyrannies the electorate suffers under the modern day gestapo is always "Well, that's how we did it last time nd nobody said anything"

We need a lot more porcupines and a lot less rabbits out there...... the (law)dogs need to learn what they can and can't bite.

And btw, all those cops who like to refer to themselves as "sheepdogs"? Sheepdog works for the shepherd..... he only protects the sheep so the shepherd can shear them over and over until it's time to slaughter them.

Still think the cops are your friends? :cool:

Also the dude should have just worn a damn mask while in a grocery store. What’s wrong with these people. It’s not hard to do.
Are they going to start taking issue with the no shirt no shoes no service places next?

I call in my grocery order and they bring it in a grocery store van. Perishables anyway. I've enough in my pantry to last for close to a year or better.

And over 95% of those complaints or lawsuits will get dismissed right off. The only time one will occasionally work is usually when they are already looking to get rid of the cop in question.
The only reason they even have a complaint process is to give an appearance of accountability, not to actually hold anyone accountable.

I call in my grocery order and they bring it in a grocery store van. Perishables anyway. I've enough in my pantry to last for close to a year or better.
Nice, plenty of delivery options like that out there too.

And over 95% of those complaints or lawsuits will get dismissed right off. The only time one will occasionally work is usually when they are already looking to get rid of the cop in question.
The only reason they even have a complaint process is to give an appearance of accountability, not to actually hold anyone accountable.
Well that’s the system we have. Elect better sheriffs and mayors and perhaps they can make the system better. There’s a huge movement going around for police reform at the moment perhaps you’ve seen a bit of it?

The option I choose, is to walk in, do my shopping, and tell anyone who asks me about a mask to go away. If I'm asked to leave I will take my business elsewhere (because there is always someone willing to take my money) and that store can go fuck itself.

Well that’s the system we have. Elect better sheriffs and mayors and perhaps they can make the system better. There’s a huge movement going around for police reform at the moment perhaps you’ve seen a bit of it?
I spend a lot of time around a lot of cops, both at work and in my personal life, and I am constantly reminding them that some of us take a very dim view of some of the behavior exhibited by law enforcement. And we know where they live.

My version of police reform. :45:

The option I choose, is to walk in, do my shopping, and tell anyone who asks me about a mask to go away. If I'm asked to leave I will take my business elsewhere (because there is always someone willing to take my money) and that store can go fuck itself.
It’s not your choice dumbass. You entered a private business. Follow their rules or don’t go in. The world doesn’t revolve around YOU. There are other people around and many who are concerned about their health and the health of their loved ones. You’re dumb ass walking around like a tough guy trying to prove a point only proves that your a narcissist douchbag

Forum List

Back