Restaurant Owner Wants The Right To Refuse Service

How can this be? After all, Rand Paul and the libertarians swear that the free market will prevent businesses from discriminating, hence there's no need for anti-discrimination laws. Yet this business has been discriminating for decades, so it's clearly doing okay by the free market.

It's because prejudice can be profitable for a business, provided a substantial percentage of the people around it are prejudiced in the same way. Hence the need for anti-discrimination laws.

This is 2014 and people in this country are still talking about white only businesses smmfh.

I like these people trying this kind of thing. Let's me know not to patronize them. :)

Plus it's like the 1st Amendment right to free speech. In order to have and enjoy free speech, we must tolerate hate speech along with it. If we wanna be free to open a business, we should allow bigots to open their's and pick n choose their clientel.

Last edited:
The Miss America pageant for a long time was the Miss White America pageant. Learn your history.

It has had black contestants for a long time, and several black women have won it.

No banana.

Whats that got to do with the fact that it was white only?

The fact that it WAS white only is irrelevant. Virtually everything in the South was white only before the Supreme Court overruled Jim Crow laws.

The only relevant issue is whether it's white-only now. It obviously isn't, and the Miss Black American pageant is obviously black only.

How can this be? After all, Rand Paul and the libertarians swear that the free market will prevent businesses from discriminating, hence there's no need for anti-discrimination laws. Yet this business has been discriminating for decades, so it's clearly doing okay by the free market.

It's because prejudice can be profitable for a business, provided a substantial percentage of the people around it are prejudiced in the same way. Hence the need for anti-discrimination laws.

Which business has been discriminating for decades?

And FYI, libertarians never claimed the free market would prevent all businesses from discriminating.

It has had black contestants for a long time, and several black women have won it.

No banana.

Whats that got to do with the fact that it was white only?

The fact that it WAS white only is irrelevant. Virtually everything in the South was white only before the Supreme Court overruled Jim Crow laws.

The only relevant issue is whether it's white-only now. It obviously isn't, and the Miss Black American pageant is obviously black only.

I know you have a hard time with comprehension but that is the whole point. The only reason there is a Black Miss America is because the white one discriminated. if you are a white woman there is nothing that can stop you from competing in the Black Miss America contest. You cant really be this foolish. You must be pretending to be stupid. You are doing a good job.

I don't support any business that would just cater to one race of people black or white, I thought we were past this kind of antique thinking.

That's what I was trying to point out but obviously we are not beyond this thinking.

The law should apply equally to everyone.

If it is accepted for any group, organization or whatever to be Black only, Women only, Jewish only etc then it should be acceptable for any and all to be just as discriminatory.

If it's not acceptable then it should not be acceptable for anyone.

How can this be? After all, Rand Paul and the libertarians swear that the free market will prevent businesses from discriminating, hence there's no need for anti-discrimination laws.

Let the guy discriminate. He'll go out of business soon enough.

Try to legislatively prevent the guy from discriminating. He'll be forced to let all those people he doesn't like in, but then treat them like shit, give them lesser service, etc. He'll stay in business and continue to do this for years.

Maybe he wants the space reserved for people who leave tips and don't try to skip out without paying for their meals. I'm just sayin'.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Pub.L. 88–352, 78 Stat. 241, enacted July 2, 1964) is a landmark piece of civil rights legislation in the United States[4] that outlawed major forms of discrimination against racial, ethnic, national and religious minorities, and women.[5] It ended unequal application of voter registration requirements and racial segregation in schools, at the workplace and by facilities that served the general public (known as "public accommodations").

/thread.

Forum List

Back