Poverty and ignorance breeds crime. Economic immigrants and refugees are poor and uneducated. 2+2=4

If you and your ancestors thought the same millions of natives didnt have to lose their lives and land.

Yeah, I'm sorry about the native Americans, but that shit happened and we are where we are. Do you have a realistic argument to make?
My argument is since conservatives talk about God and jesus all the time, this earth was created to humans and not just for one race or nationality...as your race fled for a better race and made this land safe for you although you killed millions in the process, dont be a dick and deny others a better life and safety. Jesus wouldn't be q dick like you and your orange would he ?

Making assumptions about what a person believes is for stupid people. I didn't vote for Trump. I was just explaining why he won and why the left is going to give away another win if they don't smarten up. I'm also not religious, so I don't concern myself with what Jesus would do. If it in any way jeopardizes the comfort of Americans I will stand against it. The killing of the natives happened centuries ago. Making political concessions over it is asinine.

If you and your ancestors thought the same millions of natives didnt have to lose their lives and land.

Yeah, I'm sorry about the native Americans, but that shit happened and we are where we are. Do you have a realistic argument to make?
My argument is since conservatives talk about God and jesus all the time, this earth was created to humans and not just for one race or nationality...as your race fled for a better race and made this land safe for you although you killed millions in the process, dont be a dick and deny others a better life and safety. Jesus wouldn't be q dick like you and your orange would he ?

So now that we came here, made a better place for ourselves, you feel it's our obligation to invite others to enjoy what we worked so hard for?

If you just spent the money for a built-in swimming pool, do you feel obligated for the entire neighborhood to come by and take a swim anytime they want to?

So now that we came here, made a better place for ourselves, you feel it's our obligation to invite others to enjoy what we worked so hard for?

If you just spent the money for a built-in swimming pool, do you feel obligated for the entire neighborhood to come by and take a swim anytime they want to?

They seem to think the fact that immigrants aren't automatically bad people means we have some kind of obligation to give them all the same opportunities we have. They don't understand the math doesn't work that way. You have to make hard, grown up decisions in the real world. If the comfort of the first world is to be maintained we cannot invite in the third world. It doesn't matter how many good people are struggling. We literally cannot save them, and hurting ourselves in some misguided effort to do so is not something I'll ever get behind. Yes, it's selfish, but there isn't another way.

They seem to think the fact that immigrants aren't automatically bad people means we have some kind of obligation to give them all the same opportunities we have. They don't understand the math doesn't work that way. You have to make hard, grown up decisions in the real world. If the comfort of the first world is to be maintained we cannot invite in the third world. It doesn't matter how many good people are struggling. We literally cannot save them, and hurting ourselves in some misguided effort to do so is not something I'll ever get behind. Yes, it's selfish, but there isn't another way.

Exactly. If you work hard and become wealthy, do you invite homeless people to live in your mansion with you? Of course not, that would be ridiculous, and what would happen to that beautiful mansion of yours given some time?

I've never been to San Francisco, but I heard it was once a beautiful place. Now they distribute poop maps so people can avoid stepping in human feces.

The countries in question are that way because of the people who occupy those countries. It doesn't make sense to bring those people here to do the same with ours.

---------------------------------------- naw , not selfish , just common sense thinking . I can't believe that adult Americans and Westerners think that the first world has a duty to take care of the 'third world' .

The countries in question are that way because of the people who occupy those countries. It doesn't make sense to bring those people here to do the same with ours.

I don't think the argument even needs to go that far. I tend to think that people are just people. Some cultures suck and mold people badly, etc, but people in general are pretty much the same I think. It doesn't matter why their countries are fucked up. The fact is they are, and the people trying to come here and poor and uneducated. We simply can't support millions upon millions of poor people that siphon off of our social programs and occupy jobs that could go to Americans. No matter how normal or decent these people are we are not obligated to shoot ourselves in the foot in some misguided attempt to save them. Maybe someday technology will give us the means to do that, but right now it doesn't. Any left winger that thinks I'm Satan for my selfishness is free to donate everything they have to some charity to help the world's poor.

---------------------------------------- naw , not selfish , just common sense thinking . I can't believe that adult Americans and Westerners think that the first world has a duty to take care of the 'third world' .

There's nothing wrong with focusing on and taking care of ourselves when the only other option if jeopardizing our comfort. I think we should just own the fact that it's a bit selfish. There's nothing wrong with that because it's the logical thing to do. The left is stupid for wanting to sacrifice what we have out of sympathy for the poor of the world.

i object to the use of the word Selfish . USA and the WEST has no Duty to help anyone but itself Confounding .

i object to the use of the word Selfish . USA has no Duty to help anyone but itself Confounding .

Selfishness isn't always a bad thing; sometimes it's an intelligent and logical thing. Selfishness created the first world. Without it we'd all be living in shit holes. I am thankful for the selfishness of my ancestors. It's the only reason my life kicks ass right now. Bleeding hearts can go live in the third world if they have a problem with it.

