Poverty and ignorance breeds crime. Economic immigrants and refugees are poor and uneducated. 2+2=4

As a member of the left, no - I don't want to ignore millions of of illegal immigrants. I DO want us to do OUR SHARE in alleviating the world's refugee crisis PARTICULARLY in those countries where we played a part in their demise.

I want illegal immigrants to be treated with the same basic human dignity and rights as any other person in America. That means if they are begging for asylum, they get their hearings, without having their children ripped away and thrown into foster care. It's nothing more than than behaving like a civilized country.

I don't see why that is so abhorrant to you.

Sentence 1: contrary to rightwing mythology, immigrants don't come here for welfare. They come here to work, to try and make a better life than they left. Most work. At crap jobs.

Sentence 2: So what? Immigrants have a lower rate of crime than native born Americans. They are also more likely to be victimized.

Sentence 3: We were all foreigners once...

What diminishing quality of life and what evidence do you have that it is caused by "foreigners"?

I addressed your points.

One of the often repeated statements from the left is the need for fairness.
Despite all arguments to the contrary ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS represent actions and attitudes which are inherently UNFAIR to the more than 6 million people each year who apply for immigrant visas and wait to legally enter the US. Tens of millions of applicants, many who have been waiting years continue to wait while illegals jump the line.
Can the left truly claim that illegals are more deserving than the millions worldwide who have done everything asked of them and followed the law?

So...speaking of fairness. Why is there such a bottleneck with LEGAL immigration?

Because the theory is that we only allow so many into our country so as to assimilate into our society. Right now, against our will, we are becoming a bilingual nation because we are so overrun by Spanish speaking immigrants legal and illegal.

It's clear we are allowing too many in.

There is a lot of myth in that. We have no problem with assimilation, language learning rates are no different today then a century ago. Contrary to popular rhetoric we are not being flooded. The real irony is we have ALWAYS been bilingual. A big irony when people make these claims is a big chunk of America was Spanish speaking when we took it. Spanish is a part of our culture whether you like it or not.

The myth of America's immigration problem

America is home to tens of millions of immigrants. Indeed, "a record 43.2 million immigrants [were] living in the U.S. in 2015, making up 13.4 percent of the nation's population," Pew reports. They are, of course, just as diverse as their varied origins suggest. But broadly speaking, Mexican immigrants are disproportionately less educated and poor, typically working in agriculture, low-paying service jobs, manufacturing, or construction; while Asian immigrants tend to be college-educated and working middle-class or higher jobs. Latin American immigrants from outside Mexico are in the middle, a bit worse off than the American average but not by much.

This makes less difference than quietly race-obsessed conservatives assume. In terms of actually existing American culture, Latinos are already much better integrated than Irish, Italians, or Germans were when they arrived in large numbers. Indeed, Latin American culture has made a such a deep imprint on the United States that it might fairly be considered a constitutive element of American culture as whole.

Latinos have been living in parts of the United States since before the very first colonial British immigrants. Spanish is a de facto second language in much of the country, Mexican food (and its various adaptations) can be found in virtually every city and town, and Catholicism has long since become just another ordinary flavor of American Christianity. If we consider history, this shouldn't be remotely surprising. It turns out when you flagrantly steal half of Mexico, it makes a bit of a lasting imprint.

It is surely true that immigrants can create some social tension, especially in communities without a lot of experience with them. But if anything, America is better positioned to absorb the current generation of immigrants than it was 160 years ago, when poverty-stricken Irish families were piling into New York City by the tens of thousands.

Hmmm. Then I guess I imagined my entire life because you see, I'm probably older than you are, and I remember this country as an English only nation. Granted, we used to have pockets of immigrants here and there, but their languages were not nationally spread like it is today.

When you called a business, you only got one language--English. When you seen a sign on a door, it was only in one language--English. When you called your bank or department store, they only spoke one language--English. When you got a job, the only language you needed to be proficient at was English. When you voted, you only got one ballot--English.
If you are older than I it isn’t by much if any.

Despite all arguments to the contrary ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS represent actions and attitudes which are inherently UNFAIR to the more than 6 million people each year who apply for immigrant visas and wait to legally enter the US. Tens of millions of applicants, many who have been waiting years continue to wait while illegals jump the line.
Can the left truly claim that illegals are more deserving than the millions worldwide who have done everything asked of them and followed the law?

