Proof How Your Religion Could Be Made Up

Another Sealy thread where we are supposed to consider absolutely nothing of substance and where he demonstrates he doesn't understand any religion he is talking about.

Nor basic scientific facts. Why is it always the self proclaimed "smart people" who are so ignorant of science?

true wisdom comes in knowing that you know nothing. Some people assume because they know a few things they are knowledgeable. But what we don't know always outweighs what we know.

I was at least hoping for an attempt to prove something.

Another Sealy thread where we are supposed to consider absolutely nothing of substance and where he demonstrates he doesn't understand any religion he is talking about.

Nor basic scientific facts. Why is it always the self proclaimed "smart people" who are so ignorant of science?

true wisdom comes in knowing that you know nothing. Some people assume because they know a few things they are knowledgeable. But what we don't know always outweighs what we know.

Exactly! The hubris of these people really astounds me!

After reading the christian Bible, many people are mystified as to why grown, otherwise intelligent adults would believe that it is the direct communication or the "inspired Word" of an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-good being. To many people, it seems absolutely incredible that any reasonable person could maintain this belief in the face of our current scientific knowledge and the contemporary understanding of history, religion and mythology. To outsiders, the phenomenon of Christian belief is a puzzlement.

However, after a bit of research and reflection, the mystery is resolved. It soon becomes apparent that the whole bizarre Christian belief system is predicated, to a large degree, on two compelling ideas. The first idea is that maintaining faith in Bible claims is the most morally virtuous act one can perform and will be rewarded with an eternal life of bliss. The second belief is that doubting biblical claims represents the greatest evil imaginable and will be punished with an eternity of torture. These linchpin beliefs make it possible for Christians to accept thoroughly ridiculous biblical assertions not merely in the absence of evidence, but against the evidence-against reason.

The sanctification of "faith" and demonization of doubt short-circuits the thinking process. Since it is continually drilled into Christians' brains that faith must be maintained at all costs, anything which contradicts a Bible claim is automatically rationalized away as the arrogance of the "wise," as a ploy of Satan, or as a test of faith from God himself. So when it is explained and demonstrated to a Christian that the Bible is simply a collection of ancient writings masquerading as the "Word of God," this is dismissed as the delusion of unbelievers blinded by their sin. When scientific discoveries are shown to clearly, directly and unambiguously contradict biblical pronouncements, these scientific discoveries are interpreted by the Christian as satanic trickery. If it is patiently and painstakingly evinced to the Christian that the Bible is filled from one end to the other with obscene cruelty and violence, pagan mythology and superstition, blatant contradictions, ludicrous claims and outrageous, blithering idiocy, the Christian smiles in the face of this, confident that his faith is being tested by God and that he will be rewarded accordingly in the Age To Come.

It must be understood that in the Alice-in-Wonderland Christian world view, the more difficult it is to believe in a biblical claim, the more one is glorified for believing it. Faith, believing no matter what the facts say, is the highest manifestation of moral righteousness. Developing and maintaining one's faith in the preposterous and the incomprehensible becomes the ultimate purpose of life. Tertullian's declaration, "I believe because it is impossible," is the boast of a man who celebrates his irrationality. While liberal Christians today may pay lip service to the notion of a reasonable faith, the sentiment of Tertullin's inane "I believe because it is impossible" is alive and well and continues to be spouted from church pulpits on Sunday mornings: "Brethren, did not Paul say that God will make foolish the wisdom of the world, and choose that which is foolish to shame the wise of the world? Brothers and Sisters, did not JEEEZ-ZUSS tell us that unless we become as little children we will never enter the kingdom of heaven, that God has chosen to hide his light from the eyes of the wise and reveal himself to babes?" Reason and knowledge are ridiculed while biblical absurdities are held aloft as bless-ed revelation. This is how Christianity sustains itself. It is the only way that it can.

and there are many of us who after reading the bible are perplexed how any intelligent person can believe it to be anything other than what it claims to be

then we've realizes they haven't actually read it, made no effort to understand what they did read and have not tested out any of the doctrines in their own life, particularly the ones that teach how to receive a witness from the Spirit.

"and there are many of us who after reading the bible are perplexed how any intelligent person can believe it to be anything other than what it claims to be."

Moslems say the same thing about their Korans, Hindu's about the
Bhagavad Gita, Buddhists about their Sutras, Mormons about their Book of Mormon, and on and on....

Let's agree that caliber of weapons and volume of fire will decide who's gawds are the true gawds.

After reading the christian Bible, many people are mystified as to why grown, otherwise intelligent adults would believe that it is the direct communication or the "inspired Word" of an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-good being. To many people, it seems absolutely incredible that any reasonable person could maintain this belief in the face of our current scientific knowledge and the contemporary understanding of history, religion and mythology. To outsiders, the phenomenon of Christian belief is a puzzlement.

