Remake "Roots"; But make Toby a white Irish actor. Would it be ok?

White Slaves in America Outnumbered Black Slaves - Bet you didn't know that did you?

More whites were sold into slavery in America than blacks. Were you aware? Especially Irish whites.

I think Hollywood should remake the slave movie "Roots". But cast Toby as a white Irish character. Maybe Conan Obrien could be the lead.

"Whutch-yo name boy?"

"Aeden. Aeden O'Sullivan".

"Nope. Yo name Toby. I say Whutch-yo name boy"

"My name Aeden."

Hmmm. Wonder if the left would accept this as gleefully as the black Annie or black Bond or black Star Wars lead haha!!??

Yo, come on? I thought Roots was okay? But they didn`t go back far enough? They should`ve showed his ancestors getting killed with Spears and Arrows, damn, I wanted to see more BLOOD!!!

"GTP"
As Joe Biden Would Say? They Will Put You Back In Chains!
roots-reboot.jpg

The vast majority of slaves that were brought to this nation were black. Some slaves being white in no way diminishes the fact that most were black.

Hey Kids... It's Time For Some Dumb Myths And Smart Facts About Slavery! | VICE | United States

You need to learn your history.

15,000,000 slaves were taken from Africa to our hemisphere. 6% went to America. Yep. But we don't give Brazil shit do we?

White slaves outnumbered black ones through the 1600-1700s. 250 years later...white descendants don't care.

It's mathematically impossible for even half of whites to have owned slaves. At its PEAK...only 1.5% of American whites owned slaves.

"Slave" comes from the root word "Slav" because pale white Slavs were enslaved at such a high rate.

In the medieval ages...blacks actually enslaved whites.

Read up.

The original point we've been discussing is that you claimed more white slaves were brought to America than black and that is hysterically wrong. Now you're trying to expand this discussion to our hemisphere and the medieval ages. lol. Pasting snippets of articles you've googled today doesn't make you historian, it just makes you lazy.

Read up..and by that I mean actual books and scholarly articles, not whatever jazz you lazily googled.
White slaves were not "brought" to America. They agreed to a period of indentured servitude in return for passage

That is a contract, not slavery

Oh piss off and get a history lesson.

In the 1600's child slaves were not indentured servants.

Seriously, the goofball who started this thread intended it to be "funny" (he said) but also to be a whine against what he perceives as "black privilege," but out of it has come some very good conversation and a genuine idea.

The story of the Irish in the Americas has been explored in bits and pieces (Gangs of New York is an excellent film), but only back as far as the mid-19th century. What's really needed is a Ken Burns-level documentary on the earlier eras.

There are enough Irish in this country to get behind the idea. Why not write to ethnic Irish actors, directors, and producers and propose it?

I'd prefer just the truth be told even if it was a producer from @*&^^%$#)#

And this is not to lessen the hell that blacks went thru. But to a sad heritage where people actually believed that it was alright to "own" another,

Hey Kids... It's Time For Some Dumb Myths And Smart Facts About Slavery! | VICE | United States

You need to learn your history.

15,000,000 slaves were taken from Africa to our hemisphere. 6% went to America. Yep. But we don't give Brazil shit do we?

White slaves outnumbered black ones through the 1600-1700s. 250 years later...white descendants don't care.

It's mathematically impossible for even half of whites to have owned slaves. At its PEAK...only 1.5% of American whites owned slaves.

"Slave" comes from the root word "Slav" because pale white Slavs were enslaved at such a high rate.

In the medieval ages...blacks actually enslaved whites.

Read up.

The original point we've been discussing is that you claimed more white slaves were brought to America than black and that is hysterically wrong. Now you're trying to expand this discussion to our hemisphere and the medieval ages. lol. Pasting snippets of articles you've googled today doesn't make you historian, it just makes you lazy.

Read up..and by that I mean actual books and scholarly articles, not whatever jazz you lazily googled.
White slaves were not "brought" to America. They agreed to a period of indentured servitude in return for passage

That is a contract, not slavery

Oh piss off and get a history lesson.

In the 1600's child slaves were not indentured servants.

Seriously, the goofball who started this thread intended it to be "funny" (he said) but also to be a whine against what he perceives as "black privilege," but out of it has come some very good conversation and a genuine idea.

