Question for those pushing a "living wage"

In another thread someone claimed that people have a right to be paid enough to support a family. I'd like to hear input from others on this.

Does a person with a paper route have the right to be paid enough to support a family?

Should a grocery bagger get paid enough to support a family?

What is the lowest level of job where you think the employers should be required to pay their employees enough to support a family? And how large of a family should this job be able to support?

If my brother quit his computer job and went to work as a Wal-Mart stocker, should he be able to expect Wal-Mart to pay him enough to support his six children?
In the 50's a person working at a bagel shop made enough to purchase a home, 2 cars and put 2 children through college on that income.

Something has changed folks and it's not work ethic.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

ROFL they told you they were selling bagels and you believed it?

In another thread someone claimed that people have a right to be paid enough to support a family. I'd like to hear input from others on this.

Does a person with a paper route have the right to be paid enough to support a family?

What is the lowest level of job where you think the employers should be required to pay their employees enough to support a family? And how large of a family should this job be able to support?

If my brother quit his computer job and went to work as a Wal-Mart stocker, should he be able to expect Wal-Mart to pay him enough to support his six children?
In the 50's a person working at a bagel shop made enough to purchase a home, 2 cars and put 2 children through college on that income.

In the 50's, there were Jim Crow laws. Do you want to return to the 50's?

So, you are against against a mandated pay raise for millions of fellow Americans. Not only that but you 'd be in favor of vacating the current minimum wage law , allowing wages to spiral infinitely downward. Yet you are a friend of labor and supportive of labor, and would not deny them a raise if offered it by their employer.

With friends like you, who needs enemies?

WHAT Gives the Federal government, or ANY government the right to force businesses to pay what the government dictates? Can YOU cite that in the Constitution?

NO, you cannot.

Government regulates commerce

14th due process clause (government can take your property with due process)... 16th taxing amendment.

ROFL they told you they were selling bagels and you believed it?
Yes, it's called honest work for honest pay. The foundation of the American Dream. That's what this country was about.

What happened?

So, you are against against a mandated pay raise for millions of fellow Americans. Not only that but you 'd be in favor of vacating the current minimum wage law , allowing wages to spiral infinitely downward. Yet you are a friend of labor and supportive of labor, and would not deny them a raise if offered it by their employer.

WHAT Gives the Federal government, or ANY government the right to force businesses to pay what the government dictates? Can YOU cite that in the Constitution?

NO, you cannot.

Wrong, government is only suppose to regulate interstate commerce. Would have nothing to do with local employment contracts.

Your reading comprehension skills need work. I am not opposed to higher wages, I am OPPOSED TO GOVERNMENT MANDATED WAGE RATES AT ANY LEVEL.

And no, I did not say the poor are poor because they have no marketable skills, I said MANY of the poor are poor because they have no marketable skills.

Being poor does not prevent anyone from obtaining marketable skills. Like everything else in life, one has to work at getting what one wants.

You break the poverty loop - You pay them.

However, I expect you are one of them.

So if I can do a job for 5 dollars an hour and that pay would meet my needs, I shouldn't have the ability to negotiate with the employer to get the job?

That pay would not meet your needs. Nor would any but a desperate man enter into that agreement .

NO, you cannot.

Wrong, government is only suppose to regulate interstate commerce. Would have nothing to do with local employment contracts.

His revisionist history book told him otherwise.

So if I can do a job for 5 dollars an hour and that pay would meet my needs, I shouldn't have the ability to negotiate with the employer to get the job?

That pay would not meet your needs. Nor would any but a desperate man enter into that agreement .
Then WHY do they enter into it?

This shit isn't hard, son.:eusa_hand:

You make an interesting point

But as a follow up. If your employee doesn't earn enough to support himself, should the taxpayer make up the difference?

Should an employer have the taxpayers support his employees just so that he can profit off of substandard wages?

If you're working you should not get taxpayer subsidies.

But as a follow up. If your employee doesn't earn enough to support himself, should the taxpayer make up the difference?

Should an employer have the taxpayers support his employees just so that he can profit off of substandard wages?

I agree......you should make enough to support yourself

If you're NOT working you should not get taxpayer subsidies.
Just making it equal for workers and non-workers.

I'll say it again.. Minimum wage should not be to support a family of 4 independently with no other job.. especially to have a place of your own, luxuries like cable, internet, cell phone, going out to eat, etc etc etc.. I remember moving out on my own the first time in 1988 working 2 ABOVE minimum jobs to SHARE an apartment, utilities, and food bills with 2 other roommates.. as it should be with the lowest level jobs... you want a family, private place to live, and luxuries.. do something to EARN more

This notion that the lowest rungs deserve luxuries is ridiculous

Why?

Forum List

Back