'Real Change for Workers': Living Wage Backers Declare Victory in Local Election

OK, how about $30/hr?
Lowering taxes to 0% would spur the economy. But it would mean there would be money to pay for things that gov't needs to do.
You can (and it has been done) calculate the optimum level of overall taxation--more will decrease production to you get less tax revenue, less will lessen tax revenue without any benefit. And it's been done. Not that anyone in Washington is listening of course.
So why don't you share with us your similar analysis for wages?

$30 is clearly not as absurd as $50, but I still say it's too high. I live on the opposite coast, but around here I'd say $12-15 is number I could live with. And you're right about my analogy, what I was actually thinking about was the argument the lowering taxes increases tax revenue (clearly got my wires crossed on that one). The truth is sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't and there are too many factors to consistently predict which way it will go. As far as the minimum wage goes, we're at an impasse right out of the gate since you don't believe in the concept at all, whereas I do. So to see you making arguments haggling over the level strikes me as a tad disingenuous. No offense.

A number you could live with? Why? You like the pretty shapes?
For a single mom with 4 kids at home, it isn't nearly enough. For a 16yr old getting his first job, it is way too much.
You just threw an arbitrary number out there with no thought whatsoever. That is the gist of my argument with you. there is no rational reason, if you subscribe to the idea gov't should be mandating a min wage, why that wage shouldn't be $50/hr or 30 or even 100. "It seems to high" is not an argument. There are plenty of people who do in fact make 100/hr. Or more.
You'll need to be more persuasive than "I like the pretty numbers".

Repeating an appeal to absurdity argument over and over doesn't make it any less absurd.

Like I said, you don't even believe in a minimum wage at all, and that is certainly your prerogative. But if you think your $100/hr argument is actually helping to make your case, you're fooling yourself. It just makes you look stupid.

$30 is clearly not as absurd as $50, but I still say it's too high. I live on the opposite coast, but around here I'd say $12-15 is number I could live with. And you're right about my analogy, what I was actually thinking about was the argument the lowering taxes increases tax revenue (clearly got my wires crossed on that one). The truth is sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't and there are too many factors to consistently predict which way it will go. As far as the minimum wage goes, we're at an impasse right out of the gate since you don't believe in the concept at all, whereas I do. So to see you making arguments haggling over the level strikes me as a tad disingenuous. No offense.

For a single mom with 4 kids at home, it isn't nearly enough. For a 16yr old getting his first job, it is way too much.
You just threw an arbitrary number out there with no thought whatsoever. That is the gist of my argument with you. there is no rational reason, if you subscribe to the idea gov't should be mandating a min wage, why that wage shouldn't be $50/hr or 30 or even 100. "It seems to high" is not an argument. There are plenty of people who do in fact make 100/hr. Or more.

Repeating an appeal to absurdity argument over and over doesn't make it any less absurd.

Like I said, you don't even believe in a minimum wage at all, and that is certainly your prerogative. But if you think your $100/hr argument is actually helping to make your case, you're fooling yourself. It just makes you look stupid.

Youhave failed to explain why $50/hr or 30/hr or even 15/hr is a reasonable level. Your argument seems to be "that seems right to me."
Since you obviously don't employ min wage workers, nor depend on companies that do, it isn't really your call.
This is what hacks me about libs. They are completely unable to put forth a reasonable argument. And when called on it resort to name calling and other school yard tactics.

Youhave failed to explain why $50/hr or 30/hr or even 15/hr is a reasonable level. Your argument seems to be "that seems right to me."
Since you obviously don't employ min wage workers, nor depend on companies that do, it isn't really your call.
This is what hacks me about libs. They are completely unable to put forth a reasonable argument. And when called on it resort to name calling and other school yard tactics.

In other words, you actually cannot construct a reasoned argument against minimum wage laws that doesn't require an appeal to absurdity.

That's pretty much what I've been saying all along yo. :thup:

Because that would be too high.

So who decides what is too high? And why is it too high? don't you want everyone to become millionaries?

In this case, the voters. And $50/hr is too high because it fails the reasonable person test. That whole argument is an appeal to absurdity fallacy. Just like arguing that if lower taxes improve the economy, then why not 0%.

Because then our representatives couldnt spend our money.

Can Rabbi explain how being against higher min wages creates more jobs?

Not increasing the minimum wage doesn't create more jobs. It prevents us from losing jobs that already exist. It's called common sense. You increase the cost of something and less people can purchase it.

Artificially increasing the cost of labor decreases the amount of labor that will be purchased.

Letting the market dictate prices will increase people working. Market forces can determine what the minimum wage is much better than the government can. It also prevents government from inflating the currency. Which is the real problem.

I think you already know this and are just going to pretend as though nothing I said matters. Feel free.

Heres the thing. If a business is successful they will hire people. If not, they wont.

We've let the market dictate for decades and now we're here. How long does it take to come to the conclusion that the market has its finger on the scale?

Really? We've let the market dictate for decades?