The story of the Irish in the Americas has been explored in bits and pieces (Gangs of New York is an excellent film), but only back as far as the mid-19th century. What's really needed is a Ken Burns-level documentary on the earlier eras.

There are enough Irish in this country to get behind the idea. Why not write to ethnic Irish actors, directors, and producers and propose it?

I'd prefer just the truth be told even if it was a producer from @*&^^%$#)#

And this is not to lessen the hell that blacks went thru. But to a sad heritage where people actually believed that it was alright to "own" another,

I just want the phony victimhood to stop. Libs convince these poor people that because of their ancestry they have little hope. So untrue. Every race and ethnicity suffered from being enslaved.

plus the character of Bond 007 was not built around him being white, nor the character of Annie that I can remember....?

But with Roots, it was strictly an African American story...these actor slaves had to be black to depict the story....
it was built around him being a British white guy.....

Where does it say "white guy"? Not in the novels; I've read them all. Is he described as "white" in any of the scripts? No? Didn't think so.

(You do know there are black people in the UK, right?)
so who has been bond in all the movies since the first one?...

plus the character of Bond 007 was not built around him being white, nor the character of Annie that I can remember....?

But with Roots, it was strictly an African American story...these actor slaves had to be black to depict the story....

Where does it say "white guy"? Not in the novels; I've read them all. Is he described as "white" in any of the scripts? No? Didn't think so.

Three Brits, an Ozzie, a Scotsman, an Irishman, a Welshman, and an American.

who all played a british white guy......

Correct. It's called "acting." And you'd be well advised never to make the mistake of calling a Scotsman (particularly one with Connery's temper) "English."

Now, if you can find any documentation by Ian Fleming or any of the subsequent writers saying "Bond can only be played by a Caucasian," I'd love to see it.

Otherwise, you're simply highlighting the fact that Americans are much more obsessed with melanin than the Brits.

Correct. It's called "acting." And you'd be well advised never to make the mistake of calling a Scotsman (particularly one with Connery's temper) "English."

Now, if you can find any documentation by Ian Fleming or any of the subsequent writers saying "Bond can only be played by a Caucasian," I'd love to see it.

Otherwise, you're simply highlighting the fact that Americans are much more obsessed with melanin than the Brits.
in the novel "you only live twice"....Fleming said bond was scottish/swiss....sounds kinda like a white guy to me...

in the novel "you only live twice"....Fleming said bond was scottish/swiss....sounds kinda like a white guy to me...
Impressive research - thanks! I suppose I could be a nuisance and suggest his mother's roots might have gone back to the Moorish presence in Switzerland, but that would be a stretch.

(But if they did cast Elba as Bond, they probably would throw in something like that.)

There was a similar uproar when Tim Russ was cast as Tuvok in Voyager - lots of fanboys insisting "there's no such thing as a black Vulcan." Well, there is now.

Elba's an excellent actor. The franchise could do worse.

Impressive research - thanks! I suppose I could be a nuisance and suggest his mother's roots might have gone back to the Moorish presence in Switzerland, but that would be a stretch.

(But if they did cast Elba as Bond, they probably would throw in something like that.)

There was a similar uproar when Tim Russ was cast as Tuvok in Voyager - lots of fanboys insisting "there's no such thing as a black Vulcan." Well, there is now.

star trek was different....if those "fans" would have read the Novel "Spocks World" 1988 by Diane Duane.....they would have found that there are indeed Vulcans who are black and live in the really hot and dry parts of Vulcan......but James Bond has been a white guy for as long as there has been Bond....on the new Supergirl show coming up on CBS Jimmy Olson somehow went from a red headed freckled guy to a black guy.....if a fictional character has 50+ years of history you dont change the guy into a totally different person,whats the point?.....i feel the producers are just trying to be politically correct,which is bullshit....if you want a black guy than create a different character for the show.....

star trek was different....if those "fans" would have read the Novel "Spocks World" 1988 by Diane Duane.....they would have found that there are indeed Vulcans who are black and live in the really hot and dry parts of Vulcan......but James Bond has been a white guy for as long as there has been Bond....on the new Supergirl show coming up on CBS Jimmy Olson somehow went from a red headed freckled guy to a black guy.....if a fictional character has 50+ years of history you dont change the guy into a totally different person,whats the point?.....i feel the producers are just trying to be politically correct,which is bullshit....if you want a black guy than create a different character for the show.....
Its a show. Why do you care if the character was changed? If he started off white why didnt they start him off Black?

