Raise the minimum wage

So tell me, what is the difference between raising the minimum wage by a couple of dollars, vs. by a couple hundred of dollars?

The difference is that indirectly we are paying workers $12/hr through government subsidies. Raising minimum wage above $12/hr would cause inflation. Anything below that has no effect on inflation. The "Takers" already live a $12/hr lifestyle paid for by tax payers. It's time for their employers to pay instead of us tax payers.

Whats the point of raising the minimum wage here in the States? Most the shit we buy is made by Chinese slaves making 5 cents a day.

Whats the point of raising the minimum wage here in the States? Most the shit we buy is made by Chinese slaves making 5 cents a day.

The point is that Big Box retailers like Walmart pay minimum wage like $7.25/hr to their employees to peddle that Chinese crap to US buyers. The true cost of those employees is $12/hr & is paid for by US Tax Payers. US tax payers are forced to subsidize retailers who import from China & put US citizens out of work whether we choose to shop there or not.

[ So tell me, what is the difference between raising the minimum wage by a couple of dollars, vs. by a couple hundred of dollars?

$180 an hour, $7200 a week, $374,400 a year.

That you didn't know that is not even surprising at this point.

Waging War on Work - Nicholas Freiling - Mises Daily

The fact is, many such advocates choose to ignore economic reality in favor of more “nuanced” arguments. Consider attorney and writer Carolyn Rosenblatt. In a Forbes.com column published last winter advocating minimum wage for home care workers, she writes,

For anyone who might think [extending minimum wage to home care workers] is not a good idea or that it puts too much burden on the small business employer who has to pay more now to the worker, think about this: would you want your aging loved one to stay in his or her home as long as possible? Are you willing to do all the physical chores of care-giving yourself?

For Rosenblatt, economic law, small business, and market forces are not important. What matters for her (and her intellectual allies) is cognitive resonance—feeling like home care workers are paid as much as she thinks they deserve, all the while refusing to acknowledge that wages are market prices determined by supply and demand.

Arguments like this are all too common among proponents of minimum wage. They acknowledge the economic problems with their ideas yet advocate them anyway. There is no other explanation. While Rosenblatt and those like her may have the best of intentions, their willful ignorance of economic reality is blatant and hardly forgivable.

Substitute Rosenblatt with NYCarbineer and you have my rebuttal. Or just consider NYCarbineer an "intellectual" ally of Rosenblatt.

Look at the unemployment rates amng those most affected by min wage, e.g. black teenagers. Currently is over 20%. It will correlate somewhat with min wage rises, and it has. So if we raise the min wage rate we will prevent more black teens from getting jobs and getting started with their careers. This way they can drop out, sling dope, and become wards of the state. And Dem voters, of course.

Only an idiot thinks raising the min wage will accomplish anything.

I believe the unemployment rate for black teenagers is at around 40%, Rabbi...much worse than you thought. Raising the minimum wage will simply raise that unemployment number as well.
So....you feel they've got an obligation to maintain their present "lifestyle".....so as to keep your fast-food prices to a minimum.....huh??

So tell me, what is the difference between raising the minimum wage by a couple of dollars, vs. by a couple hundred of dollars?

The difference is that indirectly we are paying workers $12/hr through government subsidies. Raising minimum wage above $12/hr would cause inflation.

When was the last time that happened?????

Let's see your numbers.

[ So tell me, what is the difference between raising the minimum wage by a couple of dollars, vs. by a couple hundred of dollars?

$180 an hour, $7200 a week, $374,400 a year.

That you didn't know that is not even surprising at this point.

Waging War on Work - Nicholas Freiling - Mises Daily

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....a college-"man", huh??

Nicholas Freiling is a freelance writer, student of economics at Grove City College and alumnus of Mises University 2011. He is currently Editor-in-chief of The Collegian.

Yeah.....definitely the "voice of experience"!!!!!!

handjob.gif

If an employer with 50 employees says I'm not going to cost my business $223,912 more what will the employer do?

He will find ways to AUTOMATE and replace at least 10 employees to save the $223,000!!!

So the issue is will it cause a recession? Letting people go will NOT put money into the economy!

An employer decision to AUTOMATE is only slightly based on wages. It is mostly based on if the technology is available that can serve their customers needs better than their current employees & at a cost effective price.

The more workers we can get off the government tit the better for the economy & employers tax rates.

NO one disputes that last statement! GEEZ without employers who hire people who BOTH pay SS/Medicare payroll taxes which constitutes 37% of Federal Tax revenue we are in big trouble which we are BECAUSE there are fewer people working!

Other then wages, what is the biggest expense for businesses?

The whole concept of automation is to replace workers who are more prone to errors, and now cost more!

I was in a Jack in the box the other day and INSIDE they have a kiosk to order your food and PAY!
Reduces people working at the counter!

So what is left is the delivery system!

FWIW there is no way an increase will be passed - no way - and Obama knows it. He just pandering to the bottom of the economic barrell who supported him so heavily.

The difference is that indirectly we are paying workers $12/hr through government subsidies. Raising minimum wage above $12/hr would cause inflation.

Let's see your numbers.

<tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick>.....​

Look at the unemployment rates amng those most affected by min wage, e.g. black teenagers. Currently is over 20%. It will correlate somewhat with min wage rises, and it has. So if we raise the min wage rate we will prevent more black teens from getting jobs and getting started with their careers. This way they can drop out, sling dope, and become wards of the state. And Dem voters, of course.

Only an idiot thinks raising the min wage will accomplish anything.

of course you mean that which will accomplish anything positive for America.....however none of these sensible arguments matter to BO and his minions....

because this 'idiot-in-office' is deliberately proposing this idiocy in order to achieve his own anti-American marxist ends....

1. it hurts the struggling middle class (which he is trying to destroy)
2. it hurts the economy (which he is trying to destroy)
3. it hurts small businesses (which he is trying to destroy)

4. it creates dependency upon Big Government (which he is trying to expand)
5. it creates more dependency votes for Dimwits (which he trying to expand)
6. it creates more class warfare (which he is trying to expand)
7. it creates more poor people...the 'proloteriat' (which he is trying to expand)
8. it creates the illusion that he is 'helping' the poor (an illusion he is trying to expand)

Asking why the minimum wage shouldn't be $15 or $20 or $30 an hour seems reasonable to me. Where, precisely, is the line drawn, and (here's a great question) who gets to draw it?

But here's the question I have: What, exactly, is a "living wage"?

• Is it for one person working, or two?
  • I pay around $400 a month for all our cell phones. Is that a right when calculating this?
  • What about payments on credit cards being rung up on iPhones, video games, vacations and cool clothes?
  • What about that $450 car payment you have instead of being smart and getting a more reasonably-priced car?
  • What about booze, partying, eating out, movies whenever you feel like it?
  • I assume Christmas and birthday presents should be factored in, right?
  • What about geography? Some places are far more expensive to live in than others.
In other words, some people are far more responsible with a dollar than others. So precisely how are we to determine what an adequate "living wage" is for everyone? Since we're making up arbitrary numbers for what a "living wage" is, shouldn't we examine the other end of the balance sheet as well?

And who makes all these decisions?

Are these not reasonable questions?

Raising the minimum wage does not cause recessions.

Well raising the minimum wage to $9.00 an hour will after deducting payroll taxes leave $3,841.76 more to be spent in the economy.
What it cost the employer though is $4,478 (people seem to forget Employer matches employee's payroll taxes)
So while the employee has $3,841 more employer has $4,478 less or a loss to the economy of:$636 per employee.
If an employer with 50 employees says I'm not going to cost my business $223,912 more what will the employer do?

He will find ways to AUTOMATE and replace at least 10 employees to save the $223,000!!!

So the issue is will it cause a recession? Letting people go will NOT put money into the economy!

I'm curious...the money being spent by those making more per hour...does that money evaporate or does it stay in the economy?

I dont know what you mean by "stay in the economy." Presumably they spend it or save it.
But that is offset by the people who were making $8/hr and got laid off because their jobs weren't worth more.
And that doesn't includ the people currently jobless who will remain so because a job that might have been created is now too expensive.

Asking why the minimum wage shouldn't be $15 or $20 or $30 an hour seems reasonable to me. Where, precisely, is the line drawn, and (here's a great question) who gets to draw it?

But here's the question I have: What, exactly, is a "living wage"?

• Is it for one person working, or two?
  • I pay around $400 a month for all our cell phones. Is that a right when calculating this?
  • What about payments on credit cards being rung up on iPhones, video games, vacations and cool clothes?
  • What about that $450 car payment you have instead of being smart and getting a more reasonably-priced car?
  • What about booze, partying, eating out, movies whenever you feel like it?
  • I assume Christmas and birthday presents should be factored in, right?
  • What about geography? Some places are far more expensive to live in than others.
In other words, some people are far more responsible with a dollar than others. So precisely how are we to determine what an adequate "living wage" is for everyone? Since we're making up arbitrary numbers for what a "living wage" is, shouldn't we examine the other end of the balance sheet as well?

And who makes all these decisions?

Are these not reasonable questions?

Good points. The progressive response is "To each according to his need from each according to his ability."
Oh, that's the Marxist response. Same thing.

The better question is why we need a minimum wage at all.

It will have the same effect that all entitlements have... it will induce more people to aspire to minimum wage level jobs.

Last edited:

Let's see your numbers. <tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick>.....

I don't know if minimum wage has ever caused wage push inflation. But the last time wages rose was 1997 - 2003 & pre 1973

Real%20Hourly%20Earnings.png

Last edited:
It is a myth that raising minimum wages cause inflation.

A cherished myth, too, I note.

the minumum wage ought to be set by the CPI.

And the CPI ought to reflect the real cost of living, which let's face it, right now it does NOT.

for instance.,..does anyone here really think that the cost of living only went up 1.7% last year?

That's what our state economists want us to believe.

I'm curious, do you think there are any negative repercussions of raising the minimum wage? If not, why stop at CPI? Why not make everyone comfortably middle class?

Just a thought. Raising the minimum wage will put a lot of illegal aliens out of work and maybe they will self deport. Will not affect americans because they don't do those jobs anyway? Can you imagine, $10 an hour flipping hamburgers? Delivering news papers? Babysitting? Cutting lawns? These jobs were never meant to take care of a family but to supplement elderly and teen agers income. But illegal aliens have taken those jobs and now OBama want to pay them more.

Forum List

Back