Republicans Say The Size Of Your Tax Refund Doesn’t Matter

And Sen. Chuck Grassley said refunds are a “stupid” way of judging the GOP tax law.

WASHINGTON ― Several million households may be getting a surprise tax bill this filing season because of the new GOP tax law, but Republicans insist nobody should be mad.

The law’s authors argue that people should not evaluate the new tax code based on the size of their refunds because refunds happen when workers have too much money withheld from their paychecks ― not necessarily because their taxes went up.

“Why don’t you write a story saying, ‘You’re stupid to look at your refund to see whether or not you got a tax increase or a decrease,’” Senate Finance Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) told HuffPost this week. “You can’t measure by the refund.”

More: Republicans Say The Size Of Your Tax Refund Doesn't Matter

This sounds like smoke and mirrors to me. What do you think?
A refund isn't what you seem to think it is.
BTW, how much is deducted from your pay isn't the only tax you pay. Did you know about excise taxes???

Grassley is a arrogant boob who thinks he is smarter than anyone else. People are not stupid if they want a big refund. Republicans wanted to play politics by changing the withholding tables. instead of letting the old tables remain in place and let people make adjustments after they see that.
Yes, you're stupid if you think an important aspect of your taxes is the refund.

Stupid, stupid, STOOPIT!

You are the stupid arrogant asshole. Republicans would have been smarter to leave the withholding tables alone and let people see where thy stand and let people adjust their withholding if they want.

For some people it is depending on what they want. It is a way to buy something nice for yourself if you want.

So you and others use tax refunds as a savings account? That is pretty insane putting money in an interest free savings account.

I guess there are those that can’t save money any other way, don’t know.

If you want more back, set your withholding to zero.

If your refund was lower this year than last...and you didn't see a decent increase in your weekly check...you didn't get shit for a "tax cut"

This isn't rocket surgery

I pulled in a couple hundred a month more and got a small refund. It worked for me, maybe you made too much.

And Sen. Chuck Grassley said refunds are a “stupid” way of judging the GOP tax law.

WASHINGTON ― Several million households may be getting a surprise tax bill this filing season because of the new GOP tax law, but Republicans insist nobody should be mad.

The law’s authors argue that people should not evaluate the new tax code based on the size of their refunds because refunds happen when workers have too much money withheld from their paychecks ― not necessarily because their taxes went up.

“Why don’t you write a story saying, ‘You’re stupid to look at your refund to see whether or not you got a tax increase or a decrease,’” Senate Finance Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) told HuffPost this week. “You can’t measure by the refund.”

Set your witholdings to zero, then have your employer withhold an extra $200 a paycheck, that way you will get a huge refund and not pay taxes. Your problem is solved.

That only the confused and ignorant think that a smaller return means your taxes did not go down.
Fact is, if nothing in your life changed from 2017 to 2018, you are virtually guaranteed to pay less federal income tax in 2018 than 2017.

Grassley is a arrogant boob who thinks he is smarter than anyone else. People are not stupid if they want a big refund. Republicans wanted to play politics by changing the withholding tables. instead of letting the old tables remain in place and let people make adjustments after they see that.
Yes, you're stupid if you think an important aspect of your taxes is the refund.

Stupid, stupid, STOOPIT!

You are the stupid arrogant asshole. Republicans would have been smarter to leave the withholding tables alone and let people see where thy stand and let people adjust their withholding if they want.

For some people it is depending on what they want. It is a way to buy something nice for yourself if you want.

So you and others use tax refunds as a savings account? That is pretty insane putting money in an interest free savings account.

Dude...stop being stupid. What is the amount of interest on the average tax bill?

$100 ? Less?

The idiots seem to have been let out of the asylum
Let's go over this one more time.

Payroll withholding for FEDERAL taxes (or state) is an advance payment on your tax bill. If it is set up exactly correctly you neither get a refund nor owe any tax when you do your return.

But that's NOT what most people do isi it? In fact your employer sets it up (in conjunction with you when you fill out your W-4 form) so that you never have a tax bill at the end of the year...