Then why is there already a minimum wage? Oh yeah, because we didn't.

Just like the Katy Texas football stadium, it's a local matter decided by a vote.

Pretty amusing the different reactions from some of the same players. :lol:

Just because it's a local matter decided by a vote doesn't mean it's a good decision.

Voters make bad decisions sometimes. Example: Obama.

And if you want it to be a local issue, which i have no problem with, then join in repealing the Federal minimum wage.

Not increasing the minimum wage doesn't create more jobs. It prevents us from losing jobs that already exist. It's called common sense. You increase the cost of something and less people can purchase it.

Artificially increasing the cost of labor decreases the amount of labor that will be purchased.

Letting the market dictate prices will increase people working. Market forces can determine what the minimum wage is much better than the government can. It also prevents government from inflating the currency. Which is the real problem.

I think you already know this and are just going to pretend as though nothing I said matters. Feel free.

You are forgetting that those that receive the higher income now have more disposable income which does create more jobs. Henry Ford increased the pay of his workers and ended up selling more vehicles because the rising tide of incomes created more affluence.

If the pay of everyone making under $70k pa was increased by $10/hr that would result in a booming economy within a year. Corporations would take it as tax deductions because it is an expense and individuals would have an additional $2k pa in their paychecks. Since it is conservative dogma to state that individuals know better how to spend their money than government does the 130 million people with that extra $2k are going to put it to good use.

The math works, the conservative principles are sound and while the corporations and shareholders might see an initial dip but it will be more than offset by the subsequent benefits that come from a booming economy.

Ford increased wages to attract workers from machine shops. They didnt want to work in factory conditions, which were difficult and dehumanizing. Once Ford shut down the machine shops, he lowered everyone's wages.
"Tax deduction" does not equal free. Just saying.
The math does not work. The only way companies could continue to earn profit would be by raising their prices, wiping out any gains to wage earners.
Oops.

History says otherwise.

The sillyness of throwing your own statement under the bus and then claiming to stand beside it nothwithstanding,

Now there is some logic contortion that is extreme even for you...

I think we both agree that predicting an officially recorded unemployment rate of 70% is absurd, so I won't try to hold you to that. But surely some of the adverse impact would have to show up on recorded unemployment statistics. Right now it's 6%, two years ago it was 11.9%. Where do you see it twelve months from now?

IF this were a state wide proposal, the unemployment would sky rocket. But we are speaking of a single city, which is a suburb of a large city. Since business not exempted will see a 60% increase in labor costs, they will have to either lay off 60% of their workforce, or close the business and relocate to an area not hostile to business.

A few flaws in your question, though: First off, the unemployment rate in Seattle is 5.2%, not 6%. Secondly, there appears to be no independent rate listed for SeaTac.

Rise in Seattle-area jobless rate defies trend | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times

Upon further research, it also appears that SeaTac is owned by the Unions - 100%. The community is formed around the Seattle-Tacoma Airport. The measure was promoted by the AFL-CIO for the purpose of unionizing the concessions in the airport - this is 100% corruption at work - organized crime. So the large concessions such as McDonalds and Taco Bell will close - leaving shitty stands that will be union run. The result is that travelers will pay $20 for a burger that was made the day before and microwaved by some union moron.

In other words, you actually cannot construct a reasoned argument against minimum wage laws that doesn't require an appeal to absurdity.

No, I can and have.
You cannot provide a defense for your arbitrary view that 12 or 15/hr (which is it btw?) is the right level for min wage.
:thup:

I believe the problem is that you want to FORCE your employer to pay $25.00 an hour for your dish washer job.

You are forgetting that those that receive the higher income now have more disposable income which does create more jobs. Henry Ford increased the pay of his workers and ended up selling more vehicles because the rising tide of incomes created more affluence.

If the pay of everyone making under $70k pa was increased by $10/hr that would result in a booming economy within a year. Corporations would take it as tax deductions because it is an expense and individuals would have an additional $2k pa in their paychecks. Since it is conservative dogma to state that individuals know better how to spend their money than government does the 130 million people with that extra $2k are going to put it to good use.

The math works, the conservative principles are sound and while the corporations and shareholders might see an initial dip but it will be more than offset by the subsequent benefits that come from a booming economy.

Ford increased wages to attract workers from machine shops. They didnt want to work in factory conditions, which were difficult and dehumanizing. Once Ford shut down the machine shops, he lowered everyone's wages.
"Tax deduction" does not equal free. Just saying.
The math does not work. The only way companies could continue to earn profit would be by raising their prices, wiping out any gains to wage earners.
Oops.

History says otherwise.

History says you just lost this argument.

[MENTION=20947]The Rabbi[/MENTION]

The government imposes many regulations on business that drive up costs, and it's always debatable whether the overall benefits of the regulation outweigh the increased costs of doing business. If you believe there is never any benefit to a minimum wage at any level, and therefore it's never a good idea, then just say so. And maybe we can explore that idea.

