Rain God is offensive to Christian

What if some state issued a private license plate with the Virgin Mary or the Christian Cross? The ACLU would have buses of lawyers enroute to the state capital.

What if he were Native American and didn't want to display a Christian image on his car?

Or an atheist who didn't want anyone's religious symbols on his car?

Why do we give lip service to the First Amendment and yet insist on forcing others to go our way or, no pun intended, the highway?

What if some state issued a private license plate with the Virgin Mary or the Christian Cross? The ACLU would have buses of lawyers enroute to the state capital.

And every true patriot would be right there with them.

Same if Mississippi issues plate with KKK on them or the Giant Spaghetti Monster.

The First Amendment applies equally to all of us and to all beliefs. WHY can't rw's GET THAT???

Oklahoma
from Choctaw, lit. "red people," from okla "nation, people" + homma "red." Coined by Choctaw scholar Allen Wright, later principal chief of the Choctaw Nation, and first used in the Choctaw-Chickasaw treaty of April 28, 1866.

Same if Mississippi issues plate with KKK on them or the Giant Spaghetti Monster.

The First Amendment applies equally to all of us and to all beliefs. WHY can't rw's GET THAT???

Correction. The First Amendment doesn't apply to Christians. Why can't you get that??

A true patriot would defend the rights of everyone to practice their faith. Even Thomas Jefferson, who personally didn't believe in the miracles of Christ, let the Danbury Baptists know that the establishment clause was there to protect them from the government, not the other way around.

What a beautiful plate. This litigation is brought by someone who really doesn't understand Christ or his teaching.

I find this awesome. But then I'm a different sort of Christian.

Who can call this vile in the name of our Lord? Only a fool.

628x314xok-archer-plate-628.jpg.pagespeed.ic.d_27OxWiKl.jpg

And where exactly does it say the plate is commemorating the rain god? The image on the plate looks to me like it's just a stance that any Indian would take if he were shooting a bow and arrow. I don't know much about Indians, but couldn't that plate just as easily depict the buffalo god? Or no god at all? Just a native American, period?

I rest my case. The supreme court justice who wrote the majority opinion that led to the modern version of "separation church/state" in 1948 (that the left relies on today) was a member of the KKK appointed by FDR. The incident opens up an argument that the left was unprepared for. Most Christians have no problem with Native American beliefs and I'm sure the good people of Okla. never thought there would be a problem with the license plate. On the other hand any politician today would have his reputation virtually stoned to death if he suggested that an image of an early Christian Friar or even an ancient symbol of Christian beliefs would be part of a state license plate these days

It's not a rain God. It's a warrior shooting an arrow to God for rain.....

So would we be okay with a depiction of a child saying her prayers or a nun the rosary?

Being from Oklahoma and part Cherokee, I find it most disturbing to see another holy white man wanting to still suppress public view of American Natives, wasn't stealing our land, making our ancestors walk hundreds of miles to resettle, losing many lives on the trip enough sacrifice to at least be recognized on an auto tag?

Being from Oklahoma and part Cherokee, I find it most disturbing to see another holy white man wanting to still suppress public view of American Natives, wasn't stealing our land, making our ancestors walk hundreds of miles to resettle, losing many lives on the trip enough sacrifice to at least be recognized on an auto tag?

I find it disturbing that a part Cherokee would use a cartoon character that drops his drawers in monotonous regularity but I guess the modern part Indians are only offended when the situation is right.

I find it disturbing that a part Cherokee would use a cartoon character that drops his drawers in monotonous regularity but I guess the modern part Indians are only offended when the situation is right.

Bart's crack never, killed, stole or dehumanized any white people.

Bart's crack never, killed, stole or dehumanized any white people.

Ah, the sacred crack of Bart Simpson. Pop-culture is the new native religion.

It appears to me that Oklahoma, like almost every other state, offers a variety of license plates to its residents. Someone who wants to make an issue out of the plate in question has got to be a moron - or he has someone else ghostwriting his sermons while he sits and finds fault. If he's a minister, then he's in the wrong profession.

oklahoma license plates - Bing Images

Let's see if this suit goes anywhere. The guy that filed it is a moron.

Native American gods are just as legitimate as any other gods. They are the only non-illegal aliens here as well.

(My bold)

Yah, the gods of the Native Peoples are as legitimate as any. More so, if you count primogeniture.

Are the Native People aliens? Not here. If you want to see aliens in the Americas, go find a mirror. Unless you're a descendent of the Native People yourself, you're the alien. (& so are most of us, truth be told.)

It appears to me that Oklahoma, like almost every other state, offers a variety of license plates to its residents. Someone who wants to make an issue out of the plate in question has got to be a moron - or he has someone else ghostwriting his sermons while he sits and finds fault. If he's a minister, then he's in the wrong profession.

You missed the point and so did I at first. The Ok. license plate in question is not "offered". It's the plate you get for the basic fee. The person who brought suit objected to the spiritual nature of the license plate that he would be forced to use unless he shelled out more money for a specialty plate. The concept is interesting because the ACLU apparently hasn't noticed a gigantic breach of the modern concept of "separation of church/state". The theory is that Native American spirituality is less offensive than the 2,000 years of Christian spirituality.

Through a series of articles I read, the moron's issue is not about the State's basic version of the plate.
It's about having to pay more for a plate that has "In God We Trust" on it.

You might think that, but, Okies are a breed apart from most

The person who brought suit objected to the spiritual nature of the license plate that he would be forced to use unless he shelled out more money for a specialty plate.

But it does not exhibit spiritual-ness (is that even a word?). It is a NA shooting an arrow. Looking at it for the first time, one does not see rain god or anything else. At least, I didn't.

The pic of the NA is supposedly of a statue. I will see if I can find out who the artist is that made the original that Oklahoma chose to put on a plate.

Forum List

Back