Religion and Ethics - The topic of this USMB Discussion is an "oxymoron"

And by the way, I do have a lot of faith. I am a very spiritual person. Which is why religious fanatics totally piss me off.

They follow no truth except the one that they were born into. And brainwashed by their parents and family. A baby never gets to choose his/her religion upon birth, it is already done for her/him.

Few people change after the initial brainwashing. I did. And some others here did too. But at least 95% of people in this world don't change from the religion they were born into.

So given all the religions in the world, you would think that there is one that is correct, or more correct than the others. Yet almost everyone never waivers from the religion they were born into.

The ones who do waiver, are probably here on this board arguing about the stupidity of religion. The rest of you just secretly want to convert or kill each other. :)

Boss-man does not even believe in a religion, he's doing this for shits and giggles.

He'll end this thread by saying that he was just trying to debate a subject.

Don't listen to what he says, because he's just a troll...
Not about shits or giggles. Not trolling. I don't have a religion and I also have no ax to grind with religion. That makes me an objective opinion.

Your poorly worded OP claims religion is the antithesis of ethics and morality. All you've presented as support for this opinion is a litany of bad things you hold religion responsible for. You dismiss and ignore any good from religion.

You seem to be completely oblivious to how the vast majority of what we define as morality and ethics stems from our unique religious or spiritual beliefs.

Like I said, you're just here to debate something you have no interest in. You're here for the fun of debate. Which is why you make arguments that don't have spiritual meaning behind it.

You choose which side to take, based on how many "happy points" you'll get for your argument.

Let me tell you, I don't give a shit about how many "Agrees" or "fuck yous" I get on my posts. I post what is real, and don't care about anything else.

What you do, boss, and ding, is forum masturbation. To be honest...

Look here is another Explanation why we have an Orange Anus squatting over the White House

Brain damage linked to religious fundamentalism

Hunting for God in our grey matter seems to be a popular topic for neurologists, with past studies comparing religious highs with drug-induced ones, linking spiritual experiences with neurotransmitters such as serotonin, and identifying which parts of the brain (if any) could be responsible for a faith in the supernatural.

Now a new study has now found that those with damage to a section of the brain associated with planning become less open to new ideas, explaining why some people are more likely to become extreme in their religious beliefs.

Neurologists Have Identified Brain Lesions That Could Be Linked to Religious Fundamentalism

Dude, thanks for the support, but I'm not gonna back that up. Won't even click a link. :)

You choose which side to take, based on how many "happy points" you'll get for your argument.

Let me tell you, I don't give a shit about how many "Agrees" or "fuck yous" I get on my posts. I post what is real, and don't care about anything else.

And by the way, I do have a lot of faith. I am a very spiritual person. Which is why religious fanatics totally piss me off.

They follow no truth except the one that they were born into. And brainwashed by their parents and family. A baby never gets to choose his/her religion upon birth, it is already done for her/him.

Few people change after the initial brainwashing. I did. And some others here did too. But at least 95% of people in this world don't change from the religion they were born into.

So given all the religions in the world, you would think that there is one that is correct, or more correct than the others. Yet almost everyone never waivers from the religion they were born into.

The ones who do waiver, are probably here on this board arguing about the stupidity of religion. The rest of you just secretly want to convert or kill each other. :)

Boss-man does not even believe in a religion, he's doing this for shits and giggles.

Not about shits or giggles. Not trolling. I don't have a religion and I also have no ax to grind with religion. That makes me an objective opinion.

Your poorly worded OP claims religion is the antithesis of ethics and morality. All you've presented as support for this opinion is a litany of bad things you hold religion responsible for. You dismiss and ignore any good from religion.

You seem to be completely oblivious to how the vast majority of what we define as morality and ethics stems from our unique religious or spiritual beliefs.

Like I said, you're just here to debate something you have no interest in. You're here for the fun of debate. Which is why you make arguments that don't have spiritual meaning behind it.