Last edited:
Many immigrants come to America out of poverty through out our history.

Is there a point here?

This is the year 2018 and we face problems unique to the era we live in. The left wants to invite in millions of immigrants/refugees and ignore millions more illegal ones, and God only knows how bad it would be without Republican opposition.

As a member of the left, no - I don't want to ignore millions of of illegal immigrants. I DO want us to do OUR SHARE in alleviating the world's refugee crisis PARTICULARLY in those countries where we played a part in their demise.

I want illegal immigrants to be treated with the same basic human dignity and rights as any other person in America. That means if they are begging for asylum, they get their hearings, without having their children ripped away and thrown into foster care. It's nothing more than than behaving like a civilized country.

I don't see why that is so abhorrant to you.

How can we hope to have affordable social programs for Americans with that going on? Also poor and uneducated people are going to commit more crime. I recognize not all of them will do that, but a lot will because they're poor and uneducated. I personally can't justify increased victimization of Americans for the sake of foreigners.

Sentence 1: contrary to rightwing mythology, immigrants don't come here for welfare. They come here to work, to try and make a better life than they left. Most work. At crap jobs.

Sentence 2: So what? Immigrants have a lower rate of crime than native born Americans. They are also more likely to be victimized.

Sentence 3: We were all foreigners once...

Unsurprisingly diminishing the quality of life in America for the sake of foreigners is becoming more and more unpopular among voters.

What diminishing quality of life and what evidence do you have that it is caused by "foreigners"?

I addressed your points.

One of the often repeated statements from the left is the need for fairness.
Despite all arguments to the contrary ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS represent actions and attitudes which are inherently UNFAIR to the more than 6 million people each year who apply for immigrant visas and wait to legally enter the US. Tens of millions of applicants, many who have been waiting years continue to wait while illegals jump the line.
Can the left truly claim that illegals are more deserving than the millions worldwide who have done everything asked of them and followed the law?

So...speaking of fairness. Why is there such a bottleneck with LEGAL immigration?

Because the theory is that we only allow so many into our country so as to assimilate into our society. Right now, against our will, we are becoming a bilingual nation because we are so overrun by Spanish speaking immigrants legal and illegal.

It's clear we are allowing too many in.

There is a lot of myth in that. We have no problem with assimilation, language learning rates are no different today then a century ago. Contrary to popular rhetoric we are not being flooded. The real irony is we have ALWAYS been bilingual. A big irony when people make these claims is a big chunk of America was Spanish speaking when we took it. Spanish is a part of our culture whether you like it or not.

The myth of America's immigration problem

America is home to tens of millions of immigrants. Indeed, "a record 43.2 million immigrants [were] living in the U.S. in 2015, making up 13.4 percent of the nation's population," Pew reports. They are, of course, just as diverse as their varied origins suggest. But broadly speaking, Mexican immigrants are disproportionately less educated and poor, typically working in agriculture, low-paying service jobs, manufacturing, or construction; while Asian immigrants tend to be college-educated and working middle-class or higher jobs. Latin American immigrants from outside Mexico are in the middle, a bit worse off than the American average but not by much.

This makes less difference than quietly race-obsessed conservatives assume. In terms of actually existing American culture, Latinos are already much better integrated than Irish, Italians, or Germans were when they arrived in large numbers. Indeed, Latin American culture has made a such a deep imprint on the United States that it might fairly be considered a constitutive element of American culture as whole.

Latinos have been living in parts of the United States since before the very first colonial British immigrants. Spanish is a de facto second language in much of the country, Mexican food (and its various adaptations) can be found in virtually every city and town, and Catholicism has long since become just another ordinary flavor of American Christianity. If we consider history, this shouldn't be remotely surprising. It turns out when you flagrantly steal half of Mexico, it makes a bit of a lasting imprint.

It is surely true that immigrants can create some social tension, especially in communities without a lot of experience with them. But if anything, America is better positioned to absorb the current generation of immigrants than it was 160 years ago, when poverty-stricken Irish families were piling into New York City by the tens of thousands.

anybody else -- WHAT . ----------------- Anyway , self preservation is not selfish , its simply common sense . USA and the WESTERN world but USA Primarily owes Nothing to third Worlders starving or not starving . Everyone talks about immigration as if the USA has to allow immigration and that is not the case . Simply Not Wanting to allow immigration is the only reason needed for not allowing immigration into the USA Confounding .

anybody else -- WHAT . ----------------- Anyway , self preservation is not selfish , its simply common sense . USA and the WESTERN world but USA Primarily owes Nothing to third Worlders starving or not starving . Everyone talks about immigration as if the USA has to allow immigration and that is not the case . Simply Not Wanting to allow immigration is the only reason needed for not allowing immigration into the USA Confounding .

I think the word "selfish" bothers you too much. Focusing on ourselves instead of others is the definition of the word. There's nothing wrong with focusing on ourselves when the alternative will hurt our nation.

