Question for Gun Experts only.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
Is it possible for a round from an AK-47 to pass all the way through a person's body at 100 yards? I'm not a gun expert but everything I've read is that AK rounds are designed to disrupt but not pass through. The Arizona Rancher being charged with second degree murder of a Drug Cartel Guide is the situation related to my question.

Easily.....Hell at 100 yards even a soft point 7.62 X 39 hunting round will pass through a 175# deer hit in the boiler room and take a shoulder or rib out in the process depending on the angle of penetration......A FMJ round, zip-zip and keep trucking.

Of course there are two flavors of Soviet AK rounds 7.62 X 39 and 5.45 X 39.....5.45 X 45 is a wicked round and tends to yawl when it strikes but I suspect it would still pass through.

It (5.45 X 39) has a rearward center of gravity that sometimes causes the projectile to flip, base forward, upon impact.

AK 47 - 7.62 X39 (left)

AK-74 - 5.45 X 39 (right)

OIP.kZCt_1LNTBBeWMiVeHGLqgAAAA

5.56 NATO on left....5.45 X 39 on right

R.a0ab84be8c1c99d77b33a4562c6b268a

Last edited:
Is it possible for a round from an AK-47 to pass all the way through a person's body at 100 yards? I'm not a gun expert but everything I've read is that AK rounds are designed to disrupt but not pass through. The Arizona Rancher being charged with second degree murder of a Drug Cartel Guide is the situation related to my question.
AK rounds are 7.62mm so they have a lot of mass and speed.
An AR round would go thru you and hit bone and shatter, make a mess of you.
AK rounds are more heavy and solid and would most likely go thru everything. It all depends on what kind of round it is.
Somebody shot my weapons SGT with one and it went thru the side of the Hummer and then went completely thru his knee.

Easily.....Hell at 100 yards even a soft point will pass through a 175# deer hit in the boiler room and take a shoulder or rib out in the process depending on the angle of penetration......A FMJ round, zip-zip.
Yup. Better to use a bigger round to take down a deer than an AR which will just mangle the meat.

Soviet and Chi-Com steel core is no joke. That's why Soviet 5.45 was banned from importation.....But I bought big when it was around....I have a Bulgarian triangle side-folder to feed. ;)

p 001 (2).JPG

Not so much anymore what with the hunting ammo that has been developed. But hell I've killed several deer with a old Mini-14 using 55 gr soft points and well placed shots. No big deal at all.
Most of the hunting I did was with 30-30 Winchester lever action. Open sights. It seemed to have more knock down power than my brother's 30-06 closer in. I think it was because his would go right thru and mine was lower velocity but heavy.

I patrolled and cleared buildings in the Army with M14s, M16s, M60s and M249 SAWs. Sat in the turret with a 50cal and a Mark19.
The range ammo we got was light and cheaply made. They gave us green-tips when we went out in a Hot Zone.

Last edited:
Easily.....Hell at 100 yards even a soft point 7.62 X 39 hunting round will pass through a 175# deer hit in the boiler room and take a shoulder or rib out in the process depending on the angle of penetration......A FMJ round, zip-zip and keep trucking.

Of course there are two flavors of Soviet AK rounds 7.62 X 39 and 5.45 X 39.....5.45 X 45 is a wicked round and tends to yawl when it strikes but I suspect it would still pass through.

It (5.45 X 39) has a rearward center of gravity that sometimes causes the projectile to flip, base forward, upon impact.

AK 47 - 7.62 X39 (left)

AK-74 - 5.45 X 39 (right)

OIP.kZCt_1LNTBBeWMiVeHGLqgAAAA

5.56 NATO on left....5.45 X 39 on right

R.a0ab84be8c1c99d77b33a4562c6b268a
My nephew showed off his SKS when I visited him last. Not sure how that one fires.

I bought a new Romanian AK-47 like this one. Still haven't taken it out to shoot.

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 12-07-54 Century RI3321N WASR-10 UF 7.62x39mm 16.25 30 1 Black Black ...png

This one is my pride and joy. Finally found one. M1A Springfield

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 12-10-45 Springfield Armory MA9222 M1A Loaded Semi-Auto .308 22 10 1 ...png

I need to get a safe for all of the guns I have now.

