Raise the minimum wage

Minimum wage is not to be a living wage.. it is a STARTER wage... for the ones with zero experience, just beginning their working careers...

This is a simple concept that left wingers just cannot seem to understand

A person working full time on minimum wage should be expected to live on it. If you Americans can't get that through your heads, there is something wrong.

Why don't we raise it to $20 an hour. Then we'll all be rich, right?

Who is going to pay you $20 an hour to wash dishes? There are always going to be low wage jobs because GOD meant it to be that way so he would be right when he said the "poor will alway be with us." want to make GOD a liar? I am beginning to worry about my boy's sanity.

Why don't we raise it to $20 an hour. Then we'll all be rich, right?

Who is going to pay you $20 an hour to wash dishes? There are always going to be low wage jobs because GOD meant it to be that way so he would be right when he said the "poor will alway be with us." want to make GOD a liar? I am beginning to worry about my boy's sanity.

What makes anyone think that giving an adult $7.50 an hour is okay?

All you need to do is scrap the employer paying health insurance for their employees, pay them more, and let them buy their own insurance.

But it would seem that the employer in the US doesn't give a shit about their workers, all they seem to care about is getting in the cheapest workers so they can put an extra million in their already fat pockets.

Minimum wage is not to be a living wage.. it is a STARTER wage... for the ones with zero experience, just beginning their working careers...

It's their plan to move people off welfare.<sarc>

Thats totally false. For many people it is a living wage. Thats the problem. It is a living wage for many people. There are lot people who are stuck at minimum wage jobs, and that is there living wage. That is why we need a higher minimum wage. Its hard for people to make it on 7.25 a hour.

Thats totally false. For many people it is a living wage. Thats the problem. It is a living wage for many people. There are lot people who are stuck at minimum wage jobs, and that is there living wage. That is why we need a higher minimum wage. Its hard for people to make it on 7.25 a hour.

Conservatives think that there is a heap of high paying jobs just lying around, and there isn't. They think anyone can get the skills needed to get a high paying job, when not everyone can get those skills, and will never get those skills.

Cons seem to think people should be punished for being on a minimum wage job, like they are less than human.

Come over to Australia and see how good our minimum wage workers have it, and how happy everyone is.

A person working full time on minimum wage should be expected to live on it. If you Americans can't get that through your heads, there is something wrong.

Hmm.. meant for students etc who are JUST STARTING... it should NOT be expected to pay solo rent, car payments, raise kids, etc... you ADVANCE to EARN what is needed to provide for such things.. if YOU or ANYONE ELSE is earning minimum wage at age 25 with 2 kids, 2 cars, a 3BR apartment or house, etc, YOU ARE FUCKING STUPID.... you are not OWED the payment for such things for the lowest level shit out there... ANYONE can flip a burger, sweep a floor, or ring a cash register.. but guess what... If you stay with a company, show potential and effort, show some loyalty, advance your skills, learn new skills, and initiative, etc YOU WILL GET RAISES MOST LIKELY BECAUSE OF THE VALUE YOU ADD ABOVE THE ENTRY LEVEL GOOBERS

Idiot

Last edited:
Just a thought. Raising the minimum wage will put a lot of illegal aliens out of work and maybe they will self deport. Will not affect americans because they don't do those jobs anyway? Can you imagine, $10 an hour flipping hamburgers? Delivering news papers? Babysitting? Cutting lawns? These jobs were never meant to take care of a family but to supplement elderly and teen agers income. But illegal aliens have taken those jobs and now OBama want to pay them more.

Illegal aliens aren't governed by US law. Thus their illegal status. It will make employing illegals more attractive since they can be paid less than min wage, increasing their numbers here.
Your powers of analysis suck.

Asking why the minimum wage shouldn't be $15 or $20 or $30 an hour seems reasonable to me. Where, precisely, is the line drawn, and (here's a great question) who gets to draw it?

But here's the question I have: What, exactly, is a "living wage"?

• Is it for one person working, or two?
  • I pay around $400 a month for all our cell phones. Is that a right when calculating this?
  • What about payments on credit cards being rung up on iPhones, video games, vacations and cool clothes?
  • What about that $450 car payment you have instead of being smart and getting a more reasonably-priced car?
  • What about booze, partying, eating out, movies whenever you feel like it?
  • I assume Christmas and birthday presents should be factored in, right?
  • What about geography? Some places are far more expensive to live in than others.
In other words, some people are far more responsible with a dollar than others. So precisely how are we to determine what an adequate "living wage" is for everyone? Since we're making up arbitrary numbers for what a "living wage" is, shouldn't we examine the other end of the balance sheet as well?

