Remembering Robert E. Lee: American Patriot and Southern Hero

Robert E. Lee.
His Brutality To His Slaves.

Let's hear from one of Lee's slaves on how benevolent he was::​

My name is Wesley Norris; I was born a slave on the plantation of George Parke Custis; after the death of Mr. Custis, Gen. Lee, who had been made executor of the estate, assumed control of the slaves, in number about seventy; it was the general impression among the slaves of Mr. Custis that on his death they should be forever free; in fact this statement had been made to them by Mr. C. years before; at his death we were informed by Gen. Lee that by the conditions of the will we must remain slaves for five years;

I remained with Gen. Lee for about seventeen months, when my sister Mary, a cousin of ours, and I determined to run away, which we did in the year 1859; we had already reached Westminster, in Maryland, on our way to the North, when we were apprehended and thrown into prison, and Gen. Lee notified of our arrest; we remained in prison fifteen days, when we were sent back to Arlington; we were immediately taken before Gen. Lee, who demanded the reason why we ran away; we frankly told him that we considered ourselves free;

he then told us he would teach us a lesson we never would forget; he then ordered us to the barn, where, in his presence, we were tied firmly to posts by a Mr. Gwin, our overseer, who was ordered by Gen. Lee to strip us to the waist and give us fifty lashes each, excepting my sister, who received but twenty; we were accordingly stripped to the skin by the overseer, who, however, had sufficient humanity to decline whipping us; accordingly Dick Williams, a county constable, was called in, who gave us the number of lashes ordered; Gen. Lee, in the meantime, stood by, and frequently enjoined Williams to lay it on well, an injunction which he did not fail to heed; not satisfied with simply lacerating our naked flesh,

Gen. Lee then ordered the overseer to thoroughly wash our backs with brine, which was done
. After this my cousin and myself were sent to Hanover Court-House jail, my sister being sent to Richmond to an agent to be hired; we remained in jail about a week, when we were sent to Nelson county, where we were hired out by Gen. Lee’s agent to work on the Orange and Alexander railroad; we remained thus employed for about seven months, and were then sent to Alabama, and put to work on what is known as the Northeastern railroad; in January, 1863, we were sent to Richmond, from which place I finally made my escape through the rebel lines to freedom; I have nothing further to say; what I have stated is true in every particular, and I can at any time bring at least a dozen witnesses, both white and black, to substantiate my statements: I am at present employed by the Government; and am at work in the National Cemetery on Arlington Heights, where I can be found by those who desire further particulars; my sister referred to is at present employed by the French Minister at Washington, and will confirm my statement."

Robert E. Lee His Brutality to His Slaves 1866 . By Wesley Norris in NATIONAL ANTI-SLAVERY STANDARD Vol. XXVI. No. 49 April 14 1866 . Whole No. 1 349 Fair Use Repository

Bottom line, Lee owned slaves and he fought for the side to preserve the practice.

Bottom line, since he was going with the North if Virginia didn't secede, that wasn't his motivation. He was fighting for his home, his State.

Paperview says your homes and families and community and business and property don't matter. He's an idiot.

In fact, had Virginia not voted for secession, he almost certainly would have been the commanding general of the north. Lincoln even offered him the job, but once Virginia went with secession he couldn't bare to fight against his beloved home. He knew slavery had no future, and he personally would have chosen to end the practice to prevent the divided nation.
how, with his magic wand?

:rofl:

oh please, he chose rebellion over unity of the USA. he was a traitor. All traitors have reasons

I quoted the definition of treason in the Constitution for idiots like you, and no one in the Confederacy meets that definition.

Last edited:
moron alert!!

Thanks for announcing your presence.
I know you are, but what am I?

Precisely I expected from a self-professed multi-millionaire such as yourself. :rofl:
Liar. I never said I'm a multi-millionaire. I said I paid millions in taxes. What a POS moron you are.

Of course you have....shortly before you rode your unicorn to work at the cloud factory. You're so special.
Unicorns do not exist, but yes I have worked on cloud technology. No I'm not special. You are special in that you need a portion of my income to survive.

Looks like the "north" just ass whooped the "south" once again!

How many centuries are you sore losers going to cry about this?

All you dumbasses haven't won a single point in this entire thread. All you can do is sling ad hominems and personal attacks around.

You should probably just say that Robert E. Lee was one of the greatest commanders this nation ever produced and just let it go at that.

I'm not really sure that is true. Great commanders win. He lost.

I'm sure that makes perfect sense if you just don't think about it.

We believe in fighting wars that are just, you believe in fighting wars you can win. Who's the hawk? LOL.

The Union fought a war that was just and they won. A twofer. :D

That war was in no way "just."
It's just because the Union was attacked first. Just like WWII was just for the Union because Japan attacked us first and Nazi Germany declared war on us first.