You are entitled to your opinion. Yup, I come here to debate and discuss ideas. What is your purpose? Looks like it's to grandstand and Christian bash. Hey, I get it... them Christians are pains in the ass pushing their morality and making it hard to do what you please.

I can't speak for the whole world or all religions, indeed, some places you can be killed if you don't profess a certain view... or maybe if you do. Not everyone has religious freedom. I don't want to dispute your 95% claims but I can tell you, Christianity is a religion of acceptance. That comes from the heart of the individual. You cannot be forced to be Christian. It's like being forced to love... it's not possible.

In America, many children are raised attending church. This is generally done to instill moral values at an early age, in hopes the child won't turn out to be a hoodlum. You somehow think that's a bad thing and we'd all be better off without it. You call it brainwashing... but for what exactly? To abide certain standards of decent behavior? To love and forgive? To be thankful and have grace? Such terrible and awful attributes to instill when we all should be learning behavior from great apes, right?

I couldn't care less about points or accolades. I'm a unique person with my own opinions and beliefs. I'm usually a trendsetter and not a trend follower. I engaged you in this thread because the topic is important to me. You continue to try and dismiss me as a troll with no dog in the hunt. I'm not here to defend religion, just to set you straight with your petulant fit pitching. I'm sorry Mommy made you go to church but it obviously didn't damage you for life. That's not a very good reason to try and take down religion by yourself... by the way, you're certain to fail.

I have found a couple truisms in life.

If you are waiting tables your tip percentage is inversely related to the amount of ketchup used.

"Morality" is inversely related to how religious one claims to be.

This reminded me of a line in Ray Wylie Hubbard's song, Conversation with the Devil where he asked the Devil, "which religion is the truest?" Devil replies, "they're all about the same... Buddha wasn't a Christian but Jesus would've made a good Buddhist."

Again, your "argument" seems to veer off into more of a sneering beef with religion. And I keep seeing you repeat this pattern of making broad generalizations about people. Everyone is different, even Christians. Some are saintly, some are hypocrites and many are in between. One major tenet of Christianity is that we are all sinners. So, yeah, some are poor representatives of their religion.

But the OP isn't about whether you like religion. You argued it was antithetical to morality and ethics. Show some proof for that or get off your soap box.

But the OP isn't about whether you like religion. You argued it was antithetical to morality and ethics. Show some proof for that or get off your soap box.

th

boss, the history of the desert religions paint a different picture than the one you keep referring to, why is that.

th

boss, the history of the desert religions paint a different picture than the one you keep referring to, why is that.
One event doesn't condemn all of religion or all of religious history. I don't know about desert religion and I'm not here to defend religion per say. I'm being forced into that by intellectually dishonest Christian bashers with an agenda.

Religions do good and bad things. The good far outweighs the bad. For every stupid witch burning picture you can regurgitate, there are a thousand images of missionaries feeding the starving.

I'm still waiting to hear about the great Atheist and Agnostic charity organizations.

th

One event doesn't condemn all of religion or all of religious history. I don't know about desert religion and I'm not here to defend religion per say. I'm being forced into that by intellectually dishonest Christian bashers with an agenda.

Religions do good and bad things. The good far outweighs the bad. For every stupid witch burning picture you can regurgitate, there are a thousand images of missionaries feeding the starving.

I'm still waiting to hear about the great Atheist and Agnostic charity organizations.
For every stupid witch burning picture you can regurgitate, there are a thousand images of missionaries feeding the starving.

th

you continue to make baseless claims without proof in a thread that is making the point you are incapable of refuting.

you are simply a blind adherent repeating history boss where others are recognizing the truth through history in hope of correcting the awfulness of the desert scriptural religions to make real something that is at present an anathema to society.

YOU are anathema to society. The thread OP didn't make a point, it made an unsubstantiated claim.

You people don't hope to correct anything, especially events 200-1500 years old, you just want to bash on Christians. It's probably because they oppose your decadent lifestyle and lack of ethical and moral values, which is quite ironic.

