Remake "Roots"; But make Toby a white Irish actor. Would it be ok?

Slaves of a different color

Read up on it. This is Salon. A very liberal group...which is why I picked them for objectivity. Even they were stunned to learn details about this historical fact which has been whitewashed from history. When they tried to research it...they were met with resistance such as "you can't take slavery away from blacks" and some black professor just saying "who cares".

"You can't take slavery away from blacks". That's why white slavery has been all but forgotten.

I am aware that some whites were sold into slavery in America but your claim that more whites were sold into slavery in America than blacks isn't confirmed by the article you've given me. In fact, the article states it was a rare event for whites to be sold into slavery.
. Whites have always outnumbered the blacks. Why wouldn't there be more of them?

The vast majority of slaves that were brought to this nation were black. Some slaves being white in no way diminishes the fact that most were black.

Hey Kids... It's Time For Some Dumb Myths And Smart Facts About Slavery! | VICE | United States

You need to learn your history.

15,000,000 slaves were taken from Africa to our hemisphere. 6% went to America. Yep. But we don't give Brazil shit do we?

White slaves outnumbered black ones through the 1600-1700s. 250 years later...white descendants don't care.

It's mathematically impossible for even half of whites to have owned slaves. At its PEAK...only 1.5% of American whites owned slaves.

"Slave" comes from the root word "Slav" because pale white Slavs were enslaved at such a high rate.

In the medieval ages...blacks actually enslaved whites.

Read up.

The original point we've been discussing is that you claimed more white slaves were brought to America than black and that is hysterically wrong. Now you're trying to expand this discussion to our hemisphere and the medieval ages. lol. Pasting snippets of articles you've googled today doesn't make you historian, it just makes you lazy.

Read up..and by that I mean actual books and scholarly articles, not whatever jazz you lazily googled.
White slaves were not "brought" to America. They agreed to a period of indentured servitude in return for passage

That is a contract, not slavery

The vast majority of slaves that were brought to this nation were black. Some slaves being white in no way diminishes the fact that most were black.

Hey Kids... It's Time For Some Dumb Myths And Smart Facts About Slavery! | VICE | United States

15,000,000 slaves were taken from Africa to our hemisphere. 6% went to America. Yep. But we don't give Brazil shit do we?

White slaves outnumbered black ones through the 1600-1700s. 250 years later...white descendants don't care.

It's mathematically impossible for even half of whites to have owned slaves. At its PEAK...only 1.5% of American whites owned slaves.

"Slave" comes from the root word "Slav" because pale white Slavs were enslaved at such a high rate.

Read up.

The original point we've been discussing is that you claimed more white slaves were brought to America than black and that is hysterically wrong. Now you're trying to expand this discussion to our hemisphere and the medieval ages. lol. Pasting snippets of articles you've googled today doesn't make you historian, it just makes you lazy.

Read up..and by that I mean actual books and scholarly articles, not whatever jazz you lazily googled.

Um....there were. I stand by that. And yes...I expanded to other facts of slavery that most public school educated kids will never be taught.

No, white slaves didn't out number black slaves in America. You pulled that directly from your ass. You didn't expand on anything, you pasted a mishmash of quotes from the top two articles you googled. lol. What you think 'most public schools educated kids will never be taught' has never been apart of this conversation.

They did. You just don't want to research any more and learn history. White people in general VASTLY outnumbered blacks...so naturally...the % may be lower but raw numbers higher. In the history of America from 1600-present....more whites have been enslaved than blacks. Fact.
That is bullshit

There were eight million black slaves. White indentured servants never approached that number

There seems to be a mental obligation for white-black interracial dating & black leader & such on TV. I think that "forceful obligation" is what's being the issue. Not whether a black should be a leader (which would be easier to perceive for dumb people who want to feel sophisticated).

Great to see Harrison Ford back in Star Wars.

Hope they get all his scenes done before he decides to go flying again :)

They for the most part suffered the same if not more.

Think about the way slaves were regarded. This is just a basic. Your blacks were your prized possessions. Like a John Deere product. White slaves not so much. No white slave could out work a black.

As much as it makes me want to bazooka barf your slave from Africa was top of the line. From Ireland.........not so much.

The differences are several. Primary among them was the ability of the whites to buy their way to freedom - usually within seven years - and then move about freely in white society. You can't argue that blacks were permitted the same.

There are people in similar situations in America today - immigrants, usually from Asia, who are smuggled into the country by organized gangs who require years of labor from them (sex trade for the pretty ones; sweatshops for the rest) before they can be freed, if then.

I am aware that some whites were sold into slavery in America but your claim that more whites were sold into slavery in America than blacks isn't confirmed by the article you've given me. In fact, the article states it was a rare event for whites to be sold into slavery.
. Whites have always outnumbered the blacks. Why wouldn't there be more of them?

Read up.

White slaves were not "brought" to America. They agreed to a period of indentured servitude in return for passage

England sent a lot of white criminals over here and to Australia that became "indentured servants"

Think about the way slaves were regarded. This is just a basic. Your blacks were your prized possessions. Like a John Deere product. White slaves not so much. No white slave could out work a black.

As much as it makes me want to bazooka barf your slave from Africa was top of the line. From Ireland.........not so much.

The differences are several. Primary among them was the ability of the whites to buy their way to freedom - usually within seven years - and then move about freely in white society. You can't argue that blacks were permitted the same.

