Poll: Do you want the Federal governemnt running all healthcare?

Do you want single payer healthcare run by the Federal government?

• No. I'd rather work and pay for my own healthcare

Votes: 56 83.6%
  • Yes. I trust the government to provide world class healthcare to everyone

Votes: 11 16.4%

• Total voters
The Brits & Canucks have a two tiered healthcare system, basic care is provided free to all, but if you can pay you can upgrade/go elsewhere. Sounds like a good model to me. Ask them if they would prefer our current system to theirs.
Bandwagon and "the grass is greener" fallacies....Not an argument.
You argue your ideology and I'll look for a model that works.
Anyone who uses Medicare now knows that you can add supplements. It's the same thing as is described for Canada and would be the same if we had a 'Medicare for all' program.

I just heard, "We need a Medicare for All program so that we can pay for that AND still pay for private insurance on top of it."

Yeah, great idea.

Why don't you just write down, "If Americans wanted to be like Canadians, they'd move to fucking Canada" somewhere and save us all some time?

We can have them both coexist

If you are happy with your insurance, you can keep your insurance

One way to control healthcare costs is to have "lifetime limits" on healthcare based on the total amount purchased over a lifetime. I can cite many cases of freeloaders in comas, or multiple transplants, or other exorbitant costs who wreck the system for the rest of us when we need it. Healthcare is in-fact a limited commodity, and we need to manage who gets what better before it collapses.
Medicare for all when it will be bankrupt in 2026 is moronic. Fairness needs to be considered, not just calling it a "basic human right". It is not a "right", "free speech" is a right, healthcare is a service provided by highly skilled professionals. Pharmaceuticals are medicines that are very expensive to manufacture. Democrats always want something for nothing.

What sort of limit are you talking about? What dollar amount?

My son was diagnosed with Type-1 at 9 years old, if he lives to be 70 he will have spent a fortune on his healthcare.

I remember Obama's promise that Obamacare would save all families about $2,500 a year, it actually cost them about $10,000 a year in deductibles, meaning that they basically pay premiums AND pay deductibles to see a doctor. McCain really screwed up not killing Obamacare when he had the chance.

The democrats are running on "single payer" Medicare for all, where the government pays for all healthcare, and its FREE when needed. I can't imagine the lines of people waiting to see doctors. I wonder what GS pay grade doctors would get?

These two links basically prove two main points:
1. About 20% of the population uses 80% of the healthcare system. Can you say "pre-existing conditions"?

Does 20% of the population really use 80% of health care dollars?
2. The bottom 50% of the population by income pays basically nothing for healthcare
How do health expenditures vary across the population? - Peterson-Kaiser Health System Tracker

How can we improve the US healthcare system?
1. The bottom half of the population needs to work to get healthcare, medicaid needs to be cut
2. The 20% of the sickest need top pay more for healthcare since they use most of the resource

Any better ideas??
/——-/ I enjoy the 5 hour line at the DMV to renew my license, so I say yes.

If we are basing it off of DMVs then I might go for yes, I can walk in and out in 15 minutes.

I remember Obama's promise that Obamacare would save all families about $2,500 a year, it actually cost them about $10,000 a year in deductibles, meaning that they basically pay premiums AND pay deductibles to see a doctor. McCain really screwed up not killing Obamacare when he had the chance.

The democrats are running on "single payer" Medicare for all, where the government pays for all healthcare, and its FREE when needed. I can't imagine the lines of people waiting to see doctors. I wonder what GS pay grade doctors would get?

1. About 20% of the population uses 80% of the healthcare system. Can you say "pre-existing conditions"?

2. The bottom 50% of the population by income pays basically nothing for healthcare
How do health expenditures vary across the population? - Peterson-Kaiser Health System Tracker

1. The bottom half of the population needs to work to get healthcare, medicaid needs to be cut
2. The 20% of the sickest need top pay more for healthcare since they use most of the resource

Any better ideas??
Neither of those options. I do believe its part of the governments duty as part of taking care of American citizens that healthcare and education is part of that.

One way to control healthcare costs is to have "lifetime limits" on healthcare based on the total amount purchased over a lifetime. I can cite many cases of freeloaders in comas, or multiple transplants, or other exorbitant costs who wreck the system for the rest of us when we need it. Healthcare is in-fact a limited commodity, and we need to manage who gets what better before it collapses.
Medicare for all when it will be bankrupt in 2026 is moronic. Fairness needs to be considered, not just calling it a "basic human right". It is not a "right", "free speech" is a right, healthcare is a service provided by highly skilled professionals. Pharmaceuticals are medicines that are very expensive to manufacture. Democrats always want something for nothing.

My son was diagnosed with Type-1 at 9 years old, if he lives to be 70 he will have spent a fortune on his healthcare.

The great thing about socialized medicine is, no matter how healthy you are you will end up spending a fortune on health care.

Any better ideas??

If we are basing it off of DMVs then I might go for yes, I can walk in and out in 15 minutes.
/—-/ Try NY- 3-4 hours for routine stuff. No one teller can do it all. Three different lines each with a long wait- then the Union lunch breaks.

being tied to the employer is what makes it cheaper because they bring large groups to the market,,,
So your answer is EFF 'em, right? No good job, no good health insurance, and no job at all, no health insurance at all eh?