But repeating the $50/hr argument over and over serves only to convince me that you're not actually interested in an open discussion about your alleged ideals.

The government imposes many regulations on business that drive up costs, and it's always debatable whether the overall benefits of the regulation outweigh the increased costs of doing business. If you believe there is never any benefit to a minimum wage at any level, and therefore it's never a good idea, then just say so. And maybe we can explore that idea.

But repeating the $50/hr argument over and over serves only to convince me that you're not actually interested in an open discussion about your alleged ideals.

I am concerned with your argument that $50 is too much but 12 or 15 (which is it, btw?) is just right. Why don't we start with you explaining why that is the right level for a min wage and then we can go on to my argument why we dont need one at all.

The fact that you want to just dismiss the argument tells me you can't actually argue it. Why is $15/hr alright and $50/hr not? That's easy. One you can sell emotionally the other you can't.

The rational between both is the same though. Both are going to have the same consequences IE Artificially raising labor costs, increasing unemployment, and inflating the currency. The only difference is in degrees.

The more and more I think about, the more I think we should require certain education milestones before we allow someone to vote. If nothing else, we should require Intro to Macro & Microeconomics.

If the requirement called for people to "pass" before they were allowed to vote then Deanie, Franco and Sallow would never be able to vote again.

I am concerned with your argument that $50 is too much but 12 or 15 (which is it, btw?) is just right. Why don't we start with you explaining why that is the right level for a min wage and then we can go on to my argument why we dont need one at all.

"need" is a strong word.

But regardless, I'm more interested in why you think we'd be better off without one at any level. I don't see any point in haggling over the level until we've dealt with that. So in the interests of moving this debate along, I hereby rescind my previous comment and say that a level of $3/hour seems like a reasonable floor. An hour of man's time should certainly be worth at least that much, right?

The fact that you want to just dismiss the argument tells me you can't actually argue it. Why is $15/hr alright and $50/hr not? That's easy. One you can sell emotionally the other you can't.

The rational between both is the same though. Both are going to have the same consequences IE Artificially raising labor costs, increasing unemployment, and inflating the currency. The only difference is in degrees.

Well, if you want to say that increasing min wage allows workers to buy more products then logically if you increase it to $50/hr they will buy much more than they would at $15/hr or 12 or whatever she is proposing.
That argumetn is hooey, of course for a variety of reasons.

My neighbor is a union rep for Lockheed in Marietta, Ga. He is always talking about "living wage" and everyone should get at least $15 a hour.
And he posted on Facebook last week "our maid needs extra work with illness in the family. $10 ahour and she can work nights and weekends"
The typical liberal. Do as I say, not as I do.

The difference in degrees makes all the difference.

I never argued that a minimum wage doesn't raise labor costs. It would be pretty stupid to believe that. The question here, which all of you don't want to consider, is whether there is an overall benefit to having a minimum wage that justifies the increased costs.

"need" is a strong word.

But regardless, I'm more interested in why you think we'd be better off without one at any level. I don't see any point in haggling over the level until we've dealt with that. So in the interests of moving this debate along, I hereby rescind my previous comment and say that a level of $3/hour seems like a reasonable floor. An hour of man's time should certainly be worth at least that much, right?

No. $3/hr might be too high for some jobs.
But OK, I'll give you a pass here and go on to my argument.

Wages represent value of labor for the employer. Take a welder for example, which is pretty highly skilled work. But a welder isn't worth $5/hr to me because I dont run a welding shop. But for someone who does, his welder could allow him to make X many dollars in profit by employing him. If he's a good welder, he is worth more because he works more quickly with fewer mistakes. A bad welder, less money. But there is some limit to what the welder can be paid. As crucial as his job might be, it isn't worth $500/hr because paying him that much will cost all the profit the company makes. And what's the point of running the company in taht case? Also you could hire another welder for less. Or hire someone and send him to welding school for even less.
So there is a market level for a welder, because every shop that employs welders is competing for that welder's services.
Now, just like the welder, unskilled labor is also subject to a market, with many employers competing for unskilled labor. So there is a natural rate, a market rate, that unskilled labor commands.
If you set a min wage higher than that market rate, you eliminate all the jobs that would exist in its absence. It is not simply luck that you don't see gas jockeys or theater ushers anymore. In my childhood, 60's and early 70s, those jobs were always filled by either kids or retired people.
So the choice is not between jobs at $8/hr or jobs at $15/hr. It is a choice between jobs at 8/hr or no jobs at all. And if you look at teen unemployment rate (teenagers being the most likely to work min wage jobs) you find that in fact rises in teen unemployment virtually mirror rises in the min wage.
I would like to hire someone to sweep my floor in my little shop. If i could hire someone for $2/hr I would. Maybe no one wants to work for that wage. Maybe the retired guy next door is bored and would do it just to get out of the house and earn a little pocket money. W ith min wage laws he loses that choice. It isn't worth $10/hr for me to pay him to sweep out my shop. I'll do it myself for that amount. That is how jobs disappear.

Forum List

Back