However, after a bit of research and reflection, the mystery is resolved. It soon becomes apparent that the whole bizarre Christian belief system is predicated, to a large degree, on two compelling ideas. The first idea is that maintaining faith in Bible claims is the most morally virtuous act one can perform and will be rewarded with an eternal life of bliss. The second belief is that doubting biblical claims represents the greatest evil imaginable and will be punished with an eternity of torture. These linchpin beliefs make it possible for Christians to accept thoroughly ridiculous biblical assertions not merely in the absence of evidence, but against the evidence-against reason.

The sanctification of "faith" and demonization of doubt short-circuits the thinking process. Since it is continually drilled into Christians' brains that faith must be maintained at all costs, anything which contradicts a Bible claim is automatically rationalized away as the arrogance of the "wise," as a ploy of Satan, or as a test of faith from God himself. So when it is explained and demonstrated to a Christian that the Bible is simply a collection of ancient writings masquerading as the "Word of God," this is dismissed as the delusion of unbelievers blinded by their sin. When scientific discoveries are shown to clearly, directly and unambiguously contradict biblical pronouncements, these scientific discoveries are interpreted by the Christian as satanic trickery. If it is patiently and painstakingly evinced to the Christian that the Bible is filled from one end to the other with obscene cruelty and violence, pagan mythology and superstition, blatant contradictions, ludicrous claims and outrageous, blithering idiocy, the Christian smiles in the face of this, confident that his faith is being tested by God and that he will be rewarded accordingly in the Age To Come.

It must be understood that in the Alice-in-Wonderland Christian world view, the more difficult it is to believe in a biblical claim, the more one is glorified for believing it. Faith, believing no matter what the facts say, is the highest manifestation of moral righteousness. Developing and maintaining one's faith in the preposterous and the incomprehensible becomes the ultimate purpose of life. Tertullian's declaration, "I believe because it is impossible," is the boast of a man who celebrates his irrationality. While liberal Christians today may pay lip service to the notion of a reasonable faith, the sentiment of Tertullin's inane "I believe because it is impossible" is alive and well and continues to be spouted from church pulpits on Sunday mornings: "Brethren, did not Paul say that God will make foolish the wisdom of the world, and choose that which is foolish to shame the wise of the world? Brothers and Sisters, did not JEEEZ-ZUSS tell us that unless we become as little children we will never enter the kingdom of heaven, that God has chosen to hide his light from the eyes of the wise and reveal himself to babes?" Reason and knowledge are ridiculed while biblical absurdities are held aloft as bless-ed revelation. This is how Christianity sustains itself. It is the only way that it can.

and there are many of us who after reading the bible are perplexed how any intelligent person can believe it to be anything other than what it claims to be

then we've realizes they haven't actually read it, made no effort to understand what they did read and have not tested out any of the doctrines in their own life, particularly the ones that teach how to receive a witness from the Spirit.

"and there are many of us who after reading the bible are perplexed how any intelligent person can believe it to be anything other than what it claims to be."

Bhagavad Gita, Buddhists about their Sutras, Mormons about their Book of Mormon, and on and on....

Let's agree that caliber of weapons and volume of fire will decide who's gawds are the true gawds.

and yet instead of learning anything about any of them you use it as an excuse to learn nothing about any of them. And then you pretend to know more than anyone because you think yourself wiser for knowing nothing.

and yet instead of learning anything about any of them you use it as an excuse to learn nothing about any of them. And then you pretend to know more than anyone because you think yourself wiser for knowing nothing.

I fully expected you would retreat behind a wall of denial and make a weak attempt at avoiding the issue.

It's just a shame that overwhelmingly, religionists have simply accepted the religions they have been given and have never made any attempt to make a considered choice about the supernatural entities that govern their lives.

So you see, as a Zeus'ist, I'm totally perplexed as to how a Mormon'ist or any other intelligent person, can read about such things as magical golden plates and magical underwear and believe it can be anything but the inventions of a scammer.

bobo, it is too bad that your life has left you so empty. Obviously you are trying to fill the empty 'void' within yourself by dissing on those who have faith.

Do you believe in anything spiritual at all?

To suggest such a thing tells me you haven't heard one thing us atheists have said.

Just address the point. If the Mormon and Muslim faiths were completely made up so too could your religion.

And listen asshole. This is a pretty fucking big decision. If god really exists or not. If not believing will cause me to burn forever I want to investigate this god damn claim from every angle. Not just believe you and your corrupt church.

And after 30 plus years of thought I have determined you god does not exist. Sorry for trying to share this very big revelation with your dumb ass

Why does what I believe seem to upset you? Belief in God is based on faith. Either you believe, or don't believe. It's called free will. If you don't believe in God, that's your choice. If you do believe in God, that's your choice too. Take a deep breath and try to relax. Someday, you will know the truth. Hope it doesn't come as a surprise to you.
So you don't really believe intellectually. More that its better to be safe than sorry? And of course who doesn't want to go to heaven.