So...speaking of fairness. Why is there such a bottleneck with LEGAL immigration?

Because the theory is that we only allow so many into our country so as to assimilate into our society. Right now, against our will, we are becoming a bilingual nation because we are so overrun by Spanish speaking immigrants legal and illegal.

There is a lot of myth in that. We have no problem with assimilation, language learning rates are no different today then a century ago. Contrary to popular rhetoric we are not being flooded. The real irony is we have ALWAYS been bilingual. A big irony when people make these claims is a big chunk of America was Spanish speaking when we took it. Spanish is a part of our culture whether you like it or not.

America is home to tens of millions of immigrants. Indeed, "a record 43.2 million immigrants [were] living in the U.S. in 2015, making up 13.4 percent of the nation's population," Pew reports. They are, of course, just as diverse as their varied origins suggest. But broadly speaking, Mexican immigrants are disproportionately less educated and poor, typically working in agriculture, low-paying service jobs, manufacturing, or construction; while Asian immigrants tend to be college-educated and working middle-class or higher jobs. Latin American immigrants from outside Mexico are in the middle, a bit worse off than the American average but not by much.

This makes less difference than quietly race-obsessed conservatives assume. In terms of actually existing American culture, Latinos are already much better integrated than Irish, Italians, or Germans were when they arrived in large numbers. Indeed, Latin American culture has made a such a deep imprint on the United States that it might fairly be considered a constitutive element of American culture as whole.

Latinos have been living in parts of the United States since before the very first colonial British immigrants. Spanish is a de facto second language in much of the country, Mexican food (and its various adaptations) can be found in virtually every city and town, and Catholicism has long since become just another ordinary flavor of American Christianity. If we consider history, this shouldn't be remotely surprising. It turns out when you flagrantly steal half of Mexico, it makes a bit of a lasting imprint.

It is surely true that immigrants can create some social tension, especially in communities without a lot of experience with them. But if anything, America is better positioned to absorb the current generation of immigrants than it was 160 years ago, when poverty-stricken Irish families were piling into New York City by the tens of thousands.

Hmmm. Then I guess I imagined my entire life because you see, I'm probably older than you are, and I remember this country as an English only nation. Granted, we used to have pockets of immigrants here and there, but their languages were not nationally spread like it is today.

When you called a business, you only got one language--English. When you seen a sign on a door, it was only in one language--English. When you called your bank or department store, they only spoke one language--English. When you got a job, the only language you needed to be proficient at was English. When you voted, you only got one ballot--English.

You sure do love to make pointless observations that don't really deal with what was said in the post.

They hate the idea of communicating with folks that have not yet learned the English language like Okies..

This is the year 2018 and we face problems unique to the era we live in. The left wants to invite in millions of immigrants/refugees and ignore millions more illegal ones, and God only knows how bad it would be without Republican opposition.

As a member of the left, no - I don't want to ignore millions of of illegal immigrants. I DO want us to do OUR SHARE in alleviating the world's refugee crisis PARTICULARLY in those countries where we played a part in their demise.

I want illegal immigrants to be treated with the same basic human dignity and rights as any other person in America. That means if they are begging for asylum, they get their hearings, without having their children ripped away and thrown into foster care. It's nothing more than than behaving like a civilized country.

How can we hope to have affordable social programs for Americans with that going on? Also poor and uneducated people are going to commit more crime. I recognize not all of them will do that, but a lot will because they're poor and uneducated. I personally can't justify increased victimization of Americans for the sake of foreigners.

Sentence 1: contrary to rightwing mythology, immigrants don't come here for welfare. They come here to work, to try and make a better life than they left. Most work. At crap jobs.

Sentence 2: So what? Immigrants have a lower rate of crime than native born Americans. They are also more likely to be victimized.

Unsurprisingly diminishing the quality of life in America for the sake of foreigners is becoming more and more unpopular among voters.

What diminishing quality of life and what evidence do you have that it is caused by "foreigners"?

I addressed your points.

Leave it to a far left drone to use a far left hack site for their facts.