Pearl Harbor was American soil. Ft Sumter was South Carolina territory, not US territory. The Union was not attacked. South Caroline kicked some trespassers out of its territory. Lincoln had as much justification for invading Virginia as Hitler had for invading Poland or Saddam had for invading Kuwait.
No, Ft. Sumter was US territory. No matter how you wish it otherwise.

Wrong.

We know Lee fought against the Union, thus fought for slavery.

stmike talking about history is similar to a hamster eating the pages of a history book.
The Civil War was not fought over slavery.

What better authority to make that statement than a clown with bogus racism quotes in his sigline and an avatar equating black people to monkeys.

SMH....

Robert E. Lee.

My name is Wesley Norris; I was born a slave on the plantation of George Parke Custis; after the death of Mr. Custis, Gen. Lee, who had been made executor of the estate, assumed control of the slaves, in number about seventy; it was the general impression among the slaves of Mr. Custis that on his death they should be forever free; in fact this statement had been made to them by Mr. C. years before; at his death we were informed by Gen. Lee that by the conditions of the will we must remain slaves for five years;

I remained with Gen. Lee for about seventeen months, when my sister Mary, a cousin of ours, and I determined to run away, which we did in the year 1859; we had already reached Westminster, in Maryland, on our way to the North, when we were apprehended and thrown into prison, and Gen. Lee notified of our arrest; we remained in prison fifteen days, when we were sent back to Arlington; we were immediately taken before Gen. Lee, who demanded the reason why we ran away; we frankly told him that we considered ourselves free;

he then told us he would teach us a lesson we never would forget; he then ordered us to the barn, where, in his presence, we were tied firmly to posts by a Mr. Gwin, our overseer, who was ordered by Gen. Lee to strip us to the waist and give us fifty lashes each, excepting my sister, who received but twenty; we were accordingly stripped to the skin by the overseer, who, however, had sufficient humanity to decline whipping us; accordingly Dick Williams, a county constable, was called in, who gave us the number of lashes ordered; Gen. Lee, in the meantime, stood by, and frequently enjoined Williams to lay it on well, an injunction which he did not fail to heed; not satisfied with simply lacerating our naked flesh,

Gen. Lee then ordered the overseer to thoroughly wash our backs with brine, which was done
. After this my cousin and myself were sent to Hanover Court-House jail, my sister being sent to Richmond to an agent to be hired; we remained in jail about a week, when we were sent to Nelson county, where we were hired out by Gen. Lee’s agent to work on the Orange and Alexander railroad; we remained thus employed for about seven months, and were then sent to Alabama, and put to work on what is known as the Northeastern railroad; in January, 1863, we were sent to Richmond, from which place I finally made my escape through the rebel lines to freedom; I have nothing further to say; what I have stated is true in every particular, and I can at any time bring at least a dozen witnesses, both white and black, to substantiate my statements: I am at present employed by the Government; and am at work in the National Cemetery on Arlington Heights, where I can be found by those who desire further particulars; my sister referred to is at present employed by the French Minister at Washington, and will confirm my statement."

Robert E. Lee His Brutality to His Slaves 1866 . By Wesley Norris in NATIONAL ANTI-SLAVERY STANDARD Vol. XXVI. No. 49 April 14 1866 . Whole No. 1 349 Fair Use Repository

Bottom line, Lee owned slaves and he fought for the side to preserve the practice.

Bottom line, since he was going with the North if Virginia didn't secede, that wasn't his motivation. He was fighting for his home, his State.

Paperview says your homes and families and community and business and property don't matter. He's an idiot.

In fact, had Virginia not voted for secession, he almost certainly would have been the commanding general of the north. Lincoln even offered him the job, but once Virginia went with secession he couldn't bare to fight against his beloved home. He knew slavery had no future, and he personally would have chosen to end the practice to prevent the divided nation.

oh please, he chose rebellion over unity of the USA. he was a traitor. All traitors have reasons

I said, had he had the "choice". That's not saying he was willing to fight AGAINST the south over it, it just means he wasn't personally willing to fight the north specifically to save the institution of slavery.

The Union fought a war that was just and they won. A twofer. :D

It's just because the Union was attacked first. Just like WWII was just for the Union because Japan attacked us first and Nazi Germany declared war on us first.

Pearl Harbor was American soil. Ft Sumter was South Carolina territory, not US territory. The Union was not attacked. South Caroline kicked some trespassers out of its territory. Lincoln had as much justification for invading Virginia as Hitler had for invading Poland or Saddam had for invading Kuwait.

You highlight the first realm of idiocy of his argument. Here is what he is saying happened....

The US Government built these forts around the nation. The State government voted to leave the US so any US Government property, therefore, becomes the property of the State.

Can you imagine, if this were to happen today, that he'd be okay with the items his supposed tax money went to build and create were to be confiscated by Michigan or Indiana?