There are people in similar situations in America today - immigrants, usually from Asia, who are smuggled into the country by organized gangs who require years of labor from them (sex trade for the pretty ones; sweatshops for the rest) before they can be freed, if then.

My apologies. I'm in the land of 10 months of winter and bad skating and trying to rip out my tomatillo plants. And my Kongs. It was a very good year.

You are talking about the years later. Where there were indentured slaves. I'm talking about the first slaves in America.

First slaves in America were babies under the age of ten. From Britain and they were white. Then they went hey lets send over the street urchins to work in the fields. Not kidding.

Then you hit White Cargo in the Cromwell years. My heart breaks typing this.

And all of this is not to diminish the African trade versus the Irish trade.

Read up.

England sent a lot of white criminals over here and to Australia that became "indentured servants"

Not all of them were criminals, and "crime" could be what we'd consider a misdemeanor. Mostly it was just England's decision to get rid of "undesirables," which had a very broad definition.

Someone really should make a film about indentured servants, someone with the access, means, and track record to do so (Ken Burns?).

My apologies. I'm in the land of 10 months of winter and bad skating and trying to rip out my tomatillo plants. And my Kongs. It was a very good year.

You are talking about the years later. Where there were indentured slaves. I'm talking about the first slaves in America.

First slaves in America were babies under the age of ten. From Britain and they were white. Then they went hey lets send over the street urchins to work in the fields. Not kidding.

Then you hit White Cargo in the Cromwell years. My heart breaks typing this.

And all of this is not to diminish the African trade versus the Irish trade.

It doesn't diminish it at all. All it does is kinda ruins the slavery argument for some as a reason why some races deserve special advantages.

Every race has enslaved and been enslaved all over the world.

There seems to be a mental obligation for white-black interracial dating & black leader & such on TV. I think that "forceful obligation" is what's being the issue. Not whether a black should be a leader (which would be easier to perceive for dumb people who want to feel sophisticated).

Great to see Harrison Ford back in Star Wars.
does he have his walker with him?.....is he wearing his toupee?...

White Slaves in America Outnumbered Black Slaves - Bet you didn't know that did you?

More whites were sold into slavery in America than blacks. Were you aware? Especially Irish whites.

I think Hollywood should remake the slave movie "Roots". But cast Toby as a white Irish character. Maybe Conan Obrien could be the lead.

"Whutch-yo name boy?"

"Aeden. Aeden O'Sullivan".

"Nope. Yo name Toby. I say Whutch-yo name boy"

"My name Aeden."

Hmmm. Wonder if the left would accept this as gleefully as the black Annie or black Bond or black Star Wars lead haha!!??
Why be a copy-cat (assuming you could get the rights from the Haley estate) and pay to do a remake of somebody else's work?

Write your own script about the Redlegs. It's certainly an unexamined piece of American history. But brace yourself for the backlash from the "Scots-Irish" who will object to the portrayals.

Same reason they didn't do an original...but instead want to cast a black person as Bond or Annie.

I want Roots remade...but Toby is white.

^Retarded

Bond and Annie are fictional characters while slavery was quite real.

plus the character of Bond 007 was not built around him being white, nor the character of Annie that I can remember....?

But with Roots, it was strictly an African American story...these actor slaves had to be black to depict the story....
it was built around him being a British white guy.....

Read up.

Um....there were. I stand by that. And yes...I expanded to other facts of slavery that most public school educated kids will never be taught.

No, white slaves didn't out number black slaves in America. You pulled that directly from your ass. You didn't expand on anything, you pasted a mishmash of quotes from the top two articles you googled. lol. What you think 'most public schools educated kids will never be taught' has never been apart of this conversation.

They did. You just don't want to research any more and learn history. White people in general VASTLY outnumbered blacks...so naturally...the % may be lower but raw numbers higher. In the history of America from 1600-present....more whites have been enslaved than blacks. Fact.
As usual you make idiotic claims. Besides Asians there are way more Blacks on this planet than whites. Matter of fact their are more Black people just in Africa than all the whites on the planet. Whites only make up 5% of the worlds population and falling. Pure whites are inbred so their numbers took a drastic hit and continue to dwindle. :laugh:

Whites have always and will always be in the minority on this planet.

plus the character of Bond 007 was not built around him being white, nor the character of Annie that I can remember....?

But with Roots, it was strictly an African American story...these actor slaves had to be black to depict the story....
it was built around him being a British white guy.....

Where does it say "white guy"? Not in the novels; I've read them all. Is he described as "white" in any of the scripts? No? Didn't think so.

(You do know there are black people in the UK, right?)

Read up.

Oh piss off and get a history lesson.

In the 1600's child slaves were not indentured servants.

Read up.

Oh piss off and get a history lesson.

In the 1600's child slaves were not indentured servants.

Seriously, the goofball who started this thread intended it to be "funny" (he said) but also to be a whine against what he perceives as "black privilege," but out of it has come some very good conversation and a genuine idea.

The story of the Irish in the Americas has been explored in bits and pieces (Gangs of New York is an excellent film), but only back as far as the mid-19th century. What's really needed is a Ken Burns-level documentary on the earlier eras.

There are enough Irish in this country to get behind the idea. Why not write to ethnic Irish actors, directors, and producers and propose it?