It is not a myth until you can prove otherwise. Using a far left hack site just proves you are a far left drone troll!

And as always you far left drones missed the point, illegal immigration is not legal immigration and is off topic of this thread

anybody else -- WHAT . ----------------- Anyway , self preservation is not selfish , its simply common sense . USA and the WESTERN world but USA Primarily owes Nothing to third Worlders starving or not starving . Everyone talks about immigration as if the USA has to allow immigration and that is not the case . Simply Not Wanting to allow immigration is the only reason needed for not allowing immigration into the USA Confounding .

I think the word "selfish" bothers you too much. Focusing on ourselves instead of others is the definition of the word. There's nothing wrong with focusing on ourselves when the alternative will hurt our nation.
------------------------------------------------------- I know the definition of the word SELFISH and though i haven't looked the Dictionary Definition for years it has a NEGATIVE Connotation and thats why i don't like using it Confounding . I prefer the concept of Self Preservation and my main point no matter what word is used is that the USA has No Duty to allow anyone into the USA Confounding .

In places like Miami you'll see more Spanish than English. Even the road signs are in Spanish.

In the various Chinese communities in the US “China Towns” there are road signs in Chinese. When the we had the big immigration of East European Jews there were Yiddish signs. What is the big deal?

In places like Miami you'll see more Spanish than English. Even the road signs are in Spanish.

That's exactly what I mean: too many of them here.

Too many that refuse to assimilate..

But that has nothing to do with them living in poverty!

and legal and illegal immigration is the same thing . See the rapes , beatings , robberies being done in Europe , Sweden by LEGAL immigrants . See the stabbing on a German bus in 'Luebeck' Germany just yesterday by an 'iranian' asumed by me to be a 'shite muslim' . --- Several hurt in German bus knife attack --- i think thats it but i'll have to get the muslims iranian description .

I addressed your points.

It is not a myth until you can prove otherwise. Using a far left hack site just proves you are a far left drone troll!

And as always you far left drones missed the point, illegal immigration is not legal immigration and is off topic of this thread
Actually Kosh I don’t think you read the topic. It makes no mention of legal or illegal status but rather economic status of immigrants. In addition we have an administration actively going after immigrants here legally looking for reasons to strip them of their status and send them back.

Maybe you should read it. Just a thought. Or in your case a novel idea that has yet to be entertained in that warped little cavity that passes for your head.

That is what they said about the Irish, Italians, Poles....

I support dreamers, they have done what has been required to Assimilate.
support those that want to become Americans.
also support the deportation of those who have no interest in becoming American
lets start with the drug dealers, gangs, we do have a problem in many parts of the country with illegals.
one side underestimates the problem the other side overestimates. all our employment problems are not coming from illegals.
there are to many lies we could solve this problem if we became willing to work together on it.

Actually Kosh I don’t think you read the topic. It makes no mention of legal or illegal status but rather economic status of immigrants. In addition we have an administration actively going after immigrants here legally looking for reasons to strip them of their status and send them back.

Maybe you should read it. Just a thought. Or in your case a novel idea that has yet to be entertained in that warped little cavity that passes for your head.

Yes I know you did not read the topic as your comments have nothing to with poverty, show in your post that has anything to with the OP..

That is what they said about the Irish, Italians, Poles....

What does this have to with the OP and poverty?

---------------------------------------------- GOOD , send them back , maybe they have learned enough to build something useful Coyote . Go TRUMP !!

How much of our own comfort are we willing to sacrifice for this feel good bullshit? Do you have any idea how many poor and desperate people there are in the world? I'll give you a hint; there are a fuck load. The first world can't save everybody, and in attempting to do so we're just going to shoot ourselves in the foot. If the left got its way we would actually be fucked. The Republicans do a lot of stupid shit, but thank fuck for their stance on immigration. If we actually want to help these people we need to figure out how to help them where they live.

Do you disappointed lefties want to know why Trump won, and why he will win again? It's because you people would fuck up everything if you had full control of the immigration situation. That one issue is hurting the left badly. If you'd just pull your heads out of your asses and focus on Americans you would start dominating elections.

What do you care? You said you hate America and Americans.

Forum List

Back