It happens all the time, moron. How many countries have asked the United States to leave and abandon their military facilities in the country? We just abandoned several major military installations in Iraq.

Just about everything you post is not just wrong, it's idiotic.

Robert E. Lee.

Given Lee's ambiguous orders to Ewell at Gettysburg, let me offer a "whew" that he wasn't in the Union army.

Lee had his triumphs, and his miscalculations, and his final record is mixed.

All you dumbasses haven't won a single point in this entire thread. All you can do is sling ad hominems and personal attacks around.

You should probably just say that Robert E. Lee was one of the greatest commanders this nation ever produced and just let it go at that.

Another idiocy from the Lincoln cult. Was Rommel a great commander? Hannibal?

Thanks for announcing your presence.

Precisely I expected from a self-professed multi-millionaire such as yourself. :rofl:
Liar. I never said I'm a multi-millionaire. I said I paid millions in taxes. What a POS moron you are.

Of course you have....shortly before you rode your unicorn to work at the cloud factory. You're so special.
Unicorns do not exist,.

Your "millions" paid in taxes and Unicorns have something in common then.

Hannibal..sure. Won several battles, went on to be statesman of sorts.
Rommel; not really. Had a weary world to conquer backed up by an incredible war machine that hadn't been attacked. Once it was...oh well, much to your chagrin I'm sure...he was powerless to stop the onslaught.

Robert E. Lee.

Given Lee's ambiguous orders to Ewell at Gettysburg, let me offer a "whew" that he wasn't in the Union army.

Lee had his triumphs, and his miscalculations, and his final record is mixed.

Agreed. He's the Trent Dilfer of his time.

You highlight the first realm of idiocy of his argument. Here is what he is saying happened....

The US Government built these forts around the nation. The State government voted to leave the US so any US Government property, therefore, becomes the property of the State.

Can you imagine, if this were to happen today, that he'd be okay with the items his supposed tax money went to build and create were to be confiscated by Michigan or Indiana?

It happens all the time, moron. How many countries have asked the United States to leave and abandon their military facilities in the country? We just abandoned several major military installations in Iraq.

All the time? Hardly. And over-seas aren't always strategically important that we keep them open so we agree to close/turnover the bases; mutual benefit....

But lets go there. Lets say that someone attacks our base in Country X....you want to commemorate the attacker? Well, no I guess that's not an apples to apples comparison. You'd be on the side of the attacker; rejoicing in each American soldier shot and killed if your love of the CSA is any indication.

Robert E. Lee.

I said, had he had the "choice". That's not saying he was willing to fight AGAINST the south over it, it just means he wasn't personally willing to fight the north specifically to save the institution of slavery.

And this is why I believe a better name for a black lab is Jefferson Finis Davis than Robert E. Lee.

Rommel; not really. Had a weary world to conquer backed up by an incredible war machine that hadn't been attacked. Once it was...oh well, much to your chagrin I'm sure...he was powerless to stop the onslaught.

Hannibal lost his last battle. The Romans chased him all over the Mediterranean until they tracked him down and he committed suicide before the could capture him. However, he was probably the greatest general that ever lived.

Rommel won battle after battle against the British even though he confronted incredible odds against him.

Once again, you proved you're an ignoramus who doesn't know the slightest thing about any subject being discusses in this thread, and you think you're winning!

All the time? Hardly. And over-seas aren't always strategically important that we keep them open so we agree to close/turnover the bases; mutual benefit....

But lets go there. Lets say that someone attacks our base in Country X....you want to commemorate the attacker? Well, no I guess that's not an apples to apples comparison. You'd be on the side of the attacker; rejoicing in each American soldier shot and killed if your love of the CSA is any indication.

If country 'X' tells us to get the hell out and we refuse, do you think we would be justified in attacking them? Really?

Hannibal lost his last battle. The Romans chased him all over the Mediterranean until they tracked him down and he committed suicide before the could capture him. However, he was probably the greatest general that ever lived.

Rommel won battle after battle against the British even though he confronted incredible odds against him.

Once again, you proved you're an ignoramus who doesn't know the slightest thing about any subject being discusses in this thread, and you think you're winning!

No, I've actually won when you said I should be able to convert my palatial condo into a country of it's own or that Houston could succeed from Texas and become it's own nation.

The rest is just me running up the score.

PS: Most generals back then lost their last battle...moron.

If country 'X' tells us to get the hell out and we refuse, do you think we would be justified in attacking them? Really?

If they fire on us...sure. I'll call it the Michael Brown syndrome. He hits you, you're apparently justified in shooting him six times.

Unicorns do not exist,.

My millions were hard earned then pissed away by my government. Unicorns have never existed. The only thing they have in common is your whacked out belief that because you believe in unicorns you have a right to my income.

Unicorns do not exist,.

Unicorns have never existed.

Neither has the income that you've paid "millions" on.

Forum List

Back