In fact they (or you on your W-4) set it up in such a way that there is a CUSHION...extra money withheld that becomes a refund.

So if you REALLY got a tax cut. It's GOING to show up in EITHER a bigger paycheck (over and above any pay increase you may have also gotten) OR in an increased refund.

If your paycheck only increased by the amount of a raise..or not at all...a REFUND would reflect that tax cut if you got one. If neither your paycheck NOR your refund show an increase (above any raise you may have gotten)...you did NOT get a tax cut.

If your paycheck remained the same and your refund was smaller than last year? You got a tax INCREASE.

It's pretty fucking simple.

If your paycheck only increased by the amount of a raise..or not at all...a REFUND would reflect that tax cut if you got one. If neither your paycheck NOR your refund show an increase (above any raise you may have gotten)...you did NOT get a tax cut.
If your paycheck remained the same and your refund was smaller than last year? You got a tax INCREASE..
Thank you, captain obvious.
Why would someone's withholding - that is, the size of their paycheck - remain the same and their refund decrease?

Stupid, stupid, STOOPIT!

Dude...stop being stupid. What is the amount of interest on the average tax bill?

$100 ? Less?
Lying sack of shit, don't be stupid what's the interest on all your tax refunds added up over your entire pathetic life?

What would you have if you put all the money you let the government use for free into a Roth IRA over the span of your pathetic life?

I think you are stupid as dirt. You pay less tax, you get a smaller refund.
That's not even close to how it works stupid

Your payroll tax is advance payment on your Federal tax bill. If you pay less tax it shows up EITHER in your paycheck or your refund.

If neither increases...you didn't get a tax cut.
Fake news from a liar.

The idiots seem to have been let out of the asylum
Let's go over this one more time.

Payroll withholding for FEDERAL taxes (or state) is an advance payment on your tax bill. If it is set up exactly correctly you neither get a refund nor owe any tax when you do your return.

But that's NOT what most people do isi it? In fact your employer sets it up (in conjunction with you when you fill out your W-4 form) so that you never have a tax bill at the end of the year...

In fact they (or you on your W-4) set it up in such a way that there is a CUSHION...extra money withheld that becomes a refund.

So if you REALLY got a tax cut. It's GOING to show up in EITHER a bigger paycheck (over and above any pay increase you may have also gotten) OR in an increased refund.

If your paycheck remained the same and your refund was smaller than last year? You got a tax INCREASE.

It's pretty fucking simple.

Well, the simple - and glaringly obvious - fact is that Democrats think voters are stupid enough that they only care about the size of the refund. They may be right.

And the simple glaring fact is that Trumpers are trying to hide the fact that the "tax cut" was anything BUT that for anyone not rich.

People ain't as stupid as you pretend and cynically YOU know you probably were affected negatively by this as well

Nothing better than reverse psychology from rich bitches...

And the simple glaring fact is that Trumpers are trying to hide the fact that the "tax cut" was anything BUT that for anyone not rich.

People ain't as stupid as you pretend and cynically YOU know you probably were affected negatively by this as well
I sure did miss my personal deduction(it increased my taxes)...

Just don't see that Lesh. If it is true, if people are actually paying more in taxes, the government has all the stats and you can bet Democrats would be all over it. Instead, they're whinging about the refunds. I bet I know why.

Stupid, stupid, STOOPIT!

I'm not a republican pinhead....And you're still dumber than a bag of hammers.

Just don't see that Lesh. If it is true, if people are actually paying more in taxes, the government has all the stats and you can bet Democrats would be all over it. Instead, they're whinging about the refunds. I bet I know why.

They are pointing out refunds because it's the simplest way to make the point.

My point stands. EIther your check got bigger...your refund got bigger..or you didn't get a tax cut

My point stands. EIther your check got bigger...your refund got bigger..or you didn't get a tax cut
They're pointing out refunds because they're relying on simps like you and the OP, who act like those refunds -your own money- are manna from heaven.

Well, you've changed your story - and it does make more sense now. But that's not what the Dems are spinning. They're pretending that if your refund went down, you paid more taxes - regardless of any other factors. And they're counting on idiots to believe it.

Forum List

Back