You are entitled to your opinion. Yup, I come here to debate and discuss ideas. What is your purpose? Looks like it's to grandstand and Christian bash. Hey, I get it... them Christians are pains in the ass pushing their morality and making it hard to do what you please.

I can't speak for the whole world or all religions, indeed, some places you can be killed if you don't profess a certain view... or maybe if you do. Not everyone has religious freedom. I don't want to dispute your 95% claims but I can tell you, Christianity is a religion of acceptance. That comes from the heart of the individual. You cannot be forced to be Christian. It's like being forced to love... it's not possible.

In America, many children are raised attending church. This is generally done to instill moral values at an early age, in hopes the child won't turn out to be a hoodlum. You somehow think that's a bad thing and we'd all be better off without it. You call it brainwashing... but for what exactly? To abide certain standards of decent behavior? To love and forgive? To be thankful and have grace? Such terrible and awful attributes to instill when we all should be learning behavior from great apes, right?
My point is that religious morality is an oxymoron. You can't have one and the other, if you truly follow a "big three" religion.

Unless you just gloss over all the things they did to get you to modern-day.

I don't just bash Christianity, trust me, Jews and Muslims are equally bad. Their morals dictated that it was "good" to kill/torture/rape infidels. Because they didn't believe in the same religion. It is written in the holy books, and documented in the history books. So as a true believer, someone cannot just gloss over those facts and just take the good parts that make them "feel good". That person has to understand the bad parts. And if they still believe it, then they accept the bad parts, and morally corrupt themselves. If they just accept the good parts, then they don't follow a religion. They follow their personal faith, and they need to understand that. They should not be listening to what the religious rulers say if they are following their personal faith. That's a BIG problem nowadays and in the past....

You don't need religion to teach morals. Otherwise, we never would have survived the first generation of humankind. It can be understood without the need of religious doctrine. And is a principle part of evolution. Because any species that is "evil" (ie "no morals" in the case of humans), will quickly die out. Other species of life show altruism all over the world, without the need to believe in a religion.

And religion's true purpose is to create an army of followers. Willing to donate and die for the benefit of the rulers. That is why it was created.

But, you can have your personal faith, and moral boundaries, without having to sell yourselves to them. It just takes thinking outside the box.

Last edited:

My point is that religious morality is an oxymoron. You can't have one and the other, if you truly follow a "big three" religion.

Unless you just gloss over all the things they did to get you to modern-day.

I don't just bash Christianity, trust me, Jews and Muslims are equally bad. Their morals dictated that it was "good" to kill/torture/rape infidels. Because they didn't believe in the same religion. It is written in the holy books, and documented in the history books. So as a true believer, someone cannot just gloss over those facts and just take the good parts that make them "feel good". That person has to understand the bad parts. And if they still believe it, then they accept the bad parts, and morally corrupt themselves. If they just accept the good parts, then they don't follow a religion. They follow their personal faith, and they need to understand that. They should not be listening to what the religious rulers say if they are following their personal faith. That's a BIG problem nowadays and in the past....

You don't need religion to teach morals. Otherwise, we never would have survived the first generation of humankind. It can be understood without the need of religious doctrine. And is a principle part of evolution. Because any species that is "evil" (ie "no morals" in the case of humans), will quickly die out. Other species of life show altruism all over the world, without the need to believe in a religion.

And religion's true purpose is to create an army of followers. Willing to donate and die for the benefit of the rulers. That is why it was created.

But, you can have your personal faith, and moral boundaries, without having to sell yourselves to them. It just takes thinking outside the box.
But your OP point is easily refuted by the enormous mountain of moral and decent things religion has done. This couldn't exist if religious morality were an oxymoron.

You've not proven that morality could ever have existed without religious (I.e., spiritual) basis, and what's more, there is no evidence to support this opinion. It's an opinion... I'll give you that, it's just baseless.

You can't make human morality part of natural evolution unless you can find it in other forms of nature. We don't find it anywhere but in humans and it appears to be closely tied to our spiritual connection which is also tied to our ability to form civilizations.