And who makes all these decisions?

Are these not reasonable questions?

Does anyone wanna take a whack at this?

"You shouldn't have to work a full time job and be in poverty" BO

Of course, you can have that full time job you had move offshore to China or somewhere else where the wage level is lower and live like a king on the Government dole. Obama voters forever.

[The entire College of Cardinals have received their Obamaphones and a generous food stamp allotment. Obama's guaranteed to be elected the next Pope]

Conservatives think that there is a heap of high paying jobs just lying around, and there isn't. They think anyone can get the skills needed to get a high paying job, when not everyone can get those skills, and will never get those skills.

Cons seem to think people should be punished for being on a minimum wage job, like they are less than human.

Come over to Australia and see how good our minimum wage workers have it, and how happy everyone is.

How much is a regular cheese burger at McDonalds in Australia?

Progressive Democrats are nothing if not completely predictable. It's always the same tune with these people, isn't it? They just want to keep repeating the same thing and expect a different result.

I think we should raise the minimum wage to 500 dollars an hour and get the fuckin' party started. Why not, right? Raising the minimum wage mandate only makes people more wealthy! Lets go big, folks!

I agree. We'll have the happiest start up workers and working teens in the world.

Who cares if the rest of us get fucked??

And we'll have a society full of fry cooks and drive through workers completely content to just get by. Which of course would drive down wages for fry cooks and drive through .....wait a minute.
I think I see a problem.

I'll just stop eating out if it gets too expensive

It is a myth that raising minimum wages cause inflation.

A cherished myth, too, I note.

the minumum wage ought to be set by the CPI.

And the CPI ought to reflect the real cost of living, which let's face it, right now it does NOT.

for instance.,..does anyone here really think that the cost of living only went up 1.7% last year?

That's what our state economists want us to believe.

We know it's not a living wage. It's not intended to be a living wage.
These jobs are for high school kids and first time job seekers.
Just how much is enough? Should you be able to work the drive through and afford a car and rent and all the expenses that go with them?

yeah, the only problem with that is that there are many people in this country who ismply are not qualified for anything more than an entry level job.

So the choices are mandate a minimum wage that they can actually live on, or supplement their income with welfare so that they can live.

I guess there IS a third choice, but I doubt this country is going to just say "fuck them"

Not saying raising minimum wage is a panacea, but claiming it' just meant to be an entry level wage is crazy.

and that' not even considering that all other wages are based in relation to the minimum wage.

Asking why the minimum wage shouldn't be $15 or $20 or $30 an hour seems reasonable to me. Where, precisely, is the line drawn, and (here's a great question) who gets to draw it?

• I pay around $400 a month for all our cell phones. Is that a right when calculating this?
  • What about payments on credit cards being rung up on iPhones, video games, vacations and cool clothes?
  • What about that $450 car payment you have instead of being smart and getting a more reasonably-priced car?
  • What about geography? Some places are far more expensive to live in than others.
In other words, some people are far more responsible with a dollar than others. So precisely how are we to determine what an adequate "living wage" is for everyone? Since we're making up arbitrary numbers for what a "living wage" is, shouldn't we examine the other end of the balance sheet as well?

very reasonable, I just don't have an answer but I see what you are driving at

very reasonable, I just don't have an answer but I see what you are driving at

The answer to mac is that we can not logically determine a "living wage" and therefore, the arbitrary determination will turn out with unseen and unwanted consequences against some over others and in this case, for everyone.

There's something wrong with you because kids in High School don't need to be making enough to support themselves. That's who minimum wage jobs are for.

So why is the starting wage so much less today than it was in 1968? in 2012 dollars, mw was almost $11 an hour. Today, in 2012, mw is about $7.00 and hour. More than 75% of MW workers are adults, why on earth do you think they are worth less today than in 1968.
551556_10151423422074255_1171022504_n.png

So why is the starting wage so much less today than it was in 1968? in 2012 dollars, mw was almost $11 an hour. Today, in 2012, mw is about $7.00 and hour. More than 75% of MW workers are adults, why on earth do you think they are worth less today than in 1968.
551556_10151423422074255_1171022504_n.png

it may be the same for everyone else too :confused:

Forum List

Back