Power the U.S. With Solar Panels!

Vanadium flow batteries. Water towers. Eveready AA cells. It's only a matter of scale. The Navy had a smallish dry sub that it could lauch from the top of a submarine carryng a few special forces types. I suspect they were a bit rushed with the project but when it came time to come up with a power supply, one of the engineers suggested a 50 gallon polyethylene tub filled with thousands of D-cell alkaline batteries. They tried it and it worked, it had sufficient power and it was even relatively economical.

Those all sound awesome!
What will they cost to cover that week in January?
How will they be charged?

Those all sound awesome!
What will they cost to cover that week in January?
How will they be charged?
Well, alkalines don't have to be charged but you have to throw them away when the week is over. Just like that pot roast she made for the parson 'dropping by'...

America used to be peopled by a race of humans who were ready to embrace the challenge of making a better life. Now, there are only complacent, egoistic children who insist on maintaining an unsupportable level of consumption.

First of all, we would still need power transmission lines going from areas where the sun is shining to where it is cloudy.

So, California, for example, will have enough solar to power themselves AND enough extra to ship to Chicago?

But even on cloudy days, solar panels still produce electricity. Just not as much.

And even less on days when there are 4 inches of snow on the panels.

So, no plans for storing excess solar power in Chicago?

How much overcapacity is needed in the sunny areas? 400%? 1000? More?

Look at the map at the start of this thread. It shows the total area in comparison to the U.S. it would take to power the U.S. But they don't have to be all in one spot. All of that would power Chicago and everyplace else. Day and night. Summer or winter. Next. ever see that glass that covers solar panels? Well guess what. It doesn't have to directly cover the solar panels. You could raise it up at an angle steep enough for any snow to just slide off. The next question was already answered. Next, for whatever energy may be needed anyplace, you just double the number of solar panels. Half the energy could be used for nighttime use. If there is any problem with all this, it is what to do with the excess energy you would have.

You may as well call it perpetual motion.

The scam is similar.

Solar panels last up to 40 years. It takes 1 to 4 years for them to produce the same amount of energy it took to create them.

I'm much more interested in the amount of time it takes to recoup the monetary investment.

So you would be getting around 36 years of absolutely free electricity.

LOL!
Now show me the money.

Do you have nothing better than bullshit? You should be more interested in how much time it will take to come back from EXTINCTION!

America used to be peopled by a race of humans who were ready to embrace the challenge of making a better life. Now, there are only complacent, egoistic children who insist on maintaining an unsupportable level of consumption.

And these days, letting illegals in to do the same.

The square in yellow shows the total amount of area in solar panels it would take to do it. Argue with that you naysayers.

Yep! All it would take moron is decades to build a solar panel the size of South Carolina, or Virginia. Or Maine. All you need is to spend a trillion dollars and beg all the materials from China. Then, by the time you get it built, the first part of it is old and needing replaced. Meantime, what so you so with all the cities and people and hospitals and things in that vast area you built the panels in? Move the whole state?

Then all you will need is another trillion dollars to build the world's largest battery using all the world's supply of rare earth minerals most of which you have to talk China into selling to you at their expense whose mining of would create an ecological and environmental disaster! A battery the size of another whole state which takes just one failure in to catch fire and burn down destroying your lone source of power which you cannot replace which just put such a large cloud of black poisonous smoke into the air as to poison the planet while blocking out the sun sending us into a false winter driving up our energy needs! BYW which also renders your solar panels for energy now useless.

Didn't think that through too well, did ya, Chucklehead?

Look at the map at the start of this thread. It shows the total area in comparison to the U.S. it would take to power the U.S. But they don't have to be all in one spot. All of that would power Chicago and everyplace else. Day and night. Summer or winter. Next. ever see that glass that covers solar panels? Well guess what. It doesn't have to directly cover the solar panels. You could raise it up at an angle steep enough for any snow to just slide off. The next question was already answered. Next, for whatever energy may be needed anyplace, you just double the number of solar panels. Half the energy could be used for nighttime use. If there is any problem with all this, it is what to do with the excess energy you would have.

It shows the total area in comparison to the U.S. it would take to power the U.S. But they don't have to be all in one spot.

Thank goodness. Moving power from California all the way to Chicago might not be very efficient.

All of that would power Chicago and everyplace else. Day and night. Summer or winter.

How would it do that? The sun doesn't generate power in the US 24 hours a day.

Next. ever see that glass that covers solar panels? Well guess what. It doesn't have to directly cover the solar panels. You could raise it up at an angle steep enough for any snow to just slide off.

You're putting the entire panel at an angle, or just the glass?

Next, for whatever energy may be needed anyplace, you just double the number of solar panels.

That is a great idea!

Half the energy could be used for nighttime use.

That could work in ideal situations. What happens when they aren't ideal?

So that's where he got his belief that if we keep using fossil fuels, that by 2050 most of the life on this planet will become extinct.
No, it does not say that. You know where I stand on this issue. I cannot support that claim. I will say that if fossil fuel use is not at least severely curtailed by that point, many humans will have died, a very large number will have been driven into poverty by the cost of dealing with rising sea levels, crop failures, loss of drinking water supplies, natural disasters and more. At our current pace, thousands of species will have gone extinct by then in any case.

No, it does not say that. You know where I stand on this issue. I cannot support that claim. I will say that if fossil fuel use is not at least severely curtailed by that point, many humans will have died, a very large number will have been driven into poverty by the cost of dealing with rising sea levels, crop failures, loss of drinking water supplies, natural disasters and more. At our current pace, thousands of species will have gone extinct by then in any case.
That's only slightly less dumb than the other guy's statement.

Apparently at current technology, I will show you a picture of how many solar panels it would take to power the U.S. That is both day and night. (With the stored energy for nighttime) The square in yellow shows the total amount of area in solar panels it would take to do it. Argue with that you naysayers.

View attachment 538042
Show me your calculations.

Forum List

Back