President Trump announces new tariffs: 25% for steel, 10% for aluminum

Germany's behavior, revealed in the WTO airbus ruling, shows that they don't believe that their workers are better, they think they need to subsidize their manufacturers to take American jobs.

Trump Right on Trade Predators

"
Richard Evans of British Aerospace explained: “Airbus is going to attack the Americans, including Boeing, until they bleed and scream.” And another executive said, “If Airbus has to give away planes, we will do it.”

When Europe’s taxpayers objected to the $26 billion in subsidies Airbus had gotten by 1990, German aerospace coordinator Erich Riedl was dismissive, “We don’t care about criticism from small-minded pencil-pushers.”

"

"smaller", "Menial", these are just meaningless buzzwords. Airplane and car manufacturing is not menial, nor low paying.

These nations desperately want these jobs. Why do you think that is?
Their workers are better, that's why they have more manufacturing jobs and we have 3 to 6 million techie manufacturing jobs going begging. The GOP makes us stupid in order to protect their precious greedy idiot mega-rich a-holes. Try staying on subject.

1. Their government obviously disagree, or they would not feel they needed to cheat in order to win.

2. Productivity of US workers is better than German. These Are the Most Productive Countries in the World

3. Which party dominates the Education Industry from kindergarten to post grad? HInt: It's not the republicans.

4. My post was completely on topic. Drop the stop rhetorical games.
We still have 3 2 six million technical jobs going begging because the GOP blocks spending money on training and education for workers, unlike Germany, and we also don't have other government support for industry, like subsidies, all to save the greedy idiot mega-rich GOP from paying their fair share in taxes, dupe. 35 years of slowly ruining the middle class and the country. Great job GOP.

1. We'v been throwing money at "training" for decades, it's become nothing but a buzzword, not a real policy.

2. So you admit that our trade deficits are caused by our trade "partners" subsidizing their industry. Good for you. Now explain why we should just let them fuck US like that, without any response.
Bulshit idiot. Must save greedy idiot mega-rich brainwashers from paying their fair share, right dupe ? And of course we don't tax our giant corporations enough either , a subsidy in itself...

1. My point on "training" stands.

2. My point on our trade "partners" subsidizing their industry stands. YOu have not explained why we should let them fuck US.

3. We do tax corporation plenty. Does the U.S. have the highest corporate tax rate in the free world?

"But whereas the statutory rate is relatively straightforward and uncontroversial, different, reputable organizations have published very different estimates of the effective tax rate that corporations pay.

The most recent estimate comes from the World Bank and International Finance Commission, which put the United States’ effective rate for 2014 at 27.9 percent. That’s second-highest behind New Zealand among OECD countries and 15th-highest among the 189 countries measured.

In 2011, the Tax Foundation published a survey of 13 prior estimates of the United States’ effective tax rate from 2005 to 2011. All 13 studies pegged the U.S.’s rate as above average, but none had the U.S. rate first overall.

Another 2011 study by the Congressional Research Service put the U.S. effective rate at 27.1 percent, slightly lower than the OECD average of 27.7 percent."

Their workers are better, that's why they have more manufacturing jobs and we have 3 to 6 million techie manufacturing jobs going begging. The GOP makes us stupid in order to protect their precious greedy idiot mega-rich a-holes. Try staying on subject.

1. Their government obviously disagree, or they would not feel they needed to cheat in order to win.

2. Productivity of US workers is better than German. These Are the Most Productive Countries in the World

3. Which party dominates the Education Industry from kindergarten to post grad? HInt: It's not the republicans.

You evidently that US workers are rated most productive only because they work more hours, right?
Of course not because you're an idiot.

I live in Republican territory & our school districts are run by REPUBLICANS. Look at that map you Trumpettes keep parading & look at all those red states. You brag about how many State legislatures Republicas control & how masny Republican governors there are. So reaklly, how rthe fuck can you make such an stupid ignorant comment?

Don't blame your failure in school on Democrats. Democrats want to properly fund schools & Republicans want to prioperly fund corporations.
Seems to me the teachers are Democrats at least the good ones LOL and the administrators are Republicans and gym teachers...

The Administrators are even more likely to be dems.

Do you even know any teachers?
I was a teacher for 10 years...

Then why you talking shit about administrators being republicans? Were you teaching in freaking Alaska or rural Montana?

2. So you admit that our trade deficits are caused by our trade "partners" subsidizing their industry. Good for you. Now explain why we should just let them fuck US like that, without any response.

Whomever told you the US did not subsidize industries was lying to you.

We have a trade deficit because the citizens of this country have the financial power to buy things from other countries. Just like the trade deficit you have with your grocery store.

