Real U.S. Wages Are Essentially Back at 1974 Levels

I don't yet know what it is. We've had plenty of illegal immigrants for a long time and low unemployment has always triggered increases in wages. I do hope somebody figures out what the issue is soon.

Really? Everything I've seen is that we have had high levels of Third World immigration, legal and illegal, since the 60s, and not long after that, is when the generations long wage stagnation began.
If we've had it since the 60s, then we should also have had stagnation since the 60s. That's not true.

Maybe it took a while for the negative impact to reverse healthy trends.
Eh, I don't really think it has anything to do with illegal immigration.

NOt sure why you make a big distinction.

Legal and Illegal immigration flooded the labor market with tens of millions of extra workers.

And wages stagnated.

As to be expected according to the Law of Supply and Demand.
Can you give reason to believe it is higher now than in the past? This country has had plenty of illegal and legal immigration since it's beginning.

Really? Everything I've seen is that we have had high levels of Third World immigration, legal and illegal, since the 60s, and not long after that, is when the generations long wage stagnation began.
If we've had it since the 60s, then we should also have had stagnation since the 60s. That's not true.

Legal and Illegal immigration flooded the labor market with tens of millions of extra workers.

And wages stagnated.

Can you give reason to believe it is higher now than in the past? This country has had plenty of illegal and legal immigration since it's beginning.

Looks a lot lower during the 40s though 60s, when wages were rising with productivity, than today.

History of immigration to the United States - Wikipedia

And wages stagnated.

Looks a lot lower during the 40s though 60s, when wages were rising with productivity, than today.

It looks like there was a lot if immigration in the 80s and wages were not stagnant.

Wages have been stagnant for 40 years. Trump is the one trying to change the factors that led to that.

You people are the ones that want to keep trade and immigration policy the same.

What part of that makes sense to you?

Sure he is

Cut taxes of employers by close to 50 percent and marvel at the paltry 2.7 percent increase in salaries
Give your cut up.

I don't yet know what it is. We've had plenty of illegal immigrants for a long time and low unemployment has always triggered increases in wages. I do hope somebody figures out what the issue is soon.

And wages stagnated.

Yes, immigration put downward pressure on the wages of LOW SKILLED WORKERS. But overall, they have actually contributed the vast majority of what little wage increase we have gotten.

The Effect of Immigration on Productivity: Evidence from US States

The classic example is the brick layer. A low paid immigrant is hired to carry the bricks, now the skilled brick layer can spend more time actually laying the bricks while the immigrant carries them. That increases productivity and therefore the value of the brick layers labor. Now, if you want to look at immigration that possibly decreases the value of skilled workers I would direct you to the EB-3 Visa, which Trump actually wants to increase.

And wages stagnated.

It looks like there was a lot if immigration in the 80s and wages were not stagnant.

ib330-figurea-538.png

And wages stagnated.

ib330-figurea-538.png

es_110117_01_labor_force_participation_prime_age_women_oecd_countries.jpg

And wages stagnated.

Yes, immigration put downward pressure on the wages of LOW SKILLED WORKERS. But overall, they have actually contributed the vast majority of what little wage increase we have gotten.

The classic example is the brick layer. A low paid immigrant is hired to carry the bricks, now the skilled brick layer can spend more time actually laying the bricks while the immigrant carries them. That increases productivity and therefore the value of the brick layers labor. Now, if you want to look at immigration that possibly decreases the value of skilled workers I would direct you to the EB-3 Visa, which Trump actually wants to increase.

Learn the difference between illegal and legal immigrant

And wages stagnated.

FT_17.09.18_Hispanics_USHispanicpop.png

And wages stagnated.

A legal immigrant is one the GOVERNMENT grants permission to be here. You know, the same government that should stay out of the way of business. The same government that screws up damn near everything it touches. The same government that is filled with incompetent UNION workers. The same government that spends money wildly and foolishly. Tell me, why is it you believe that same incompetent government somehow has the ability to pick and choose it's citizens properly.

And wages stagnated.

View attachment 214598

Funny, is the same time frame about 40 million women entered the labor force.

Women in the labor force, 1970–2009 : The Economics Daily : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

And wages stagnated.

A legal immigrant is one the GOVERNMENT grants permission to be here. You know, the same government that should stay out of the way of business. The same government that screws up damn near everything it touches. The same government that is filled with incompetent UNION workers. The same government that spends money wildly and foolishly. Tell me, why is it you believe that same incompetent government somehow has the ability to pick and choose it's citizens properly.

So your a skin head? The majority of Americans don't give a rats ass about legals who followed our laws , this is about ilegals who flood our ERs and work under the table .

Imagine a person doing the same job today as 40 years ago. No promotions, no merit increases.

Why should that person be making more today than 40 years ago? Seriously.

And don't say, "productivity increases." Productivity rarely increases due to the employee working harder. It is almost invariably the result of improved technology, or better management.

Why should the same job pay more now than before?
Wow. This is one of the most economically ignorant posts I have read in a long time.

Hey, dumbshit. Why should CEOs be making hundreds of times more than they did before while workers are going backward?

And wages stagnated.

So your a skin head? The majority of Americans don't give a rats ass about legals who followed our laws , this is about ilegals who flood our ERs and work under the table .

Actually, this thread is about the lack of wage growth in the midst of higher productivity. That has nothing to do with immigration, legal or illegal, and as I have pointed out, both legal and illegal immigration has actually contributed to what little wage growth we have gotten in that time frame.

Wages actually rose faster when more foreign laborers were entering the U.S

Terms of Service Violation

And wages stagnated.

Actually, this thread is about the lack of wage growth in the midst of higher productivity. That has nothing to do with immigration, legal or illegal, and as I have pointed out, both legal and illegal immigration has actually contributed to what little wage growth we have gotten in that time frame.
...n

So, you don't believe in the law of supply and demand?

Face facts; The King has no clothes.

Sure he does. Manufacturing employment is surging, that is something you libs said would not happen.

For one example.

If what you wrote is true, then why isn't manufacturing output increasing?

If what you wrote is true, then why isn't manufacturing output increasing?

It is.

Really? Prove it.

View attachment 214332

Here is the flaw in your post.

Industries at a Glance: Manufacturing: NAICS 31-33

"The Manufacturing sector comprises establishments engaged in the mechanical, physical, or chemical transformation of materials, substances, or components into new products."

"Establishments in the Manufacturing sector are often described as plants, factories, or mills and characteristically use power-driven machines and materials-handling equipment. However, establishments that transform materials or substances into new products by hand or in the worker's home and those engaged in selling to the general public products made on the same premises from which they are sold, such as bakeries, candy stores, and custom tailors, may also be included in this sector. Manufacturing establishments may process materials or may contract with other establishments to process their materials for them. Both types of establishments are included in manufacturing."

I own three businesses that take foreign made components and package them making the components new products. I don't sell to the general public, but all three businesses are classified as NAICS 335 businesses, but in reality it's actually distribution.

Another interesting point. When a company boxes components for a Surround Sound System, do all of the boxed components make a new product?

Why should the buying power of a worker today, doing the same job as someone who was working in 1974 be any more than it was in 1974?

Why did failed former President Barack Hussein Obama do nothing?

Because it's NOT 1974.

Obama did. He attempted to raise the minimum wage six times in eight years. Republicans stopped it.

All that is trickle up poor everyone knows it except burger flippers like you.

Why are you against raising wages for American Workers? Are you a Russian troll?

Forum List

Back