This is the year 2018 and we face problems unique to the era we live in. The left wants to invite in millions of immigrants/refugees and ignore millions more illegal ones, and God only knows how bad it would be without Republican opposition.

As a member of the left, no - I don't want to ignore millions of of illegal immigrants. I DO want us to do OUR SHARE in alleviating the world's refugee crisis PARTICULARLY in those countries where we played a part in their demise.

I want illegal immigrants to be treated with the same basic human dignity and rights as any other person in America. That means if they are begging for asylum, they get their hearings, without having their children ripped away and thrown into foster care. It's nothing more than than behaving like a civilized country.

How can we hope to have affordable social programs for Americans with that going on? Also poor and uneducated people are going to commit more crime. I recognize not all of them will do that, but a lot will because they're poor and uneducated. I personally can't justify increased victimization of Americans for the sake of foreigners.

Sentence 1: contrary to rightwing mythology, immigrants don't come here for welfare. They come here to work, to try and make a better life than they left. Most work. At crap jobs.

Sentence 2: So what? Immigrants have a lower rate of crime than native born Americans. They are also more likely to be victimized.

Unsurprisingly diminishing the quality of life in America for the sake of foreigners is becoming more and more unpopular among voters.

What diminishing quality of life and what evidence do you have that it is caused by "foreigners"?

I addressed your points.

Despite all arguments to the contrary ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS represent actions and attitudes which are inherently UNFAIR to the more than 6 million people each year who apply for immigrant visas and wait to legally enter the US. Tens of millions of applicants, many who have been waiting years continue to wait while illegals jump the line.
Can the left truly claim that illegals are more deserving than the millions worldwide who have done everything asked of them and followed the law?

So...speaking of fairness. Why is there such a bottleneck with LEGAL immigration?

Because the theory is that we only allow so many into our country so as to assimilate into our society. Right now, against our will, we are becoming a bilingual nation because we are so overrun by Spanish speaking immigrants legal and illegal.

There is a lot of myth in that. We have no problem with assimilation, language learning rates are no different today then a century ago. Contrary to popular rhetoric we are not being flooded. The real irony is we have ALWAYS been bilingual. A big irony when people make these claims is a big chunk of America was Spanish speaking when we took it. Spanish is a part of our culture whether you like it or not.

America is home to tens of millions of immigrants. Indeed, "a record 43.2 million immigrants [were] living in the U.S. in 2015, making up 13.4 percent of the nation's population," Pew reports. They are, of course, just as diverse as their varied origins suggest. But broadly speaking, Mexican immigrants are disproportionately less educated and poor, typically working in agriculture, low-paying service jobs, manufacturing, or construction; while Asian immigrants tend to be college-educated and working middle-class or higher jobs. Latin American immigrants from outside Mexico are in the middle, a bit worse off than the American average but not by much.

This makes less difference than quietly race-obsessed conservatives assume. In terms of actually existing American culture, Latinos are already much better integrated than Irish, Italians, or Germans were when they arrived in large numbers. Indeed, Latin American culture has made a such a deep imprint on the United States that it might fairly be considered a constitutive element of American culture as whole.

Latinos have been living in parts of the United States since before the very first colonial British immigrants. Spanish is a de facto second language in much of the country, Mexican food (and its various adaptations) can be found in virtually every city and town, and Catholicism has long since become just another ordinary flavor of American Christianity. If we consider history, this shouldn't be remotely surprising. It turns out when you flagrantly steal half of Mexico, it makes a bit of a lasting imprint.

It is surely true that immigrants can create some social tension, especially in communities without a lot of experience with them. But if anything, America is better positioned to absorb the current generation of immigrants than it was 160 years ago, when poverty-stricken Irish families were piling into New York City by the tens of thousands.

Hmmm. Then I guess I imagined my entire life because you see, I'm probably older than you are, and I remember this country as an English only nation. Granted, we used to have pockets of immigrants here and there, but their languages were not nationally spread like it is today.

When you called a business, you only got one language--English. When you seen a sign on a door, it was only in one language--English. When you called your bank or department store, they only spoke one language--English. When you got a job, the only language you needed to be proficient at was English. When you voted, you only got one ballot--English.

I addressed your points.

Hmmm. Then I guess I imagined my entire life because you see, I'm probably older than you are, and I remember this country as an English only nation. Granted, we used to have pockets of immigrants here and there, but their languages were not nationally spread like it is today.

When you called a business, you only got one language--English. When you seen a sign on a door, it was only in one language--English. When you called your bank or department store, they only spoke one language--English. When you got a job, the only language you needed to be proficient at was English. When you voted, you only got one ballot--English.

In places like Miami you'll see more Spanish than English. Even the road signs are in Spanish.

I addressed your points.

The United States has no use for more poor people. They're not going to help us and it's as simple as that. Maybe attitudes will change when we don't have astounding amounts of debt, fucked up infrastructure and a laundry list of other problems that need to be dealt with before we worry about humanitarianism.

Forum List

Back