With Star Trek, I don't think the novels get as much play as screen Trek, but you make an excellent point.

As for Jimmy Olson, the change doesn't bother me. For one thing, when Supes was created (and during the TV version in the 1950s), no newspaper would have hired a black reporter, so historically the freckled redhead made more sense. Besides, he's a secondary character; imagine the hysteria if they made Superman black!

(I've always heard - don't know if it's true - that the original proposal for Batman was that he was black ("the Dark Knight" would have more than one meaning), but the editors freaked out.

The way I see it, entertainment media always needs new audiences. They want to appeal to everybody who reads/watches their stuff. If a minority kid sees nothing but white faces, s/he's not going to buy into the media. And if s/he sees positive role models, they might be inspiring.

What bothers me is when they take a classic like Sherlock Holmes and put it in the 21st century. I don't know if the Cumberbatch version is at all accurate. I don't care, because I hate the premise. But I think it's more about pandering to the women who think he's All That (they even call themselves "Cumberbitches"). JMO.

With Star Trek, I don't think the novels get as much play as screen Trek, but you make an excellent point.

As for Jimmy Olson, the change doesn't bother me. For one thing, when Supes was created (and during the TV version in the 1950s), no newspaper would have hired a black reporter, so historically the freckled redhead made more sense. Besides, he's a secondary character; imagine the hysteria if they made Superman black!

(I've always heard - don't know if it's true - that the original proposal for Batman was that he was black ("the Dark Knight" would have more than one meaning), but the editors freaked out.

The way I see it, entertainment media always needs new audiences. They want to appeal to everybody who reads/watches their stuff. If a minority kid sees nothing but white faces, s/he's not going to buy into the media. And if s/he sees positive role models, they might be inspiring.

What bothers me is when they take a classic like Sherlock Holmes and put it in the 21st century. I don't know if the Cumberbatch version is at all accurate. I don't care, because I hate the premise. But I think it's more about pandering to the women who think he's All That (they even call themselves "Cumberbitches"). JMO.
They have.

323399dbad0ef555638813283867ff2a.jpg

BYWXowZCIAAp07I.jpg

Last edited:

Its a show. Why do you care if the character was changed? If he started off white why didnt they start him off Black?
so you would not say anything if Blade was suddenly a white guy right?....or if Luke Cage in the upcoming show on Net Flix was now a white guy right?.....and i care because i am a fan of the comics.....there are now plenty of black heros and villains so no need to change anyone's color,and if you want a non white guy to be in the show then create a non white character for the show... dont turn a lilly white red headed guy who has been that way since the 40's into a black guy just to try and be inclusive.....if you want a black character then create one or bring in one from a fellow comic....
If he started off white why didnt they start him off Black?
you do know who Jimmy Olson is and what decade he first appeared right?...

Last edited:

They have.

323399dbad0ef555638813283867ff2a.jpg

BYWXowZCIAAp07I.jpg
thats from an alternate universe earth-2 if im not mistaken so its not the same superman......and thats the way it should be done if they want to do these types of things....after the death of superman at the hands of doomsday in the 90's one of the new supermen showing up was a black guy named Steel....

so you would not say anything if Blade was suddenly a white guy right?....or if Luke Cage in the upcoming show on Net Flix was now a white guy right?.....and i care because i am a fan of the comics.....there are now plenty of black heros and villains so no need to change anyone's color,and if you want a non white guy to be in the show then create a non white character for the show... dont turn a lilly white red headed guy who has been that way since the 40's into a black guy just to try and be inclusive.....if you want a black character then create one or bring in one from a fellow comic....

Fake movies dont really concern me at all. When it comes to historical events they should have the person represented correctly. For instance they have portrayed the ancient egyptians as white and have convinced several generations that this is correct.

Since the Jimmy Olson is fictional I dont care what decade he appeared. There were Black people here at that time.

Fake movies dont really concern me at all. When it comes to historical events they should have the person represented correctly. For instance they have portrayed the ancient egyptians as white and have convinced several generations that this is correct.

Since the Jimmy Olson is fictional I dont care what decade he appeared. There were Black people here at that time.
Black people who would not have been hired as reporters - except for a paper with an all-black staff - at the time the character was created.