Question for those who believe in evolution and people are born gay.

If you believe in Darwin's evolution theory, and you believe that homosexual people are born that way then...

...what is the evolutionary benefit of homosexuality? Just curious.

What makes you think that nature is perfect? There natural aberrations all the time.

I no more chose to be heterosexual than gay people choose to be homosexual.

You see, that is why I mentioned Darwin, who explains that evolution is a process of mutation in trial and error where the stronger overcomes the weak over time. I am not personally saying anything out of that context whatsoever and I do not appreciate you stretching my question to imply that.

Also, forgive my assumptions as I was under the impression that gay activists believed that homosexuality is an appropriate and natural course for our continuing evolution.

Last edited:
Probably none. There is evidence that at least some homosexuals are born with a chemical imbalance in the brain (like this), so some may consider it a defect (similar to, say, a propensity for migraine headaches). And, if true, discriminating against them would be as silly as discriminating against someone because they have a headache.

People seek help for headaches

Agreed. Some even seek help for homosexuality and become heterosexuals.

Gotta cure the Gay

Praying to Jesus usually helps.

I worry that posters like xsited1 and RD could somehow catch the gay and become homosexuals. With expanded gay rights and God forbid...GAY MARRIAGE their gay affliction could be passed on

I worry that posters like xsited1 and RD could somehow catch the gay and become homosexuals. With expanded gay rights and God forbid...GAY MARRIAGE their gay affliction could be passed on

How can I catch what we are either born with or not?

If you believe in Darwin's evolution theory, and you believe that homosexual people are born that way then...

there isn't one.

but i don't care. MOST gays are decent people. MOST gays are much nicer people than most conservatives (what is the evolutionary benefit of being mean rotten, vile, hatefilled scum?)

in that typical conservative ignorant manner you seem to think that evolution must mean that ONLY straight people survive and evolve.

ridiculous

evolution/evolving doesn't always mean that we are evolving in one direction

the process of evolution can lead down many paths

How can I catch what we are either born with or not?

I don't know RD......
It could happen. You start having homoerotic fantasies, start wearing more and more leather and before you know it.....You have caught the GAY

You can't be too careful

Probably none. There is evidence that at least some homosexuals are born with a chemical imbalance in the brain (like this), so some may consider it a defect (similar to, say, a propensity for migraine headaches). And, if true, discriminating against them would be as silly as discriminating against someone because they have a headache.

So does that mean that homosexuality would qualify as a diagnosis for FMLA, which protects employees from being terminated for debilitating medical conditions?

So does that mean that homosexuality would qualify as a diagnosis for FMLA, which protects employees from being terminated for debilitating medical conditions?

Serious question, could you provide some examples of what is exactly "debilitating" about being a homosexual?

>>>>

Last edited:
If you believe in Darwin's evolution theory,

While Darwin originally posited evolutionary theory, it has progressed well beyond the understanding of his day. Modern evolutionary theory based on population dynamics and genetics is pretty solid. Take two organisms, combine DNA, shake well to produce an offspring. Does that offspring contain the exact DNA as either parent? No the genetic's are a combination of both.

and you believe that homosexual people are born that way then...

My belief? I think it's possibly a combination of one or more of the following: genetic (DNA), environmental (both in vitro and developmental hormos), and emotional.

Just because something is biological in nature does not mean it has to be an evolutionary benefit. From a population standpoint, it can be beneficial, detrimental, or neutral. Given that the estimated world population at 3/23/2011 @ 01:00 UTC was 6,907,460,293. I don't think that homosexuality would be the cause of human extinction.

Now in the past, when proto-humans existed in small groups and prior to the development of a reasonable level of intelligence, it could have been a beneficial manifestation toward survival of the group. It is possible that these proto-humans existed in nomadic groups where there may have been an Alpha male who reserved all the breeding for himself amonst his "harem". Having other males around that desired the "harem" would be a challenge, but they assisted in providing group defense in case of trouble (predatory animals or even other nomadic groups). The male might desire to eliminate competition. On the other hand a homosexual would be able to assist with group defense while not being a threat from a breeding standpoint. As a result eliminating competition could have cause perpetuation on a genetic level. (Instead of a large number of males breeding with a large number of females, you have a single (or small number) of males breeding with a large number of females. Smaller permutation of possible gene distribution could have caused early reinforcement of a genetic code that could be triggered to generate a biological propensity toward homosexuality.

[Disclaimer: The question was based on the hypothetical, which is the basis of this response.]

>>>>

Serious question, could you provide some examples of what is exactly "debilitating" about being a homosexual?

>>>>

Probably nothing.

My statement was more of a response to the statement by xsited1:

"And, if true, discriminating against them would be as silly as discriminating against someone because they have a headache."

People with severe headaches cannot be descriminated against.

Evolution moves so slowly we are unable to perceive it. Medical science tells us, for example, that the appendix is a remnant of a long unneeded organ. Is it? Or is it an evolving one that will be part of a next evolutionary step? They really don't know. They believe they know, however.

I have always believed and said homosexuals might represent our future, the next step in our evolution, to a more efficient propagator. Nature is full of examples of more efficient reproduction than humans, who's to say we're ahead of the evolutionary curve in that respect, and not way behind instead? Vanity tells us so and vanity is usually wrong.

If we believe in evolution, then we must also believe homo sapiens aren't immune to it, and are continually evolving as well. It's just happening on the cosmic clock scale, not our Timex's and calendars.

I don't consider homosexuality debilitating, although many people would.

A recent study by Camperio Ciani finally discovered the genetic advantage of genes related to homosexuality in males. Ciani demonstrated that women in a maternal line of homosexual men are on average more fertile than females who aren’t related to male homosexuals. As a result, these women pass on genetic material linked to homosexuality in males and hyper-fertility in females at higher rates.
This is an example of sexually antagonistic selection, which is a type of selection that gives a reproductive advantage to one sex while disadvantaging the other. Consequently, the genes related to homosexuality are not detrimental in terms of fertility, as they give a reproductive advantage to female carries. As of yet, homosexuality is the first example of sexually antagonistic selection in humans, but others are sure to be found.
http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/da...election-the-evolution-of-male-homosexuality/

Last edited:
Liberty demands everyone justify their evolutionary value to the species?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Darwin-Hitler-Evolutionary-Eugenics-Germany/dp/1403965021]Amazon.com: From Darwin to Hitler: Evolutionary Ethics, Eugenics, and Racism in Germany (9781403965028): Richard Weikart: Books[/ame]

Forum List

Back