Stop believing whatever you want.

Somehow, it just doesn't seem like you are a person I should be taking advice from when it comes to my belief in God. We aren't on the same page - actually not even the same book. My religious beliefs serve me well. If I were you, I would spend some time talking to a priest.
I've heard enough from priests. They don't make any better arguments than their flock of sheep do.

Maybe I should go see a palm reader or fortune teller to? Or a rabbi or Muslim holy man. Every holy mans either a liar or fool. Sorry

bobo, it is too bad that your life has left you so empty. Obviously you are trying to fill the empty 'void' within yourself by dissing on those who have faith.

Do you believe in anything spiritual at all?
Study the cosmos and science and the truth is much more interesting than discussing if I'll become immortal after I die.

All I'm pointing out is that if Muslim and Mormon religions are made up so could yours be.

Do you not get this?

Wait! Did we not read it or read it and not get it or understand it? You brainwased fools. Almost funny

I fully expected you would retreat behind a wall of denial and make a weak attempt at avoiding the issue.

It's just a shame that overwhelmingly, religionists have simply accepted the religions they have been given and have never made any attempt to make a considered choice about the supernatural entities that govern their lives.

So you see, as a Zeus'ist, I'm totally perplexed as to how a Mormon'ist or any other intelligent person, can read about such things as magical golden plates and magical underwear and believe it can be anything but the inventions of a scammer.
Or that the Jesus miracle stories are no better than magic underwear stories.

And I don't want to argue which story is better. Just notice how many millions believe the Mormon story.

If we don't believe then they feel sorry for us too. Just like these stupid traditional christians.

And either they didn't read the Mormon books or they read them and don't get it.

Why don't you believe the Mormon or Muslim religions when millions of others do?

I'm not arguing that the Mormon story is better than the Jesus myth. Its way dumber. But I want to use mormonism as an example of how a lie can be told and yet millions will believe it.

If the Mormon faith is all a lie made up 215 years ago why can't christians imagine maybe Jesus didn't really perform miracles. Maybe he didn't really rise from the grave.

The virgin birth story isn't even original.

How can christians look at jehovas Muslims and Mormons and not see they're no different? It baffles me.
No theist has answerethe question.

Hollie gets in because she's a good person and god rewards intelligence.
lol....she is so screwed.....
Odd, how you religious zealots presume to speak on behalf of your gawds.
don't need a gawd to tell me you have no intelligence to reward.......
The angry fundie thing is so cute,
They can't answer the original question. Or won't. Fuck em the dopie fools.

I'm not arguing that the Mormon story is better than the Jesus myth. Its way dumber. But I want to use mormonism as an example of how a lie can be told and yet millions will believe it.

If the Mormon faith is all a lie made up 215 years ago why can't christians imagine maybe Jesus didn't really perform miracles. Maybe he didn't really rise from the grave.

The virgin birth story isn't even original.

How can christians look at jehovas Muslims and Mormons and not see they're no different? It baffles me.

If Jesus was a myth, who was it Nero was persecuting a decade before publication of any books of the new testament?

Was Nero a myth too?

The myth was spread verbally first.

I'm sure the first Muslims and Mormons were persecuted too.

So was Nero a myth or was the persecution of Christians, which was recorded by Roman historians, a myth?

No but Jesus as god was.

Don't ask me questions when you haven't even answered the original question of the thread.

Mohammad was real too. But did god talk to him?

Why does what I believe seem to upset you? Belief in God is based on faith. Either you believe, or don't believe. It's called free will. If you don't believe in God, that's your choice. If you do believe in God, that's your choice too. Take a deep breath and try to relax. Someday, you will know the truth. Hope it doesn't come as a surprise to you.
So you don't really believe intellectually. More that its better to be safe than sorry? And of course who doesn't want to go to heaven.

Somehow, it just doesn't seem like you are a person I should be taking advice from when it comes to my belief in God. We aren't on the same page - actually not even the same book. My religious beliefs serve me well. If I were you, I would spend some time talking to a priest.
I've heard enough from priests. They don't make any better arguments than their flock of sheep do.

Maybe I should go see a palm reader or fortune teller to? Or a rabbi or Muslim holy man. Every holy mans either a liar or fool. Sorry
Pick up a Bible, read the OT and try to understand without judging, and pray God does not send you to Hell. It is what I do and what I recommend.

Pick up a Bible, read the OT and try to understand without judging, and pray God does not send you to Hell. It is what I do and what I recommend.

Did you read the Koran and book of Mormons too?

I read the bible. It didn't convince me.

Funny its like you're telling me to read a fairytale and I have to read it with the mindset that its real and if I don't believe it I'll burn forever. You're dumb.

Forum List

Back