Question about God and praying for help.

PredFan

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
I'm interested in hearing from every person who believes in a God. Atheists will not be a part of this discussion.

I have had a long term discussion with people of faith on this subject but I never thought to bring it up before the people here. I always maintained that one should not ask God for things or help for yourself. I believe that you should pray for others, but not for yourself. Asking for forgiveness, sure, but don't ask for things like a promotion at work, or help with your finances, help losing weight, or even to save your marriage. Pray for others, for their marriages, their kids, maybe even their finances but not for your own.

Seems selfish to me.

What do your beliefs tell you about this?

I'm interested in hearing from every person who believes in a God. Atheists will not be a part of this discussion.

I have had a long term discussion with people of faith on this subject but I never thought to bring it up before the people here. I always maintained that one should not ask God for things or help for yourself. I believe that you should pray for others, but not for yourself. Asking for forgiveness, sure, but don't ask for things like a promotion at work, or help with your finances, help losing weight, or even to save your marriage. Pray for others, for their marriages, their kids, maybe even their finances but not for your own.

Seems selfish to me.

I believe I should seek God's help for my marriage, career, and health. Here's why. I want my family to be happy, so I pray that I will be a strong, joyful mother/wife. The qualities I pray for are to help my family. This is different from praying, "Let my husband love me better, make me happier; let my children behave."

I am a substitute teacher. Arguably, this is the hardest type of teacher to be. I wanted to be better, more effective, so that students would receive more when I am there. I began to pray. One year went by, another, and still another. I was dogged in my prayers because scripture tells us we should not give up. I could not understand why I wasn't becoming a more effective teacher. Then, at four-and-a-half years, everything clicked and fell into place.

Looking back over those years, I could see then what I was too close to see at the time. I had been given opportunities, and I had taken advantage of them, struggling through them. I did not see them as an answer to my prayers as they didn't seem to relate at all. I was too close to see the significance between my prayer and my assignments. But, when it all came together...wow. I'm now (most days) the type of substitute teacher I want students to have.

Again note: I did not pray for better students, or for students to behave better. I prayed that I might have the strength and insights to teach and manage a class. I wanted something for them, and being able to give to them has brought real blessings to me as well.

I was inspired by the Prayer of Jabez (scripture). He prayed that God might expand his territory--and God did. Unlike Jabez, my territory is not land and property. My "territory" is qualities that make for a better teacher, a better wife, a better mother. I pray for God to expand this territory, and when given the "talents" (as in the parable of the Ten Talents) pray to invest them wisely.

Isaiah 6:8 is a favorite passage of mine. God asks, "Whom shall I send?" and the response is, "Send me." Without God working within, sending a person would be utterly worthless. If we want God to send us, then we have to be open to Him working within us--and that requires openness to prayer.

I also believe it is wrong to ask God for something like better health, or that your children would stop doing drugs, or some such thing. For instance, I have a bad back and surgery could be in my future but I would never ask God to make it heal because there are so many people worse off than I am.

I have had people make pretty good cases for asking God for things. Like a promotion, for instance. I can't remember the case they made though.

I agree there is a difference between praying for a promotion for one's own benefit and seeing the promotion as a better opportunity to serve both God and man. One is "Me first." The other is, "Send me."

I also believe it is wrong to ask God for something like better health, or that your children would stop doing drugs, or some such thing. For instance, I have a bad back and surgery could be in my future but I would never ask God to make it heal because there are so many people worse off than I am.

I tend to shy away from, "Never this" or "Always that" type of reasoning. For example, Jesus was in favor of healing. While I would agree that praying for a miraculous physical healing may not be the right thing to do, opening oneself up to God's healing powers may be totally the right thing to do. For example, many people fall ill due to spiritual or mental maladies. The body is affected by what is happening in one's spirit and in one's mind/soul. So while God may not help us by regrowing a limb, He can and does help us with spirit and soul. I recommend that we ask and be open to the type of healing that is available to us via spirit and soul.

As for children on drugs: I would simply pray for God to open my eyes and to use me if/when there is some way I might be of useful help. (Keeping in mind scripture, not to nag children lest they lose heart.) Sometimes with other people's problems it is better to let go and let God.

Seems selfish to me.

Let's ask Christ:

Our Father, which art in Heaven......
Give me daily
Prepare a table for me
Lead me not into
Deliver me
Forgive me.......

The Lord's Prayer is a process divided into sections:
Praise the Father
Repent
Ask on behalf of others (intercession)
Yourself

Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God

Don't leave yourself out. You are very important to Him. He never takes His eyes off of you. If you pray for God's will in every situation, you can't go wrong and the situation could not be in better hands. Back surgery in the hands of the Great Physician = nothing to be anxious about. Give every bit of it to Him.

Last edited:

Seems selfish to me.

Is asking for healing for yourself selfish? Is asking for deliverance selfish?

I don't think it is selfish at all.

Seems selfish to me.

Is asking for healing for yourself selfish? Is asking for deliverance selfish?

I don't think it is selfish at all.

I think it is, certainly to some degree.

Wow. I may be wrong, but what I'm seeing here is some very, very low self esteem. Do you honestly believe that God would create you with the idea in mind that what He created was so loathesome that He would turn His back on you and deny you help with your personal issues if you asked?

Wow. I may be wrong, but what I'm seeing here is some very, very low self esteem. Do you honestly believe that God would create you with the idea in mind that what He created was so loathesome that He would turn His back on you and deny you help with your personal issues if you asked?

You are way off.

You are way off.

I apologize then. I just cannot fathom that someone would believe it's wrong to ask God for help for themselves.

It sounds as if you believe that God is too busy with the needs of others and doesn't have enough time to answer every prayer, Predfan. God has no limitations. Now let me ask you a question. If you knew that reading the King James (Authorized Version) Holy Bible would be health to all your bones and all your flesh - would you be willing to read the Word of God each day? Because God's promises are yea and amen. Jesus Christ never said no to anyone who asked for healing. He is still healing people today. Do you want to be healed?

It is written:

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. - Philippians 4:6

Last edited:
It is written:
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.
Proverbs 3:5,7, 8

and again it is written:

My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings. Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart. For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.
Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
Proverbs 4:20-23

He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds.
Psalm 147:3

And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee.
Exodus 15:26

And ye shall serve the LORD your God, and he shall bless thy bread, and thy water; and I will take sickness away from the midst of thee.
Exodus 23:25

And the LORD will take away from thee all sickness, and will put none of the evil diseases of Egypt, which thou knowest, upon thee; but will lay them upon all them that hate thee.
Deut. 7:15

But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
Isaiah 53:5

Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
1 Peter 2:24

Last edited:
It is written:
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.
Proverbs 3:5,7, 8

and again it is written:

My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings. Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart. For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.
Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
Proverbs 4:20-23

He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds.
Psalm 147:3

And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee.
Exodus 15:26

And ye shall serve the LORD your God, and he shall bless thy bread, and thy water; and I will take sickness away from the midst of thee.
Exodus 23:25

And the LORD will take away from thee all sickness, and will put none of the evil diseases of Egypt, which thou knowest, upon thee; but will lay them upon all them that hate thee.
Deut. 7:15

But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
Isaiah 53:5

Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
1 Peter 2:24
Jerry, you fucking better pray for help, you're so far gone that only a goddam miracle will bring you around. :lol:

Forum List

Back