Predfan vs Wild Hogs

To my knowledge, there are no restraints whatsoever on hunting feral pigs, no matter where they are.
There are beaucoup restraints on Federal land.

First off, if there is no other legal game open, you can't hunt them.

You can't run them with dogs on Federal land.

You cannot bait them on Federal land.

I could go on and on.

We slaughter them on the borders but they just keep coming out of the FS land.

This is true. But there are plenty of private lands on which the owners are very happy to allow you to kill as many as you can in any way you see fit. After you sign a waiver of course.

This is my first hunt. After I'm proficient at it, I might start going out on my own.

Free-range pork: Feral pigs on the loose in the Midwest

src.adapt.960.high.feral_boars.1434328783181.jpg

http://america.aljazeera.com/conten....adapt.960.high.feral_boars.1434328783181.jpg

Michigan had no reported feral swine sightings 30 years ago; as of this year, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources estimates, up to 3,000 wild hogs are spread out over the state’s 83 counties. The Missouri Department of Conservation says few feral hogs existed in the state until the 1990s; now it estimates that 10,000 are prowling the state. Other Midwestern states anecdotally report that their wild hog populations have followed the same trajectory.

They breed like politicians, will eat anything, and are too damned smart. Yet Ohio only has 3 people to deal with this! What stupidity.

Read this story @ Feral Pigs Run Wild in the Midwest Al Jazeera America

http://america.aljazeera.com/conten....adapt.960.high.feral_boars.1434328783181.jpg

Michigan had no reported feral swine sightings 30 years ago; as of this year, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources estimates, up to 3,000 wild hogs are spread out over the state’s 83 counties. The Missouri Department of Conservation says few feral hogs existed in the state until the 1990s; now it estimates that 10,000 are prowling the state. Other Midwestern states anecdotally report that their wild hog populations have followed the same trajectory.

They breed like politicians, will eat anything, and are too damned smart. Yet Ohio only has 3 people to deal with this! What stupidity.

They are like Yankees, you shoot one, five more pop up.

They are like Yankees, you shoot one, five more pop up.

Ha ha, I hope that's true on Saturday.

So I'm getting ready for my first hunt on Saturday. I actually went to buy camouflage clothing. I figured hunters wear it, I probably should too. So why do I feel like such a poser?

I think this guide is going to take one look at me and laugh his ass off.

So I'm getting ready for my first hunt on Saturday. I actually went to buy camouflage clothing. I figured hunters wear it, I probably should too. So why do I feel like such a poser?

Probably.

I told an idiot BIL to get some camo, he showed up with some shit from the kiddie aisle, sleeves mid arm, pants not even to the ankles.

Fucker shot three deer that weekend.

You might look funny, guide will remember whether you shoot straight and tip generously.

Buy a bag of the small tootsie rolls. Don't shave or brush your teeth for a couple of days, then before you meet the guide partially chew 3 or 4 of the tootsie rolls and then hold them in your cheek. Every so often spit a bunch of brown juice.

He'll think you are just a redneck with enough money to buy new camos.

Probably.

I told an idiot BIL to get some camo, he showed up with some shit from the kiddie aisle, sleeves mid arm, pants not even to the ankles.

You might look funny, guide will remember whether you shoot straight and tip generously.

I am a pretty damn good shot with my remington 700 series 30-06. If the hog is within 100 yards and nerves and adrenalin aren't too bad I should be able to drop him right away. That should impress him enough.

Probably.

I am a pretty damn good shot with my remington 700 series 30-06. If the hog is within 100 yards and nerves and adrenalin aren't too bad I should be able to drop him right away. That should impress him enough.
Hunting is funny.
You never know how you will react when you see game.
It is always best to slow down, but, hard to do.

Probably.

My camo is from Bass Pro shop. It's some good quality clothing. It won't be the first time I've been laughed at.

Probably.

My camo is from Bass Pro shop. It's some good quality clothing. It won't be the first time I've been laughed at.
Hit the hogs, you ain't goin' to a beauty contest.

Probably.

Hit the hogs, you ain't goin' to a beauty contest.

Lol, Post of the Year winner!

Probably.

I doubt you will ever be laughed at for wearing camo on any hunting trip.

Probably.

Yes you can.

Do like my BIL, and at 50 wear some shit made for a 10 year old.

Probably.

Yes you can.

Ok, I guess I should amend that to be "I doubt you'll ever be laughed if you wear quality, grownup camo."

I stand corrected.

Probably.

Yes you can.

Ok, I guess I should amend that to be "I doubt you'll ever be laughed if you wear quality, grownup camo."

I stand corrected.
Actually, there are parts of the country where camo is rare.

We aren't all blessed to live in the South.

Probably.

Yes you can.

I stand corrected.
Actually, there are parts of the country where camo is rare.

We aren't all blessed to live in the South.

Poor bastards!

Probably.

DO NOT AIM FOR THE HEAD. Best shot is just behind the forequarters.

Probably.

DO NOT AIM FOR THE HEAD. Best shot is just behind the forequarters.

The boars have a tough gristle shield on the front of their shoulders. A 30-06 should go right thru, but its something to remember.

I'm thinking that it might be difficult to get more than one.

I've never done this before but I can't imagine that when the first shot is taken that the rest of the pigs within miles go immediately into hiding. One shot is all we may get.

Lay out some corn in the spring after they've had piglets.
I killed four with one shot with my .270,of course I had time for the perfect shot since all I had to do was wake up and look out the window.

Forum List

Back