As I've said before, at some point, a caveman had to trust something greater than self to sleep next to another caveman who had no reason not to kill him and steal his resources. Because that's how it goes in raw nature devoid of morality.

Religions are the manifestation of our spiritual connection. Yes, there have been people who exploited them for power or nefarious reasons. Yes, terrible things have been done in the name of religion. Those are valid points but you must also consider the good and you're failing to do so.

YOU are anathema to society. The thread OP didn't make a point, it made an unsubstantiated claim.

You people don't hope to correct anything, especially events 200-1500 years old, you just want to bash on Christians. It's probably because they oppose your decadent lifestyle and lack of ethical and moral values, which is quite ironic.

th

It's probably because they oppose your decadent lifestyle and lack of ethical and moral values, which is quite ironic.

you are a perfect contrast of what the 1st century represented and an example of the defection by 4th century christianity, the above religion and the judaeo religion that long since have fought against the morals and ideals the 1st century aspired for a Free Spirit to flourish, and despised the most by you and their books.

For every stupid witch burning ...

th

are you saying you believe "witches" should be burned - or the truth is something else, a Free Spirit as the gal above is what you despise above all else to the point of needing to burning her alive ... that's the truth bossy, we know you all to well.

th

It's probably because they oppose your decadent lifestyle and lack of ethical and moral values, which is quite ironic.

you are a perfect contrast of what the 1st century represented and an example of the defection by 4th century christianity, the above religion and the judaeo religion that long since have fought against the morals and ideals the 1st century aspired for a Free Spirit to flourish, and despised the most by you and their books.

th

are you saying you believe "witches" should be burned - or the truth is something else, a Free Spirit as the gal above is what you despise above all else to the point of needing to burning her alive ... that's the truth bossy, we know you all to well.
Where did I ever say I wanted to burn witches, you stupid and insipid motherfucker? Stop trying to distort the context of my posts and try to be the least bit honest. Your latest pictorial contribution is a radicalism from 4th century fanatics, not Christianity and not even mainstream Islam. I don't condone that nor does any civilized human being. I firmly believe, if you and the OP could have your way and eradicate all religion, you'd see humans doing far worse things to other humans.

th

th

Where did I ever say I wanted to burn witches, you stupid and insipid motherfucker? Stop trying to distort the context of my posts and try to be the least bit honest. Your latest pictorial contribution is a radicalism from 4th century fanatics, not Christianity and not even mainstream Islam. I don't condone that nor does any civilized human being. I firmly believe, if you and the OP could have your way and eradicate all religion, you'd see humans doing far worse things to other humans.
Where did I ever say I wanted to burn witches ...

they are quotes with your name on them from the forum, if you do not care to own up to what you are saying why say it ... brushing off history is quite a leap, no wonder people like you repeat your performance it's something you enjoy and believe in while denying its significance to coverup your true intent.

my religion is the 1st century birth of the true Free Spirit, free from people like you that only think of themselves and use repression where ever possible to manage a narrowminded and selfish existence others are desperate to free themselves from.

Religions are the manifestation of our spiritual connection. Yes, there have been people who exploited them for power or nefarious reasons. Yes, terrible things have been done in the name of religion. Those are valid points but you must also consider the good and you're failing to do so.
Good things can be done without religion. "Good things" have always been done due to good human nature. Religion did not give them that "good human nature". And I'm sick and tired of you peeps that think that no good can be done without religion.... That's ridiculous. Religions take that goodness, and ask you to do the opposite.

That's the part you're having problems with. You can have "good" without religion.

People who do good things for others, should not be doing it because of their religion, but only because it is right.

You seem to think that it requires a religion to understand what is good and bad. And you're wrong. Very wrong.

Which is why religious followers are vulnerable to the dark side. They just need a ruler influential enough to make you do "bad things" again, in the name of "god".

Because, if you are a true believer, your morality is already corrupted, and you may be willing to follow those "old ways" again, and kill everyone who thinks differently. When commanded by god's chosen person....

That's what it means. You're an army in waiting.

Forum List

Back