Raise the minimum wage

Minimum wage is not to be a living wage.. it is a STARTER wage... for the ones with zero experience, just beginning their working careers...

This is a simple concept that left wingers just cannot seem to understand

A person working full time on minimum wage should be expected to live on it. If you Americans can't get that through your heads, there is something wrong.

There's something wrong with you because kids in High School don't need to be making enough to support themselves. That's who minimum wage jobs are for.

There are FAR more minimum wage jobs out there then there are high school kids to work them.

In fact in 2011 about 50% of minimum wage earners were OVER the age of 25

Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2011

what do you do about those people?

Sometimes the irrationality of this crap is too much to bear. People seem to think you can just make any unfortunate fact of reality go away by making it illegal.

Don't like seeing people work for peanuts? Make it illegal.
Don't like the fact that people can't afford health insurance? Make it illegal for them not to have it.
Don't like the fact that some people don't like you or your friends? Make it illegal for them to not like you.

IN Australlia a reg CB costs 2.15 Aussie dollars.
Is McDonalds going broke in OZ?

McDonald's said sales in Europe, the company's biggest market, rose 5 percent despite economic turmoil and severe weather in many parts of the region. Sales in Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa rose 5.5 percent, led by China, Australia and Japan.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mcdonalds-reports-higher-1q-profit-121423772.html

Last edited:
The seminal study of the minimum wage, done by economists David Card and Alan Krueger, found that job creation was actually strengthened by an increase in the minimum wage. This result has been found time and time again. So Rubio and Ryan have the history exactly backwards: raising the minimum wage results in higher wages and more purchasing power for workers, not job losses.

Top Republicans Oppose Minimum Wage Hike

Study

Minimum wage is not to be a living wage.. it is a STARTER wage... for the ones with zero experience, just beginning their working careers...

This is a simple concept that left wingers just cannot seem to understand

It's their plan to move people off welfare.<sarc>

Thats totally false. For many people it is a living wage. Thats the problem. It is a living wage for many people. There are lot people who are stuck at minimum wage jobs, and that is there living wage. That is why we need a higher minimum wage. Its hard for people to make it on 7.25 a hour.

Hey dipshit, I was being sarcastic, hence the <sarc>.

The seminal study of the minimum wage, done by economists David Card and Alan Krueger, found that job creation was actually strengthened by an increase in the minimum wage. This result has been found time and time again. So Rubio and Ryan have the history exactly backwards: raising the minimum wage results in higher wages and more purchasing power for workers, not job losses.

Top Republicans Oppose Minimum Wage Hike

Study

Think Progress is where I stopped reading

A person working full time on minimum wage should be expected to live on it. If you Americans can't get that through your heads, there is something wrong.

There's something wrong with you because kids in High School don't need to be making enough to support themselves. That's who minimum wage jobs are for.

There are FAR more minimum wage jobs out there then there are high school kids to work them.

In fact in 2011 about 50% of minimum wage earners were OVER the age of 25

Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2011

what do you do about those people?

whose fault they are working there and why do we need to anything about them..they can work their way up into higher earnings or if they are too stupid for that they can stay at minimum wage

Last edited:
It is a myth that raising minimum wages cause inflation.

A cherished myth, too, I note.

the minumum wage ought to be set by the CPI.

And the CPI ought to reflect the real cost of living, which let's face it, right now it does NOT.

for instance.,..does anyone here really think that the cost of living only went up 1.7% last year?

That's what our state economists want us to believe.

We know it's not a living wage. It's not intended to be a living wage.
These jobs are for high school kids and first time job seekers.
Just how much is enough? Should you be able to work the drive through and afford a car and rent and all the expenses that go with them?

yeah, the only problem with that is that there are many people in this country who ismply are not qualified for anything more than an entry level job.

So the choices are mandate a minimum wage that they can actually live on, or supplement their income with welfare so that they can live.

I guess there IS a third choice, but I doubt this country is going to just say "fuck them"

Not saying raising minimum wage is a panacea, but claiming it' just meant to be an entry level wage is crazy.

and that' not even considering that all other wages are based in relation to the minimum wage.

You can live on min wage.You'll be riding the bus and probably have a room mate.
But you can live on it.

Just how much is enough? Should you be able to work the drive through and afford a car and rent and all the expenses that go with them?

yeah, the only problem with that is that there are many people in this country who ismply are not qualified for anything more than an entry level job.

So the choices are mandate a minimum wage that they can actually live on, or supplement their income with welfare so that they can live.

I guess there IS a third choice, but I doubt this country is going to just say "fuck them"

Not saying raising minimum wage is a panacea, but claiming it' just meant to be an entry level wage is crazy.

and that' not even considering that all other wages are based in relation to the minimum wage.

You can live on min wage.You'll be riding the bus and probably have a room mate.
But you can live on it.

it's funny how there are millions of people already doing it...but now all of a sudden it's a pressing issue because the Dear Leader mentions it

The only thing that Republicans hate more than the minimum wage is a call to increase the minimum wage. The reason why Republicans hate the minimum wage as a political issue is that it is incredibly popular. The minimum wage is a gigantic winning issue for Democrats. When the minimum wage is on the ballot, Democrats win.

Obama Terrifies Republicans by Calling for Federal Minimum Wage Increase to $9.00/hr

another Chief Shitting Bull link that gives no proof whatsoever of its claim

WomenMinWage_fig1.png

Why The Minimum Wage Is A Women's Issue, In Three Charts

But you can live on it.

Personally I think it's ridiculously low, but I don't agree with Obama that raising it will solve anything.

IF I were the grand poo bah, I'd raise it to $20/HR , eliminate ALL welfare , and lower taxes appropriately.

Those who don't want to work can starve or freeze, whichever.

Taxes are lower so companies can lower executive pay because not near as much of it is going towards taxes and thus could afford to pay $20/HR

I would a different minimum wage for student/employees.

But you can live on it.

Personally I think it's ridiculously low, but I don't agree with Obama that raising it will solve anything.

IF I were the grand poo bah, I'd raise it to $20/HR , eliminate ALL welfare , and lower taxes appropriately.

Taxes are lower so companies can lower executive pay because not near as much of it is going towards taxes and thus could afford to pay $20/HR

Wow

But you can live on it.

Wow

a death panel based purely on economics.
Those poor children could work in the fields or mines.
They can drag their bottle with them while they pick strawberries.

Wow

a death panel based purely on economics.
Those poor children could work in the fields or mines.
They can drag their bottle with them while they pick strawberries.

failure to provide for your children would surely qualify as abuse and good bye kids.

Forum List

Back