1. I'm not sure what penny ante crap you are referring to, but if we are, the results show we are doing it very badly, and it does not change the fact that our trade policy needs drastic change.

2. German consumers aren't free to buy shit? Japanese consumers aren't free to buy shit? Chinese consumers aren't free to buy shit?

German and Japanese people are free to consume but there is no consumer culture as there is in the US. Both countries have higher savings rates than the US. The Japanese government has tried to encourage more consumption but has largely failed. China is essentially a third world country. Per capita income is closer to that of a third world country.

German consumers, Japanese consumers, Chinese consumers, consume what is available to them, which is a result of trade policy.

Just like we do.

You've done nothing to support your claim that "consumer culture" is the cause of our trade deficit.

Whomever told you the US did not subsidize industries was lying to you.

We have a trade deficit because the citizens of this country have the financial power to buy things from other countries. Just like the trade deficit you have with your grocery store.

1. I'm not sure what penny ante crap you are referring to, but if we are, the results show we are doing it very badly, and it does not change the fact that our trade policy needs drastic change.

2. German consumers aren't free to buy shit? Japanese consumers aren't free to buy shit? Chinese consumers aren't free to buy shit?

German and Japanese people are free to consume but there is no consumer culture as there is in the US. Both countries have higher savings rates than the US. The Japanese government has tried to encourage more consumption but has largely failed. China is essentially a third world country. Per capita income is closer to that of a third world country.
In the 35 years since Reagan screwed up our tax rates to Pander to the riches, our rate of saving that's gone totally to hell, stupid. Under Bush it was negative. Before the corrupt 2008 bush World depression...

Run along Karl, you lost.
Because of totally misinformed Dupes like you Gomer.

You evidently that US workers are rated most productive only because they work more hours, right?

I live in Republican territory & our school districts are run by REPUBLICANS. Look at that map you Trumpettes keep parading & look at all those red states. You brag about how many State legislatures Republicas control & how masny Republican governors there are. So reaklly, how rthe fuck can you make such an stupid ignorant comment?

Don't blame your failure in school on Democrats. Democrats want to properly fund schools & Republicans want to prioperly fund corporations.
Seems to me the teachers are Democrats at least the good ones LOL and the administrators are Republicans and gym teachers...

Then why you talking shit about administrators being republicans? Were you teaching in freaking Alaska or rural Montana?
Rural upstate New York five or six schools.

Because I know what I'm talking about, not just parroting High School grad bought off GOP pundits, dupe. Our problems aren't due to liberals, but due to lying scumbag GOP propaganda and idiots like you..

Last edited:

We still have 3 2 six million technical jobs going begging because the GOP blocks spending money on training and education for workers, unlike Germany, and we also don't have other government support for industry, like subsidies, all to save the greedy idiot mega-rich GOP from paying their fair share in taxes, dupe. 35 years of slowly ruining the middle class and the country. Great job GOP.

1. We'v been throwing money at "training" for decades, it's become nothing but a buzzword, not a real policy.

Bulshit idiot. Must save greedy idiot mega-rich brainwashers from paying their fair share, right dupe ? And of course we don't tax our giant corporations enough either , a subsidy in itself...

1. My point on "training" stands.

2. My point on our trade "partners" subsidizing their industry stands. YOu have not explained why we should let them fuck US.

3. We do tax corporation plenty. Does the U.S. have the highest corporate tax rate in the free world?

"But whereas the statutory rate is relatively straightforward and uncontroversial, different, reputable organizations have published very different estimates of the effective tax rate that corporations pay.

The most recent estimate comes from the World Bank and International Finance Commission, which put the United States’ effective rate for 2014 at 27.9 percent. That’s second-highest behind New Zealand among OECD countries and 15th-highest among the 189 countries measured.

In 2011, the Tax Foundation published a survey of 13 prior estimates of the United States’ effective tax rate from 2005 to 2011. All 13 studies pegged the U.S.’s rate as above average, but none had the U.S. rate first overall.

Another 2011 study by the Congressional Research Service put the U.S. effective rate at 27.1 percent, slightly lower than the OECD average of 27.7 percent."
Blah blah blah... But You dupes always talk about Airbus but Boeing very often pays nothing in taxes...Boeing Paid No Federal Income Tax Last Year: Analysis | HuffPost

"Trump's tariff threat may be timed for Pennsylvania U.S. House special election" - Reuters

Morons. If it was timed for the elections, he would have done it the first fucking week so that the effects would have been seen.

Actually, it's more that he's panicking now that the race has tightened, and the dumb rednecks in that district are realizing the jobs aren't coming back.