Most of the hunting I did was with 30-30 Winchester lever action. Open sights. It seemed to have more knock down power than my brother's 30-06 closer in. It think it was because his would go right thru and mine was lower velocity but heavy.
It just seems that way.....A well designed soft point or hollow point should exit the animal. Bullet selection is everything.

Most of my early deer killing was done with a 1955 Marlin 336C "Texan" in .35 Remington using 200 gr SP fodder. I never had anything get-up when hit with it.....Always passed through too. Then again shots were usually around 100 yards. I did take my last buck with it at 140-odd yards.

DSCN5599_2.jpg

It just seems that way.....A well designed soft point or hollow point should exit the animal. Bullet selection is everything.

Most of my early deer killing was done with a 1955 Marlin 336C "Texan" in .35 Remington using 200 gr SP fodder. I never had anything get-up when hit with it.....Always passed through too. Then again shots were usually around 100 yards. I did take my last buck with it at 140-odd yards.

View attachment 813757
My brother is 13 years older than me.
I always wanted to shoot the gut-piles.
He wouldn't let me do it.

All the 7.62x39 ammo I have except for the hunting ammo is FMJ with a steel core. Here's an old steel safe I bought at a garage sale years ago and never could get opened: The front panel is 1/4" steel and the rest of the body is thinner. I shot it from 25 yards and the rounds made nice craters in the front like it was liquid, but didn't go through the back. These were doing about 1550 fps, would still be doing about 1200 fps at 100 yards, and would still have about 1000 ft. lbs. of energy at that range.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

Yes. Quite easily. If it hits center mass into a rib, and then deflects into the spine that will most likely stop it, but if all you hit is meat, then yeah.

It will zip right through.

All the 7.62x39 ammo I have except for the hunting ammo is FMJ with a steel core. Here's an old steel safe I bought at a garage sale years ago and never could get opened: The front panel is 1/4" steel and the rest of the body is thinner. I shot it from 25 yards and the rounds made nice craters in the front like it was liquid, but didn't go through the back. These were doing about 1550 fps, would still be doing about 1200 fps at 100 yards, and would still have about 1000 ft. lbs. of energy at that range.

View attachment 813760
View attachment 813761
View attachment 813762
View attachment 813763
OK, so....

R.5c6a435e3b7537deef2abeb572959e3d

View attachment 813760
View attachment 813761
View attachment 813762
View attachment 813763
Must have been a few years ago.

Yes. Quite easily. If it hits center mass into a rib, and then deflects into the spine that will most likely stop it, but if all you hit is meat, then yeah.

It will zip right through.
I shot a deer running away from me, right up the asshole. About 80 meters away.

Only target I had. Kind of messed up his hindquarters.
Took him half an hour to die.
I wanted to shoot him in the head to stop him from screaming but my brother once again said no.

One of the reasons I don't hunt anymore. Besides the fact that I don't like venison anyway. I like shooting, but not killing. If I had to do it to eat I'd do it, no problem.

At least 10 years ago, I don't remember exactly. My back yard is full of worthless junk that ended up being targets.

:laughing0301:
I'd set up steel targets or cheap liter bottles of soda pop.

Saw this video the other day of some kid throwing an axe at one of those exercise balls and it hit dead center handle first.
Bounced straight back and almost took off his ear.

Last edited:
I shot a deer running away from me, right up the asshole. About 80 meters away.

Only target I had. Kind of messed up his hindquarters.
Took him half an hour to die.
I wanted to shoot him in the head to stop him from screaming but my brother once again said no.

One of the reasons I don't hunt anymore. Besides the fact that I don't like venison anyway. I like shooting, but not killing. If I had to do it to eat I'd do it, no problem.

Venison gets gamey because most hunters don't kill them fast enough. If you get a one, or two step kill you don't get the flood of adrenaline that makes the meat taste bad.

Your brother not letting you put the poor thing out of its misery was cruel to both you, and the dear.

Forum List

Back