That's why the system is broken, and why the Republican way is about to be completely dismantled.

You guys aren't honest brokers. You just aren't.

You can't go thru the grocery store and say "we're hungry" so thanks for the free food, since other people are paying for theirs since they have jobs.
You can't go to Walmart's and get stuff you need and then say you aren't paying for it.
You can't go to the barber, meat market, iTunes, or the cable TV or phone company and say you want service but aren't going to pay for it.
Same with a new car, or new clothes, or anything you want...

So why is it that dems think that healthcare and pharmaceuticals need to be free and someone else will pay for them?

Because as a country we have decided that we do not want to see people dead on the streets because they could not afford medical care.

The great thing about socialized medicine is, no matter how healthy you are you will end up spending a fortune on health care.

non sequitur much?

Any better ideas??

/—-/ Try NY- 3-4 hours for routine stuff. No one teller can do it all. Three different lines each with a long wait- then the Union lunch breaks.

Sorry NY sucks so much. Here in the land of Lincoln I am in and out in 15 minutes or less

being tied to the employer is what makes it cheaper because they bring large groups to the market,,,
So your answer is EFF 'em, right? No good job, no good health insurance, and no job at all, no health insurance at all eh?

That's why the system is broken, and why the Republican way is about to be completely dismantled.

You can't go thru the grocery store and say "we're hungry" so thanks for the free food, since other people are paying for theirs since they have jobs.
You can't go to Walmart's and get stuff you need and then say you aren't paying for it.
You can't go to the barber, meat market, iTunes, or the cable TV or phone company and say you want service but aren't going to pay for it.

So why is it that dems think that healthcare and pharmaceuticals need to be free and someone else will pay for them?

Because as a country we have decided that we do not want to see people dead on the streets because they could not afford medical care.
you need to speak for yourself,,,cause we as a country have decided a fucking thing,,,,

Anytime you "give" a service to people, they use it, and use it, and use it, and abuse it. Universal healthcare would kill us economically, and turn healthcare into an unreachable mess as too many people would be trying to use it. That's when rationing will happen, and those that actually need care won't get it.

Again if you want DMV, or VA (yes that's government run healthcare which SUCKS) then go single payer, universal healthcare.

The VA as a whole does not suck, there are some amazing VA health centers, and there are some really shitty ones.

Any better ideas??

Several.

First of all, people need to be getting their health insurance individually, the way they buy every other insurance they use, rather than being dependent on an employer to decide which plan is going to be offered and how much it's going to cost them. This would require several things.

1) Allow health insurance to be sold across state lines to increase competition.
2) Allow insurance companies more scope to tailor policies and coverage to what their customers want to buy.
3) Give individual purchasers the same sort of tax breaks on their insurance that employers currently enjoy.
4) Allow customers to form their own associations through which to buy insurance and get discounts available for larger customer pools.

Second of all, the patients need to also be the customers when it comes to using healthcare. Rather than mandating expansion of EVERY policy to cover EVERY possible use of medical care, we need to expand the use and availability of HSA and flexible spending accounts. Instead of sending premiums to an insurance company every paycheck, that money goes into an account pre-tax, and waits there for you to use it. And then when you need to visit a doctor, YOU see the prices, YOU decide what to spend and where. Prices for medical care will become lower and less obscure when doctors aren't having to figure out how to get around a bunch of bean-counters and algorithms at some insurance company.

Third, we need to stop looking around for other countries to imitate, and start thinking outside the box for solutions that fit who and what America and its people are.
We need to acknowledge this is a critical national issue and put together a bipartisan solution without the healthcare lobby

you need to speak for yourself,,,cause we as a country have decided a fucking thing,,,,

Yes we have, that is why we have laws that force medical personnel and hospitals to treat people irregardless of their ability to pay, signed into law by Reagan and has been the law of the land ever since.

If we insist on Government provided health care because it prolongs life, then they should also allow DR assisted suicide like Kevorkian did

-Geaux

Any better ideas??

Sorry NY sucks so much. Here in the land of Lincoln I am in and out in 15 minutes or less
NJ is the same way
Much can be done online and a visit to DMV usually takes under 15 minutes
Even auto inspections

Yes we have, that is why we have laws that force medical personnel and hospitals to treat people irregardless of their ability to pay, signed into law by Reagan and has been the law of the land ever since.
I think the State is absorbing the cost through medicaid

-Geaux

and thats enough,,,but we didnt decide that,,,a small group of people did

If we insist on Government provided health care because it prolongs life, then they should also allow DR assisted suicide like Kevorkian did

-Geaux

There is no reason they should be illegal. Who we are to tell someone they cannot take their own life

and thats enough,,,but we didnt decide that,,,a small group of people did

The people you voted for did, and you have kept voting for people that will not get rid of it.

One real case was an illegal in a coma in a hospital for years, wasting millions of needed healthcare dollars. There needs to be some common sense limits used. Stupid laws need to be changed.

Forum List

Back