All valid points of discussion, but none of them address MY POINT, that just saying "automation" is NOT a reason to give up on Manufacturing.

Except no one is giving up on manufacturing.

It's just that manufacturing, due to Automation, Six Sigma, process improvement, and so on,

Plant I worked at from 2008 to 2015, they went from 300 employees down to 60 before they moved the last 60 to Malaysia. Most of these people were not white dudes who vote for Trump. Most of them were Indian and Hispanic ladies. (I used to joke that a lady named Maria Patel would be our average employee, because half of them were named Maria and half of them were named Patel).

The rest of those jobs were eliminated because we got new machines (I purchased some of them) and used 5S processes to make assembly lines more efficient.

But even with all of that, it was still cheaper to produce stuff in Malaysia.

Burbon from McConnells state of Kentucky Harleys from ah Ryans home state of Wisconsin going down

Which in no way challenges my point.

We are never going to be able to fix our trade balance, if the rest of the world is able to just take advantage of US with no push back.

Their national governments would be remiss in their own responsibility to their own citizens, if they did NOT take advantage of a fool with his money, ie US.
I’m not going to say we have some trade imbalances but there’s a right way to fix them and a wrong way. Consequences.

You would need to first point out the specific flaw and then explain how you’re gonna fix it. Trump wants to do what? Sounds like he’s not that bright. Are we going to tariff the shoe industry and help those workers?

The flaw, imo, is hidden in the details of a million pages of trade laws and regulations and subsidizes that effectively fixes the trade "game" against US.

It is a broad problem and Trump is addressing it with a broad solution.

These other nations, they didn't accidentally build trade barriers. They know what they need to do to fix it.

This is on them.

Or they can blow up world trade and see how they like that.
You really believe trumps going to do that to business and for workers?

I think Trump is the only one that even claimed he would try.
So why is his top economic advisor leaving? They say trumps talk about tariffs had something to do with it.

David dennison

"From Bush 1 to present, our Country has lost more than 55,000 factories, 6,000,000 manufacturing jobs and accumulated Trade Deficits of more than 12 Trillion Dollars. Last year we had a Trade Deficit of almost 800 Billion Dollars. Bad Policies & Leadership. Must WIN again!" - President Trump

Which in no way challenges my point.

We are never going to be able to fix our trade balance, if the rest of the world is able to just take advantage of US with no push back.

Their national governments would be remiss in their own responsibility to their own citizens, if they did NOT take advantage of a fool with his money, ie US.
I’m not going to say we have some trade imbalances but there’s a right way to fix them and a wrong way. Consequences.

You would need to first point out the specific flaw and then explain how you’re gonna fix it. Trump wants to do what? Sounds like he’s not that bright. Are we going to tariff the shoe industry and help those workers?

The flaw, imo, is hidden in the details of a million pages of trade laws and regulations and subsidizes that effectively fixes the trade "game" against US.

These other nations, they didn't accidentally build trade barriers. They know what they need to do to fix it.

This is on them.

So why is his top economic advisor leaving? They say trumps talk about tariffs had something to do with it.

David dennison

Yes, Cohn does not agree with the tariffs and also Trump did not consult any of his actual economic advisors about the tariffs, he just told the world he was going to do it. I do not blame the guy for leaving, what is the point of being an economic advisor if your advice is not sought nor followed.

President Trump has the spine to say: "wait a minute fellas, we've been taken advantage of for far too long"

This is on them.

David dennison

Yes, Cohn does not agree with the tariffs and also Trump did not consult any of his actual economic advisors about the tariffs, he just told the world he was going to do it. I do not blame the guy for leaving, what is the point of being an economic advisor if your advice is not sought nor followed.
I've read where Trump confronted Cohen and demanded he support his tariff BS .......Cohen refused to kiss the morons ring ....and trump looses a good man

Must suck being fired so many times.

This is on them.

David dennison

I've read where Trump confronted Cohen and demanded he support his tariff BS .......Cohen refused to kiss the morons ring ....and trump looses a good man
Because cheap labor does not demand fiscal ingenuity.

people get greater opportunities and move on ........son is 30 and has worked for 5 different companies each time getting a greater salary

people get greater opportunities and move on ........son is 30 and has worked for 5 different companies each time getting a greater salary
Really?
Automation reduces the need for the overall workforce.

Wait a few years and no one will hire him due to job hopping.
I’ve seen the same happen time and again.

Trump says he will impose tariffs "in a very loving way," although the tariffs say they are not allowed to discuss it or release the pictures under the terms of their NDA.

Forum List

Back