R.I.P. Andy Griffith

And yet, it's factual.

No, it's bullshitual. Specifically a generalization fallacy based on a post hoc. Whether one heard or did not hear of Andy Griffith's passing has everything to do with what one was doing that day, and nothing to do with fantasies of "progressives". Only a partisan hack could contrive a way to connect the two. Pathetic.

That day? Surely you jest. It was worldwide news and there were at least three days of coverage on it. I will grant you that having such a small sample size limits the accuracy of the observation, but it was interesting that the progressives didn't know but the centrists and conservatives did.

That is a statement of fact. I then presented a hypothesis about why that might have occurred. Some of it was tongue in cheek, but there is an underlying truth to it as well. That is not partisan, that is simple fact.

Worldwide news? No. Especially not for 3 days. I have known a lot of people from the UK, for example, people I've known well personally and colleagues, while I've been overseas. These people don't even know who Andy Griffith was nor are they familiar with the program about Mayberry, NC. It wasn't 'worldwide' news because he was not a worldwide figure. Another instance of an American thinking the USA is the center of the world. I specifically remember mentioning the character Andy Griffith, from that program , to a man from the UK whom I was involved with, and he had no idea what I was talking about.

Again, being aware of world events is not being aware of American entertainment news. For example, I carpool everyday with a woman from Lebanon. Because of that, I know a lot about the ME, the Shia-Sunni conflict, Hamas, etc. But she also would have no idea who Andy Griffith is. He is not known much outside of the US.

As well, it wasn't just the left side who didn't know Mr. Griffith had died. There is at least one post in this thread by a person from the right which indicates that person also did not know this news was 2 years old.

Your hypothesis is total BS. Self serving nonsense.

Last edited:
This bickering over Andy Griffith is silly. He's dead. Most of us knew. Some didn't. Some jokes were said that were damn funny. It doesn't hurt Andy. End of story.

Some people didn't know. Some did but appreciated his condolences to a beloved actor.

I concede that Westwall is the absolute internet thread expert on Andy Griffith.

If it will explain anything, I will now reveal my ultimate secret. I got so disgusted with cable television 4 years ago that I canceled it, and have not watched TV news in over three years. I consider it mindless chatter. I watch Netflix. No, I don't need CNN OR Fox news feeding me their propaganda. I have not seen a decent news broadcast since Cronkite retired. I got a haircut today, and a couple of people were talking about Andy Griffith passing. I looked on my internet news page, but found nothing. I Googled it, and found the news story, but failed to read the date.

So have me shot as an under informed Progressive.

I might as well admit this, too. I have absolutely no idea of the title to a single song that was performed by the Ramones.

Personally, I thought the Ramones were weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
All that being said, Andy's passing was still news to me. I just watched his last movie, "Play the Game" last month. I followed his career, being a fellow Southerner, from the mid 50's until his death. I remember his first comedy album, and saw "No Time For Sergeants" in the late 50's. "A Face in the Crowd" was brilliant. The Andy Griffith show was a tranquil glimpse of a fast disappearing time, when the world was turning upside down in the 1960's, with drugs, Hippies, and Vietnam. As untimely as my thread is, I will miss him very much. The truth is that Andy was never the simple backwoods hick that he portrayed, He was a very good actor, and most people thought that he wasn't acting.

Andy was awesome. And lucky us..we get to see him whenever we want thanks to film. :)

No Time For Sargeants is hubby's fav movie. Even to this day, he will say "That sounds fameeeelyer!". lol

I saw a documentary about the Andy Griffith Show. Andy gave most of the credit for the success of the show to Don Knotts, who won 5 Emmy's for his portrayal of Barney Fife. He knew that when Knotts left, the show was doomed. Interestingly enough, everybody, including Knotts, Andy and Jim Nabors agreed that the woman that played Aunt Bea was a "piece of work", and did not like Andy at all. She was extremely difficult to work with. Nabors said that someone said a word on the set that she found offensive, and she hit the offender over the head as hard as she could with her umbrella. When she was terminally ill, she called Andy and apologized to him for being so hard on him.

Wow, what a bunch of jerks. Though this thread is not a current event, there are those who were not aware of Mr. Griffiths' death. It is still essentially a memorial thread. Turning it into a joke thread or using it to flame other posters is contemptible.

I did not know you were capable of such tender sensitivity, based on all your posts regarding everyone who dares to differ from you politically.

Way to go!

All that being said, Andy's passing was still news to me. I just watched his last movie, "Play the Game" last month. I followed his career, being a fellow Southerner, from the mid 50's until his death. I remember his first comedy album, and saw "No Time For Sergeants" in the late 50's. "A Face in the Crowd" was brilliant. The Andy Griffith show was a tranquil glimpse of a fast disappearing time, when the world was turning upside down in the 1960's, with drugs, Hippies, and Vietnam. As untimely as my thread is, I will miss him very much. The truth is that Andy was never the simple backwoods hick that he portrayed, He was a very good actor, and most people thought that he wasn't acting.

They should remake that movie and call it "The Rush Limbaugh Story"

Forum List

Back